• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
An interesting article from a few days ago, based on a GDC poll. I always thought Steam offered a lot more than other places for their cut, but apparently a lot of devs don't think so (or aren't sure) ?

The organizers of the Game Developers Conference released the results of their annual State of the Game Industry survey today, showing that just 6% of nearly 4,000 respondents believe that Steam justifies the 30% cut it takes from developers. That's compared to 32% who said "No" when asked if it does enough to earn that share, and 27% who said "Probably not." 17% answered "Maybe," with another 17% in the "Not sure / don't know" category. (The study was conducted from November 27 to December 19. Shortly after the survey began, Valve reduced its revenue split on particularly successful games.)

The survey also identified some interesting dynamics about where developers' business was coming from. Of the developers who sold their games on Steam, 55% reported that Valve's storefront accounted for 75% or more of their sales. Developers on GOG, Discord, Humble, and Kartridge rarely reported those platforms contributing heavily to sales, with only single-digit percentages of developers reporting receiving more than half their revenue from any one of those stores. However, publisher-owned storefronts (36%), developer's direct sales sites (41%), and Itch.io (29%) more commonly accounted for 75% or more of their games' sales

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...evs-say-steam-earns-its-30-percent-cut-survey

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in another thread, but Valve not providing info on how the dev cut is used to fund stuff like Photon and other user experience/game compatibility features probably contributes to that lack of faith from devs.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
They don't think it's worth it, but more than half of them do 75% of their sales there... ok

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Why are these devs on Steam if they find the cut to be too high and not justified?
Why don't you leave Steam?
Why don't you sell your game on your website or elsewhere?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
This is why we need competitors like the Epic store, as much as the people here bitch and moan about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody ever asks if the console stores' 30% cut is worth it.

Or even worse, the Live Gold/PS+ fee where developers get 0 dollars while having to deal with any server costs (if their game has online features).

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
This is why we need competitors like the Epic store, as much as the people here bitch and moan about it.

Epic Games competition is to select the indies from top tier devs, once they have AAA games, they will be more strict.
The vast majority of these devs won't be accepted by Epic Games lol

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Why are these devs on Steam if they find the cut to be too high and not justified?
This is why:

The survey also identified some interesting dynamics about where developers' business was coming from. Of the developers who sold their games on Steam, 55% reported that Valve's storefront accounted for 75% or more of their sales. Developers on GOG, Discord, Humble, and Kartridge rarely reported those platforms contributing heavily to sales, with only single-digit percentages of developers reporting receiving more than half their revenue from any one of those stores. However, publisher-owned storefronts (36%), developer's direct sales sites (41%), and Itch.io (29%) more commonly accounted for 75% or more of their games' sales.

lol

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I mean, they could just not publish on steam if the feel it's so bad.
No one is forcing them.

If everyone does that then steam would probably have to lower the cut or something.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, why is valve the bad guy over the 30% fee when that's what everyone else charges?
A) the question wasn't if Steam did MORE than other stores, they may well say other stores don't do enough to deserve it either.
B) If you mean the console manufacturers, they do WAY more, they provide a captive audience and market the shit out of that audience. They take care of all of the process of actually turning someone into a customer. On the PC the audience isn't beholden to Steam, nad Valve does nothing to get a PC cheaply into a user's hands and get them into the ecosystem. They're not really comparable.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Generally in all manners of life, you want what you have for less or free and don't know how good you had it until it's gone.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
BREAKING NEWS!
"Majority of people think that they pay too much for service xyz"

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Some are leaving but the reality is they are a giant. It's like releasing games on a console and having them censored but they don't have much choice if that console sold much more than the others.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hope the Epic store is a mega success just so all the devs who feel cheated by steam (not microsoft, or sony, or apple, or nintendo, or the 3000 other market places that charge 30%) can all fuck off over there and we can stop hearing about how unjust steam is.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with some specifics of Steam. Do publishers sell copies/keys to Valve for $x and then Valve can sell them for whatever price $y they want (like a traditional retailer)?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm not questioning these devs who decide that Valves 30 percent isn't worth it. I'm sure they have their reasons.

But I don't understand why Valve is getting so much shit for this, while consoles are charging the same cut - or even more for retail copies?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I'm unfamiliar with some specifics of Steam. Do publishers sell copies/keys to Valve for $x and then Valve can sell them for whatever price $y they want (like a traditional retailer)?

No. You upload your build on Steam, add SteamAPIs if you want for free (CloudSaves, Workshop support, Streaming stuff etc.) and set the price yourself. For every copy sold you get 70% and Valve gets 30% for their services (Downloadservers all over the world, API, Linux-stuff, Userbase) etc.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Steam like the apple store, google play, console shops etc take 30% of the direct revenue.
So if you pay $10 for a game on any of these, the shop gets $3 and the dev/publusher gets $7.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Not at all. Devs pay Valve 100 dollars to sell their games on Steam. Valve gives the devs 70 percent of the revenue of all game sales on Steam, and doesn't charge for anything else.

Also, devs can generate game keys to sell their games on any other store. Devs get 100 percent of the revenue for games sold this way.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing is that this exact cut has been taken by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Google, and Apple for years - all of whom have done far less for their storefronts in terms of access, discoverability, and features than Valve - and there have been no mass complaints.

Then Epic shows up offering more money in exchange for a far worse storefront experience, and suddenly Valve is an evil, greed-addled tyrant...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think some of it might be due to the history of consoles and PC's.

Consoles games have always had royalties. A certain percent or flat amount payed to the console manufacturer. Publishers can't get away from that no matter if they go digital or physical. Whereas on PC there is no hardware manufacturer. There are no royalties. PC publishers aren't paying hardware manufacturers for their R&D or to help subsidize the hardware's price tag.

From a consumers point of view, Valve does a lot. So many things to make the user experience better. But from a developer, or publisher, point of view I could see why they think 30% is too much for what Valve gives them.

I think Valve will eventually lower their cut across the board.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I'm kind of over this bs TBH. If you are a dev that can't even be bothered to learn how Steam works for you, then I just don't care anymore. The comments from devs that go along with this survey are just absurd and full of misinformation.

Good luck is all I can say. I won't be following you to this mythical indie store utopia. If it even exists, it will be heavily curated and you are not getting in.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No. You upload your build on Steam, add SteamAPIs if you want for free (CloudSaves, Workshop support, Streaming stuff etc.) and set the price yourself. For every copy sold you get 70% and Valve gets 30% for their services (Downloadservers all over the world, API, Linux-stuff, Userbase) etc.
Steam like the apple store, google play, console shops etc take 30% of the direct revenue.
So if you pay $10 for a game on any of these, the shop gets $3 and the dev/publusher gets $7.
Not at all. Devs pay Valve 100 dollars to sell their games on Steam. Valve gives the devs 70 percent of the revenue of all game sales on Steam, and doesn't charge for anything else.

Also, devs can generate game keys to sell their games on any other store. Devs get 100 percent of the revenue for games sold this way.
Thanks.

Thats a pretty unfortunate set up for publishers then. Anytime you are paying a % instead of a flat dollar amount is going to make someone else rich at your expense. Their costs are fixed but yours are not, ouch.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
The interesting thing is that this exact cut has been taken by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Google, and Apple for years - all of whom have done far less for their storefronts in terms of access, discoverability, and features than Valve - and there have been no mass complaints.

Then Epic shows up offering more money in exchange for a far worse storefront experience, and suddenly Valve is an evil, greed-addled tyrant...
Yes. I would love for Sony to offer the same customer service that Valve has, but they are not on the same level.
Or that Windows Stores was as good as the steam client
but here we are

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Some of you guys keep tripping over your own arguments. Epic offers anticonsumer experience (for now). They obviously offer a pro dev experience. (LOL at the guy who mentioned Proton as a boon for devs. On the surface it would seem to be but Linux sku purchases are simply too small even if Proton cuts down the customer service calls and emails in half)

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Nobody ever asks if the console stores' 30% cut is worth it.

Or even worse, the Live Gold/PS+ fee where developers get 0 dollars while having to deal with any server costs (if their game has online features).

Pretty sure devs get $$$ for having their games on ps plus.

allso, this is about Steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Some of you guys keep tripping over your own arguments. Epic offers anticonsumer experience (for now). They obviously offer a pro dev experience. (LOL at the guy who mentioned Proton as a boon for devs. On the surface it would seem to be but Linux sku purchases are simply too small even if Proton cuts down the customer service calls and emails in half)

I mean they dont have to develop an extra Linux version if they planned to develop one.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but explain to me in the long-run how a deliberately anti-consumer experience can really be pro-dev? It's like having the nicest market stand in the world, where everyone would like to sell...and having no customers to sell to, because you built it in the middle of a desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.