• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
7. Bloodstained - Finished on 05/03/2020 Time: ~30 hours for the platinum

It is a really good metroidvania but it doesn't move the genre forward. It combines the best elements of Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow and some other titles. I still rdon't really know if I like the pixel look more or the new style. I think I lean more to the old style.

Coming up: The Last of Us Remastered

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
COMPLETION COUNTER: 17/52

Latest Completion:

1fd254200b9e1c986301551de4eb0a39.png

17. Higurashi When They Cry Kai - Meakashi (PC) | 14th March - 24hrs | 6/10
The first true Answer Arc in the Higurashi series, corresponding with the second question arc Watanagashi. This was a rather meaty entry, providing a lot of key answers that retroactively alter the nature of the earlier episodes. Shion is the main character this time, and we get a lot of insight into the inner politics of Hinamizawa and how the Three Families actually exert control over the town. A large portion of the episode also details the year prior to Keiichi's arrival in Hinamizawa, necessarily fleshing out Satoshi's backstory. This is also the longest entry thus far, taking roughly twice as long to read as any of the previous chapters. That being said, there is a lot of retreading going on in this chapter as well, with whole scenes lifted from Watanagashi in order to add insight from Shion's point of view. It also contains the first branching path in the series, though that may only be if you are playing with the 07th Mod installed. A strong entry, as long as you can stomach some repeat scenes and the longer runtime.

Full List in Original Post

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 11: By far my most productive week of the year thus far. Finished 3 games this week, started 2 games as well and dropped Call of Cthulhu.

15. Donut County - What a delightful little game. Really loved all the characters you meet and the mechanics they introduce. Not much more to say as it's a short game so if you haven't played it and have 2 hours to spare do it.

16. Resident Evil Revelations - I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I've played all the mainline games, but never the spin-offs and this was a nice marriage of old school RE and the subsequent games. Bring on Resident Evil 3!

17. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear - I enjoyed this more then the base game. The ending was by far the weakest point of the expansion, but everything leading up to it was well done.

Currently Playing:
1. Doom (2016) - I tried this game back around its launch and wasn't feeling it at the time. This time around I've already played further then I had previously and look forward to finish it in the next 7 days.

2. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Seeing as I finally played a Resident Evil spinoff before RE3R launch i decided to do the same before the FF7R launch. Going off of a guide I'm around halfway thru. Not as bad as I was lead to believe although some of the character designs are awful and the story seems all over the place.

Not really sure what else is next after these 2 games, but a replay of The Last of Us and Left Behind are on the agenda before TLOU2 launches in May.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
270px-Ori_and_the_Blind_Forest_Logo.jpg

21. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One) Mar 15 6.5 Hrs ★★★★
Really great game. Beautiful art, music and story. Really something special here.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

Took way too long to provide an update.

16. Emily is Away- PC
Completed 2/15/20
Score - 8/10

This one really took me back to high school and early college. Really interesting experience and it really made me feel like I took a time machine. Extremely simple game but that is exactly what it needs to be. Curious how the follow-up is.

ss_08e2c212c04db9807696a24d142d5b788d4cfc42.1920x1080.jpg

17. Half-Life 2 - PC
Completed 2/21/20
Score - 10/10

I have finished this game so many times and on so many different platforms and yet it never gets old. Sure the boat level is a bit long but that is really the only negative I can say about my experience. The sound design and world building of this game hits all the right buttons for me. After replaying this, I am 10x more excited to re-enter the world of Half-Life with Alyx and see where they go.

220px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

18. Half-Life 2: Lost Cost - PC
Completed 2/22/20
Score - 8/10

Basically a tech-demo but it was really interesting to hear Valves thoughts on HDR back then. The level was originally cut from Half-Life 2 but it would have easily fit in just fine. Fun and quick. If you are a fan there is no reason to not give it a quick go.

Half-Life_2_Lost_Coast_header.jpg

19. Half-Life 2: Episode One - PC
Completed 2/27/20
Score - 8/10

This one always felt off to me. Every time I play it I think I expect a bit more. It's over almost as soon as it starts and not too much happens. I still enjoy it but it's a mark down from what the main game did for the universe.

header.jpg

20. Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Completed 2/28/20
Score - 7/10

This was a blast to play. I don't play fighting games often. The last I played was MK X a few years ago. I really liked playing the story mode on this and each fighter felt pretty easy to pick up and go to town on. I will have to pick up part 2 at some point!

c1c65d8e3c25883b5b76030c27f1f62a0888148e.jpg

21. Portal - PC
Completed 3/2/20
Score - 9/10

What a treat. I haven't played portal since back on the original Orange Box release and it still has a perfect charm to it. While the puzzles were much easier than I remember, the fun was still on par. I love playing through this again and will probably put on Portal 2 soon.

portal-logo.jpg

22. Eagle Flight - PSVR
Completed 3/6/20
Score - 7/10

This was a fun fairly short VR game. You fly over a post apocalyptic Paris as an Eagle. The controls work really well and really just use your head to move around. I had a lot of fun until the end. The final level/boss fight was actually pretty tough. Not sure how multiplayer is or if many play it. Might pop in it at some point.

23. Half-Life 2: Episode Two - PC
Completed 3/7/20
Score - 9/10

A much better chapter after Episode One. This felt like an honest continuation of the story and world building that fits Half-Life. I still found the final chapter to be extremely difficult but maybe it should be. Still a shame to be left with the ending we got for over a decade with barely a comment from Valve. Glad to see we are back to it with Alyx and can't wait to see where the story goes. I am ready!!!

header.jpg

24. Crash Bandicoot - PS4
Completed 3/14/20
Score - 7/10

Holy crap this game was hard as hell. I popped this in thinking it would be a fun quick platformer...and nope. I have since learned how difficult this game is considered. It did help me press on. I originally thought it was just me that wasn't very good at it. Some of the levels were insanely hard. The High Road for sure but also some of the levels near the end. Every boss was a cake walk though. I enjoyed it but also hated it at the same time. Hoping 2 and 3 are a little more fun and better to play.

5648812341_f7c2e24ac2_b.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - 16/03/2020

Kaneko's swan song, and the once and future king of MegaTen.

Nocturne can suck it.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

NmByiW9.png

#11 Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut PS3 8.5 - 28 hours
I enjoy checking out these cult games, while I didn't really get on with Shenmue as much as I would have liked, this one was really great. The dialogue, the characters, the side quests, the music, the town. It's all great. There's so many little interactions and so much you can miss, I was just totally engrosed the whole time.
Sure there are times where the shooting and driving get a little tiring but it was always worth it to see what came after that. I will however admit the technical side of things are a mess. Just how can a game look AND run so bad? When a game has this much heart though, it's easily overlooked.

#12 Resident Evil 7: biohazard PS4 8.0 - 9 hours
Definitley a return to form after RE6, it looks great, I loved the setting and at times it's pretty damn scary. Pretty reminiscent of REmake. The game does drop a bit in the last third and I could have done with some more enemy variety but overall this was very good. Also played the Not A Hero DLC which was 'ite, pretty fun to blast through.

#13 God Hand PS2 8.0 - 9 hours
I'm glad I revisited this, didn't really give it a good shot the first time, I think I got overwhelmed by the amount of moves you can choose from but now I see that's like the best thing about the game! Making your own combos is really fun. The cutscenes are stupid and sometimes hilarious. It certainly takes some getting used to but I did and it was a good challenge, though it doesn't feel as good to play when you get surrounded by enemies, it's more suited to one-on-ones.

#14 Detroit: Become Human PS4 6.5 - 10 hours
Amazing visuals and presentation but a bit of a thin and ham-fisted story with some awkward writing at times. There's some times where very little is happening in either the story or the gameplay which could get a bit boring.

#15 Prey PS4 7.5 - 15 hours
Good and rewarding exploration but lackluster combat and I couldn't really get interested in the main plot, though the ending was cool. Kinda feels like a game I've already played but it has some interesting abilites and the gloo gun is a creative tool. Not really sure why I didn't like this one a bit more but it didn't really do it for me as much as I had hoped.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Up to 14.

Anyone else anticipating people's lists jumping up quite a bit as more and more self isolate from work / school?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
53. Murder by Numbers
20200223032130_1-100834424-large.jpg

This is a picross/nonagram puzzle game with a visual novel style presentation. The art style is nice and the game has some very impressive characters. The nonagrams start ramping up the difficulty from the 2nd case onwards and I've enjoyed my time playing it for the most part.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

6. Gears 5 - 123 hours
I'll be honest with you, for me Gears 5 is like a guilty pleasure. The main reason why I bought it is that I wanted to check out how Xbox Live integration works in the Steam version of this game. After all, it was the first big game from Microsoft that was released simultaneously on Steam and Windows Store. I can't say that I was very interested in actually playing it - in my eyes, it looked like another seasonal blockbuster that I would play once and then quickly move on to the next thing in my backlog. But instead, I ended up enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would. At this moment, I've played it for over 120 hours, and I'm afraid those numbers might not be final. So now, after completing the story campaign and 2 "operations" of online matches, I'm ready to tell you why I've enjoyed this game so much.

Let's clarify, I was never a big fan of the Gears of War franchise before. I've played some of the old games from this series but never finished any of them. So yeah, I'm still surprised that this time it clicked for me so well. It's hard to explain why exactly I ended up having so much fun with this game - I realize it's not perfect, but at the same time I couldn't stop playing it. I think the main reason why that happened is because Gears 5 simply feels great to play. The gunplay, animations, sound, it's all done on such a good level that the gameplay loop just never gets old. The Coalition refined the core gameplay of this franchise, so it's very enjoyable on a basic level, such as movement and shooting. Yeah, it's a cookie-cutter cover-based TPS game, but I mean, Gears of War is literally THE series that started this trend, so it's understandable.

It doesn't mean that The Coalition hasn't tried to experiment with a classic formula, but the results are, well, mixed. The most drastic changes happened with the story campaign - while the first and the last acts remain mostly linear, developers tried to add some sort of open-world in the middle of the game. It's not fully open, but more like a hub that connects important locations and has needless side activities like quests and collectibles. It reminded me of the Kingdom from the original Assassin's Creed - it's huge, empty and serves no real purpose except to waste your time. It simply doesn't feel natural, it's just a bunch of narrow roads with nothing worthwhile in between. Level designers of Gears 5 missed one important point - in open-world design, it's not enough to just create a huge map and fill it with the garbage that you need to collect. If you want to create a good open-world, you need to fill it with some sort of meaningful content and add random events like groups of enemies roaming around. Gears 5 still heavily relies on scripted events, and that's why the open-world in this game feels half-baked and empty, even though it has some cool ideas using the Skiff to glide across the open areas.

The Coalition didn't succeed in creating a good open-world, but it's not the only experiment they've tried to make. Another big addition to the gameplay is JACK - your flying robot-companion that can activate special abilities to help you in the fight. And this new mechanic is actually not so bad because it adds the new tactical layer to the combat. For example, you can use the Hijack ability to mind control Scions or other enemies and make them temporarily fight on your side. Also, JACK can be controlled in co-op by another player and it has an absolutely different gameplay loop, which adds to replayability. JACK is the main reason why you should care about the open-world stuff at all because you are getting upgrades for him as a reward for completing side missions.

The linear sections in Gears 5 is exactly what you can expect from this series - a lot of brutal action with occasional cinematic intermissions in between. I can't say that the story in this game was something amazing, but it's competent enough to keep you entertained, even if you didn't follow the storyline of the previous games from this franchise. The campaign has a few unexpected twists and level designers tried to provide different combat situations as well. Like, I loved that on some of the winter levels you can break the ice and freeze the enemies. Or there was a part in the sand areas where the storm wind could affect the trajectory of grenades. I think that overall it was a solid and well-balanced campaign, and my only complaint is going to be about the Matriarch boss fight. It took me way too much time to beat it and it's obvious that this fight was not designed for a solo playthrough. It was a very frustrating experience, I can't say how many times I was close to killing this goddamn thing and then I was instantly killed after a single hit.

Anyway, it's good to see that The Coalition is trying to do something new. And after completing the campaign, I left with the feeling that it was just a testing ground for the studio. In Gears 4, the new team has tried to simply replicate the gameplay of the classic trilogy. In Gears 5, they dared to experiment a little and add new elements to the familiar concept. So, if developers won't mess it up, we'll see the actual results of this evolution of the franchise in the next mainline game. And I'm very curious to see how far they will dare to go next time, especially after what they did in the ending of Gears 5. Judging by what we got now, Gears 6 is going to be an even more ambitious game, and it will be interesting to see if The Coalition will be able to deliver the result comparable to their ambitions.

Okay, enough about the campaign, it's time to talk about the main reason why I've spent so much time in this game. I'm not very into online and always preferred a singleplayer experience, but Gears 5 got me hooked almost instantly. As a fan of the arena FPS genre, I've enjoyed the fast-paced gameplay of PvP modes in this game a lot. I also have fun occasionally playing the Horde mode, though it requires a lot of time to finish all the waves. I seriously don't understand what's the point of showing the unskippable score screen after every wave, it just ruins the pacing. Also, I'm not sure that turning characters into ''heroes'' with their own skills and specialization was a good idea because without a balanced team any Horde match on a difficulty above Advanced usually ends within the first few waves.

But my favorite part of Gears 5 online is a brand-new co-op mode called Escape. In this mode, you and 2 other players are trying to break from the Swarm Hive before it'll be destroyed. Just as in the Horde mode, each character has their own ultimate abilities and customizable skillset, but it makes a lot more sense here. In most cases, you start Escape run only with the pistol and have to find ammo and weapons on the map. There are also specific difficulty modifiers for each map, like in some cases you'll have invisible Juvies or there will be less ammo to scavenge on the levels. Maps are rotating each week and have leaderboards, which has motivated me to come back to the game and try to beat a new challenge. Not to mention that there's a map editor that allows you to create and share your own custom maps. For me, Escape is still the main reason to come back to the game. It's great that we are getting new challenges every week and it always remains fun even if you play with random players.

Though there's another reason why I've played Gears 5 for so long, and I'm not sure that it was a good reason. Yes, I'm talking about Battle Pass - or, how they call it in this game, Tour of Duty. At first, it didn't look like something bad to me, I was actually glad that the game gives me rewards for playing it because I was returning to it often anyway. But then I somehow didn't notice the moment when instead of playing the game for fun, I started playing it daily just for the sake of completing Tour of Duty challenges. I realized how much time I spent on the grind only when I reached the final rank, and after that, I stopped playing the game for an entire week. I ended up spending almost 85 hours to complete the first "operation", and that's including boosts that I got for buying Ultimate Edition. Good thing that you don't need to pay any additional money for that, but still, I think they need to balance it better. Because there's no way in hell I would do that again.

Alongside with Battle Pass, Gears 5 has an in-game store where you can buy skins and emotes with Iron - a premium currency that you can get in small amounts for free. I don't like seeing microtransactions in paid games, but The Coalition said that it was added to justify getting all new updates and maps without forcing players to pay additional money for them, so I didn't mind it at first. They also added new characters that you could have unlocked for free by completing challenges, which was also fine by me because I was grinding Tour of Duty anyway. But then the second season started, and... All we've got is 3 basic PvP modes, 4 new heroes and a bunch of recycled maps. The most annoying thing about that was the fact they've made it a lot harder to unlock new characters for free. In the first operation, with the exception of one special challenge, you had general objectives that were the same for every character, so it was relatively easy to unlock them if you were playing all online modes. But in the second operation, new characters have their own very specific challenges, and it's a pain in the ass now to unlock them just by playing the game. And the most ridiculous thing about that - you can't do challenges for all characters at once, so it can take a few hundreds of hours to unlock them all for free. Yeah, thanks, but I'll pass, this is bullshit. Thankfully, those characters are not required to keep having fun online, and if you don't care about multiplayer modes, you shouldn't worry about this stuff at all.

To conclude this review, Gears 5 has a few major flaws, but if you enjoy fast-paced games and not strongly against some typical AAA bullshit, then I recommend you give it a try. Even if you are not interested in multiplayer and co-op, it has a decent singleplayer campaign that is fun to finish at least once. And on a technical level the PC version of Gears 5 is flawless, it is well optimized and has tons of options that you can tweak. I just only hope that the developers will listen to the feedback and continue to improve the core gameplay, so the next mainline game in this franchise will be something truly great.

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
13/52.

cZUynac.jpg

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag | uPlay (via Steam) | 2/5 | 34 hours
I didn't really like this game. I originally played AC3 when it came out because I am interested in the American Revolutionary war and was VERY bored with that game and gave it up after about 5 hours. I got Origins when it was in a humble monthly and a buddy gave me a free copy of Odyssey that he couldn't use and played some of those before this game. I know this game is supposed to be a sort of turning point for the series but I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't particularly care for any of the characters or the story. I disliked the missions that involved me following people and, even worse, following a boat in your boat but you can't get seen at all. For the first chunk of the game I was going from island to island collecting stuff and then I decided that I didn't really care that much and just powered through the story to finish it.

This game still seems to sort of be an action/stealth game set in a large world with collectables while the newer games seem to have more RPG elements while also have a shitload of collecatbles. I would rather re-install Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey at some point in the future and finish those.

Main Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
13/52.

cZUynac.jpg

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag | uPlay (via Steam) | 2/5 | 34 hours
I didn't really like this game. I originally played AC3 when it came out because I am interested in the American Revolutionary war and was VERY bored with that game and gave it up after about 5 hours. I got Origins when it was in a humble monthly and a buddy gave me a free copy of Odyssey that he couldn't use and played some of those before this game. I know this game is supposed to be a sort of turning point for the series but I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't particularly care for any of the characters or the story. I disliked the missions that involved me following people and, even worse, following a boat in your boat but you can't get seen at all. For the first chunk of the game I was going from island to island collecting stuff and then I decided that I didn't really care that much and just powered through the story to finish it.

This game still seems to sort of be an action/stealth game set in a large world with collectables while the newer games seem to have more RPG elements while also have a shitload of collecatbles. I would rather re-install Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey at some point in the future and finish those.

Main Post
I would highly recommend anyone that likes Creed games or adventure/rpg to play Origins. Loved that game.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Main Post

Getting a damn late start to this but better late than never I suppose:

1) Nancy Drew Midnight in Salem | PC | 7 1/2 Hours | Feb. 13, 2020 | 2/5

mlIgd5l.jpg

Oh man this was not great. After a 5 year hiatus and Her Interactive playing a constant game of will this or will this not come out, numerous delays and some of the worst PR in general I've ever seen, their most recent entry to the series crawled its way to PC and Mac in November of 2019. This game was absolutely chock full of performance issues, audio and graphical glitches, terrible graphics in general an a few crashes thrown in for good measure. So yeah the game is a technical mess but does the story and game-play hold up at all? Unfortunately, not really. The story is ok but the game is extremely linear which is a huge shift from the previous 32 games in the series which allow you to investigate things in many different orders. Some character motivations don't make a whole ton of sense and open several large plot holes that anyone with a decent sense of logic will be able to spot quickly. Midnight in Salem is also way too dialog heavy at the expense of the puzzles themselves. I seriously think that almost 2/3 of the game are spent in conversation with someone.

Overall a really disappointing entry in the series, especially after 5 years of development time. It's also sad to think this may very well be the last Nancy Drew game ever released (at least under Her Interactive) as the way I hear it, they are running severely low on cash and are in danger of bankruptcy. This game, I'm sad to say, will definitely not help them any.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Spider-man | PS4 | Guessing ~ 40-50 hours (don't know exactly because PS4 doesn't track hours played for some stupid reason | Mar. 18, 2020 | 5/5

7BmkVEx.jpg

As a massive Spider-man fan, I've been waiting for this game my whole life and god dammit this game delivered in spades! It nails every character it presents, it nails the combat, it nails the story, and it absolutely kills it on the swinging and traversal aspect, providing the best movement system to date!

I love this game. From the moment you first start swinging to Fisk's penthouse to the final battle with main villain, never was I bored or not invested in the story. I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the best pieces of Spidey media in all of his history, including comics, movies, cartoons, etc. The last 2 or so hours or so especially push it over the top for me. It makes the final battle with the main villain feel more personal than it ever has and the ending set pieces are incredible.

Aside from the main story this game provides you with a plethora of side activities as well for times when you just want to dick around and explore the city a bit. Letting you buy multiple suits as a reward is a great incentive to get these things done and I'm proud to say I platinumed this game and finished everything you possibly could (save for getting a few 'spectaculars' on a select few incredibly tough Taskmaster Challenges).

That might be my only gripe with the game. Some of the Taskmaster Challenges seem way more difficult than the majority for some reason. The combat challenges are piss easy once you hit the end game and unlock the quad damage upgrade and the stealth challenges seem to be very forgiving in the amount of time it gives you to still hit 'spectacular'. The majority of the drone challenges are ok because at least you can take your time throughout most the the challenge and only have to really speed up at the end. The bomb challenges though are some garbage. To me the way they graded you on them seemed totally random at times, giving me a high score when I thought I did quite poorly, and a lower one when I only screwed up one time. It seemed you had to be near perfect if you wanted that 'spectacular' score and as a result most of them I never perfected if I didn't need to.

Aside from that one gripe, this game is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
21. Tangle Tower - 20/03/2020

It's alright. Adventure games really aren't my thing and I'm a giant dumbass so puzzles were a hassle, but the quirky characters, lovely art and haunting music all pushed me forward.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #20 - Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition
Time: 10 hours
Rating: ★★★★

So close to greatness, and yet so far. This is how I felt when I played Ori back in 2015, and this replay on the Switch didnt change my mind unfortunately. It's still a fantastic metroidvania that could, or should be amazing, but it's completely marred (in my opinion of course) by awful "escape" sequences (if you played the game you know the ones) that really grind any momentum the game has to a halt and are often incredibly frustrating full of OHKOs and ultra precise platforming that makes you restart the whole thing when you die. It was a shame back then and its a shame now, as otherwise the game is just absolutely fantastic, and so is the Switch port, a near perfect port that looks even more beautiful if thats possible on the smaller screen. A great game that could have been an amazing one, and apparently they doubled down on those escape sequences in the sequel so I am not looking forward to that at all whenever I get around to it.

Main Post

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
header_292x136.jpg

Game 9: Black Mesa (PC) (3 Hours) (3/5) (March 21st, 2020)
This was my introduction to Half Life 1 and my GOD was it good. Had never even opened Half Life 1 before this and I think it enhanced the experience. Visuals are BEAUTIFUL and Xen is one of the most gorgeous places I've seen in games for a while. I don't really have much more to say, it's Half Life!

Main Post

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
9. Mr. Driller G (Arcade).

Definitely one of the easier games in the series as you can now choose characters with different abilities. I chose the robot as it can take an extra hit.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #21 - Borderlands 3
Time: 43 hours

Not much to say about this one, as it basically boils down to "do you like Borderlands and do you want more Borderlands?". If the answer to those two questions is yes, like it is for me, then this is probably the best game in the series so far, it's by far the biggest one, with more locations, it has the best changes to class design and loot seems more generous this time around, there's a nifty new slide move to add mobility, but at it's core, it's still the same game for better or worse. The writing hasnt changed much either, it's still often super cringy, ocasionally funny, so again, you know what to expect. I sound dismissive but I really liked it, but again, I'm a huge fan of the series and the gameplay loop.

Main Post

Oct 28, 2017
I'm up to 18/52 as we're approaching the end of the first quarter of 2020. I'll be posting a few updates hopefully by the end of the month.

picsart_01-07-10.35.35.jpg

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, developed by DONTNOD, is a short, free-to-play (F2P) prequel story to Life is Strange 2. Captain Spirit is a story about a single dad raising a young kid with a vivid imagination. If you've played Life is Strange (LiS) before, there shouldn't be many surprises here. For a short prequel episode, Captain Spirit nearly felt like it offered as much content as a full-length LiS episode. There are a decent amount of choices to make and a plethora of objects to interact with, although I couldn't tell if all of the choices you made had a major impact on the final scene (although, if you shovel the snow off of your staircase and set off the fireworks, these particular events seem to have been referenced, which I'm assuming wouldn't have been triggered if you didn't opt to complete these scenes prior).​

The best thing about Captain Spirit is seeing the kid's imagination play out in dramatic cut scenes (such as navigating a dark, maze-like cavern which happens to be just a pile of junk in the front yard or pretending that your dad's truck is a fully operational spaceship that's landed on some alien landscape). It's super endearing and the acting, although sometimes awkward in a Twin Peak's sort of way, is decent enough. I haven't played a DONTNOD game since finishing the first LiS well over a year ago, so I really enjoyed my short time spent with this "demo" of sorts. I did manage to finish the game with no hints and with the TO-DO list completed, too. The experience certainly whet my appetite for Life is Strange 2 proper.​

picsart_01-11-12.51.57.jpg

Arise: A Simple Story is a 3D platformer developed by Piccolo, an indie studio out of Barcelona, Spain. It's a narrative-driven adventure game, not unlike Journey, that tells a tragic story of life, love and loss from what appears to be during the Viking-age. At its core, Arise is a simple puzzle-platformer, however, the game utilizes an interesting mechanic where the player can fast forward/rewind time in order to manipulate the environment. The thing that stood out to me the most about the game was how the developer utilized this simple time-bending mechanic in unique ways. In one stage, manipulating time causes the tides to rise/lower, which allows the player to cross areas which would have otherwise been covered in water. In another level, time can be manipulated in order to spread/douse a wildfire in order to reach areas engulfed by flames. While it's a mechanic that has been used in countless games before, it's implemented extremely well here and the developers rarely repeat an idea more than once.​

Arise has no dialogue and everything is told through flashback sequences from memories that you can collect throughout its handful of chapters. These scenes are depicted by illustrations which tell the tragic tale of a young tribal boy and girl and their journey through life. While the game is meant to tell an emotional story, it doesn't quite hit the same marks as say something like Journey, but similar to how I felt about 2019's Sea of Solitude, perhaps the game will resonate with certain people more than others. One last thing I'll say about the game is that it's visually beautiful. It's a very colorful-looking game and it uses a soft color palette scheme. There's an almost stop-motion quality to its animations at times, specifically when looking at the environment while you're fast forwarding/rewinding time, too. I completed the game with 100% of the trophies and it was time well spent.​

picsart_01-12-05.32.56.png

Mom Hid My Game! for the Nintendo Switch is a port of the mobile game developed by Kemco/hap Inc. It's apparently a "best of" collection based on levels from the mobile games, perhaps with some scenarios exclusive to the Switch version? I'm not entirely too sure. Mom Hid My Game! is a silly point 'n click puzzle game where a kid must find his portable gaming device (which is very clearly a Nintendo DS) that has been hidden by his mother. Each level presents the player with a ridiculous scenario and in order to obtain the elusive game hidden somewhere in your house, the boy must poke around a variety of rooms while avoiding his mother's judgment or other ridiculous hazards (such as retrieving the gaming device from an alligator's mouth or avoiding cyclists who are biking around your living room). The game's comprised of 50 levels (and a strange mini-game where you collect poses from a gymnast). I completed everything with no hints and even got 100% of the gymnast poses (which was a bit of a grind, but oddly addicting). I'd recommend this only if you're looking for short sessions between another game's long loading screens (see Destiny 2 on PS4).​
picsart_01-15-09.39.08.png

Squidlit, developed by Squidlit Ink LLC, is another short & sweet 2D platformer made specifically with the limitations of the original Game Boy in mind. According to an interview, the developers went to great lengths to capture the specifications of the original Game Boy hardware, including its 4 sound channels, 60 x 144 resolution screen and the system's inability to display more than 10 sprites in a horizontal line. The game is about as long as the original Kirby's Dreamland on Game Boy, if not shorter. It's a pretty straightforward game with very few puzzles, if any. Most of the game has the player simply moving from point A to point B, with a few towns to wander through, some NPCs to chat with and a handful of bosses to defeat. Speaking of the bosses, they're probably the most interesting aspect of the game. One encounter has the player jumping into the pages of a spell-book. By inking certain sections of the book, you can disable certain moves the boss uses. It's a rather impressive/standout sequence, if you think about it in terms of what the original Game Boy could produce.​

It's also difficult not to compare this game to Save me Mr Tako: Tasukete Tako-San, which released back in 2018. Same me Mr Tako was another Game Boy-inspired 2D platformer where you play as an Octopus. While the later is much more lengthier and robust in terms of features, there's still something endearing about Squidlit's simplicity and adherence to its source hardware. As I've gotten older, I've enjoyed shorter games due to work/life responsibilities, too. If you're looking for something simple and nostalgic to play in one sitting, you can't go wrong with Squidlit. I completed the game twice with no deaths on Switch, but unlike the Steam/PC version, there's very little incentive to replay the game since it's missing the additional Steam Achievements which might make the experience more worthwhile.​

picsart_01-26-01.25.53.jpg

Hi-Bit Studio's 198X, at first-glance, feels like a downloadable promotional piece that would have launched alongside the release of 2018's Ready Player One, but it's certainly much more than that. I've said it before, but today's indie scene is littered with nostalgia-driven throwback experiences. If you were born in the late 80s/early 90s, there's nearly something for everyone here. There's a beat 'em up akin to the classic Streets of Rage franchise, a Gradius-like shmup, a racing game in the vein of OutRun, an auto-runner that's clearly a homage to the old Shinobi games and even a first-person dungeon crawler reminiscent of the older Phantasy Star games. 198X is more of a narrative-driven experience, however, than the collection of retro-inspired games it appears to be. The game is also a bit of a coming of age story as it tells the tale of what it was like being a nerdy kid in the 80s; having few friends, finding your voice in the arcades, and distancing yourself from society.​

198X begins with the Streets of Rage-like title called "Beating Heart". After a few combat sequences, the game ends with a boss encounter that you can't even finish, as the screen pans upwards and transitions into a new story vignette before the next title begins. In retrospect, it felt like the developers gave you just enough time to get a feel for the game before they pulled you out of the experience, which can feel somewhat disappointing considering how well made each entry was. Ultimately, each game is essentially a few screens long, but they all feel/play like genuine titles from their respective genres. While it's also a relatively short game, there are a handful of relatively challenging trophies to pursue, which definitely take a certain degree of mastery to achieve. I completed the game once and earned a few of the trophies and I'll likely go back for the rest at a later date.​

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
54. Doom Eternal
E341D021C249BE0850C9F440E14F97C01A2A79A0

Whooo boy, this was a kickass ride but alas, much like its predecessor the game felt a little longer than it should, plus I felt that upgrades could've been done better.
Non the less it is a GOTY contender as its base combat and gameplay are really well done.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
11. Tetris The Grand Master 2+ (Normal Mode)

Not my best run, nor the prettiest but a completion none the less

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
55. Rune Lord
1528244635_rune-lord-screenshot1.jpg

A match 3 game with a fantasy setting, as your progress through the levels you earn coins with which you can get additional abilities that allow you to wrack up scores and be able to destroy more coloured stones. Each 3 or more matched stones give you a rune, with each colour having a unique rune symbol to it.

Each level consists of getting a set number of runes (20, 50, etc.) before the timer runs out, but with the abilities you get from spending coins, they help to clear the level's goals more efficiently.
One neat novely that the game does is that the protagonist (pictured above), gets more equipment and a cloak, the more abilities you unlock.

While it doesn't do anything new i the match 3 genre, it is fulfils the role of 'take a break' game from when you want to cool off from playing a bigger game.

56. GundeadliGne
gundeadligne-sh2.jpg

I don't think I care how its pronounced but I need to stop blind buying shoot'em-ups that might be bullet hells. Non the less this was a more managable game for me than its predecessor, Hitogata Happa.

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Main post

12. Guardian Heroes (Xbox 360)

I haven't played this game in a long long time. One of the best beat' em ups ever made, imo. With the brancing paths and the many unlockable characters, this game offers a lot of replayability.

ETutxOBXYAco62D

ETutx4eWAAYyyq-

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Main post

13. Portal (Xbox 360)

I've owned this game on Steam since it came out, but haven't played it till now. Very fun physicsbased puzzle game.

ETvaM39XQAEDZyl

ETvaNUaWkAMtWnX

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 12: Finished only 1 game this week, but am close to finishing 3 others.

18. Vampyr - Why did I wait so long to play this game? I loved it despite getting 1 of the bad endings. Loved the story, characters and the music was really good as well. I will say it was weird playing a game about a plague and quarantine zones in these times.

Currently playing:
1. Doom (2016) - Nearing the end and minus some annoying platforming sections I'm really enjoying this. Will be my 1st Doom game and really enjoy finding data logs and reading the lore.

2. Titanfall 2 - Similar experience to Doom, loving it despite some annoying platforming/wall running sequences. Should be done in the next day or two as well.

3. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Haven't had a chance to make much progress this week, but I would say I'm a little over halfway thru. Game is rough around the edges, but still a decent swimming in 7's type of game.

4. Sparkle 2 - Not sure if I'll finish this, but I have 3 out of the 5 keys.

Time permitting will finish Doom and Titanfall 2 this week and looking forward to starting the 1st Control dlc this week before Persona 5 Royal and Resident Evil 3 Remake come out next week.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Master Post

Update #007

This will probably be my last big update for awhile. I'm working on Animal Cross: New Horizons as well as Red Dead 2 and I don't really envision finishing those any time soon. I'm also partially through Final Fantasy XIII, but I haven't checked back in on that game in about a month, and I'm about three or four hours into Pokemone Mystery Dungeon. I'd like to at least get through one of these games before adding something new to my rotation, but I think it'll be awhile before I get the chance. I'm glad I managed to get through so much of my backlog this year so quickly. I only finished 35 games last year and I'm already up to 31 this year which I'm incredibly proud of.

28. Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame | PC | Completed 17/03/2020 | ★★

For an official Supercross game I was expecting it to have deeper systems and a more fulfilling career mode but this was still okay. Everything is just passable if underwhelming. There are times when the racing physics feel really weird, even when changed to normal from the default assisted, and things like scrubbing and drifting just don't feel intuitive or satisfying. I can't tell if I'm underwhelmed or impressed by this game considering I didn't really have high expectations for MONSTER ENERGY THE OFFICIAL VIDEOGAME. It's serviceable and if you were a big Supercross fan I'm sure it would tick enough boxes to be worth it

29. Half-Life 2 | PC | Completed 18/03/2020 |

It feels very weird and stupid to be like 'hey did you guys know that Half-Life 2 is good?' in the year of our lord 2020 but, like, did you guys know that Half-Life 2 is really good? I spent the entire time playing it just blown away by how well it holds up. It looks a little dated (especially in the character models, which is funny when you consider G-man's face being like the big reveal for this game), but the art style still looks so good and it carries it a long way. But the thing that is so, so impressive is how well the gameplay holds up. Nothing about playing this game really feels dated, it's so fresh and fun and executes on every idea it has almost perfectly. If Half-Life 2 never existed and this exact campaign came out like a year ago I think it would still be an incredibly well regarded first person shooter. It's just good in an almost timeless way that very few games from *2004* are. Like there are a lot of games from 2014 that don't hold up as well has Half-Life 2 does. It's just phenomenal.

I also played Lost Coast which was fine. It's cool that it exists in a standalone form but it also makes sense as to why it was cut. I wish that other companies leveraged cut content in this way, though, because it's really neat to be able to see it.

30. Half-Life 2: Episode One | PC | Completed 19/03/2020 |

This is the fifth Half-Life game that I've played in the last month and it's where the fatigue has started to set in. I really enjoyed the first hour or so of Episode One where you are just in the Citadel and only have the Gravity Gun and it's alternating between normal gravity and the super version, but once you get out of the Citadel and start getting guns and weapons and stuff it started to feel like a bit of a grind. It's still a very good game but, especially coming right off of Half-Life 2, it doesn't really do anything to differentiate itself at all and just feels like a lot more of the same.

31. Half-Life 2: Episode Two | PC | Completed 24/03/2020 |

Damn they really just did leave it like that.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
220px-Yakuza_Kiwami_cover.jpg

23. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) Mar 24
★★

Enjoyed Zero more but not by much. The Majima popping up whenever got annoying too. But same top notch voice acting and interesting story.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #22 - The Final Station
Time: 4 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

Absolute gem of a game, this 2d survival horror romp condenses the best part of games like Resident Evil into a super tight 2D adventure, where scavaging for resources to craft healing items or ammo is as important as using your melee or getting headshots correctly to save ammo. Great pixel art, fantastic moody soundtrack, great gameplay as you go from station to station on your train, scrouging for items, saving survivors, maintaining your train via various little minigames, just a fantastic mix of systems and gameplay and at around 5 hours long, it never overstays it's welcome and it's easily one of my favorite indie games in the last few years.

header.jpg

Game #23 - The Final Station: The Only Traitor
Time: 2.5 hours

Great DLC that gives you more Final Station goodness and also introduces some new mechanics. Much like the main game, it leaves a lot of questions up in the air, but the survival horror / resource gathering gameplay is still great, the writing is still tight and the whole thing feels both like more of the main game, but also different enough to be worth playing. It's not very long (neither was the main game) but if you liked / played The final Station, it's pretty much a must play.

Main Post

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
27: Tales of Zestiria. End: 3/26/2020. 31 Hours. Meh.

I had decided to catch up on the Tales games I missed and finally reached Zestiria. I had my share of issues with this game. I thought it drowned itself in uninteresting lore and had a very slow start. It picked up a bit later on, but by the end I just couldn't wait to finish this game and put it behind me. Probably my least favorite Tales game I have played.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I ain't gonna make it but I'm gonna have fun trying. I see this challenge as a way to gameify my backlog!

I'm doing better than previous years so far:

1. Death Stranding (PS4) | 4th Jan - 70hrs | 3/5
2. Donut County (PS4) | 20th Jan - 10hrs - platinum| 3/5
3. Control (PS4) | 20th Jan - 40hrs | 4/5
4. Jackbox Party Pack 6 (PS4) | 31st Jan - 20hrs | 3/5
5. Dreams (PS4) | 21st Feb - 400hrs - platinum | 5/5
6. Resident Evil 2: Remake (PS4) | 17th March - 20hrs | 3/5
7. Peggle 2 (PS4) | 20th March - 15hrs | 3/5
8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4) | 22nd March - 8hrs | 4/5
9. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (PS4) | 25th March - 18hrs - platinum | 4/5
10. 2point Hospital (PS4) | 09th April - 40hrs | 3/5
11. Injustice (PS4) | 25th June - 6hrs | 3/5
12. The Last Of Us Part 2 | 14th July - 50hrs | 5/5

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
22. Panzer Dragoon Remake - 26/03/2020

It's good! Go buy it! Please! I need more Panzer Dragoon!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
57. Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
DxOJaGYWwAALn55.jpg

Huh, this was indeed easier than I expected. The game does give you loads of 1ups to help out in the final stages too, and overall I thought it was a nice action platformer.

58. Darkwing Duck (NES)
168982.jpg

No wonder some fans keep referring to this as a Megaman game; Darkwing has the Mega Buster and his cape functions as Protoman's shield.
A pretty nice action platformer though it had some annoying moments. The Arrow weapon is the best in the game as it deals great damage and helps create platforms to jump on.
I was stumped on the final boss for a while until I realized there's an easy pattern to beat them.

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
super-mario-maker-2---button-v2-1550784835813.jpg

24. Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch) Mar 26 9 9 Hrs ★★★
Some of the levels are fun. Some weren't. I don't know how much, if any, time I will spend on the course making. I figure my kids will mess with that part. They enjoy Minecraft.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
20! And so, in time honoured tradition we start a new post.

#1-20

21. Balloon Kid (Gameboy) - 27/03/20 - ~4 hours (All Achievements [RA])

This was a really pleasant surprise. Didn't own it as a kid. Never played Balloon Fight on the NES as I didn't have that platform at all.

Balloon Kid is a brisk, auto scroller that sees you balancing hovering flight (facilitated by balloons strapped to your character) and slippy platforming (when your balloons are popped or released). The mix of movement mechanics makes the game feel instantly unique, and your ability to switch on the fly adds a bit of strategy to areas of individual stages.

The game is only 8 stages long, but a real challenge in the back half. It took me maybe five plays to actually get through the game legitimately without using continues. My end strategy was to learn what I could to minimise deaths, but essentially just stockpile lives in stages 1-4 to cushion to blow later on.

Art is great, music is world class. A great Gameboy platformer.

22. Dúshlán (NES) - 02/04/20 - ~2 hours (Normal Mode Beaten)

To help me stay sane during this lockdown, I've started making a YouTube series on weird Tetris games. This led me to come across some titles I was not aware of, including the 2016 homebrew release, Dúshlán.

It's good! Over ten stages, the 8-bit Tetris formula is subverted with the addition of oddly shapes pieces, upside down wells, spawning garbage blocks, shifting floors, as well as mixtures of all of these obstacles to progress.

RNG can mean that some runs are scuppered pretty early, but overall, the game is fair. It takes around 15-20 minutes to see out a full play, but the game took a couple of hours to perfect, as well as capture adequate footage for the show.

Check it out, maybe?

23. Rez Infinite (PSVR) - 09/04/20 - ~25 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

The best VR game I've played. I wrote more extensively on it here back at Infinite's launch, but years on its still an exciting, vibrant game, largely unmatched by anything else in the VR sphere.

From my article at the time:

"The jump from widescreen visuals, to a full 360 degree virtual space when played using PSVR makes the play space feel liberatingly free despite still being based around linear, rail led paths. No-one could play using Sony's headset and then argue that the original 'flat' release is better. No contest. No competition. This is the best version of what was already one of the best games. The sense of depth, speed, being and organic belonging in what should feel utterly alien and divorced from reality is unparalleled in gaming, VR or otherwise.

If Rez always had the ability to get under your skin, Infinite is something else entirely. Once you enter the synesthetic world, both mentally, and physically by lowering the headset over your eyes, there can be no more separation. VR and Infinite are a perfect combination, a marriage of ideas separated all these years by technology rather than vision."

24. Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa (Switch) - 17/04/20 - ~15 hours (All Endings)

First visual novel of the year. And a pretty average one to boot.

I was initially drawn in by this one because of the inclusion of a match-3 puzzle mode that is interspersed between the story. It's slightly risqué puzzle premise made me think the game might have been closer to HuniePop (a guilty pleasure) than it was in execution. It's a high school, slice of life type thing, with students of the 'Occult Research Club' investigating mysteries around campus.

The story goes from being very dry and dull, to very weird and silly over the course of a few play throughs. In total I think I beat the game 4 or 5 times to view all the endings, and was tempted to try and round out the last few bits I had yet to unlock (a few CGs and bits of dialogue), but the match-3 game that I was initially drawn to is actually really off-putting later on when the difficulty ramps up, ESPECIALLY if you've forgotten to save manually before hand.

Totally fine. Very little to write home about.

EDIT - 18/0/4/20 - ~20 hours (100%) I woke up this morning with a burning desire to properly finish Kotodama. I don't know why. I thought 'there isn't that much left to do, an hour or so and I'll be wrapped up'. 5 hours and another 4 full play throughs later, it's done, but by god was that frustrating. Visual Novels should have flow charts as standard, or saves should be automatic at the start of each chapter to save players having to redo hours of progress because they may have forgotten to click one button in a sequence. Either way, I've now unlocked all endings, all CG, all voices, all words, and all tips. There is nothing left to do in this game. Back on the shelf it goes.

25. Heavy Fire: Red Shadow (PS4 /PSVR) - 24/04/20 - ~10 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

I don't believe anyone sets out to make a bad game. But there are bad games.

Heavy Fire is not a bad game in the 'this barely works' category, instead its bad by way of how empty and vapid it is.

When it released it attracted practically zero fanfare. It later got a PSVR patch that similarly excited no one. You sit in a turret and shoot enemies that approach in waves. If I had just picked up a VR headset for the first time, I'd say this could be a fun introduction to the presence afforded to you by VR. As a reasonable VR veteran, this offers nothing special at all.

The campaign mode is set across four locales, each in a day and night version. It takes less than two hours all in. Where the majority of my playtime came from, is instead the endless mode: choose a location, last as long as you can. The final trophy needed you to slaughter 30,000 enemies. This meant playing endless mode for another 8 or so hours. It wasn't fun. After about hour five, I got a sort of VR fatigue over its bland, low resolution visuals and switched to the 'flat' version. Wowee. The game looks SIGNIFICANTLY better when not in VR. The VR mode looks like a early-era PS2 game, the flat package looks closer to a launch window PS4 game. After that, I just spent an hour here and there to mop up the remaining trophies.

The cost on PSN for this game is still absurd, but I picked up the retail copy for about a fiver. Do not dive in for anything higher than this, seriously.

26. Push! (EasyRPG) - 28/04/20 - ~5 hours (100%)

I've started exploring old RPGMaker games due to the EasyRPG interpreter making its way to Vita (as homebrew, naturally). There are loads of epic stories told in these 2D games, but I've been more interested in looking at projects from developers who subvert the framework of an RPGMaker game in some way.

Push! is a Picross game. Yup, somehow the developer took the tools available and made a fully fledged Picross game. The only limitation that I can see that makes you realise it isn't actually a ground-up nonogram game is the fact that you can't hold down the mark button and drag across multiple squares of the grid, each box must be dealt with using its own button press.

The later end of the game gets really tough, and some of the side modes didn't seem to function quite as I expected, but otherwise this was a full Picross game, with 60-odd puzzles included. Quite incredible stuff.

27. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 29/04/20 - ~80 hours (Credits)

Of course I'm not done playing Animal Crossing. Of course I'm not. But, when thinking about a game that I'm likely to play on and off over the entire year, racking up hundreds of cumulative hours, there has to be some point where it becomes list eligible, right?

KK Slider, ol' eyebrows himself visits your island after certain goals have been met. For me this came after a about a month and a half's work of playing a few hours each day. When he perfoms, the credits roll over the top of his sultry voice. That's good enough for me.

It's a game that improves on New Leaf in every conceivable way. An almost perfect game. I spoke about it at length on a podcast I do with two of my closest friends here for anyone who is interested. I love it.

28. Gravity Duck (Vita) - 29/04/20 - ~90mins (100%)

Every year I end up playing at least a few games which have been ported to the Vita or Switch by Ratalaika. Every time I find myself going 'it's a decent game, but one that is totally devalued by the way that Rat stuff it with easy trophies, chuck out the Platinum after 30 minutes play, and actively put many off from finishing the entirety of the game.

Gravity Duck is another one of those. I played it much earlier in the year, got the platinum, and then put it down. For some reason I picked it up again today, started right from the beginning without the serotonin inducing trophy messages, and actually beat the whole thing legitimately in one sitting.

It's decent! Simple, but decent. Around 120 or so stages, none of which take longer than 15-20 seconds to beat once you've solved the route. In each one you avoid hazards, enemies, and manipulate gravity by hitting little glowing switches. It's fun, if over a little too quickly. It's honestly a crying shame though that the trophy list didn't even require you to beat more than a quarter of the game. So many people are picking up games like Gravity Duck and immediately discounting the work of the original developer, all because Ratalaika were gunning hard for the trophy chasers rather than legitimate players.

29. League of Evil (Vita) - 02/05/20 - ~4 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

Another Ratalaika port of a short stage platformer. The difference here is that this released a long time before Rat had build their reputation as the 'quick trophy guys', and the game actually needs to be played, and almost beaten (!!), before you're given your Platinum trophy.

A pretty good game, with tight controls, enjoyable movement and mostly decent level design. There are a few odd difficulty spikes here and there, but overall, I had a good time with this one. Another game that I can now jettison from my Vita's storage as well. Hooray!

30. Football Game (Vita) - 02/05/20 - 60mins (All Trophies [PSN])

A point and click game. The ambient soundtrack, and use of almost Beach House style music from UK duo Jupiter-C is great, but the writing and gameplay are pretty so so. Some puzzles are as simple as clicking on the only other item in the scene, some are back and forwards fetch quests with little guidance. The game's twist (can you call it a twist?) delivers no pay off whatsoever. The story I'd written in my head wasn't where the story went, but in actuality it was somehow even less exciting than the cliché I thought it would deliver.

Would love to get hold of one of the limited release cassette soundtracks though!

31. Wurroom (Vita) - 03/05/20 - 20mins (All Trophies [PSN])

A surreal, point and click art experience. It's.. ok? The problem here is that budget limitations mean the mix of claymation FMV, and interactive objects doesn't quite gel, the mandated trophies on the Vita break immersion somewhat, performance is sluggish, with no real feedback when you click on objects meaning even the simple puzzles can occasionally take slightly longer than they should, and worst, it doesn't go anywhere.

I'm an art teacher. Surrealism is, at its core, about merging recognisable objects together into something new. These new configurations may then get the viewer to ask questions or to apply their altered or broken function back to reality. Wurroom doesn't seem to do this at all. It's more a drug-induced haze with no satisfying payoff outside of 'well that was weird'.

Maybe that's the intention the developers were going for. Maybe not. Who knows. It didn't leave me fulfilled though.

32. Debtor (Switch) - 06/05/20 - 45mins (100%)

30 pretty simple Sokoban inspired platform stages. Push the blocks into holes to allow you to collect all coins and then get to the exit without getting stuck. It was on sale for less than a quid, and honestly, anything more than this and it wouldn't have been worth it at all. Got stuck on maybe 2 of the 30 stages, meaning they took up maybe 15 minutes of the whole run time. It's an incredibly short little game though. Inoffensive, but nothing worth writing home, or anywhere else for that matter, about.

33. Streets of Rage 4 (Switch) - 07/05/20 - 5 hours (Story Mode Solo + Co-Op - Normal)

I was one of those commentators who wasn't sold on Ben Fiquet's reimagining of the look of Streets of Rage for this fourth entry, but by lord I should have had faith. This game is an absolute triumph. A fitting sequel to the SoR franchise, a proper evolution of its mechanics, and easily the best side scrolling beat 'em up I've played in fucking years. The last that came close was probably Castle Crashers?

This is an even better modern sequel than Mania was to classic Sonic. It feels immediately like a Streets of Rage game, but iterates on all core mechanics to feel slicker, and more polished. The scoring system is great. The combo system is great. The more fluid fighting system is great. The unlockables are great. It's also a proper challenge - normal mode was no cakewalk at all in single player, and still a nice challenge in co-op.

I immediately started a hard playthrough after the credits rolled and have every intention of trying to unlock the remainder of the retro characters I'm missing. For now though, it's on the list. Mainly as a way of getting at least a few more people to stand up and say 'oh, I'll give it a try!'.

So, so sick.

34. Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet (Vita) - 08/05/20 - 3 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

An intentionally brief visual novel. Playthroughs never last more than around 30 minutes. Its storyline is based around cold hearted characters 'opening up' and embracing the help of others. Ten endings, 6 of which I found legitimately before using a guide to mop up the remainder.

Perfectly fine.

35. Milo's Quest (Vita) - 09/05/20 - 3 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

Ratalaika strikes again with a port of a decent game, sold short by their insistence that a platinum should take no longer than 30 minutes to earn. By the end of my playtime, I had hit 102% on the stats page (a nod to Rare or a glitch?), yet had unlocked the platinum trophy a couple hours earlier on beating the second boss. Is anyone really that obsessed with trophies that they can't be bothered to beat a game 2 or so hours in length?

Milo's Quest is a top down action adventure game. In each 'room' you must either defeat all enemies, collect enough bones to unlock a gate, or solve a sliding block puzzle. It's simple stuff, but the map is large enough to feel gently challenging when you're trying to recall a gate you passed by, and the gameplay is varied enough that I never felt bored in the 3 hours I was playing. There is a gentle metroidvania layer added by the inclusion of items that allow you to push blocks / attack / open certain gates. It's not taxing, but its enjoyable.

36. Hex Tunnel Touch (PS4) - 09/05/20 - 45mins (All Trophies [PSN])

Awful game. I played the VR version to completion a few years back and though the head tracking movement things was stupid. The 'flat' version is somehow even worse. R2 and L2 to go up and down respectively, and a slide of the touch pad to move left and right. Idiocy.

Each level has you navigating a elemental themed tunnel, avoiding one hit kills hazards. It's not hard, just frustrating when your brain can't process which awkward command to input to avoid a badly textured block. It's a true 'my first 3D game' project - outstanding its mediocrity.

37. Awesome Pea (Vita) - 10/05/20 - 3 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

I've clearly got a thing for simple, stage-based, one hit kills platformers at the moment. After League of Evil and Gravity Duck, Awesome Pea is another game I had started on my Vita, and then dropped early doors for being a bit too frustrating. In lockdown I thought 'fuck it!" and played through it properly to 100%.

It's ok! Jumping is occasionally sluggish, a cardinal sin for twitch based platformers, and there are some maddening difficulty spikes. Why, for example, did a mid-game stage take about 40 attempts, when each level in the final world can be beaten in one go?

In other strange news, it uses a green presentation obviously meant to put you in mind of the Gameboy, buuuuuut, also includes a TV curve and CRT filter. Why?

38. Battle Rockets (Vita) - 11/05/20 - 45mins (All Trophies [PSN])

Awful.

A one of one fighting type game that is meant to be played using a single handheld, split Micro Machines style. i.e. the left analogue moves the left player, and the left d-pad is assigned to four attacks, with the right player using the right analogue and face buttons.

This would just about work in 2 player, but in single player there is no reason why you are still forced to use this control scheme and look at the play field from the side. Trophies are for beating each stage, most of which have garbage, obfuscated objectives. Why say 'lower the other players health whilst only using attack x and y' when you could waffle on about the spread of their bullets and trying not to alert them using heavy projectiles? Could be a lost in translation thing, but it just makes the game feel shittier than it is. Probably the worst thing I've beaten this year.

39. AdVenture Capitalist (PS4) - 20/05/20 - 10 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

An idle game I played actively for about 6 months for 10 minutes every day back in 2015/16, and then left dormant when I realised that under regular play it would take about 60 years to hit the final trophy requirements.

Fast forward to 2020, the year of the unnecessary video meeting, and I spent a good 5 solid hours maxing my stats, reseting my game, ticking the PlayStation system clock forwards by a few years, and then repeating. There was something surprisingly fun about the grind of it all, and I have to credit the developers for adding about as much character to the game as they could given that it is, in essence, just a self-incrementing calculator.

40. Tiny Dangerous Dungeons (iOS) - 21/05/20 - 60mins (All Collectibles)

I've been searching for games that use a Gameboy aesthetic since I beat Awesome Pea a week or so back. Searching Steam for generic queries like 'gameboy' turned up a few results including TDD. I opted to play it on the iPad for portability, though I imagine the final achievements that I didn't bother attempting (beat the game in under 15 minutes, and beat the game without taking damage) would be quite a challenge on the touchscreen.

A basic metroidvania that can be beaten pretty speedily. Some issues with platform detection and collision detection with enemies, but hey, it's 49p, what can you do.

#41+

NOW PLAYING
Tetris 99 (Switch)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
LoZ: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Ni No Kuni Remastered (PS4)

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Newest Update!!

COMPLETION COUNTER: 18/52

Latest Completion:

fe0ee9a28fabdb1c977ceca9c473b4ff.png

18. Killer7 (PC) | 27th March - 20hrs | 8/10
Suda's masterpiece, an audiovisual tour-de-force with a wild story all about coming to terms with one's past, and the things that make up a person. Be it from their past, or from their purpose, a person is what makes them. I have a bit of a history with Suda, given that I'm the person leading the fan translation for Moonlight Syndrome, but I'd never completed Killer7 before. Thankfully, the game had tons of surprises up its sleeve and didn't overstay its welcome. Gameplay is primarily a mix of on-rails shooting and puzzle solving, with cutscenes and lore snippets mixed in to break up the monotony. There is a rudimentary, if a little bit underdeveloped leveling system tied to the game's combat as well, but unfortunately the amount of experience you can generate seems to cap out on every level meaning that I don't think one can level up all of the characters to max in a single playthrough -- at least on Deadly. It's possible grinding can be done on the final level, but I'm not sure. Nonetheless, I never felt wanting for power aside from during the Ayame Blackburn fight, which took me four tries to complete and was the most difficult encounter in the game. There are definitely some small questions I have about the story, but I intend to read Hand in Killer7, the supplemental material that released with the game, to see if I can't fill in the dots. In short, I loved this game, and I hope more people play it. Shout out to Travis, one of the in-game spirit guides for having the best tanktops. Play Killer7 -- you won't regret it.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PC) | 1st Jan - 75hrs | 7/10
2. Florence (Android) | 5th Jan - 1hrs | 5/10
3. Observer (PC) | 5th Jan - 10hrs | 4/10

4. LongStory (PC) | 1st Feb - 4hrs | 2/10
5. Layers of Fear 2 (PC) | 3rd Feb - 4.5hrs | 6/10

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC) | 3rd Feb - 8.5hrs 7/10
7. Gris (PC) | 14th Feb - 6.5hrs | 5/10

8. World of Horror (PC) | 22nd Feb - 2hrs | 6/10
9. September 1999 (PC) | 23rd Feb - 6min | 5/10
10. ШХД: ЗИМА / IT'S WINTER (PC) | 23rd Feb - 30min | 5/10
11. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (PC) | 23rd Feb - 4hrs | 6/10

12. A Short Hike (PC) | 24th Feb - 1.5hrs | 8/10
13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC) | 26th Feb - 20hrs | 3/10
14. Amorous (PC) | 1st March - 2hrs | 2/10
15. Higurashi When They Cry - Tatarigoroshi (PC) | 3rd March - 20hrs | 5/10
16. Higurashi When They Cry - Himatsubushi (PC) | 10th March - 10hrs | 5/10
18. Killer7 (PC) | 26th March - 20hrs | 8/10

Full list of reviews in original post.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
youngblood.jpg

25. Wolfenstein: Youngblood (XB1) Mar 27 10 Hrs ★★
Played the campaign solo but still had a great time. Definitely feels like a full new game and not a spin-off.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
28: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. End: 3/28/2020. 5 Hours. Liked.

Despite being a big fan on the NES Ninja Gaiden, I never actually played this game before. I bring that up because Klonoa: Door to Phantomile shares its director with Ninja Gaiden's. Hideo Yoshizawa. I couldn't get Ninja Gaiden out of my head while playing this game, despite how different it actually is. Its mechanics are certainly interesting as they don't really feel like a lot of other platformers.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
COMPLETION COUNTER: 27/52

Latest Completion:
1694a7c2383cbf1b63d41a5a9a04d035.png

27. Final Fantasy VII: Remake | 13th April - 32hrs | 8/10
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a celebration and examination of the legacy of Final Fantasy 7 and the relationship fans and creators have with the legendary source material. It is a flamboyant, joyous game that bleeds heart and soul, yet it has things to say about that soul. Things forged across 23 years of fan response, of requests for a remake, and of the shifting landscape of game design and presentation.

It is a game about reunion. Reunion between characters, certainly, but also a reunion with fans. It is Kitase and Nomura's return to a world that they have reiterated for years to divisive reception. It is a return to characters, many of which we know meet unfortunate and grim ends. In essence, it is a return to the very lifestream that composed Final Fantasy 7's world to begin with. These are throughlines present in the game's narrative, both as a reflection and a re-examination of what came before. In this way, the game is bound to touch a raw nerve. Whether or not you like that, your mileage may vary.

The characters are a high point, with a script that is genuinely the best that Square Enix's in-house team has made since perhaps Vagrant Story. Dialogue is naturalistic and understated, and this serves to further one of the remake's major focuses: spending more time with the characters from the original to flesh them out and make them feel real. Again, this is a reunion, and it is determined to pay respect to these old favorites. The vocal performances in Japanese and English are both excellent, though I think special credit should be given to the English actors. As someone fluent in Japanese, I actually preferred the localization of this game. It is of mind-boggling quality, and the actors' performances are a key part of this.

The reconfiguration of the game's systems stands out as a strong reinterpretation of the mechanics present in the original release. The battle system is strategic and punishing, valuing measured responses and situational awareness above all else. Just as in the original, knowledge is the key to success. Enemies must be strategically staggered, taking cues from FF13's battle system, in order to deal heavy damage and mitigate dangerous attacks. Every character plays differently, a major change from the original where characters were effectively the same across the board with the only major difference between them being limit breaks. It is clear that a lot of love and thought went into the battle system, and it shows a profound understanding of the strengths of the original without the constraints of the original hardware. The presentation is also on point, with a truly incredible soundtrack that is up there with the original, perhaps even surpassing it at points.

FF7R shows a respect and love for the source material -- all of it, including the dubious, divisive canon that is the Compilation of FF7. There are throwbacks and winks towards Advent Children. There are characters from the spinoff novels that make an appearance, and there is a through line of appreciation for games like Crisis Core, and yes, even Dirge of Cerberus. And yet, it comes across as cohesive, without getting in the way of the original's story. These integrations serve as a clear message of intent: This is a game about the history of Final Fantasy 7, and of what it means to "be" Final Fantasy 7, 23 years after the original release. It is a rewrite of canon, a realignment of the story to make it fit into one concrete, new interpretation. While there are many potential pitfalls in this, and the game certainly has some clumsy delivery, it manages to thread the needle by the end and earn its keep. Which gets to, perhaps, the most difficult part to discuss.

There is no real way to talk about this game without spoiling something about it. So for those interested, I reccomend FF7R handily. It is, in almost every way, the game that you loved, or the game that you have heard about for years. But it is also something more.

What does it mean to be a fan? What does it mean to have a canon? Is it fair for these characters, fully fleshed out and beloved, to be doomed to their fates due to the whispers of expectation? What does it mean to be a creator, who'se own legacy is the ball and chain that prevents them from exploring new ideas? What does it mean for us, who have memories of the original?

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not just a remaster, nor is it a simple reimagining. It is a reunification of the disparate parts that make up FF7's momentous, gargantuan being. It is a resplendent celebration of what came before, and a wish for what it could be.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PC) | 1st Jan - 75hrs | 7/10
2. Florence (Android) | 5th Jan - 1hrs | 5/10
3. Observer (PC) | 5th Jan - 10hrs | 4/10

4. LongStory (PC) | 1st Feb - 4hrs | 2/10
5. Layers of Fear 2 (PC) | 3rd Feb - 4.5hrs | 6/10

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC) | 3rd Feb - 8.5hrs 7/10
7. Gris (PC) | 14th Feb - 6.5hrs | 5/10

8. World of Horror (PC) | 22nd Feb - 2hrs | 6/10
9. September 1999 (PC) | 23rd Feb - 6min | 5/10
10. ШХД: ЗИМА / IT'S WINTER (PC) | 23rd Feb - 30min | 5/10
11. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (PC) | 23rd Feb - 4hrs | 6/10

12. A Short Hike (PC) | 24th Feb - 1.5hrs | 8/10
13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC) | 26th Feb - 20hrs | 3/10
14. Amorous (PC) | 1st March - 2hrs | 2/10
15. Higurashi When They Cry - Tatarigoroshi (PC) | 3rd March - 20hrs | 5/10
16. Higurashi When They Cry - Himatsubushi (PC) | 10th March - 10hrs | 5/10
18. Killer7 (PC) | 26th March - 20hrs | 8/10
19. Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Switch) | 28th March - 1.5hrs | 5/10
20. Sin and Punishment: Earth Successor (N64) | 28th March - 2hrs | 7/10
21. Black Mesa (PC) | 1st April - 26hrs | 9/10
22. Half-Life: Opposing Force (PC) | 1st April - 6hrs | 4/10
23. Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC) | 1st April - 3hrs | 7/10
24. Resident Evil 3 (PC) | 2nd April - 11hrs | 8/10
25. Half-Life: Decay (PC) | 4th April - 2.5hrs | 5/10
26. Half-Life: Alyx (PC) | 8th April - 12hrs | 9/10
27. Final Fantasy VII: Remake | 13th April - 32hrs | 8/10

19. Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Switch) | 28th March - 1.5hrs | 5/10
If you know anything about me, let it be known that I fucking love Panzer Dragoon. When this remake was announced, I was working behind the scenes on making sure all of the announcements at E3 went off without a hitch -- and yet here we were, when the Nintendo Direct happened, this game got announced by surprise and I shrieked in front of my very confused coworkers, most of whom had never heard of Panzer Dragoon. I bought the game immediately when it dropped, and preordered the LRG Saturn Case version that was put up this morning. I plan on double-dipping for the PC version as well, which I certainly hope irons out some of the performance and control issues with the switch version. The game runs decently, but not at a consistent 30fps. While the Saturn version capped at 20, I still was hoping for some better performance on this version. The controls take some getting used to -- The default reticle speed is a little too fast, and the blaster bolts are noticeably smaller than in the saturn original, making aiming a bit difficult. The modern control scheme is interesting, as it's essentially an adaptation of the Saturn's dual-analog flight stick mode, but the controls themselves feel a little clunky and the movement doesn't help too much. Classic mode is as expected, minus the constrained smaller blaster shots. Overall, this was a perfectly satisfactory remake of the worst Panzer Dragoon game. I also didn't mind the art changes, though I don't think the switch does them any justice. I am curious to see how the visuals look on PC when this launches in December, and I will likely review that version as well when it hits. All in all, I am hopeful for the Zwei remake, and am praying that we are lucky enough to be graced with a Saga remake -- a game that I think is significantly harder to mess up than the two rail shooter ones could be.
20. Sin and Punishment: Earth Successor (N64) | 28th March - 2hrs | 7/10
This game was rad as hell. 90s anime in the best way, with an entirely English dubbed story directed in Japan, this game is totally bonkers and off the wall. It's dick hard too, making me flex quite a few of my rusty rail shooter muscles. This game makes Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox look like baby games. Definitely a standout in the N64 library and one of Treasure's best, even in their incredibly stacked catalogue of amazing bullet hell games. While the story is insane, it's god great style, and does work to set up a very weird universe that I can't wait to see more of when I finally complete Star Successor after all of these years. Highly recommended, and if playing on an emulator, I highly encourage players to remap the controls as to make it a dual stick shooter for ease of use. This game aged like fine wine, though be warned, the original title of this game was Glass Soldier -- it will make you feel fragile and weak!
21. Black Mesa (PC) | 1st April - 26hrs | 9/10
Black Mesa is a stunning game. It is especially stunning in comparison to most shooter released in the past decade or so, with its focus on extreme mobility and player control. The circumstances of its existence also shouldn't be ignored - it is a labor of love, an ascended fan-remake that got the blessing of the original team, with very good reason. Black Mesa is the definitive way to play the first Half Life for both newcomers and long-time fans alike. The economy of storytelling and strong environmental design is preserved from the original, this time with a new paint job that serves to enhance the original's art direction rather than overwrite it. Black Mesa is nothing if not faithful to and reverent of the original 1998 release, which speaks to the strength of Valve's original design work. Then, there is Xen. Upon its original 1998 inclusion in the original Half-Life, Xen was a rushed and unpolished final act in an otherwise excellent game. Often spoken about with disdain, Crowbar Collective sought to rework Xen into something more in line with the rest of the game and bring back many of the ideas left on the cutting room floor by Valve originally. Black Mesa's Xen is a crowning achievement, and easily one of the game's highest points. Gordon Freeman's No Good Very Bad Day starts with him arriving late to work, and ends with him accepting a new role outside the company. In many ways Half Life is about the worker's grind, the horrors of a day job, and the bureaucratic Powers That Be that dictate the life of a company and its workers. The enemies, nightmarish creatures from beyond the pale are nearly Lovecraftian when juxtaposed with the Black Mesa Research Facility, the military shooting unarmed scientists a forceful takeover and attempt by management to contain an unruly and unmanaged workforce. It isn't until you find out more about what is going on that the table is flipped; as Gordon, in the words of one scientist late in the game, "learns more than any one man should" about how all of this fits together the player soon takes the role of the invader, trudging through Xen as the gun-wielding and armor clad warrior wreaking havoc on the unsuspecting and largely untamed wildlife of the borderworld. Combat changes from hectic, corridor based run and gun to deliberate puzzle-based encounters that highlight Gordon the scientist and problem solver rather than a simply lucky man with a helpful suit and a couple of high powered guns. In this way the game shares a lot of DNA with Metroid Prime, and often, its beauty. There are a few small complaints however as the game comes to a close. Some of the final fights are particularly overtuned, and I found myself having to save scum at times to try my luck due to lacking resources. For a good 2 hour stretch during Interloper I found myself with no ammo aside from some trip mines, requiring me to do some really goofy finangling in order to escape combat situations and trigger the necessary puzzle solutions to move forward. Nihilanth as well was a hectic and difficult fight, but one I enjoyed quite a bit. It was easy to see where ideas evolved from Half Life 1 to Portal as Valve's design ideology changed, and again how Crowbar Collective applied their own tweaks to the formula. Overall Black Mesa is a fantastic game, one highly worth playing, and one I won't forget for some time. Absolutely give it a chance if you can.
22. Half-Life: Opposing Force (PC) | 1st April - 6hrs | 4/10
It isn't hard to see what Gearbox was going for with this first expansion to Valve's classic Half-Life. With that being said, the moments of genius are hidden within the framework of an incredibly disappointing and bland corridor shooter. Taking place during Freeman's infamously bad workday, the player is tasked with taking the role of Corporal Adrian Shephard, a HECU Marine sent to Black Mesa during the resonance cascade under orders to contain the facility and eliminate witnesses. It doesn't take long for the G-Man to take an interest in Adrian's adaptability as the marine encounters interdimensional creatures flooding into the facility through the Portal Storm initiated by Freeman's journey. The game is significantly shorter than Half-Life, though it does feature a wide variety of levels that build off the concepts introduced in Half-Life, and even takes some of the puzzles further with more physics objects and rope-climbing segments. Unfortunately, the combat encounters are not particularly well designed and the enemies can be a bit spongy, leading to a much more annoying trial and error experience. The new alien designs are a little bit less inspired than the original, with art direction that clearly indicates which assets aren't from the base game. Additionally, companions have been expanded upon but feature some irritating pathfinding and combat tactics AI. Overall, this is a safe skip, and as interesting as Adrian's story is on paper, it doesn't appear that we will be sharing much more time with him anytime soon.
23. Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC) | 1st April - 3hrs | 7/10
Gearbox's second expansion to Valve's Half-Life, Blue Shift, puts the player in the role of Barney Calhoun, a Black Mesa security guard coincidentally also running late for work on the same day as Gordon Freeman. Blue Shift is an excellent, albeit short return to Half-Life's excellent environmental and scripted storytelling and features some genuinely excellent environmental puzzles that build off of Valve's tightly designed base. Originally conceived as a Dreamcast exclusive add-on that would release alongside a port that never fully came to fruition, Blue Shift takes all of Half-Life's strengths and condenses them into a bite-sized whole. Contrasted from Opposing Force, there are a high amount of interactive environmental objects this time around that give the player a peek into the runnings of Black Mesa. My personal favorite Easter eggs were the security camera feeds featuring other lore-important characters in the Half-Life universe that Barney can watch when he begins his shift, something that grounds the experience in its "a day in the life" trappings even as the resonance cascade pours the unfathomable terrors of the Xen borderworld across dimensions and into the Black Mesa facility. Gearbox is at top form here, having learned many gameplay lessons from Opposing Force. Ammo and health are no longer as scarce, and combat encounters are focused around tighter groups of enemies placed in complex environments, often requiring the player to pay close attention to what each encounter is asking of them in order to proceed. The issue with the jarring art assets from Opposing Force is, for the most part, smoothed over. Blue Shift is dripping with atmosphere and has a strong sense of place -- perhaps even more potent than the base game. While I felt that Opposing Force paled in comparison to the original Half-Life, Blue Shift stands among it as a well deserved peer. Give it a try, it's short but is packed with that signature Half-Life character and charm.
24. Resident Evil 3 (PC) | 2nd April - 11hrs | 8/10
A tightly wound, briskly paced romp through Raccoon City on its last day. Concurrent with RE2make., This game feels like a true companion piece, with similar (if a bit tweaked) gameplay to suit the two new playable characters, Jill and Carlos. RE3Make is much more action oriented than RE2, though its story is well written and its performances are some of the best in the biz. It is really weird to say about a Resident Evil game, but the script is excellently well written and the game has a genuinely terrific arc for its main heroine. Unlike RE2Make, however, there is a general lack of polish. The game is somewhat buggy, with its primary predator, Nemesis, often despawning and respawning in a way that reminded me of the vanilla, unmodded Alien AI from Alien Isolation. Many people will complain that this game was also too segmented and short, but this didn't bother me as the game is mainly designed around replays. After completing a run an in-game item rewards shop unlocks along with more difficulty modes than RE2make and an assortment of weapons and costumes to keep players coming back for more. Overall it's a tight little package and one I deeply enjoyed playing . I will likely go back to clean up some of the other modes, and will definitely be trying out Resident Evil: Resistance, the multiplayer component. Just don't expect quite the same amount of polish as RE2make.
25. Half-Life: Decay (PC) | 4th April - 2.5hrs | 5/10
A neat, level-based multiplayer campaign set concurrently with Half-Life and developed by Gearbox, Half-Life: Decay features the wearers of the two missing HEV suits from the start of the main game, Gina Cross and Colette Green. While unpolished in many ways and featuring some strange optimizations in its original release on PS2, Decay feels a bit like a tacked-on last Hurrah for Gearbox. That being said, there is some interesting story beats tucked away in the campaign surrounding the wheelchair-driving Dr. Keller as he tasks the two women with closing the portals opened by the Resonance Cascade prior to the glassing of the Black Mesa facility. Despite some flaws, there are some really interesting moments that show Gearbox was willing to play with the Half-Life formula and make players scratch their heads and flex their problem solving muscles in order to progress. In many ways this game is the seed from which Portal 2's Cooperative Testing Initiative grew, and it's clear many lessons were taken from this expansion and refined by Valve a decade later when it released.
What isn't there to say about Half Life: Alyx that hasn't already been said? It's a revelation, VR's Killer App, a true sequel to Half-Life 2 and the best game Valve has put out since Portal 2. It's a swan-song for an era where people thought Valve was done with a series that was legendary, it's a triumphant return to form. It's the dawning of a new age of games, and it could come at no better time.
26. Half-Life: Alyx (PC) | 8th April - 12hrs | 9/10
Half-Life: Alyx is astonishing in equal parts mechanical and narrative. Valve effectively wrote themselves out of a nearly 13 year dead end, one that was one of the most brutal and emotionally devasting cliffhangers of all time. And yet here we are, equally devastated, equally confused, and most certainly equally excited to see where the story goes. HL:A is effectively a game about its world. Alyx is, in many ways outside of the physical, a player surrogate. She has known no world other than the Combine's oppressive regime and it is through her conversations with Russell (played excellently by Rhys Darby) that the player is informed of the history and culture that came to be during Gordon Freeman's slumber. We learn of a life without Vodka, or at least without factory distillation, the development of the Resistance in both the rest of the world and in the Bulgarian City 17. It's a world of scrappy hope, one that is perhaps suited well to our current times. It's a tangible world, one filled with newspapers and ammo and bottles, with people attempting desperately to go about their daily lives without causing a stir. At one point I picked up a newspaper and began reading an article. "Who is Wallace Breen?" it asked in Bulgarian, and for a moment I wondered the question. Who would sell out the world, and who was Alyx to stand against him? And then it dawned on me that I was there, for even just a moment. I was holding this newspaper in my hands. Valve has spent considerable time tweaking and experimenting with player experience in VR and the testing has paid off. They nailed it, and I'm excited to see where they go from here. The game is constantly experimenting with level design in typical Valve fashion. It's never the same thing twice, and with the added layer of VR things that would otherwise be simple become exhausting, difficult, and laborious tasks. This is not a complaint. The game stops to smell the roses and gives the player the utmost agency with which to take their time and solve problems in their own unique ways. At one point, faced with a room of mines that would instantly kill me if I set them off, I cleverly climbed up a ladder and, hanging down, threw a box into the room to trigger the mines while I was safely above the blast. It's in this space that Half-Life: Alyx plays, and it's in this physicality that Valve crafts its most ingenious moments. Gunfights become organic and kinetic in ways that take what would otherwise be a standard encounter outside of VR -- three guys with machine guns and a guy with a shotgun -- into adrenaline pumping puzzleboxes that test a player's skillset. It is, in a word, delightful. Maybe even devilish, as the game is quite hard at points on its higher difficulty setting. The finale is mind-bending, calling to mind Remedy's Ashtray Maze from last year's excellent Control. Without getting into spoilers, the ending is both reassuring and satisfying. I don't think this is the last we'll see of Half-Life in the near future. Famous last words, I know.

Reviews for games 1-18 can be seen in the Original Master Post

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
59. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
323.jpg_large

Yeah I know it's from XCOM 2 but the % chance thing can be one of the most hilariously dumb things in the game.

I really enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected, esp. once I've gotten upgrades. I won't start Enemy Within as apparently it doesn't let you use save data from EU, and just do it in a future playthrough.

A really nice strategy game and one I would recommend for anyone who wants to take a stab at turn based strategy style games that aren't too lenient.

60. Miles & Kilo
1AAgFnGxWuYjwFs6QAuyud9-Jr25PDLv.jpg

A 2D pixel art platformer, with an option for 'auto run' to let you play it as if it were an auto runner, as well as a ranking system though it's not necessary to finish the game.
Game starts out fine, but gets progressively harder. There are 5 worlds, each with 6 platforming levels and 1 boss level.
In some levels, the game has Miles hanging onto Kilo's leash as he makes a mad dash across the level, for a little change of pace.

It's a nice platformer but what annoyed me was its lack of checkpoints as even if levels are short (less than a minute to complete), having to repeat sections half a dozen times in order to complete a level is annoying.
Thankfully the game does offer an 'invincibility fruit' that makes you immune to certain hazards and enemies in order to complete levels, but using it won't give you a rank upon completing the level.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

19. - FFVIII Remastered - Haven't played this since the PS2 era so going back to it was great. Though it has some flaws I still absolutley love the art style, music, Triple Triad, crazy Guardian Forces (I'm looking at you Brothers). The Remaster is a weird one. I love the updated character models but the backgrounds are still blurry as hell but I gather there is only so much they could do with that side of things. Loved it either way and it was an easy platinum. 5/5

20 - 23. Deus Ex Mankind Divided + all DLC -
Never played the original Deus Ex games so only got into them with Human Revolution and I loved it. Mankind Divided I had a blast with but only played it once, 3 years later and I have 100% trophies finally. So thoughts:

- You need to read the prequel novel Black Light first. Seriously this should have been in the game because the game assumes very much you've read it to explain who Alex is, why Jenson is in TF29, the illuminati aspects. Everything.

- Breach mode is terrible and is just a pointless loot box microtransaction fest and the DLC related to it is garbage. The stories though are actually pretty good buried in it and it links into the System rift DLC...

- ...System Rift, Criminal Past and a lone pre-order DLC feel ripped from the main game. Mankind Divided just feels so piece meal.

That all said I still love the cyberpunk near future world, exploring every nook and cranny, reading the lore and seeing the story unfold. I really want a third game to finish Jenson's arc but I don't think we'll get it now as SE bungled MD's launch :( 4/5

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
61. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2
A9EC29B6001A5A592015812A368EEA5BBA4C1782

Levels felt MUCH easier than its predecessor but boss fights have tricky patterns as you need to have the boss drop objects for the duo to toss back at them.
A nice little game overall though. Looking up online, the game seems to have released in Japan first in late 1993, and January 1994 in US.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's my birthday! Two games beaten today alone, and hopefully with more to come. I'm still ahead of the curve with 20 games completed so far this year. Hell yes!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ

26. Asura's Wrath (XB1BC) Mar 28 7 Hrs ★★
Really outstanding game. Sure it was more like an interactive anime but the story kept me wanting to know what happens next. I heard there wasn't really an ending without the dlc but I thought the ending was fine. Wrapped up the main story with a few threads not tied up. I do have the dlc and will try to get to it tomorrow.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
#13 Doom 2016 | 3/29/2020 - 12 hrs | 4.5/5
Finally got around to playing Doom 2016. Wow what a game. It was so damn fun blasting through hell demons and loved the hilarious glory kills. Looking forward to playing Doom Eternal soon.

Main Post

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Main post

14. Ori and the Blind Forest

What a fantastic game this is and absolutely stunning to look at. The controls are responsive and the skills you unlock is fun to use. I like when I was about to do the last area, I re-visited the earlier areas to get the different Orbs and when you've gotten to grips with the controls and the skills it's very satisfying to jump, dash and boost your way around the map and get into areas that were unreachable earlier.

Solid 4/5 and it took me 7½ hours to complete. All areas was in the 90% range.

EUSfxS2WkAEQZth