• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

A week after selling its Western studios, Square Enix says it will establish or buy new ones | VGC

The company further explained its reasoning behind the studio sales…

Swedish company Embracer announced last week that it has agreed to acquire a large part of Square Enix's western development arm for $300 million, including Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, Square Enix Montreal and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

In an official statement, Square Enix said at the time that the deal would let it focus on investments in blockchain, AI and the cloud.
The company said it intended to reshape its Digital Entertainment portfolio partly through creating new IP, speeding up decision making through an integrated group management, and by "boost[ing] game development capabilities by establishing new studios, M&A, etc."

Although it may seem surprising that Square Enix is already looking to establish studios so soon after selling established developers, it's likely the company intends to pursue a different direction more closely aligned with its latest company goals.

In a statement issued alongside the Embracer announcement last week, Square Enix said that, "going forward, the company's development function will comprise its studios in Japan, Square Enix External Studios, and Square Enix Collective."

sell this thread if old.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't know why this is such a big deal. They want studios that actually make money for them. Their western studios weren't making money.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it'd be pretty funny if they bought a western studio and it made a successful marvel game

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean I don't know why this is such a big deal. They want studios that actually make money for them. Their western studios weren't making money.
I think mostly because they originally said it was to build up their Japanese devs and then invest into the blockchain. Following the whole NFT crypto crash thing going on, this seems like a backdown. May not be how it actually played out but I think that's the narrative people are reacting to.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Nailed it. With SE's current output they're definitely looking at small-sized studios rather than juggernauts like Crystal Dynamics and Eidos.
I think the point still stands. They sold them because they didn't manage them well but turned right around and went "well maybe these other studios will be better" with what seems wasn't much self reflection.

Reminds me a lot of Capcom dumping Capcom
Vancouver and not thinking "maybe we failed them more than they did us"

I think consolidating to something smaller they can handle is fine but it still feels a bit odd when it's so clear cut. But who knows, CD is probably in better hands without square anyway.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i get why they sold but with how hard it is to find employees i feel like they fucked up

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Making a "Square Enix West" is probably easier for them than pulling the other companies at the roots and having them fall in line.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Probably be looking for smaller scale stuff, so not surprising really. They just freed up a lot of their budget.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Makes sense but I'm sure this will get twisted into "omg square is so dumb lol"

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe not buying a studio in the most expensive cities in the US and Canada this time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point still stands. They sold them because they didn't manage them well but turned right around and went "well maybe these other studios will be better" with what seems wasn't much self reflection.

Reminds me a lot of Capcom dumping Capcom
Vancouver and not thinking "maybe we failed them more than they did us"

I think consolidating to something smaller they can handle is fine but it still feels a bit odd when it's so clear cut. But who knows, CD is probably in better hands without square anyway.

It's less about "managing them well" and more that Crystal Dynamics was, and still is, a cash black hole that was never going to turn a profit. They weren't making money as a single player developer and they bombed horribly at making live services. They've got no way to win, short of packing up and moving the entire company someplace where the cost of living isn't astronomical.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
Square is trying to refocus on Japanese games and developers, which is in line with the CEO's comments about Japanese devs not needing to copy western devs. These new studios will be in Japan which will make them easier to manage and operate more in line with how square wants to make games.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

It's not at all. We saw how much demand there was for those studios, clearly Square wasn't the only one who saw them as a risky investment going forward.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I don't think the problem was Square's management, they gave the studios big budgets and a huge license, but they didn't made money back

Unless there are devs saying something about Square I'm not aware of

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Nailed it. With SE's current output they're definitely looking at small-sized studios rather than juggernauts like Crystal Dynamics and Eidos.
Obsidian is what I would consider a medium - big studio and they are releasing 7 projects over 7 years. They just aren't trying to chase every trend and are making interesting things that don't need big open worlds or hundreds of hours

It's like everyone forgot the AA bangers of gen7

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Right. They had a studio developing games in a franchise that was averaging about 13M copies sold per game (Tomb Raider) but they couldn't manage it to make that profitable. I fail to see how any new studios would change that. If you can't make money on sales like that, you've got a management problem.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian is what I would consider a medium - big studio and they are releasing 7 projects over 7 years. They just aren't trying to chase every trend and are making interesting things that don't need big open worlds or hundreds of hours

It's like everyone forgot the AA bangers of gen7

Obsidian almost died multiple times and was basically living project to project before Microsoft bought them.

Right. They had a studio developing games in a franchise that was averaging about 13M copies sold per game (Tomb Raider) but they couldn't manage it to make that profitable. I fail to see how any new studios would change that. If you can't make money on sales like that, you've got a management problem.

Or you have a studio making games in a city where the cost of living is too high to justify the kind of work you're doing.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
I don't want to pretend that I know what went wrong during the development. But managing to make an Avengers game during the peak of MCU hype and have it not make money was quite the achievement

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get this feeling they're gonna focus on acquiring mobile game developers. Or something like that.

Gotta make the money somehow.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Maybe not buying a studio in the most expensive cities in the US and Canada this time.

Montreal is the biggest game dev hub in Canada, if smaller and indipendent studios can have dozens of employees there while Square Enix Europe is struggling it has more to do with the Management at the top than "expensive city" and on top of this the Montreal government provides extensive tax cuts to videogame developers.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
It's less about "managing them well" and more that Crystal Dynamics was, and still is, a cash black hole that was never going to turn a profit. They weren't making money as a single player developer and they bombed horribly at making live services. They've got no way to win, short of packing up and moving the entire company someplace where the cost of living isn't astronomical.
They've been saying this about the western studios for years, even when they usually made money, it was always below expectations.

Never heard a peep about Balan Wonderworld though, legitimate trash fire game.

Seems like if the west studios aren't making FF money they're "underperforming"

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
I can see this blowing up in their face like it does with other companies that recklessly buy out other smaller studios, like EA. Big companies predicate their success not on individual dollars made but by GROWTH. That's often why many corrupt large companies in the VG industry go for an "ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD OR BUST" mentality. Stock traders don't want to see their investment pay off, but to see it continue to pay off in bigger amounts constantly.

So what will likely happen is that SE will get small studio that make small success, then will be incensed to make them grow because that will make them MORE money surely! But critical mass of game development will hit them like a truck and they will start to see these companies as failures for not producing even LARGER finances constantly and either axe them (like EA) or sell them off, like Crystal D and Eidos... AGAIN

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They've been saying this about the western studios for years, even when they usually made money, it was always below expectations.

Look at Crystal Dynamics' actual financials. They were BARELY breaking even year to year, with zero growth.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Maybe I'm the only one looking at this differently but just because they want to acquire or establish western studios doesn't mean they want to try ALL OF THAT STUFF they did with their recently sold studios again.

For all we know they want to establish roots in the west and have those companies make titles for their existing IP's. Think: a GaaS action RPG in the FF universe but made by a western studio that understands that target demographic instead of taking wild stabs at the genre to some degree of failure via Eastern studios, despite Platinum helping.

I just don't think they're trying to trade their car in for a new one just like it. I think they maybe realize Eidos and CD just weren't good fits and maybe instead they should focus on that more, or use western studios for different projects? Spread themselves less thin when it comes to IP's?

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
If the new studios are established in Japan they might have an easier time managing them. They could also build the studio from the ground up to be inline with their plans. Its probably easier build a studio from scratch that is focused on making live service games than to take a studio that has only ever made single player games and get them to make one.

s y

Nov 8, 2017

Look at the financials. Even when their games did well, they were below expectations because the studio cost so much money to run year to year.

Balan Wonderwhatever probably cost less to develop than Eidos and CD's building rent.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
With 300 million big ones why not? Probably open up a dozen. Just so long as they're having fun, that's what's most important.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

To be fair, Balan's budget was probably very low compared to games like Tomb Raider, Avengers or Guardians. Square's problem was always that they expected their western studios to replicate the success of, say, Sony's recent games or even higher considering they likely spend even more on them than Sony does. Shadow of the Tomb Raider cost between $110-135 million to produce, apparently.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at Crystal Dynamics' actual financials. They were BARELY breaking even year to year, with zero growth.
Yeah when you look at that way, kinda makes sense why Square wanted them to work with a popular IP and a more profitable game structure (GaaS). As a way to move the studio toward profitability, it seems like an okay idea on paper even though it didn't pan out.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Square Enix buys Fromsoft -

*Elden Ring 2 is the best selling game of all time*

Square Enix:

"It is not enough"

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
To be fair, Balan's budget was probably very low compared to games like Tomb Raider, Avengers or Guardians. Square's problem was always that they expected their western studios to replicate the success of, say, Sony's recent games or even higher considering they likely spend even more on them than Sony does. Shadow of the Tomb Raider cost between $110-135 million to produce, apparently.
Sony gets a much larger cut from their games and can afford to subsidize them a bit for the sake of the larger platform. So SE games probably have to sell a lot better than Sony games just to match their financial performance.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think SE just expect them to make some profit .
When you look at there financials they were not making money for years .

Sony gets a much larger cut from their games and can afford to subsidize them a bit for the sake of the larger platform. So SE games probably have to sell a lot better than Sony games just to match their financial performance.

Plus ASP matter your game selling a few million but at $10 not as usefull as game selling less but at a higher ASP like $40

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

Absolutely. Square also can't bundle their games the way Sony can or use them to help boost their subscriptions. Add an even bigger budget and their expectations were always sky-high.

I think SE just expect them to make some profit .
When you look at there financials they were not making money for years .

Yeah, that's true too. David Gibson said that both Avengers and Guardians were big money losers and both underperformed significantly.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Yeah when you look at that way, kinda makes sense why Square wanted them to work with a popular IP and a more profitable game structure (GaaS). As a way to move the studio toward profitability, it seems like an okay idea on paper even though it didn't pan out.
I mean that does make sense except you end up in the same boat Microsoft is in now with 343i and that Square was in with CD. You have a studio that doesn't know how to do GAAS and you throw them to the wolves and expect them to pull magic out of their ass, and when they don't (in Square's case at least) you run them over with the worlds largest bus.