• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Its safe to say that PlayStation won this generation in terms of sales but I'm excited to see how Xbox One X will change the landscape of console gaming during the next few years.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
" The company predicts to sell 19 million PS4 units before March 31st, 2017".

Typo in article too I think.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
at ~84M sold being the PS3's cap and them expecting to crush that number by holiday 2018 as well as an estimated >20M consoles a year, they've got to be aiming for the PS1's 100M no? They haven't even cut the price under $200 yet!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
OP I think you meant PS3 userbase.

But yea the fact that they are up YoY this year month after month despite how late in the lifecycle the platform is incredibly impressive and with the slate of titles currently set to release next year I think it'll be another really strong one for their HW sales.

DKHF

Oct 28, 2017
Huge numbers, next years will continue to be strong for PS4 will all the games coming.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 released in Nov 2013. Expected to sell 79 million by end of 2018.

PS3 released in 2005 and took close to 8-9 years to reach that number. Amazing feat.

Anyone has idea how it is tracking next to PS1 and PS2.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
at ~84M sold being the PS3's cap and them expecting to crush that number by holiday 2018 as well as an estimated >20M consoles a year, they've got to be aiming for the PS1's 100M no? They haven't even cut the price under $200 yet!
From Kohls' leaked Black Friday add it seems that the $199 price point will be their Black Friday special this year.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Really impressive that they're still increasing in YOY sales at this point in time. 100 milllion is a definite lock for PS4, in my opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible - 100 million shouldn't be an issue at all now. I wonder when they will start dropping the price too. It feels like they haven't dropped the price for a couple of years.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Its safe to say that PlayStation won this generation in terms of sales but I'm excited to see how Xbox One X will change the landscape of console gaming during the next few years.

I don't think it's going to do anything that the Pro didn't do, it's an upgraded XBX. Unless it leads to MS using the XB1X as a baseline for the next generation which, while interesting, will have to go up against the PS5 that won't be shackled to the Pro. Sony first party is already top flight from a presentation standpoint, can you imagine the gulf if they have the full power of a generational leap, complete with a capable CPU? MS should weigh that long and hard because it can turn into an all-out blowout from the gate.

On topic: Hot damn! It's well deserved, Sony has done a remarkable job this generation.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wowzers, so impressive. Sony deserves the success, they did everything right this tîme around.

Oct 28, 2017
Not with that price they won't. Lower it to $399 then it might change the landscape a little bit.

I agree with you that the price is too steep but I should've been more clear by saying how the power of the Xbox One X will change the current console gaming landscape since future multiplatform titles will look considerably better on it compared to the PS4 Pro.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Some amazing numbers really. Glad this success is also pushing them for more new IPs and such. Good stuff all around

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I see a "temporary" $50 price drop at PSX that ends up being the standard price for both the base and pro. Maybe another drop down to $200 a year later.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
As long as they've got the best Japanese exclusives they've got me in their ecosystem.

Congrats to Sony, I hope the industry remains healthy enough to sustain them and developers for many more years to come.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you that the price is too steep but I should've been more clear by saying how the power of the Xbox One X will change the current console gaming landscape since future multiplatform titles will look considerably better on it compared to the PS4 Pro.
I mean, they will look better no doubt but not enough to "change the landscape of console gaming"

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
March 2018 estimate at 79 million. Holy cow. That's just a little over 4 years after the console launched.

Last generation we were seeing those numbers at the 6 year mark.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The real question: how can sony do it again with ps5? They set the bar so high this gen.

Full backward compatibility with ps4 must now be a given.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Hey anyone remember someone arguing (on that other forum) that Sony wouldn't be able to ship 70 million by the end of this year? Good times.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They dont even look considerably better from pr4 to pro.
Youre way overestimating the powergap here. Diminishing returns and all that.
Nothing is changing significantly until we get a better line of cpu's into these machines.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
very impressive and highly deserved too. And they still have so many juggernaut games coming! what a ride