• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Any time Kratos told Atreus a story while riding the boat in God of War.

It's not interactive, but I also really liked the scene with Noctis and Prompto talking on the roof of the motel in FFXV.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
]
Also Drake and Elena talking after there arguement, and Elena realizing truly how much he can't live without all this adventure and love of history

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhEjWhEpgdU

From the same game, I'd also put in Nate and Sam's brotherly moments in Libertalia (all the optional dialogue, the sword fight). Nice quiet moments inbetween all the action. interactive in the sense that you do get to choose what they're talking about.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
From the same game, I'd also put in Nate and Sam's brotherly moments in Libertalia (all the optional dialogue, the sword fight). Nice quiet moments inbetween all the action. interactive in the sense that you do get to choose what they're talking about.
From the same game, when you meet Sam and are filling him in with your previous adventures (games 1-3), I thought it was a nice moment of fan service. You get a prompt to choose what to tell Sam in and it was almost like a bit of nostalgia, which fit given in-game you are reminiscing on Nathan's history. And they're just talking on a bench by the docks. Plus the whole flashback sequence from Sam's perspective.

View: https://youtu.be/eHJc6i65DD0?t=1

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
April Ryan chatting with her landlady in The Longest Journey always stuck with me .

It's right at the start of the game and one of the conversation trees goes down the path of the landlady talking about meeting and falling in love with her female partner. It was really heartfelt & charming.

Thing is TLJ came out in '99 and games just weren't exploring sexuality in the gay community. Let alone handling it with a sense of complete non-judgement normality.

It felt so refreshing to see this topic mentioned casually and without a single needle scratch. Just a rando facet of everyday life.

I'll never forget it.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Oh also I'll add, virtually any conversation between shepard and his companions in mass effect 2 and 3, and any convo between the main characters in Kotor 1&2

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
April Ryan chatting with her landlady in The Longest Journey always stuck with me .

It's right at the start of the game and one of the conversation trees goes down the path of the landlady talking about meeting and falling in love with her female partner. It was really heartfelt & charming.

Thing is TLJ came out in '99 and games just weren't exploring sexuality in the gay community. Let alone handling it with a sense of complete non-judgement normality.

It felt so refreshing to see this topic mentioned casually and without a single needle scratch. Just a rando facet of everyday life.

I'll never forget it.
Dreamfall has some good stuff in a similar respect. Zoe (the main character) has some matter of fact comments about sex that you simply don't hear in most big videogames, especially from a female character.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
deumob8eo6ljsjsyftac.jpg

Robo, waxing poetic about life and a souls' place in the scheme of things, is still top-tier in 2023.

https://kotaku.com/chrono-trigger-s-campfire-scene-is-a-meditation-on-frie-1820571536

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Link and Saria in OoT. There was something beautiful and haunting about their exchanges as the game progressed.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The introduction to Old World Blues

Might be memorable in a good or bad way, depending on how much you tolerate dialogue. And quirky dialogue. And lots of dialogue.

Feb 16, 2022
Basically Disco Elysium: the whole game. But that feels like cheating. A particularly memorable one was the first night's post-work conversation between your character and Lt. Kim Kitsuragi.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
There's one scene in early Persona 4 where Dojima and Adachi are talking about the murder cases which always stuck with me for some reason

I think the music had a factor in it

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Too many scenes with Chloe and Rachel in Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Also for Max and Chloe in Life is Strange.

Shit, the whole franchise thrives on moments of two people interacting and playing off each other.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Too many scenes with Chloe and Rachel in Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Also for Max and Chloe in Life is Strange.

Shit, the whole franchise thrives on moments of two people interacting and playing off each other.

Yes. Especially the play with Rachel and Chloe in BtS is fantastic. Even though they are talking in front of an audience, it is such an intimate moment where both of them bond.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the ride with Rains Fall in Red Dead 2. It was a beautiful character moment even though it wasn't necessarily a major story turning point.

View: https://youtu.be/UexsHgtsC_8?t=263

When Rains Fall says "I think you're being hard on yourself," I got a lil weepy, not afraid to admit... Such a simple sentiment but the first time anyone ever said it out loud to Arthur.

octopusfriend

Apr 20, 2019
Its probably cheating, but in Oxenfree a large part of the game is just conversations between you and others that continue in "real time" - at any point you can interject a variety of responses into the conversation, or alternatively say nothing and let that part of the conversation continue without you, and you'd get new options to interject moments later with depending on on how it flows and how the others continued. It was definitely memorable, and knowing when to respond (and what!) and when to keep your mouth shut as a pseudo-QTE was a unique experience.

softie

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is the most memorable sequence for me in Uncharted 4. Not only because of the talking but because it lets it all sink in with the simple but beautiful music theme, driving through an awesome jungle in silence and having a brief pause to reflect it all. It's simple but profound and somehow it overshadows all the other elements of the game for me.

m.youtube.com

Uncharted 4 Walkthrough - Chapter 17: For Better or Worse (2/2)

** WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD **IGN guides you through part two of Chapter 17 in Uncharted 4: For Better or Worse.For treasure locations, puzzle solutions and m...

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Its probably cheating, but in Oxenfree a large part of the game is just conversations between you and others that continue in "real time" - at any point you can interject a variety of responses into the conversation, or alternatively say nothing and let that part of the conversation continue without you, and you'd get new options to interject moments later with depending on on how it flows and how the others continued. It was definitely memorable, and knowing when to respond (and what!) and when to keep your mouth shut as a pseudo-QTE was a unique experience.
If only you didn't have to constantly interrupt people to get the most out of it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Will and Kara stuck on a raft in Illusion of Gaia (1993):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTVjC7Rrm0

This is what came to my mind when I saw the title. This was the first video game story that grabbed me, and scenes like this played a part - I think that because the writer was a novelist rather than coming from the video game field, she had no strong idea of what sort of scenes you'd need to create gameplay and ended up writing a bunch where nothing really happens.