• We will be performing brief site maintenance in 5 minutes, 26 seconds at Jan 29, 2020 at 5:45 AM. The site may be down for about ~20 minutes while we update our software.
  • The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2019 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!

52 TV seasons. 1 Year. 2020 edition

RatskyWatsky

Pesky Therizinosaurus
Oct 25, 2017

In the spirit of the '52 Games. 1 Year' & '50 Books. 50 movies. One year' threads, TV ERA decided that we needed a thread of our own! Except unlike those threads, I won't be tracking anyone's progress or updating because it looks hard and I also don't know how! So this will just be for fun! :)

Rules (which I just copy/pasted from the book/movie thread)

1 - Watch 52 seasons of television before Jan 1st 2021
2 - 1 season = 1 entry
3 - You can join the challenge at any time
4 - Be honest! Nobody is going to be making sure you actually watched that show

Q&A:

What counts as a season? Anything that's more than 1 episode!
Does anime count? Yep!
What about documentaries? Mhm.

If you need stars for reviews:

★★
★★★
★★★★
★★★★★

Credits

GK86, Everything Shiny, and everyone else who came up with these kinds of threads in the past. And Rhaknar for forcing me to make this thread~

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
"New to you" kills this one for me as I tend to rewatch a lot of stuff (I rewatched B99 season 1 through 5 last year before watching 6). Weird rule to have too, the videogame thread doesn't have it for example, seems counter productive to the spirit of the game.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Aight I'm in! Dracula will likely be this years first show since it's only three episodes long. Think I'm going to wait until it drops on Netflix on the 4th instead of live watching it on the BBC.

In the meantime I will check out the first eps of Messiah and Spinning Out.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
1. 1/2 The Twilight Zone 2019 (S1) - ★½
This might be the worst anthology released last year. All the plot beats fell flat and their attempt at invoking social commentary is really amateurish and forced as hell. What a waste.​
2. 1/10 Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - ★★★★
Despite being a prequel, this is a pretty meaty season having to see more of the established characters. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the whole ludus setting is feel abit tired considering how Blood & Sand ended.​
3. 1/18 Spartacus: Vengeance - ★★★½
Finally, a proper continuation to Blood & Sand. Been holding out on watching this due to the cast change which is abit of a turnoff for me. Thankfully I watched S1 a while so I get used to him pretty quick. There's also cast change for Naevia, but thankfully her characterization is alot different this season making her feels more like a new character. As for the season itself, alot happen but too many episodes spent on build ups and cause a pacing issue. Great season finale however ties alot of stuff from S1.​

Currently watching:
Spartacus S3
Billions S1

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019
The Real Paddington : 09/52

Completed:
1. 1/2 - The Young Pope - ★★★1/2
2. 1/3 - Sex Education (S1) - ★★★★
3. 1/5 - The Righteous Gemstones (S1) - ★★★★
4. 1/10 - Vice Principals (S1) - ★★★1/2
5. 1/12 - Olive Kitteridge - ★★★★
6. 1/18 - Sex Education (S2) - ★★★1/2
7. 1/25 - What We Do In The Shadows (S1) - ★★★★
8. 1/27 - Euphoria (S1) - ★★★1/2
9. 1/28 - Derry Girls (S1) - ★★★1/2

Currently Watching:
BoJack Horseman Season 6
The New Pope
The Outsider
Flight of the Conchords Season 1

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

I think I've done it before, but now I'm certain I can do it.

Currently at S3 of Superstore.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm up for this should be a fun way to keep track. I'm currently watching Messiah on Netflix which will be my first one.

Firthy

Nov 19, 2017
UK
Hey I’ll definitely give this a go - plenty of TV I need to catch up on this year!

2020 CHALLENGE STATUS: 2/52

1. You [S2] - 4/5
2. Sex Education [S2] - 4/5

Currently Watching:
The Witcher [S1]

Last edited:

Markofhavoc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is one of the only ones I can do, I never seem to beat as many games or books within a year.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
finished up The Dark Crystal after midnight so im counting it for this year lol

Sadsic - 5/52 TV Seasons

1. 1/1 - The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance S1 - ★★★★
2. 1/4 - For All Mankind S1 - ★★★★
3. 1/13 - Infinity Train S2 - ★★★★
4. 1/14 - The Morning Show S1 - ★★★★
5. 1/18 - The Witcher S1 - ★★

Currently watching:

Steven Universe Future (which is on indefinite Hiatus)
The Good Place S4
Joe Pera Talks with You S2
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel S3
The Owl House S1

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I'll be able to complete this as I'm a television snob due to the time commitment and usually only invest my time into stuff that's critically acclaimed or piques my interest. The film version of this challenge is much easier to knock off lol.

Will give it a shot though. Gonna add a little write-up on each.

(1) You S2 [[Netflix]] - ★★★½☆
(2) Lost In Space S2 [[Netflix]] - ★★☆☆☆
(3) The Morning Show S1 [[Apple TV+]] - ★★★★½
(4) Truth Be Told [[Apple TV+]] -
★★★★☆
(5) Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez [[Netflix]] - ★★★☆☆

(1) You S2 [[Netflix]] - ★★★½

Now an original Netflix production, S2 builds on everything that made S1 great. The second season takes time to flesh out its source material with changes and additions, some subtle and others more apparent, for the better. Where You really elevates itself is in its carefully crafted characterization and exposition wrapped up in an atmosphere equal parts harrowing, creepy and familiar. It's uncanny how this show can humanize an irredeemable character like Joe and make him sympathetic to the viewers. While I find his ability to escape situations after he backs himself into a corner a little too ridiculous sometimes and need to suspend my disbelief, I do appreciate the psychological layers they peeled back in exploring his traumatic childhood and the effect it had on his warped worldview. Can't wait to see what's in store going forward. I'm hopeful that the show surprises again and doesn't head in the direction they hinted at in the 2nd season finale; there's a lot of story they can tell but there is a danger in playing it too safe and making Joe's new fascinations seem too familiar at some point.

The first season of this series bored me and I skipped numerous episodes; the second, addictive to say the least. Lost In Space is, from a production standpoint, the best looking show on TV at the moment. No expense is spared in its budget. If you turn your brain off and enjoy it for what it is, it provides a thrilling ride. Writing (constant deus ex machinas, trope riddled characters) and pacing (stuck in 6th gear) could use work but what the show lacks here, it makes up for with its action dependent narrative. I bounce back and forth on the Robinson family; they feel like ridiculous caricatures checking off the boxes too often for my liking and I am not invested in their stories as much as it feels like the show wants me to be. June Harris/Dr. Smith on the other hand, she is a ridiculously written evil villain but is, in my opinion, the most interesting character here and steals every scene she's in.

(3) The Morning Show S1 [[Apple TV+]] - ★★★★½

Where to begin. This show pulls back the curtains and reveals the dynamics at play that come into motion when powerful corporations, entities and people engage in insular practices with one purpose in mind. Protecting their own self interests above all else. TMS tackles these issues with sexual misconduct being the driver of the narrative and handles it in its rawest and most unadulterated form while brilliantly crafting an effective and powerful balance between its characters personal motivations, interpersonal dynamics and moral ambiguities that influence numerous interweaving plot threads. The entire season is captivating but the final 3 episodes are spellbinding and make the viewer bounce between every emotion on the spectrum. Hannah in the hotel room in Vegas with Mitch; Hannah confronting Fred and being silenced; Mitch victim blaming Hannah; Claire walking in on Hannah OD'd; all the final scenes of the season between Alex and Bradley... could go on and on, TMS absolutely murders the message it's trying to get across in these episodes and does it beautifully. From the writing to the production to the chemistry of the cast everything works splendidly here. Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston have great gravitas and work off one another wonderfully. Their characters, Alex and Bradley, likewise counterbalance each other perfectly and bring such an interesting contrast to one another while sometimes straddling but never quite veering into caricatures. Steve Carell is excellent as Mitch. Billy Crudup as Cory... has to be one of the most interesting and well written characters on television. Claire and Yanko's complicated relationship, Chip... Mia... so many multifaceted characters. I can't fucking wait for season 2. Apple TV+ may lack in content in comparison to competitors but The Morning Show is one of the best shows on television at the moment. Easily. It's natural to compare it to HBO's The Newsroom or The West Wing but The Morning Show is unique in its own regard and is perfectly positioned to tackle a lot of interesting topics going forward.

(4) Truth Be Told [[Apple TV+]] - ★★★★☆

The powerful influences of media, race, mental health, privacy and the intricate ways they shape our own perceptions and biases as well as society's are the central questions Truth Be Told weaves its plot around. Poppy Parnell (Octavia Spencer) is an influential investigative journalist pod-caster who re-visits a case after the possibility emerges her reporting wrongly incriminated Warren Cave (Aaron Paul) for the murder of his neighbor nearly 20 years prior. Both Octavia Spencer and Aaron Paul absolutely shine and carry the show but Truth Be Told finds its real power in its examination of the familial machinations that have shaped each one of the three families and how they've inextricably had an effect on all of their lives. Poppy is a deeply flawed well written protagonist whose environment and past influences her motivations; Warren is a victim of consequence and collateral damage; Josie and Lanie are stuck in a vicious cycle of co-dependency centered around a traumatic childhood and mental illness. I really enjoyed the dive into the world crafted here. Another show where the critical consensus is dead wrong and the viewers get it right compared to the critics.

(5) Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez [[Netflix]] - ★★★☆☆

This limited miniseries delves into the life and circumstances of Aaron Hernandez and explores a number of aspects that led to his eventual murdering of Odin Lloyd. Throughout the course of 3 episodes, the topics of parenting, culture around the sport of football, sexual identity, repression of that sexual identity, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and other possible factors are considered as contributing or motivating factors. The common thread that links all of them together is toxic masculinity and how it makes people conform to harmful preconceived notions of what they should and shouldn't be. I appreciated the amount of effort that went into the angle of Aaron's purported bisexuality; Dennis SanSoucie and his father as well as Ryan O'Callaghan provide insight into their experiences and give us very personal glimpses into how unwelcoming the heterosexual world of sports is. What's frustrating, but expected, is the series leaving its viewers with more questions than answers to a complicated and mysterious personality who, unfortunately, is no longer able to answer any of those questions for us himself.

(6) Servant S1 [[Apple TV+]] - ★★★½☆

M. Night Shyamalan knows how to take a simple premise and put it through the what-the-fuck-is-even-happening prism better than almost anyone else. When it works, it borders on brilliance. When it doesn't, it often ends up an unmitigated disaster. Servant is a return to form and a very promising debut on Apple TV+ for him. He only directs 2 episodes in the 1st season but from a cinematic and atmospheric perspective, Shyamalan's flair is all over the show. The uncomfortably long lingering takes, the bizarre camera angles, the strangeness of its characters' actions and the claustrophobic setting of the Turner family's house sets an increasingly unsettling tone that hangs over everything as the shroud of mystery is meticulously peeled back. The pacing here is brilliant, especially for a 30 minute show. The dichotomy explored between Dorothy (Lauren Ambrose) and Sean (Toby Kebbell) and the different manners in how they manage their pain and grief is also a high mark the show nails more often than not. The final episode throws a lot more questions at the viewer and sets up the premise of what promises to be an even more bizarre 2nd season.

Last edited:

fatyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There's no way I'm gonna come close to 52 (or probably even 10 for that matter) but let me grab a post for the sake of cataloging.

~~Placeholder~~

2B or not 2B

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
2B or not 2B - 1/52 TV Seasons

= Bad, ★★ = Meh, ★★★ = Good, ★★★★ = Great, ★★★★★ = Excellent

Jan:
1. Sugar Rush - Season 1 (2019) -

2/1/20 || Number of Episode: 6 ||★★★
Sugar Rush is an okay, some of the cakes are fantastic. However the regular judges on it get on my nerves (Hunter (the presenter) is quite good though). It's fun to watch, but often the judges don't seem to know what they're taking about, and it acts as more of a favouritism contest than anything else.

Last edited:

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I will put my list in quotes , seems sensible.
Completed Seasons: 6/52:
William said:
1. Messiah - ★★ I liked it and was good for a hungover new years day binge watch. I lost interest towards the end for a couple of episodes, but the final episode was pretty good.
2. Gomorrah (Season 1) - ★★★★★ Brilliant stuff, gripping from start to finish, what a great collection of utterly despicable characters who manage to keep you hooked. Ciro in particular, that guy is chilling. The actor who plays Gennaro does a fantastic job too.
I am going to watch season 2 straight away.
3. Gomorrah (Season 2) - ★★★★★ Continues to be really really good.
4. Gomorrah (season 3) - ★★★★ I think the opening episode is my favourite of the whole series but the rest of the season was not as great as previous 2.
5. Suburra (S1)- ★★★★ really liked this 1st season but fell off the 2nd almost immediately after starting it which was a shame.
6. Derry Girls (s1) ★★★★★ one of the best Sitcoms to come out in recent years I think.
Currently Watching:
Medical police (not as as good as Children's Hospital, but has its moments)
Outsider - This is brilliant so far (2 episodes have aired in UK )
James May our man in Japan
Derry Girls (s2)

Abandoned:
Suburra S2 They killed everyone I liked and I made the mistake of spoiling myself on something from the film, which this is a prequel to, which kind of ruined it for me. I might go back and finish it as I think there is another season planned.
Gomorrah S4 - watched the first 4 episodes and not feeling it, but i think i might go back later on.

Last edited:

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Aight I'm in! Dracula will likely be this years first show since it's only three episodes long. Think I'm going to wait until it drops on Netflix on the 4th instead of live watching it on the BBC.

In the meantime I will check out the first eps of Messiah and Spinning Out.
Both episodes piqued enough of an interest to move on to the three-ep test to determine if I want to watch the whole thing. It's AA Netflix stuff, but that's OK not everything needs to be Stranger Things or The Crown level to be entertaining.

Also started American Horror Story: 1984. It's a short season so I should be done with it even before Dracula hits. Just hope the twists will be good, because it is really aggressively stupid so far. Even for an 80's slasher spoof.

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I'm in and it seems more doable for me than 52 games (I want to read 75 books though, still waiting for a similar thread for them).

1. Greatest Events of WWII in Colour (S1) ★★★★
  2. Movies That Made US (S1) ★★★
  3. Dracula (S1) ★ ½
  4. Narcos (S2) ★★★
  5. Narcos (S3) ★★★ ½
  6. After Life (S1) ★★★★
  7. Hitler's Circle of Evil (S1) ★★★
  8. Sex Education (S2) ★★★★½
2020 CHALLENGE STATUS: 8/52

Watching right now:
  • Wataha; The Border or The Pack in English (HBO, Polish TV series about the members of the border patrol unit stationed in Bieszczady on the Polish site of the border with Ukraine)
1. Greatest Events of WWII in Colour (S1) ★★★★

(Netflix, 10 episodes) The documentary series premiered at the end of last year (with some controversies as in the first minutes of the first episode they showed the incorrect map) and it is a good entry-level documentary series about WWII. Some mistakes and brushing of important parts of the war (Russians are basically only on one episode, there is almost nothing about Poland, not enough about Balkans, Italy, Afrika Korps and Australia) are evident but I wasn't disappointed in the final effect.

I wanted to see a complex outlook on WWII and I got it (I will later expand it with reading books about the topics I'm the most interest in). Netflix advertises it as an amazingly restored footage and indeed, it's done just fine. Sometimes for the sake of the narration and having some material to show - they used footage of similar events from the War, but it is understandable. The best part of this well-structured documentary series are interviews with military and history experts and people who took part in the world. Not five stars because it omitted some important parts of the history and sometimes it just wanted to push on us some perspective and ideas instead of letting the viewers judge it by themselves. I found episodes about Blitzkrieg (ep1), Pearl Harbor (ep3), Battle of Midway (ep4) and Hiroshima (ep10) most comprehensive.
2. The Movies that Made Us (S1) ★★★

(Netflix, 4 episodes) I had high expectations about this one after my friend recommended it to me. And I was kind of disappointed. Mostly because its such an uneven series - episodes about Home Alone and Dirty Dancing are great, but the one about Die Hard is just so boring and they try to make it more attractive blowing up some usual problems with film production (noises for the neighbors etc.). Still - if you are interested in the cinematography or love one of the shows that are presented in this series - give it a try.
3. Dracula (S1) ★ ½

(Netflix & BBC, 3 episodes) I didn't have big expectations for that title, still - I was so disappointed. Boring and forgettable story. There are better shows to watch.
4. & 5. Narcos (S2) ★★★ and (S3) ★★★ vv

(Netflix, 2 seasons 10 episodes each). It took me a while;e to come back to this series after watching the first season. It's one of those shows that are good, but not so great that you would tell about them to your friends and encourage them to watch. I've liked the third season about the Cali Carter more than the first two about Pablo Escobar. If you are interested in the topic or are a fan of Pedro Pascal - watch it.
6. After Life (S1) ★★★★

(Netflix, 1 season with 6 episodes) Ricky Gervais for most of the time is seen as a funny, comedy guy - and here he provides an intriguing story of a man, who lost his beloved wife and can't cope with it. Short season mixes times of sadness with a more heartwarming one, when the people around the main characters are trying to support him.
7. Hitler's Circle of Evil (S1) ★★★

(Netflix, 1 season with 10 episodes) Another TV show about history - this one is definitely for people who already have some knowledge about the events of WWII, because as the title states - it's not about that at all. So you won't know how the war was proceeding, why Hitler failed on the Eastern Front etc. Instead of that viewers get a thorough look at the people inside Hitler's closes circle and how they influenced him. It's even more about them than Hitler himself. This could have a more general outlook on Nazi Germany but it's still a good add-on to the basic knowledge about history.
8. Sex Education (S2) ★★★★½

(Netflix, second season with 8 episodes) The first season was a big hit for Netflix and it refreshed the young adult genre. After watching it, I liked the second season even more. Otis is a son of the well-known sex-therapist and he is a teenager who sees his chance to get some more money and use his knowledge to give sexual advice for his classmates. The second season went a little bit away from Otis problems and gave more time for other characters - his gay friend in a love triangle, a girl who was sexually assaulted in the bus (the talk with other girls from the school in the 7th episode is great and disturbing in the same time) and problems of the adults (including Oti's mother played by great Gillian Anderson). I've watched it in two seatings (7 episodes in the night and one after some hours of sleep in the day) and it's a perfect show to binge-watch if you are looking for something lighter but with important topics as well.

Last edited:

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in of course, and like others have mentioned I think Dracula will most likely end up being my first show due to its brevity and release date.

Oct 25, 2017
Love that there is finally one of these for TV.

ThisNoHasNoName - 4/52

01. Supergirl (S3) - ★★★
02. The Flash (S3) - ★★½
03. Arrow (S5) - ★★★½
04. The Mandalorian (S1) - ★★★★★
05. High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (S1) - ★★★★
06. Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! - ★★★

Arrow (S6)
The Flash (S4)
Supergirl (S4)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S3)
Watchmen (S1)
The Owl House (S1)
Nancy Drew (S1)
Stumptown (S1)
Doctor Who (S11)
Steven Universe: Future (S1)
His Dark Materials (S1)
Ducktails (2017-) (S1)
Treadstone (S1)
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (S1)
Legacies (S2)
Batwoman (S1)

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

Oct 27, 2017
Doing the 52 game challenge, so why not?

Quick question, can I count things that I didn't start this year such as the final season of The Good Place? Or do I need to go back and watch that from the beginning?

January

1. Preacher (S4) - ★★★
2. Watchmen (S1) - ★★★★

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with my first season of the year.

In progress:

Doctor Who Series 12
Dracula
Der Tatortreiniger Season 1

Finished:
  1. Interior Design Masters ★★★

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
01. 01/02 The Wire S5 - ★★★

Show should have ended after the third season, when it was a nice whole. The fourth season was unfocused, with keeping everyone apart and the fifth season just changes the scope and goes completely crazy. Chris/Snoop are the only great parts. But some people just suck, like Herc and S5 McNulty.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Show should have ended after the third season, when it was a nice whole. The fourth season was unfocused, with keeping everyone apart and the fifth season just changes the scope and goes completely crazy. Chris/Snoop are the only great parts. But some people just suck, like Herc and S5 McNulty.
The fourth season of The Wire is the best season of television ever. It not existing would be a travesty.

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Fun! I'm in! :)

NolaDaControlla - 1/52 TV Seasons
1. The Witcher - Season 1 ★★★★★

Currently Watching:
- Hunter x Hunter - Season 2
- The Mandalorian - Season 1
- Dracula - Season 1

Last edited:

KyleP29

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I will give this a go.

1. See (S1) - 1/2/2020 - ★☆☆☆☆ - For an 8 episode season i found this incredibly boring and a slog to get through. I am out for any future seasons this show may get.
  2. Watchmen (S1) - 1/7/2020 - ★★★★★ - Never got into the movie or comics so I felt a bit lost for the first few episodes. But when things clicked they clicked and each episode as more was revealed and explained I found myself getting drawn in more. Especially with some of the best episodes in recent TV that I can remember.
  3. Fleabag (S1) - 1/8/2020 - ★★★☆☆ - Not sure I get what all the accolades are about for this show. There were a few funny parts, and the shorter seasons/episodes do make it easy to get through. There is enough there that I will give the second season a go.
  4. Fleabag (S2) - 1/8/2020 - ★★★☆☆ - A bit more enjoyable season than the first. Overall neither season will be something that sticks with me.
  5. The Expanse (S1) - 1/11/2020 - ★★★☆☆ - Pretty enjoyable. I enjoyed some story lines a bit more than the others but it sounds like they are building to some good things. Looking forward to where this show may be going.
  6. The Expanse (S2) - 1/13/2020 - ★★★★☆ - Really enjoyed this season. Wasn't sure if I was going to continue on to the next season right away or break it up by watching something else but season 2 here hooked me.
  7. The Expanse (S3) - 1/15/2020 - ★★★★☆ - Still really enjoying this series.
  8. The Expanse (S4) - 1/16/2020 - ★★★☆☆ - A slight dip in quality with the recent season with some of the middle episodes being a bit sluggish to get through.
  9. Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez - 1/17/2020 - ★★☆☆☆ - It was truly shocking to be reminded of what a monster he was and the lives he ended for simply no reason. While i thought the documentary did a good job highlighting facts and evidence it never felt like the three episodes had any flow or focus to them jumping around instead of trying to build to something.
  10. The Witcher (S1) - 1/20/2020 - ★★★☆☆ - There were a few highs and some performances that provided enough promise for me to be looking forward to a season 2. That said, the way the season was edited or pieced together with the different timelines just flat out didn't work for me and there wasn't any big pay off to make it worth it either.
  11. Sex Education (S2) - 1/21/2020 - ★★★★☆ - A very solid follow up season to the first that had me laughing quite a bit. They did rely on the same kind of relationship drama for too many of the characters but overall it didnt impact my enjoyment all that much.
  12. Messiah (S1) - 1/24/2020 - ★★☆☆☆ - Didn't really get into the geopolitical nature of the show and none of the characters really stuck with me.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Does Youtube+ count? Because I'm going through guilty pleasure Escape The Night.

Oct 27, 2017
I think my first 7 or 8 series are all going to be Netflix shows.

(1) You S2 [[Netflix]] - ★★★½

Now an original Netflix production, S2 builds on everything that made S1 great. The second season takes time to flesh out its source material with changes and additions, some subtle and others more apparent, for the better. Where You really elevates itself is in its carefully crafted characterization and exposition wrapped up in an atmosphere equal parts harrowing, creepy and familiar. It's uncanny how this show can humanize an irredeemable character like Joe and make him sympathetic to the viewers. While I find his ability to escape situations after he backs himself into a corner a little too ridiculous sometimes and need to suspend my disbelief, I do appreciate the psychological layers they peeled back in exploring his traumatic childhood and the effect it had on his warped worldview. Can't wait to see what's in store going forward. I'm hopeful that the show surprises again and doesn't head in the direction they hinted at in the 2nd season finale; there's a lot of story they can tell but there is a danger in playing it too safe and making Joe's new fascinations seem too familiar at some point.
(1) You S2 [[Netflix]] - ★★★½☆

The first season of this series bored me and I skipped numerous episodes; the second, addictive to say the least. Lost In Space is, from a production standpoint, the best looking show on TV at the moment. No expense is spared in its budget. If you turn your brain off and enjoy it for what it is, it provides a thrilling ride. Writing (constant deus ex machinas, trope riddled characters) and pacing (stuck in 6th gear) could use work but what the show lacks here, it makes up for with its action dependent narrative. I bounce back and forth on the Robinson family; they feel like ridiculous caricatures checking off the boxes too often for my liking and I am not invested in their stories as much as it feels like the show wants me to be. June Harris/Dr. Smith on the other hand, she is a ridiculously written evil villain but is, in my opinion, the most interesting character here and steals every scene she's in.

Last edited:

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished S1 of Gomorrah and I had no idea it was so good, wow. I think Ill be binge watching the remaining 3 seasons of this next. Then I have to dive into some murder mystery shows, as I got addicted to them over christmas with the parents. It is non stop Death In Paradise (which is good fun if anyone hasn't seen it, although not particularly deep) at their house.
I like the look of Hinterland on Netflix so might give that a go.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
That is awesome that stuff that concludes this year counts. I could have been off to a great start but I binged too much last year. RatskyWatsky , should we keep a single post in the thread and keep updating it as we conclude our seasons?

01. The Boys (S1) - ★★★★
I'm not sure what even will qualify as a 5 star season to me at this point but this show is one I enjoyed a lot and already looking forward to season 2.
02. Dollface (S1) - ★★
An okay show that I may or may not stick around for when/if season 2 comes along. I would probably give it 3 stars if the lead were different. Kat Dennings just seems so emotionless in a lot of scenes and pretty much all other cast members are more entertaining to me than her.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
AHS '84 (S9) beat Dracula to the punch as my first show of year. The time when I could consider a season of American Horror Story as a possible contender for show of the year has passed for a while now. Quality has become inconsistent throughout and the last two seasons especially have seen the series turn more into a dumb fun watch than anything else. All the hacking and slashing did get long in the tooth halfway through tho.

10/10 music. 80's rule.

KingFox - 01/52

01. American Horror Story: 1984 - ★★★

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
02. 01/04 The Vampire Diaries S6 - ★★★★

Season 5 was weak with that Traveller focus, but Kai ensures a return to form. But most important, the couple of the decade with Elena and Damon. Also, Warner has a fantastic Blu-Ray feature. When you reach the end of the disc, it just asks you to eject and insert the next disc, and then it nicely starts the next episode without going through the menu. If you compare that to some Blu-Rays where you have to keep notes because the disc doesn't keep track, this is great.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
01. 1/4: Escape the Night (S4)
★★ 1/2

Not exactly my favorite season (especially disappointing as it was an all-star episode) but it was entertaining as always.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Interior Design Masters on Netflix, it was fun but I didn't like the winner, the runner up should have won.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know how I want to keep formatting stuff but I think I will stop writing too much for a review and will probably stick with the star ratings for now. Gonna repost my old stuff and add onto them.

01. The Boys (S1) - ★★★★
02. Dollface (S1) - ★★
03. Infinity Train (S1) - ★★★
04. Oh Jerome, No (S1) - ★★★★★

Oh Jerome, No might be something thats hard to count. Not sure if should be included under the rules but it did have a 2 hour marathon of all 8 episodes. I think they are just typically cut into the show, Cake.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Pesky Therizinosaurus
Oct 25, 2017
RatskyWatsky - 15/52 TV Seasons, 12/? Shows

~ January ~

1. Star Wars: Clone Wars | S3 | ★★★
2. Dracula | ★★½
3. The Good Place | S3 | ★★★★
4. Bonding | S1 | ★★★
5. Star Wars: Clone Wars | S4 | ★★★ 1/2
6. Peaky Blinders | S5 | ★★★
7. Derry Girls | S1 | ★★★
8. Star Wars: Clone Wars | S5 | ★★★ 1/2
9. Medical Police | S1 | ★★★★
10. Derry Girls | S2 | ★★★
11. Grace and Frankie | S6 | ★★★
12. Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts | ★★★
13. Seis Manos | ★★
14. Sex Education | S2 | ★★★
1/2
15. Little America | S1 | ★★★★

Last edited:

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
01. Firefly ★★★★1/2
02. Messiah ★★★
03. Mr. Robot ★★★★
04. The Witcher ★★★★

Finally watched Firefly. Had no idea it was only 14 episodes. Now I know why it's such a loved show. The setting is great, the characters are quickly well developed, and it has Nathan fillan. Watched the movie for closure, but man I could watch another 4 seasons

Watching

The good place
The good doctor
Picard
Arrow
Flash

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
02. 1/5: Superstore (S3)
★★★★

Another great season from my winter binge watch. In retrospect, if I had known, I would have watched Runaways this year. I had to speed things up since I found out S5's coming out sooner than I though. My favorite episodes were episodes 1-6, 14-16, and 20-21. Kelly took a while to gel, but I thought she did well. She turned things around in the Halloween episode. Oh, and I finally got the foot joke.

Last edited:

KingFox

May 17, 2018
KingFox - 02/52

~ January ~
01. American Horror Story: 1984 - ★★★½
02. Dracula - ★★½

Finished up Dracula. I liked the first episode well enough, the second a little less and the third, well that one was just straight up garbage. Claes Bang was a fun Count Dracula at least.

Still need to continue with Spinning Out and Messiah, but I also really need to start catching up on some stuff for the TV Show of the Year Thread.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Well, ratsky you said we had to be honest so I must reluctantly acknowledge that the first season I completed in 2020 is...

01. The Witcher (S1)- ★★

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Spectromixer - 8/52 Seasons

Seasons:
  1. Runaways (S3, 7 episodes)*
  2. Dracula (2020) (3 episodes)
  3. The Twilight Zone (S3, 37 episodes)
  4. Infinity Train (Book II, 10 episodes)
  5. The Twilight Zone (S4, 37 episodes)
  6. The Witcher (S1, 8 episodes)
  7. The Twilight Zone (S5, 36 episodes)
  8. Star Wars: Resistance (S2, 5 episodes)*

*partial season, watched the other part of the season in 2019

Total episodes - 143

52 Books | 52 Movies 2020 Challenge

Last edited:

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Back with a much better show for number 2...

01. The Witcher (S1)- ★★
02. Dracula- ★★★1/2

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
02. 01/04 The Vampire Diaries S6 - ★★★★
03. 01/10 The Vampire Diaries S7 - ★★★

I find this season to be less interesting, they spent too little time on the Julian-infested town and too much on the Armory which is just not that interesting aside from the set-up for the eight season. Rayna also fizzles out a bit.