• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at some of the ratios thrown around in this thread would I be amiss to speculate that currently the XBO (all variants) sells as well as the PS4Pro (as a single SKU)

That seems not a great comparison knowing how niche the PS4Pro is in its marketing and appeal.

ps3ud0 8)

if the figures add up.....thats fucking brutal

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at some of the ratios thrown around in this thread would I be amiss to speculate that currently the XBO (all variants) sells as well as the PS4Pro (as a single SKU)

That seems not a great comparison knowing how niche the PS4Pro is in its marketing and appeal.

ps3ud0 8)
Seems hard to believe pro would be selling as much as all Xbox ones.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

ps3ud0 8)

If it isn't too much trouble, could you show us which posts have the ratios?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if the figures add up.....thats fucking brutal
I only base it on the speculation that XBO sold around 1 million last quarter which is considered 1:4 compared to the PS4 in the same quarter (sold 4.2million IIRC).

And if what Sony said still holds true that the PS4Pro makes up 1 in 4 PS4 sales then it seems a reasonable deduction but perhaps not on the latest data?

EDIT:
Seems hard to believe pro would be selling as much as all Xbox ones.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you show us which posts have the ratios?
My bad it was 1 PS4Pros to 5 PS4s - sorry. Still not a great comparison

ps3ud0 8)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but sony is a business...and that would jack the price of Pro up and = less sales and revenue...at the end of the day, people are not going to abandon the PS ecosystem over it. Smart business,.

Business wise yes. But I m a fan of games and Playstation games. So seeing them on my 4k tv with higher texture assets would have been welcomed and if x sells better than pro maybe Sony realises that the crowd that goes for the premium version of console is willing to pay a bit more. So when ps5 pro time comes they might give better specs at a bit higher price. (keep in mind that my theory is that crowd that buys pro version will pay 50 more for better specs , like $449)

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
To the King

source.gif

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got a link?

I've never made lifetime predictions for PS4 I don't think.

I only ever project 5 years out.

http://gamrconnect./thread.php?id=208434

I looked at your post but the image has now been removed so it could have been 5 years. I'm looking at your prediction is in the table with the compilation of all predictions.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
http://gamrconnect./thread.php?id=208434

I looked at your post but the image has now been removed so it could have been 5 years. I'm looking at your prediction is in the table with the compilation of all predictions.

Indeed. You can see a similar post in this thread- http://www./forum/showpost.php?p=170203685&postcount=21

Images are gone (I use Imgur now) but you'll see the text make note that it was a forecast until 2019.

If you add up the numbers in that Chartz table you get the 150m by end of 2019 thing. But of course that was before Switch or Pro/X was a thing.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Indeed. You can see a similar post in this thread- http://www./forum/showpost.php?p=170203685&postcount=21

Images are gone (I use Imgur now) but you'll see the text make note that it was a forecast until 2019.

If you add up the numbers in that Chartz table you get the 150m by end of 2019 thing. But of course that was before Switch or Pro/X was a thing.

Got it. Would you say 100M PS4s by the end of 2019 is a good bet at the moment?

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Fairy tales? You dont think Dreams is not risky or last guardian in todays market? I like how you cherry pick one game ignore the rest. LOL sure bud, you are the only one living a fairy tale.
How is it different from other publishers? How is it different even from other console platform holders? You acting like Nintendo and Microsoft didn't greenlit risky projects and making only games appealed to modern market. Splatoon and Mario + Rabbids isn't risky? Sea of Thieves isn't risky? While I'm cherry picking games, some people here cherry picking overall and acting like sony is doing something special, while in reality they don't. And again, this discussion isn't about games, it's about console shipments, i don't know who we managed to move on this topic, exclusive games, risky or not, are not the only factor that drives console success.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
How is it different from other publishers? How is it different even from other console platform holders? You acting like Nintendo and Microsoft didn't greenlit risky projects and making only games appealed to modern market. Splatoon and Mario + Rabbids isn't risky? Sea of Thieves isn't risky? While I'm cherry picking games, some people here cherry picking overall and acting like sony is doing something special, while in reality they don't. And again, this discussion isn't about games, it's about console shipments, i don't know who we managed to move on this topic, exclusive games, risky or not, are not the only factor that drives console success.

Sony is absolutely taking more commercial risks with software development than MS or Nintendo. That's not even debateable.

MS has almost entirely relegated their first party development efforts to putting out franchise games, loading them with microtransactions and MP to chase the GaaS mega-bucks.

Nintendo continues to put out games in proven multi-million selling franchises with very few new IP as yet. The mere fact that you cite Mario as a risky game makes nme question whether you even understand what commercial risk in the games industry context even means.

Sony continues to produce high, quality, high production value, often single-player only, MT-lite games. This is entirely the opposite of what everyone else in the industry is doing. These games, i.e. single-player only, lite on MTs, are some of the most riskiest commercial ventures a games publisher can launch; with according to a recent thread by NPD, the chances of these types of games being a commercial success being much lower than MP-orientated, GaaS games.

If you're looking at the industry today and claiming that Sony isn't taking more commercial risks than practically any other publisher then you're either not paying attention and so speaking out of ignorance, or you're being deliberately disingenuous for whatever reason.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Sony continues to produce high, quality, high production value, often single-player only, MT-lite games. This is entirely the opposite of what everyone else in the industry is doing. These games, i.e. single-player only, lite on MTs, are some of the most riskiest commercial ventures a games publisher can launch; with according to a recent thread by NPD, the chances of these types of games being a commercial success being much lower than MP-orientated, GaaS games.
They can take these risks because they want to diversify their library [attract a bit of every player type, and then their friends will come naturally], they earn 100% from their own games [Heavy Rained earned them over $130M with just a bit over 2M sales], and they have many teams that can produce games quickly. Plus, they throw large ammount of money on 2nd party indie games. And since they often got rewarded by the public for allowing teams to break from their old IPs [I still mourn the failure of Order1886], Sony's output is showing no sings of becoming stale.

I hope that entire batch of next AAA SP games from them will found success [GoW, Detroit, Spiderman, Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and inevitable Horizon sequel].

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Sony is absolutely taking more commercial risks with software development than MS or Nintendo. That's not even debateable.

MS has almost entirely relegated their first party development efforts to putting out franchise games, loading them with microtransactions and MP to chase the GaaS mega-bucks.

Nintendo continues to put out games in proven multi-million selling franchises with very few new IP as yet. The mere fact that you cite Mario as a risky game makes nme question whether you even understand what commercial risk in the games industry context even means.

If you're looking at the industry today and claiming that Sony isn't taking more commercial risks than practically any other publisher then you're either not paying attention and so speaking out of ignorance, or you're being deliberately disingenuous for whatever reason.
I see that you love singleplayer games very much, but telling that GaaS game are not risky and easily bring big bucks is wrong ("absolutely" wrong by your metrics). There is a high chance that Sea of Thieves would not become a smashing hit, there is a lot examples of other GaaS games that was a commercial failures. Telling that new IPs are not risky only because they're online and GaaS is ignorance from your side, expecting that sony will stay out of GaaS train is ridiculous either. Not to mention that there is still major publishers like Bethesda who's keeps making AAA singleplayer games (yet), so acting like sony is saviors of gaming industry and the only one who is taking risks is very far from true.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Please refrain from creating "console war" posts. If you have a criticism or point to make, please be polite and civil to other users. Additionally, if a user was warned for a previous post, it's probably not the best judgement to quote that users post 8 pages later and dredge the whole thing back up. Stick to the threads topic, thank you!

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
on further reading, it does seems that Sony is finally back

It just post its best ever annual profit EVER.....besting its 1998 year record.

https://in.reuters.com/article/sony...profit-sealing-overhaul-success-idINKBN1D00JE

but then what do you know...people will still say Sony is a 'money losing corporation' as a whole by tomorrow because they never read financial reports.

Here's hoping they can sort out their mobile and movie divisions.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Great news hope it hits 100 million, all 3 console companies doing well means better games for gamers hopefully

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony hit their target and ship a cumulative total of 79 million by March 2018, I wonder if they could be targeting 100 million shipped by March 2019 (just coming up short of the PS2's best year).

I'm also starting to wonder if there is potential here for the PS4 to reach the almighty heights of the PS2 and hit 140-150 million at the end of the day. I think this is possible if PS5 launches in 2020, and if we see a super-slim PS4 at a mass market price with legs like the PS2.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Sony hit their target and ship a cumulative total of 79 million by March 2018, I wonder if they could be targeting 100 million by March 2019.

I'm starting to wonder if there is potential here for the PS4 to reach the almighty heights of the PS2 and hit 140-150 million at the end of the day. I think this is possible if PS5 launches in 2020, and if we see a super-slim PS4 at a mass market price with legs like the PS2.

130M my bet.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
They can take these risks because they want to diversify their library [attract a bit of every player type, and then their friends will come naturally], they earn 100% from their own games [Heavy Rained earned them over $130M with just a bit over 2M sales], and they have many teams that can produce games quickly.

Sometimes I feel Sony's following the "give away the lamp, sell the oil" principle with regard to their 1st party line-up, as in the whole purpose of producing all those titles - the commercially succesful ones and the likes of Knack 2 or LBP3 - is just to use them as main differentiators towards their platform competitors, making PS4 the best platform to play all kind of games, indeed. Their main competitor decided to use power as main differentiator from now on and I am really curious how that's gonna turn out (although I have a clear idea about that).

But of course you still need a PS+ subscription to play games like Destiny or GTA Online. And Sony gets platform royalties and a share for each DLC bought via their PSN. This is where Sony makes all that money right now, and all their 1st party games contribute to that success indirectly.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It's quite strange to me that Sony did not promote Dreams or Wild [their most experimental titles with higher budgets] at PGW. Currently their promotion is firmly set on many large AAA SP games with few indies and VR titles.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite strange to me that Sony did not promote Dreams or Wild [their most experimental titles with higher budgets] at PGW. Currently their promotion is firmly set on many large AAA SP games with few indies and VR titles.

Sony has 3-5 times as many keynotes compared to their competitors; the games get distributed between those. They have so many games that they could not have shown an 19 dollar indie title like Cuphead 4 years in a row, even if they wanted to.

They will show Dreams

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Might be a shift of priorities. Showing the AAA games just before the holiday season, and then making PSX the smaller game showcase with the likes of Dreams and WiLD.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Oh, really? Very interesting, i didn't noticed any warnings before you told me, maybe something is broken with warnings systems. And please, stop telling me fairy tales about "risky" games, Days Gone are sure very risky and unexpected IP, of course. But let's keep it civil shall we (even though you keep saying some rude words towards me only because i have different opinion), i don't want to risk my account because of this silly and pointless debate, it's obvious we're not going to change our opinions on this matter.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07...ke-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/
Yoshida said:
It's a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That's the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because most pubs don't greenlight risky games...no one said there are no risky games....pretty easy to understand..Sony does it more often then almost any other pubs. Name a risk EA has taken in years? Yo are cherry picking and avoiding all context...

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony hit their target and ship a cumulative total of 79 million by March 2018, I wonder if they could be targeting 100 million shipped by March 2019 (just coming up short of the PS2's best year).

I'm also starting to wonder if there is potential here for the PS4 to reach the almighty heights of the PS2 and hit 140-150 million at the end of the day. I think this is possible if PS5 launches in 2020, and if we see a super-slim PS4 at a mass market price with legs like the PS2.

I reckon PS5 will have full PS4 BC and hence cut its legs off a lot.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I was thinking a bit more about these numbers...

If Sony can have a similar sales next year (2018) then I believe PS4 will be the second console to ever be way ahead 100 million units sold... perhaps it can reach something like 120 million in 2020 or even more.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when PS4 reaches 80 million, that will be 5th out of 6 Sony's consoles which sold over 80 million.

When PS4 reaches 100 million, that will be 3rd out of 4 Sony's home consoles which sold over 100 million.

btw PlayStation consoles total is close to 500 million. You think Sony would announce such a feet? Nintendo didn't.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon PS5 will have full PS4 BC and hence cut its legs off a lot.

One way or the other, even the official announcement of PS5 will affect PS4 sales right away. If Sony sticks to their usual habits PS4 will still be sold once PS5 arrives. It will then depent on PS5's price and BC capability how much PS4 sales crater in the process.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Great numbers, if you add switch, gaming seems to be healthy.

My fears are how do they plan to make transition to PS5, and try to keep this momentum. I guess backwards compatibility is something that they must be working on to help their customers stick with psn ,that is their golden mine right now.
Hope they don't screw it up

Oct 31, 2017
Just going to post in both threads:

Lets start things off with gaming, the one that really matters. First thing to mention is that unit sales increase to 4.2m this quarter, that is a YoY increase as we can see below:

JLbAfz7.png

That is a 10% YoY increase in units shipped, and this can be seen in the hardware revenue increase below as well

The other area where Sony performed very strongly was network services, a key driver of revenue and income for Sony:

soFXXv6.png

We can see here that YoY revenues from network services have increase by a massive 52% and in the earnings call they revealed that there are now 26.4m PS+ subscribers. Put it this way, Sony made more revenue from network services than they did from their hardware and packaged software business combined and more this quarter than they did in October-December of 2016 (which includes holiday sales). It really is the main driver of growth for PlayStation.

They also increased the unit sales forecast from 18m to 19m, so over the next two quarters they expect to ship at least 11.5m units. That probably splits as 8.5m for Q3 and 3m for Q4.

Moving onto the wider company:

Pictures - poor, but huge investment in their TV/Media Networks library which they expect to pay off in the next couple of years. Most people still don't know that Breaking Bad, The Crown and the new Philip K Dick series are SPE productions, but they make good money with their current model. It will be interesting to see if Sony decides one day to amalgamate all of their TV content into one or two premium cable channels like HBO and launch their own streaming service like Disney. I'm on the no side because their movie library is too weak, but their TV library is so strong they may overcome it and just go for it.

Music - solid, nothing to report really.

Financial services - solid as always.

Semi-conductors - undergoing a second boom because of dual camera setups on smartphones and it looks like Sony are jumping into the automotive sensor market which is going to be absolutely massive and probably a better bet for them than Li-ion battery production. The new 3D sense IR camera on the Xperia phones are a very interesting concept and could work well with VR, I expect it to take off, especially now that Apple are using a lesser version of it for Face ID on the iPhone X.

Cameras - solid, nothing to really say here. They are probably the global number one for CSCs and premium compacts, in the latter I think the RX series is pretty much undisputed in terms of sales volume. As the market moves from mirrored to mirrorless I think Sony are going to benefit even more. I'll use a wedding I went to as an example of why I think they will win in the end - I know the photographer, he is one of the top guys in London for wedding (and other) photography, my sister used him for her wedding when he was much cheaper. He has a crew of 4 and currently uses an all Canon setup, there were also videographers at the same wedding who had an all Sony setup. They got chatting and the main photographer borrowed one of the A7 series cameras that were being used to film with and he was instantly converted. I chatted to him afterwards and he's now in the process of shifting his whole setup from Canon to Sony. Just a straw in the wind, but I've seen it happen elsewhere. It bodes very well for Sony that they have invested in mirrorless technology because the market is moving in their direction.

Mobiles - shit, but in the context of other companies, merely mediocre. I understand the motivation of staying in this market for Sony because the money lost isn't exactly earth shattering, but at the same time they can and should be doing better. Rumours are that they are going to have a slim bezel phone for next year and possibly even some kind of OLED screen. There are so many things wrong with that division that it needs its own thead.

Overall, Sony are going great guns we can see from the division level forecast here:

WOO6NEq.png

They have increased their operating profit forecast from ¥500bn to ¥630bn, and now have a net profit forecast of ¥380bn. If they manage to meet or exceed that it will be the best year that I've ever seen from Sony. It does now feel that Kaz has got the company in a good position and they seem very well placed going forwards as well.

I'm of the opinion Sony should sell off SPE and increase R&D into network and gaming segments.

Sony just started selling Aibos again in Japan.....for $1700 and a $30/month fee. Arrogant Sony is back baby!

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Simply amazing. I really do wonder how long it will take to do that last 30 million.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm of the opinion Sony should sell off SPE and increase R&D into network and gaming segments.

Sony Pictures Television is a part of that group and does really well. If they got a few more hits on their hands they could end up with channels or a streaming service.

Columbia etc need to pick up bigger properties and develop them. Their output is also minuscule compared to Universal and Warner. Even smaller companies like Lionsgate got larger and ate into Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
So Sony is saying is that they shipped 67.5 million PS4's by September 30th, 2017 and project a total of 79 million shipped by March 31st, 2018, which means they plan on shipping 11.5 million over the next 6 months. This is a crazy number when considering the Jan-March months in 2018. Shipping that much "PS4" in a 6 month period usually only happens when there is something new that has been released.

For example Nintendo is planning on shipping 9.1 million Switch from Oct 1st to March 31st and that is a brand new console. Well played Sony...