• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If you've ever looked at a 360 Hz monitor and thought, "This isn't fast enough," here's something to look forward to. While we've seen monitor prototypes surpass 360 Hz, the highest native refresh rate you'll find on a PC display these days, it seems that AU Optronics (AUO) is working on panels that'll be available with an even snappier 480 Hz refresh rate.

Of course, not many would look at a screen updating with new information 360 times every second as lagging. But for very fast-paced action—like in a competitive game where words and items whizz by in an instant or where a few milliseconds of a delay could be the difference between a win or a loss—more speed may be imperative.
As spotted by TFT Central this week, AUO announced via a YouTube video that it's working on a 24-inch PC monitor panel with a 480 Hz refresh rate and response time that's under 1 ms (the brand didn't get any more specific there). And it's aimed at gamers.

AUO, which sells panels to monitor vendors, including Acer, Asus, and MSI, also highlighted a 16-inch 480 Hz screen made for laptops. The response time here seems to be slightly higher, at "1.xms," according to the video.
Unsurprisingly, both displays work with 1920×1080 pixels, sacrificing sharper image quality for speed. For comparison, a 24-inch monitor with 4K resolution has a pixel density of 183.58 pixels per inch (ppi) versus the 91.79 ppi a 1080p alternative offers.

But 1080p is a marked improvement from when we saw the 480 Hz refresh rate in 2017. As recalled by ComputerBase, ZisWorks shared a 480 Hz prototype then, but the resolution was a measly 960×540. For what it's worth, BlurBusters pointed to visible image quality improvements at the time, including reduced motion blur, even when compared to 240 Hz. Since it's a shorter leap from 360 Hz to 480 Hz, it'd be interesting to see if we could tell the difference.

arstechnica.com

PC and laptop displays are working toward 480 Hz

AUO and LG had already been linked to 480 Hz, FHD-resolution PC screens.

Frequent this thread if old.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm VERY particular about frames/performance/latency. I had a 144hz display like a full decade ago. And I'm all about reducing input and display lag as much as possible.

But I just have to admit to myself I struggle to perceive much value beyond about ~165hz. I've tried a 360, and no doubt it was dope and super cool - but it didn't improve my performance. Beyond about 144/165, I'd rather just have more resolution or more bells and whistles.

Cool for people that want it, though!

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Agreed. I also used a 144 Hz monitor, and I even have trouble perceiving anything above 144 Hz. Is it even worth hitting 480 Hz refresh rate on the computer at this point? It's a thought to ponder....

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
idk I feel like you hit greatly diminishing returns at 144 or 240 (let alone 360) for both performance hit and number of people with the input/reaction speed to actually capitalize on perceiving this. rather see effort/resources go into Higher Quality Pixels (tm), eg better color and contrast, for monitors

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
My monitor only caps at 100Hz, so I have no dog in this fight. I did find this Linus video to be interesting a couple of years back and is probably still relevant even though the test caps at 240.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Tbh a good 60hz is usually enough for me in most circumstances. 90 is nice, around 120 or above I feel like I've definitely hit diminishing returns in basically every case.

I'd much rather better quality 144 or 165hz panels with color accuracy, image retention, multiple overdrive modes and the like rather than just such absurdly high refresh rates.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
And yet a 120hz OLED with BFI will deliver better motion clarity at a quarter of the render cost.

LCD is simply the wrong display technology for a gaming focused monitor.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
240Hz is about the maximum which most people will be able to perceive.
It is also a good refresh which is evenly divideable by 24, 30, 48, 60 and 120. This makes it an optimal choice for most content and for usage in multidisplay configurations.
Anything above that is a complete overkill even on superfast OLEDs IMO. 99% of users won't be able to see any improvements from going above 240.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, how long is the frame actually displayed with BFI on, say, the LG C1? Like, at 60fps it would usually stay up for 16.6ms. Does BFI flicker it off after e.g. 1ms, meaning 15.6ms out of the 16.6ms are in black? Or what is the ratio here? I'm wondering in particular, because brightness is one of the largest concerns and I reckon displaying the frames only extremely shortly (say 0.1ms) would cause lower brightness by a lot.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
It is also a good refresh which is evenly divideable by 24, 30, 48, 60 and 120. This makes it an optimal choice for most content and for usage in multidisplay configurations.
I mean, that's technically true, but a new >240hz display will probably also come with variable refresh rate support so it doesn't really matter.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I'm very sensitive to performance issues but honestly, after 144Hz I don't notice the difference. My 165Hz feels no different to my 144Hz. After 144Hz I'd focus on other things like resolution and picture quality.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly I kind of struggle to think of how useful this would be.

I've not tried above 144hz (and I use the 120 mode) but honestly even though I can see and feel 120, I really don't feel much improvement going from 120 to 60 for the most part. I can't imagine that 240 would be all that useful or noticeable, much less 360 or 480hz...

I dunno though. Witcher 3 at 120FPS was such a damn blast of a game

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Does a higher refresh reduce the motion fade? For example, I always notice the after-affect when dragging around the mouse on my 144Hz laptop. It's no better than 60Hz monitors. I'd hope that can be improved, but I've never seen a screen where it isn't an issue.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather have a 120 Hz OLED screen than a 480 Hz LCD.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'm fine with 144Hz and the money I'd have to spend to get equivalent performance on a 240Hz monitor at 3440*1440 is laughable. 480Hz is nowhere near my horizon. Nowhere.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Wish they'd focus on being brighter instead, HDR needs to be better and more widely available, or heck go even further beyond and start doing more OLEDS in the space, nobody needs more then 240hz, there's like 3 competitive games giving you those frame rates if you have the horsepower for it and your resolution sucks and the 100 people in the world who could benefit from speeds like that probably aren't playing on laptops professionally.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Wish they'd focus on being brighter instead, HDR needs to be better and more widely available, or heck go even further beyond and start doing more OLEDS in the space, nobody needs more then 240hz, there's like 3 competitive games giving you those frame rates if you have the horsepower for it and your resolution sucks and the 100 people in the world who could benefit from speeds like that probably aren't playing on laptops professionally.
Agreed. The fact that monitors are so behind in HDR is so disappointing.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to it but I don't think the game(s) I play can output that fast. I hope they keep going though, and before I'm a senior.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
How about instead of this pointless monitor equivalent to the mouse dpi race they instead focus on getting quality monitors out to the market with good QC and consistency. The monitor market is so frustrating. We already have 360hz and even that much is needless overkill.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally sample and hold displays can come close to the motion handling of CRT without BFI. Although you would need games running at this framerate to see the benefit, which is a tall order.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
yeah sure go ahead, just makes games easier for me to run at 60 fps. i have a 144hz and just... didn't care so i don't bother with games.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
480hz is pointless. LCD/led sucks. You want to improve things, emulate phosphor decay with oled. Having 4k motion resolution at 60 or 120 fps would be a massive improvement over anything on the market.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
144 hz is the sweet spot for achievable performance and low latency for me so anything above that is overkill in my book.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The low hanging fruit of higher refresh rates...I sleep tight. Don't even have a need for >144Hz

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The difference between 60 and 120 is already invisible to 99% of people

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very sensitive to performance issues but honestly, after 144Hz I don't notice the difference. My 165Hz feels no different to my 144Hz. After 144Hz I'd focus on other things like resolution and picture quality.
Same here, 144hz is as high as I would go and I'm also on a 165hz monitor as well.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Same here, 144hz is as high as I would go and I'm also on a 165hz monitor as well.

I think 120Hz is honestly the sweet spot. In a lot of games I will cap my frame rate to 120 and push the visuals as far as I can without dropping a frame, 120 rock solid feels great on 165Hz. Obviously if it's an eSports game I'll run it at 162 (to avoid tearing) but if I can't hit that without dips 120 is my go to.

The difference between 60 and 120 is already invisible to 99% of people

Surely not, that is extremely noticeable.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I think 120Hz is honestly the sweet spot. In a lot of games I will cap my frame rate to 120 and push the visuals as far as I can without dropping a frame, 120 rock solid feels great on 165Hz. Obviously if it's an eSports game I'll run it at 162 (to avoid tearing) but if I can't hit that without dips 120 is my go to.
Yeah that too, I also rely on 120hz as well.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
LCD starts looking pretty good in motion around 200hz, but you have to actually have 200fps to actually realize this improvement. 360hz was already pushed well past where the vast majority of games could even drive that sort frame rate to make it worthwhile. 480hz without 480fps probably gains you next to nothing over a 360hz display.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
LCD starts looking pretty good in motion around 200hz, but you have to actually have 200fps to actually realize this improvement. 360hz was already pushed well past where the vast majority of games could even drive that sort frame rate to make it worthwhile. 480hz without 480fps probably gains you next to nothing over a 360hz display.
These are all pretty much exclusively aimed at eSports games that can run at extremely high framerates even without top tier hardware. Anything else and good luck ever making use of those refresh rates. Even then I feel that 240 Hz and above are more felt than seen. They feel more responsive, which is great for these fast paced games. 60 -> 120 Hz is the biggest perceived change.

While higher refresh rates do reduce perceived motion blur, I really wonder if LCD tech can actually keep up with it. I would like to see these higher refresh rates pushed in OLED tech instead as those have the real ~1ms pixel response times to keep up.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Overkill and I'd rather they keep it lower and work on more important things like energy consumption

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
144, maybe even a consistent 120 is what most people can appreciate

Probably good to play a fighting game on this tho

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is just the result of natural technical development in terms of "yeah we can now manufacture displays at higher refresh rates".
They're going to market it and try to sell it to you in any way, but I have to agree personally that there is a case of negligible difference w.r.t. high refresh rate monitors.
It's a TN panel anyway, so it's primarily for the e-sports market where colour reproduction isn't the most important factor, where I can imagine that these higher refresh rates are somewhat applicable, although again it can be disputed whether the difference is noticeable or not.

Nontheless, pretty cool though, I tried 300Hz and I do notice it v.s. my 144fps monitor, but in the end, I'm still worse at the game than my friend who has a 60 Hz monitor 🤣.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017

Frametime = The time each frame stays on screen before the next is being displayed.

144hz = 6,94ms frametime
165hz = 6,06ms frametime

In this example the frametime difference between 144hz and 165hz is less than 1ms (6,94ms - 6,06ms = 0,88ms). No wonder you can't tell the difference!

For reference the 60/30hz comparison:

60hz = 16,66ms frametime
30hz = 33,33ms frametime

Here, the frametime difference is ~16ms and noticeable to most people. Consequently, the frametime difference between 60/30hz is over 16x larger than between 144/165hz. There are people who already have issues seeing the 16ms frametime difference between 60/30hz and you might need to tell them what to look out for to notice.

The thing is, we are already in the single digit millisecond frametime range with 120hz displays (8,33ms frametime) and our eyes aren't really made to differentiate between single digit millisecond differences very well. Another way to put this: We are already way up on the diminishing returns graph and it really isn't all useful to push this harder.

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
So I should have a better motion clarity on my LG B1 with 1080p120 than on a 240 hz IPS panel?

If the B1 supports 120hz BFI like the C1 and G1 (I honestly never looked into it), then yes.

Sample and hold motion blur at 120hz BFI is the same as native 240hz sample and hold motion blur and the instant pixel response means there's no overshoot artefacts or pixel transitions that miss the 4.167ms window.

Even without BFI, I'd take the artefact free motion of an OLED at 120hz over an LCD any day, regardless of the refresh rate.

PC gaming monitors focusing on these competently unachievable refresh rates are tackling the problem in the wrong way.

Focus on delivering the absolute minimal lag in a 120hz OLED BFI mode and you'll have better motion at a performance level that is actually achievable. It would allow these monitors to target something other than 1080p without bright shining greys for black levels as well.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
welll the only problem i've found since getting a 1440p/155hz screen a couple years ago, is that I can only reach that framerate on older games. even with a 3070ti, i'm not reaching that max framerate unless I drop res/settings combo on new "ish" releases
now that said, unless it's a multiplayer game, as long as i'm staying within my freesync boundaries, i'm fine not hitting that in single player games.

so assuming it's just for pro players playing titles like cs go, i'm assuming these kinds of refresh rates can be hit.

that said, i'm on the verge of hooking up to my CX to reduce my max framerate to 120 anyway. cant move away from my desk for all games though, looking at you, flight sim

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm VERY particular about frames/performance/latency. I had a 144hz display like a full decade ago. And I'm all about reducing input and display lag as much as possible.

But I just have to admit to myself I struggle to perceive much value beyond about ~165hz. I've tried a 360, and no doubt it was dope and super cool - but it didn't improve my performance. Beyond about 144/165, I'd rather just have more resolution or more bells and whistles.

Cool for people that want it, though!

I see 240 over 165 in Overwatch, but yeah, I'm not sure how much I would notice beyond that AND not having the horsepower to drive games at that framerate