• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will a Sunleashed remaster come this year?

• Yes

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 84 28.0%
  • Eventually, but not this year

Votes: 80 26.7%
  • Never

Votes: 104 34.7%

• Total voters

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
2023 is the 15th anniversary. Day one if all DLC is packed in, Generations controls, FPS boost and reduced loading times. I think most would be sold on "Sunleashed except it doesn't run like shit" despite Xbox BC having a few changes already. Make us proud Sega :(

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should cut 90% of the game and it might turn into a 7.

As it is now it just simply is not worth it. You can not really polish a turd.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I can't imagine ever wanting to play through those Werehog levels again and for Boost I can just play Colors, Generations, Forces, or Frontiers.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
People out here asking for remakes so the bad games they remember liking play like they incorrectly remember them playing like.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Change the amount of enemy health, fix some of the weird collision bugs for Werehog, either remove the battle music or only use it for certain scenarios, increase the performance of the Daytime levels and break Eggmanland into multiple parts so it isn't a 30 minute level and we have a deal!

But yes I'd love a remaster, especially if they include the Wii version as a bonus for those curious. I don't think it would be coming anytime soon, but I feel it'll happen eventually.

Nov 14, 2017
Sonic's community manager made a tweet after Colors Ultimate came to Steam asking for suggestions to pass onto Sega/Sonic Team, so I'm sure they're more than aware of the demand for an Unleashed remaster. Whether they'll actually do anything with the knowledge remains to be seen.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unleashed is honestly a pretty damn good game. I think a few modernizations could put that game in a real good spot. Even the Werehog levels aren't terrible. I finished the whole thing last summer for the first time and had a pretty good time outside of a few frustrating areas in a few select levels.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think Sega probably wants to leave the period of everything after SA2 and before Colors behind, which is a shame.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
It's an easily redeemable game. The daytime stages are amongst the best in the series, and the DLC is all solid. All together it's like 40 or so boost stages, ranging from decent to excellent.

The werehog combat needs some modifications
- no battle music except for minibosses.
- faster attack and movement speed, some basic cancels and dodges
- just less enemy health in general

The exploration and progression just needs:
- All medals come from fulfiling requirements in daytime stages. Nighttime medals are collectibles and unlock more concept art or some shit.
- Lower medal requirements in general.

Basically the point would be to have players spend more time in the Daytime and DLC levels, learning them well enough to fulfil Frontiers style objectives, and that the nighttime stages should be a brief palette cleanser between them. Get to like 80/20 Daytime/Nighttime instead of closer to 50/50 or 40/60.

I don't think it will become suddenly some sort of masterpiece with the changes, but I think it would compare a bit more favorably to generations perhaps.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I guess so, but it's not a good game IMO.
The boost levels are fun, if frustrating at times with all the rails over bottomless pits, but the bulk of the game is the slow long werehog levels and bad boss fights. And the final level is a prime example of wtf were they thinking this is an awful way to end the game.

But yeah, for preservation it should at least be ported to PC.

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
yalls nostalgia goggles and lust for the anime critters shielding you from the shit that is Adventure, Adventure 2 and Heroes. They have a dope cringey rock soundtrack though.

Unleashed was half decent but it needs a ReMake. A remaster is just polishing half a turd.

At least Colors was decent, Generations was good and Forntiers is a good step in the right direction.

jk, they should remaster them all and give us a Sonic 3D collection starting Shadow the hedgehog.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
remove medals gating progression, fix the werehog battle theme to only play sporadically in arena settings and give it a tiny visual pass and i'd drop 30 dollars on it

i don't expect them to do it anytime soon though, seems like they've got their plate full with frontiers long term support and whatever they're cooking up for the next title

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I really hope so. All timer game that was so unfairly criticized due to releasing in the shadow of 06.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It should get one. It won't get one. It's probably for the best at this point. (I'd say that applies to any other 3D Sonic now, as well)

Play it on Series X, or play Unleashed Project on PC.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I think it looks pretty fantastic still but there are definitely some gameplay aspects we can change for the better. Medals being one of them.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Maybe it's just me, but I found the boost gameplay at its best in Unleashed.

The levels were huge, WIIIIDE and actually challenging. The 2D sections also didn't feel tacked on
I just replayed Unleashed and Generations with FPS boost, coming off getting the platinum trophy for Sonic Colors and Sonic Frontiers recently.

Unleashed has the best boost gameplay and levels of the entire series. The levels are long, wide, MOSTLY IN 3D, and when they are in 2D, it's much more of reflex and speed than shitty block platforming that makes up the majority of Colors and quite a bit of later boost levels.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Played the game to 100% a year ago and it still holds up as one of the best Sonic games ever, if not the best.

Do some DMC remaster shit and just make the werehog 20% faster and you have an 11/10 GOTG

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I really hope so. All timer game that was so unfairly criticized due to releasing in the shadow of 06.
Played the game to 100% a year ago and it still holds up as one of the best Sonic games ever, if not the best.

Do some DMC remaster shit and just make the werehog 20% faster and you have an 11/10 GOTG
One of the GOATs indeed.

Adjectives don't have the same meanings as they do for other things when it comes to Sonic games.

It's a different scale.
This is a very disrespectful take. People can have different taste and enjoy different things without being told they're lowering their standards for it.

Last edited:

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Remove the QTE, make werehog move faster and control better, and remove medals requirements and maybe that can make it slightly more playable.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
It needs to be more than just a remaster, which is why it'll never get one. Sega ain't that committed to the IP.