• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going by what I've read in other threads, the California -> Texas transplants have mostly been the red-tinted Californians and that they're actually making Texas redder (when it was purpling steadily).

Pretty weird when you think about it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have plenty of ire to go around my dude. Thanks for standing up for the poor Bay Area tech parasites though, the true victims here.
Lol.

I mean any cursory research on the issue will show that the Bay Area is doing this to themselves.

Rich assholes will always be amongst us. What concrete initiatives do you want?

Also the whole techbro thing is rather unspecific. Are you talking about venture capitalists or also including developers? Developers get paid well for sure, esp in SF/SV but they are rarely of the capitalist class.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So contribute to sprawl which will prove costly in the future. Also traffic will be a bitch. Have fun driving 15min+ just to get to a place 3miles away
Thing is though is while living in the heart of a city like Dallas or Houston is more expensive than a suburb, it's still massively cheaper than a lot of places in Cali. Like actually reasonably affordable. So it's possible to avoid sprawl in many areas if that's what you're looking for.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
My wife and I talk about moving out of California often. About half of my check goes to rent and I have a decent job. We like California, we grew up here. But this state SUCKS when it comes to cost of living.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

I mean any cursory research on the issue will show that the Bay Area is doing this to themselves.

Rich assholes will always be amongst us. What concrete initiatives do you want?

Also the whole techbro thing is rather unspecific. Are you talking about venture capitalists or also including developers? Developers get paid well for sure, esp in SF/SV but they are rarely of the capitalist class.

The later arrivals aren't able to break into the property market due to the insanely high housing prices, but who do you think bought up all the stock originally, then refused further building? In what world are NIMBY's and westcoast tech workers mutually exclusive terms?

This is my entire point. The tech workers who were able to get into the propertymarket are then able to sell their property for a massive windfall when they get tired of SF and relocate to a lower cost (read: any) tech hub and buy their suburban/urban redlined dreamhome. The tech workers who couldn't get into the property market are still able to save massive amounts of wealth and dump it into property when they move to Seattle/Austin/Dallas/Denver/etc. and price out everyone else. Just because they're not a literal mortgage lender or something does not absolve them from responsibility.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
This is my entire point. The tech workers who were able to get into the propertymarket are then able to sell their property for a massive windfall when they get tired of SF and relocate to a lower cost (read: any) tech hub and buy their suburban/urban redlined dreamhome. The tech workers who couldn't get into the property market are still able to save massive amounts of wealth and dump it into property when they move to Seattle/Austin/Dallas/Denver/etc. and price out everyone else. Just because they're not a literal mortgage lender or something does not absolve them from responsibility.

I can believe this.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
the-grinch-movie-funny-billboard-ads-7-5bec301f86f15__700.jpg

Oh, the hours I spend daily on the 405 and 101. Sometimes I feel It'll be the death of me

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The later arrivals aren't able to break into the property market due to the insanely high housing prices, but who do you think bought up all the stock originally, then refused further building? In what world are NIMBY's and westcoast tech workers mutually exclusive terms?

Oh ok. You're talking about anyone working in the tech industry since the early internet days. Those guys are not tech bros, they are in their 40s and 50s. And they can make continue their rein of NIMBY terror until they are detoothed. They have too much power. Tech bros in their 20s are not buying real estate in SF or SV. They can't afford it, even with six figure salaries.

I get your argument now. The tech industry is creating a lot of inequality I agree there. I say this is a tech worker, although I'm not a developer. I work in business development.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok. You're talking about anyone working in the tech industry since the early internet days. Those guys are not tech bros, they are in their 40s and 50s. And they can make continue their rein of NIMBY terror until they are detoothed. They have too much power. Tech bros in their 20s are not buying real estate in SF or SV. They can't afford it, even with six figure salaries.

I get your argument now. The tech industry is creating a lot of inequality I agree there. I say this is a tech worker, although I'm not a developer. I work in business development.
Yeah man no worries I know you're good people. I am a tech worker too (only way to keep up with cost of living here). The whole system is fucked and we just need to figure out a way to get the system working again so that it doesn't only serve the very very wealthiest classes. IMO the best way to do that is to empower workers of all classes, and I'm working in my community to that end.