• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
68.8 per cent of these players stated they had purchased in-game content for Fortnite, with most of that spending (58.9 per cent) going on outfits or characters. 18.06 per cent had bought gliders, 13.52 per cent had picked up new harvesting tools, while 9.52 per cent had been shopping for emotes or dance moves.

Across that 68.8 per cent of spending players, the average amount of money invested in Fortnite over the past year was $84.67

However, one in five of these spenders were reportedly unaware that purchasing in-game content did not give them any advantage in the arena. This is despite the warning at the bottom of the store screen

Furthermore, more than a third (36.78 per cent) of these players revealed that Fortnite is the first video game they've spent money on.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ught-in-game-purchases-average-spend-is-usd85

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people were less stupid.

Edit: Please disregard. I have clearly misjudged the way MTX is implemented in this game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised by the low percentage for emotes, imo they're the main appeal
Most skins are kinda trash, and at 12/20 bucks a pop, that means people bought like 5 of them while you can only use one ? Geez

I spent 15€ and won't spend more. Got this season's battle pass, and with the V-bucks you earn I'll fund the next one, etc. Extra v-bucks I'll spend on emotes probably.

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
We can criticize all we want, but when I was 11 I probably spent way more on Pokemon merch.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Surely the sample group surveyed here isn't representative of the whole Fortnite audience? I totally believe a large percentage of players have spent money on Fortnite, but more than 2/3rds?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I see ERA is going down the same boring path of shitposting about other people's spending habits. Oh they spent money on microtransactions, they must be STUPID! Disgusting behavior imo.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
May be worth pointing out the survey was aimed at people who play lots of the game, 6-10 hours a week.

They're far more likely to be invested in the game financially after all.

However, that 20% of people who paid money expecting an advantage is worrying.

Short of a big red *STOP* sign saying "Look, this shit looks nice but won't help you in the slightest" I don't know how to tackle this.

Again, this is a survey of regular players, youdy have thought they knew the systems enough to know that cosmetic purchases are cosmetic.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Holy SHIT. 85$??? I have no words at that average, and how many buy stuff too.

Oh well, reap what you sow. $60 games half assed overpriced DLC and tons of lootboxes, you'd be stupid not to at this point.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how anybody can be surprised at this.

Think about it: If cosmetics and microtransactions weren't super popular and profitable for companies, they wouldn't be everywhere for as many years as they have been now.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is good news. It's a workable model for GaaS. Don't see anything wrong here. Happy for Epic and the people who have spent money on a game they love.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
Man, I absolutely hate when people spend money on harmless things that they enjoy.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Holy SHIT. 85$??? I have no words at that average, and how many buy stuff too.

Oh well, reap what you sow. $60 games half assed overpriced DLC and tons of lootboxes, you'd be stupid not to at this point.
Think of it this way, people who spend around or over the amount of avarage price of a game are also very likely to put in ungodly amount of hours into the game. There are a bunch of people who mainly only play Fortnite and it's not that insane amount of money when spread throughout longer period of time.

Of course there are also whales that spend like, ridicilous amounts.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
69% NICE

A lot of the Fortnite skins look amazing. TBH me and the wife also buy the occasional outfit from FFXIV's Mog Station.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The study was carried out by LendEDU and surveyed 1,000 people who frequently play Fornite, most typically dedicating six to ten hours per week to Epic Games' popular survival title."

This not a representative sample of the player base.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering $60 is just the starting point in lots of games now, people spending in that ballpark purely on microtransactions in a game with no upfront cost isn't exactly shocking to me.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Disgusting! They're proving that money can be made on direct purchase cosmetic only microtransactions!!!

I want paid map packs! I want overpowered loot box weapons! Where is my RNG!? Where are my stat boosts!?!

Video games are ruuuinnneeendddd!!!

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I see ERA is going down the same boring path of shitposting about other people's spending habits. Oh they spent money on microtransactions, they must be STUPID! Disgusting behavior imo.
Spending money on MTX expecting an advantage that the game tells you will not happen is pretty stupid. Either people aren't reading, they don't understand how the game works, or are expecting secret benefits for paying money.

All 3 are of course problematic.

The rest? Meh I spent enough on Warframe, which *is* P2W and I regret nothing!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Epic's been doin' right with their monetization here so it's all fine and dandy, but I see the curmudgeon brigade is already out and about.

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
First I was like 85 bucks is a lot. But the fact that you can play with your friends cross platform for free and everything is just cosmetics....that's just everyone winning basically. Plus we finally made it out of the moba clone wars.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, we have people defending MTX in here. Greedy publishers have definitely won.

Edit: Please disregard. I have clearly misjudged the way MTX is implemented in this game.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
A third of the people who spent money on Fortnite in this survey had never spent money on a video game before? Like any video game?? That seems wild to me. They were either completely non gamers before Fortnite or play exclusively free to play games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And yet people still complain about AAA with high production value being 60$ and having MT...

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think it shows how well Epic have judged it.

I've bought the Battle Pass, mainly for my son, and you can earn enough to pay for the next one just by playing it enough.

I don't mind dropping a few quid here and there to support them, especially when nobody can pay for a competitive advantage. Given that each pass lasts 3 months (?) I think that around £10 every quarter is peanuts to pay for a game that he's spent so much time on. Hell I even play it myself fairly regularly.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, we have people defending MTX in here. Greedy publishers have definitely won.
Defending MTX? You essentially just called people stupid for spending money on a free to play game that they enjoy. Go hate on the big publishers, that actually nickel dime you with DLCs and loot boxes on top of retail price.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is free to play, has cosmetic DLC only, has season passes that pay for themselves (you can earn enough through the in-game rewards to buy the next pass), is well-supported, and doesn't have gambling elements (i.e. you pay for the skin you want).

I literally cannot fathom why the hell someone would hate this game or begrudge players who spend to support the developers because their business model is about as harmless as it can get.