• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Lars von Trier has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 66.

Zentropa, the producer of all his films, confirmed the news today in a press release that had the blessing of the Danish film director.

It indicated that Von Trier will accordingly give very few interviews in connection with his latest project, the third season of 'Riget', which is set to premiere at the Venice Film Festival on August 31.

Around 12,000 people in Denmark suffer from Parkinson's. On a global level, between seven and ten million have it.
"Lars is in good spirits and is being treated for his symptoms – and given treatment so he can complete 'Riget Exodus'," the statement read.

"The illness means that Lars will only take part in interviews to a limited extent until the premiere later in the year."

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My dad has Parkinson's and was diagnosed around the same age. I feel horrible for the guy. It's an awful illness.

Swimble_87

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
As with the poster above, my dad also has Parkinson's and has progressed / deteriorated to the point of being in a care home with Parkinson's dementia only four years after diagnosis.

It's an awful awful disease - best wishes and fingers crossed for responsive support to any receiving this diagnosis, including the director in the OP.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
We need Ernst-Hugo to go to the rooftop and shout "Parkinson's javlar!" at the gods.

danskj%C3%A4vlar-danmark.gif

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
He has seemed like he was in bad health for a while, but still, very sorry to hear that. Even when I didn't love his work, it's always been at least interesting in some way.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Edit: Never mind. This wasn't the topic for it I suppose. I guess all I have to say is that Parkinson's sucks regardless of the context.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I am one of the carers of my father who was diagnosed 25 years ago. Good luck to Lars von Trier.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, man. I usually enjoy his work, regardless of how much of a POS he could be. Had no idea he was doing more Riget.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
That's terrible, I wish him the best with living with this disease. He's probably my favorite director (red flag, I know), so I can't help but wonder if this means the end for him film-wise?

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Like previous posters, his work is among my favorites despite my misgivings about the man himself. Still, not the kind of exit I wanted for him.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
One occasion, yes, by Bjork.
In case anyone is curious, here's a portion of Bjork's statement on Von Trier's sexual harassment of her, from the "controversy" subheading on the Dancer in the Dark Wikipedia page:

1 after each take the director ran up to me and wrapped his arms around me for a long time in front of all crew or alone and stroked me sometimes for minutes against my wishes

2 when after 2 months of this i said he had to stop the touching , he exploded and broke a chair in front of everyone on set . like someone who has always been allowed to fondle his actresses . then we all got sent home .

3 during the whole filming process there were constant awkward paralysing unwanted whispered sexual offers from him with graphic descriptions , sometimes with his wife standing next to us .

4 while filming in sweden , he threatened to climb from his room´s balcony over to mine in the middle of the night with a clear sexual intention , while his wife was in the room next door . i escaped to my friends room . this was what finally woke me up to the severity of all this and made me stand my ground

5 fabricated stories in the press about me being difficult by his producer . this matches beautifully the weinstein methods and bullying . i have never eaten a shirt . not sure that is even possible .

6 i didnt comply or agree on being sexually harassed . that was then portrayed as me being difficult . if being difficult is standing up to being treated like that , i´ll own it

And here's her manager's statement:

I have worked with Björk for over 30 years and have never made a single statement or interview regarding our work together. This time is different.

I have read the lies written by Lars and his producer Peter about Björk – and feel compelled to speak out and put the record straight. Over the last 30 years, the Dancer in the Dark project is the one and only time she has fallen out with a collaborator.

This was a result of the directors ongoing, disrespectful verbal and physical abuse which continued after both Björk and myself demanded that he stop behaving this way. Björk completed the film out of respect for the cast and everyone involved. I feel compelled to publicly speak out in fierce support of Björk in regards to her terrible experiences working with Lars Von Trier, and I back what she has said 110%.

Not to mention the fact that so many actresses have said that Von Trier treated them in sadistically cruel ways, I think it's reasonable to bring it up, even though Von Trier's disease is the main subject of the thread.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's maybe 15 years ago and he's been slowly deteriorating since then. Now he's in a care facility now, unable to talk well and walk at all. He's getting pretty close to the end… I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Sad way to go.