• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a relatively small amount (~600) compared to the millions of people using the store to play Fortnite and other titles. I would hazard a guess that this may be credentials from other dumps that have been attempted against the Epic Store/launcher to see if they work there as well.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Is the Epic account needed for Fortnite the same one from the EGS? Because that's actually very worrisome if true.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Are they storing the actual password? Why do big companies keep doing that!?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a relatively small amount (~600) compared to the millions of people using the store to play Fortnite and other titles. I would hazard a guess that this may be credentials from other dumps that have been attempted against the Epic Store/launcher to see if they work there as well.

This is the most obvious explanation, it's just too small of a leak to be on Epic's side.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Plaintext passwords? Not even hashed?

They put more effort into trying to hide what information they were taking from Steam than on storing your passwords.

(Yeah, taking the small amount they are probably passwords from other leaks and people where using the same password for more than one device/game).

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like Epic has done anything wrong, but more like a previous dump has been used to access accounts on the Epic store. So if your Twitter account was compromised and you used the same combination to create an Epic account.

I think the title should be updated to be more accurate. A previous leak happened, and people are using that to target multiple websites including Epic's website.

Epic gonna Epic. Please change your passwords ASAP people.
Sizzling.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
There's an online service that let's you check your your leaked passwords for free (only one free check tho).

Some of my older passwords were there.

Make sure to use 2fa.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Either that or from a phishing site.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I've enabled 2FA when I kept getting those email spam about someone trying to get into my account in Asia and failing last year. No problems since.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many times I've gotten emails from Epic telling me that there has been multiple failed login attempts, this does not surprise me. Seems like there's high demand for those accounts.

Don't even care if someone steals my Epic account but enabled 2fa to stop the onslaught of emails.

Seems pretty obviously not a vulnerability on their end, it was seriously an email per day at one point... I don't even play Fortnite.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how many times I've gotten emails from Epic telling me that there has been multiple failed login attempts, this does not surprise me. Seems like there's high demand for those accounts.

Don't even care if someone steals my Epic account but enabled 2fa to stop the onslaught of emails.

Seems pretty obviously not a vulnerability on their end, it was seriously an email per day at one point... I don't even play Fortnite.

Yeah, months ago I used to get them every other day. I ended up just blocking the shit as I don't care for my account that has nothing on it.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good old epic security.

Had my credentials with them leaked in one of the previous breaches before I deleted my account.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth mentioning that yes, while it is likely a leak from elsewhere, a low number of published usernames and passwords doesn't mean anything. Plenty of hackers leak a small portion of their haul so legitamacy can be verified and they can get buyers for the complete list.