• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I went to bed before Album of the Year, but I'm very happy to see Golden Hour won. It's a great album that everyone should listen to. Kacey has evolved as an artist, and it's nice to see her getting recognition for it.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Grammys shouldn't even have a Rap category since they've proven they have no fucking idea how to judge the genre.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grammys shouldn't even have a Rap category since they've proven they have no fucking idea how to judge the genre.
Can't judge Rap, Dance, been told by friends into rock over many years they can't judge Rock or Metal, etc. etc.

The criteria seems to be, in order, the 1) most commercially successful thing nominated that 2) is good. So reduce the Rap album nominees to Drake, Post, Cardi, and from there, the one that's the best. If I'm right on the criteria order, at least it feels like Cardi B was the right choice in that framework?

Justice for Push, justice for every nominee besides Justice, etc.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kacey Musgraves was a legit songwriter before becoming an established artist on her own, I have no problem with that win for once

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Woke up to Kacey winning and, for once, I ain't even mad at this choice. It's not my favorite Kacey album, but it is definitely her best. Well deserved!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Can't judge Rap, Dance, been told by friends into rock over many years they can't judge Rock or Metal, etc. etc.

The criteria seems to be, in order, the 1) most commercially successful thing nominated that 2) is good. So reduce the Rap album nominees to Drake, Post, Cardi, and from there, the one that's the best. If I'm right on the criteria order, at least it feels like Cardi B was the right choice in that framework?

Justice for Push, justice for every nominee besides Justice, etc.
But even under those criteria, Astroworld would have been just as valid and was the better album by far. At this point, they need to make a separate categoryry for Pop-Rap and Hip-hop/Rap since they always make the wrong decision when a semi-decent popular Pop-Album comes out.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But even under those criteria, Astroworld would have been just as valid and was the better album by far. At this point, they need to make a separate categoryry for Pop-Rap and Hip-hop/Rap since they always make the wrong decision when a semi-decent popular Pop-Album comes out.
Best Hip-Hop Album of the Year and Best Hip-Hop, Hip-Hop Album of the Year. I'm okay with this.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

Ratings are up based off of early looks.

Correct. They are up ever so slightly compared to last year. It's kinda weird since it aired in January last year (and was viewed by a total of 19.8 million viewers) to avoid competition from the Winter Olympics. But the mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead was also on last night so that probably stole some viewers away.

https://tvline.com/2019/02/11/grammy-awards-ratings-2019-host-alicia-keys/
TV Line said:
CBS' three-and-a-three-quarter-hour broadcast of the 61st Grammy Awards on Sunday night scored a 12.8/22 in metered market ratings, up a half of a half of a tick from last year's early numbers.

Per the Nielsen fast nationals, the Alicia Keys-hosted kudosfest drew 18 million total viewers and a 5.0 demo rating, up from 2018's prelim numbers in total audience, though currently down 8 percent in the demo. Last year's James Corden-led show went on to report 19.8 million viewers (the Grammys' smallest audience since since 2009) and a 5.9 rating in the finals.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
It's a mainstream awards show. It's never going to be the be all end all. It's been dumb. These awards mean nothing to the people who actually know.
Sure fans will say this and it's true but to act like it doesn't have an effect on the psyche on artist's would be naive.
Grammy's shouldn't validate anyone's career but the fact of the matter is it does to an extent and it goes further than the performing artists but also all of the people behind the scenes who also put work into a project.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sure fans will say this and it's true but to act like it doesn't have an effect on the psyche on artist's would be naive.
Grammy's shouldn't validate anyone's career but the fact of the matter is it does to an extent and it goes further than the performing artists but also all of the people behind the scenes who also put work into a project.

The large majority of rock bands and electronic acts that I listen to have and never will receive a single radio song. Fuck the Grammys and the oscars. You don't even know the judging criteria nor who is part of the panels. Who cares?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The large majority of rock bands and electronic acts that I listen to have and never will receive a single radio song. Fuck the Grammys and the oscars. You don't even know the judging criteria nor who is part of the panels. Who cares?
... I just told you who cares. One of my producer friends was crushed that his production didn't make it onto Cardi B's album since it's always been a dream of his to win a Grammy. These awards do matter to people regardless of what we fans think.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Jimmy Carter is trending and I was like OH NO, but then the news was just that he's now a 3-time Grammy winner for Spoken Word albums.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
... I just told you who cares. One of my producer friends was crushed that his production didn't make it onto Cardi B's album since it's always been a dream of his to win a Grammy. These awards do matter to people regardless of what we fans think.

Well yea it probably matters to people behind the scenes I'm sure.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ratings are up based off of early looks.

Camila's ImpacT.

OHe9V9cJj_46XehGCnIt-Orifo5v2CJwut797wiZld057iYFvg92TVEcGZG62CV3F0NVmVRI7NdZNEnG6Q=pf-w600-h300

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings. Looks like the show was about even with last year:

Deadline said:
The final numbers for the 61st annual Grammy Awards are in, and they include an all-time demo low for music's biggest night. The live CBS show drew a 5.6 rating in the adult 18-49 demographic, eclipsing last year's demo low.

As for viewership, Sunday's Grammys is pretty much even with last year's show, pulling in 19.9 million total viewers, compared with 2018's 19.8M.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Jimmy Carter is trending and I was like OH NO, but then the news was just that he's now a 3-time Grammy winner for Spoken Word albums.
It still makes me laugh that President Carter, President Obama, President Clinton, and Hillary Clinton all are Grammy winners and Katy Perry still has nothing lol.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Approachable doesn't necessarily mean better. She was snubbed hardcore with Arch and Electric, but I felt this one was a few steps down. Which is a shame, because MAke Me Feel is probably my favorite song/video from her. Rest of the album range from good to skippable.

I do think she won though either way this year. She made leaps in the last two years for her brand.

I still need to give Kacey a listen
I don't agree — Dirty Computer was incredible. If anyone should have upset her, it should have been H.E.R.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Very solid show this year. I was pulling for Janelle with AOTY but, as someone who truly doesn't like country music, Golden Hour is a great album.

I do think the Grammys need to revisit how their categories are set up, how the voting works, etc. More than any other major award show. But this was a good show.