• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My dream is to move back to SoCal. But yeah I may become a Florida Man *gulp* build up my skills, go to school and hopefully come back home with a sweet tech job.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Been here my whole life and don't plan on leaving anytime soon, but I get or understand the sentiment.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lifelong Californian. I've known several people who have moved away because they couldn't afford to live here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever been to California? If you are not rich, enjoy Northern California or the Central Valley

Multiple times. I love it. My husband is from the Central Valley. I've lived in Texas my whole life up until this year.

We're educated. We wouldn't live in California unless there's a job or a school there that's willing to pay for us to live there.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder how large the cross-section is between those wanting to move out and the people who fight tooth & nail against easing zoning and build build build so we can actually meet demand. But yeah, leave LA please that would be great.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Great Recession cost the US alone $14 trillion in financial losses and 20 million jobs worldwide - almost entirely due to a runaway, unregulated housing market. And here we are twelve years later and ain't shit changed. The next recession will only exacerbate the problems we're seeing in places like the Bay area and Seattle. We need heavy regulation, there's no way around it. The market is too expensive and, ironically, volatile and fickle, to leave it up to the forces of greed in finance to steer the ship.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple times. I love it. My husband is from the Central Valley. I've lived in Texas my whole life up until this year.

We're educated. We wouldn't live in California unless there's a job or a school there that's willing to pay for us to live there.

I've lived here my whole life from Northern Cali ( Modoc County) to right smack in the san joaquin Valley. Rent keeps increasing in the valley the past few years which is a shame because I love being close enough to San Francisco from where I'm at.

My Grandma lived down near Orange County since coming over from Mexico when she was a little girl so I've been around this place haha

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
The plan used to be cash out and move to Oregon, but man do they hate us now. :(

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Lord knows Texas has seen a diaspora of Californians bringing their traffic and bad manners here. For real, you never heard the horn on the road here [my town] ten years ago; and now all the migrants drive with one hand on it.

Wish someone good morning on the street and he goes, "Do I know you?" Beyotch, gtfo and go back where you came from if you're gonna be like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Lord knows Texas has seen a diaspora of Californians bringing their traffic and bad manners here. For real, you never heard the horn on the road here [my town] ten years ago; and now all the migrants drive with one hand on it.

Wish someone good morning on the street and he goes, "Do I know you?" Beyotch, gtfo and go back where you came from if you're gonna be like that.
lmfao Houstonians had bad manners on the road before any Californians came

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
When I lived in Sacramento and the SF bubble started to expand, there was definitely a massage surge of people coming in because even the greater Sac metro area was getting some heavy traffic. By the time I was leaving, rush hour was insanely harsh.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I definitely want to leave

The cost of living here sucks. Everything is so exuberant that the sheer thought of moving out of my parents' house whilst living here just seems like a pipe dream.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop-Dont-Come-Back-Sarcastic-Willy-Wonka-Gif.gif

this energy...

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Reading this makes me think I'm making a huge mistake by moving to California. I'm heading there in 2 days, driving 2,600 miles to get there. I'll only be making $20/hr, but I do live very frugally, so I hope I can get by.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Lived in CA my whole life and I don't want to live anywhere else, but I understand why people feel this way. There's a lot that needs to be fixed.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I want to leave.

Heavy traffic

Increased risk of drought and wildfires due to climate change

High cost of living / unaffordable housing

Population density can be a bit unbearable

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Well, the worsening traffic is caused by all the Uber's and Lyfts and food delivery trucks that weren't on the road a few years ago.

Nov 7, 2017
I moved to CA 4 years ago and I want to leave.....

To fucking Europe because there is no way you can get me to live in shitty Texas or North Carolina or all the other "cheap" states that Californians are dreaming of moving to

Let's face it California is probably the best the US has as far as quality of life and lack of any extreme climate conditions and that's not saying much

Last edited:

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018

To fucking Europe because there is no way you can get me to live in shitty Texas or North Carolina or all the other "cheap" states that Californians are dreaming of moving to

Let's face it California is probably the best the US has as far as quality of life and lack of any extreme climate conditions and that's not saying much
You were telling us back at the old place how happy you were moving from Florida to Cali.

Sorry to hear that.

Nov 7, 2017
You were telling us back at the old place how happy you were moving from Florida to Cali.

Sorry to hear that.
I want a fucking house tho and that shit ain't happening in CA anytime soon

SF is cool but I miss the nightlife of Miami and other cities like Barcelona where you are out until 7am and places are still open. For a world class city SF is surprisingly prude af when it comes to nightlife

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

I'd totally move to Ljubljana if I had the chance. That would probably be my pick.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
I want a fucking house tho and that shit ain't happening in CA anytime soon

SF is cool but I miss the nightlife of Miami and other cities like Barcelona where you are out until 7am and places are still open. For a world class city SF is surprisingly prude af when it comes to nightlife
Oh yea, I know what you mean since I also lived in Miami and I was stationed in Spain when I was in the military. Best times of my life for sure.

Too many Red Bull and vodkas though in Spain lol.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
this never made much sense to me, "I hate california so i'll move to texas and vote for the things that made me hate california"

There is a reason why stuff in California is so expensive. Its not a single thing of course, but a lot of it is the progressive agenda. Either accept it or leave, but thinking you'll somehow move somewhere and then change it to be like california but without the costs is ludicrous.

Yeah that's the unfortunate side of it. Last vote they passed a prop that will build 200M dollar bike lines in the gentrified side of the city and all households in travis count are footing the bill. Like $200/year almost for a middle class family that will never use it so affluent people can bike the 4 months a year that won't result in a heatstroke.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean that high cost of living states that provide terrible public services are driving people away?!

As someone who was on SNAP, son on WIC, any Medicaid on Arkansas and NY. Arkansas welfare services (and DMV/quality of life) was so much better while being broke as dirt.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
question for CA residents, do banks out there just not give mortgage loans? The monthly payments (going by Zillow) don't seem THAT harsh compared to what I was expecting for SoCal.

Not familiar with local laws or how much income you need to qualify

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Imagine living in some place like... Arkansas.

I moved to Arkansas from the East Coast three years ago and I like it. There's plenty to do and see in Northwest Arkansas and the cost of living is still low (although that could change in the future). My wife and I pay $1k/month for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a great backyard. And our house has appreciated in value between 3 to 5 percent every year because the area is attractive.

My only big complaint is the lack of mid-tier grocery stores like Kroger, Publix, Safeway, etc. Which I assume is thanks to the political influence of Walmart. I also miss the Ocean somewhat, but I can make do without it being surrounded by the Ozarks.

Nov 1, 2017
I think hosting one of the largest housing crises in modern history will do that to you. Wife and I would love to live in the Bay Area except for the cost of living (housing specifically) being insane.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I see just as many California plates as I do Colorado plates here in metro Denver. And they're coming here with so much money that they're dropping all cash offers way above the asking price for homes in my area. I love my house, but there's no fucking way it should be worth almost $400K.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
question for CA residents, do banks out there just not give mortgage loans? The monthly payments (going by Zillow) don't seem THAT harsh compared to what I was expecting for SoCal.

Not familiar with local laws or how much income you need to qualify

What do you consider not that harsh and where in CA are you looking?

Banks definitely give out mortgage loans, and housing prices are so out of whack that it's probably a bit more lenient than other places because the percentage of your income that goes towards housing is usually much bigger than the traditional markets. But saving that downpayment costs a lot of money, a more expensive house means more property taxes (and you're basically footing the bill for longer tenured owners because of Prop 13), and in some areas, if you don't have all cash upfront good luck winning a bid.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Born and raised in L.A. I've always thought I would stay in California but I really want to live in another state. Rent is expensive.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
living in New York City, so many people I know want to move to LA. It all balances out

But I'm smart enough to not leave the GOAT city

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
All the stories that I've heard about places like LA and SF seem like it's a prime neoliberal hellhole for normal people. Could just be that cost of living is insane and people are getting priced out.