• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
As a preface, I don't know if there's a difference between Series S and X controllers, but I'm going to rant about the S controller.
This is my first Xbox since my third 360 back in like 2010, so I was excited to reacquaint myself with the MS ecosystem. I got it about a month ago. Also of note: I haven't bought a new console since 2017 when I got my Switch, and I also have a base PS4.

My first thought after holding it was "Huh, this controller feels a little different than my Switch Pro and PS4 Dualshock." Feels a little light, but the texture feels lovely to hold, the shape is ergonomic, the button feedback feels good. D pad will take some getting used to but overall, it's nice, just feels different.

Immediately after that I'm met with the realization: Oh... AA Batteries. Not rechargeable? I figured Microsoft, once the vanguard of tech, would surely have adopted wireless charging, or at least some kind of long-lasting rechargeable battery. Now, I know there are proponents of this approach, and yes I do have a ton of rechargeable AAs to power this thing, but it's much more of a hassle to go to the charger, swap out the old ones, yadda yadda than to just plug it in when the battery is low. Is it even possible to play wired?
Not to mention, there's not even a "low battery" warning! I'm in the middle of fighting Tartarus in Halo 2 ffs and the controller just shits out. What if I were up against the Elden Beast? Maybe there is a warning and I just missed it somehow (?) but baseline should be a "Warning, low battery" popup 5, maybe 10 minutes before it shits the bed. Very user friendly 🙄.

And what the hell is up with this Xbox button (idk what you call it, equivalent to the PS button on a Sony controller.) This button has a deep well, and it's recessed to begin with. In order to turn the console on, it's a long press. Ok, normal. But I was so confused why when I pressed it during gameplay, nothing would happen. If I pressed it harder, it would bring up the shut down menu. "No quick/home menu wtf?" I thought. It wasn't until multiple uses that I realized I needed to press it for an awkward duration somewhere in between tapping and long-holding. Maybe this is faulty? Someone please let me know.

Final qualm is that I can't even use any of my 8bitdo controllers with Xbox. I had assumed it would be either easy peasy or there was a competent workaround, considering how open-ended Windows can be. But no, turns out I'd need no less that 2 dongles to make my 8bitdo pro work.

😤

Overall it's fine, whatever, it's a controller and it controls. But for my very first "next gen" controller, I was left sorely disappointed in comparison to the Switch Pro and PS4 Dualshock, both of which are 6 and 10 (!) years old, respectively. Is this just Microsoft vying for me to get the Elite Controller? Is it even any better in build quality?

Is it just me? How do you all feel about the Series base controller?

Also: I know Nintendo doesn't have a great track record considering all my joycons have drift, so I will say that. Fuck joycons but the Pro hasn't done me wrong.
Finally: If this is considered console-warring or some such please feel free to close, I had no intention of starting that kind of discussion. Just that I'm disappointed in my new console's controller out of the box.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
There is a low battery pop-up and the controller batteries last orders of magnitude longer than PS4 or PS5 controllers in my experience.

Xbox guide button single-tap in-game should be the quick menu and long-press should bring up power options. If that's not happening, menu might be lagging or something wrong with the guide button.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Is it even possible to play wired?
yeah? that's what the usb port on the controller is for (microsoft also sells a rechargeable battery pack that will charge off that port if you're really hankering for that built in proprietary battery lifestyle)

also if you keep some freshly charged batteries near where you play, it takes seconds to swap them out

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
rechargeable batteries like eneloops are your best friend

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its probably my favorite controller in most instances right now. Its leaps better than the 360 or Xbox One iterations of this design.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
I use rechargable AA batteries for my Xbox controllers, they last ages and it does come up with a notification when they run low. Much longer life than the PS controller internal batteries too, Nintendo nail the battery life in their controllers tho in my experience - those Switch Pro Controllers (and even the Wii U Pro Controller before it) last a good while.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Love the controller.

Play and charge kit always dies fast for me. I've given up on it now.

Eneloops all day.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
rechargeable batteries like eneloops are your best friend
I know, I just pulled two eneloops out of it but now I have to go up to my office to plug these two back in and swap out the charged two.
Play and charge kit is your best friend if you want rechargeable
Ok, I just found this and ordered one. Thank you. A little annoying that I have to pay for this pleasure, but...

Edit:
Love the controller.

Play and charge kit always dies fast for me. I've given up on it now.

Eneloops all day.
Ah, well, shit...

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I will never understand the big deal with AA bateries, as much as I like built in batteries, recharging AA / AAA is a non issue, just get yourself eneloop and you are set for life for you clocks / keyboard / mouse, etc. but since Xbox does not have a built in battery it should be reflected on its price, the ones that handle batteries perfectly are 8bitdo giving you a battery but the controller itself can take AA.

Now the battery warning / indicator is a really big problem, you never know when it is going to die, that icon helps nobody, same on Switch, they should just add numbers like on smartphones, it is specially bad when using it on PC, the controller just dies, sometimes crashing games.

Short press = guide menu
Long press = power options

As for the controller there is lots of places for it to improve:
Bumpers never feel right to press, I've seen several people saying the bumpers break since they are a long piece of plastic.
Dpad is amazing but too clicky, it doesn't bother me but it being more silent would be welcome.
I have issues with inputs registering, either double presses or simply outright not registering.
No gyro, come one now, what year is it.
I don't like the whatever and three lines buttons, don't know what to call them and always forget which is which.

Best feature for me is the ability to pair it to a Xbox and another Bluetooth device and being able to swap them at the press of a button, it is incredible, so useful.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Get ikea rechargeables problem solved. They're similar to eneloop pro. Built in batteries suck.

A low battery indicator pops up about 30 minutes before you'll run out

Yes the controller works wired

Quick press of the Xbox button brings up the quick menu. Long press to turn on or bring up the turn off menu.

The Xbox button sits flush with the controller.

This is a thread of non issues.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I've been a Nintendo and PlayStation guy my whole life. Owned a 360 and an Xbox One, but I barely played them. When I got the Series X and settled into gamepass, I really began to appreciate how fucking long that battery lasted compared to my PS4/PS5, even with that controller layout.

You can buy an official rechargeable pack for like $15-20 (last I bought them anyway) and also use rechargeable AAs, especially if you have other stuff you'd need them for. I thought you could use just about any controller with a USB adapter, but I admit I haven't tried and I know Xbox is very weird with controllers/bluetooth

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I mean, maybe I'm just stuck in the mindset of convenience that my controller is just one rechargeable unit; are 2 AA Eneloops really more efficient than the batteries present in DS4 and Switch Pros?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The Series S/X has a good controller. It's my go-to for PC. My Switch Pro drifts as hard as my Joycons so they're a nonstarter, the DS4 has zero battery life and a terrible d-pad. I do wish the S/X controller had gyro and a rechargeable battery on par with the Switch Pro's though.

Shaqnificent

Aug 1, 2022
My only complaint is how loud the buttons and d-pad sound when pressing them.

Other than that it's fine imo

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know, I just pulled two eneloops out of it but now I have to go up to my office to plug these two back in and swap out the charged two.

Ok, I just found this and ordered one. Thank you. A little annoying that I have to pay for this pleasure, but...

Edit:

Ah, well, shit...
Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Eneloops will be there later if you don't.

Cashedtastic

Oct 27, 2017
Spokane, WA
There's multiple system notifications that your batteries are low and any controller rumble will stop about 30 mins or so before the controller finally taps out.

Personally love the AAs. I use controllers enough that built-in batteries fade and have ultimately died. Would much rather buy some eneloops.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
My glowy button works with a simple press.
"I have to get up " is such a non complaint regarding batteries.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Ok well you all raise some good points. I guess I'm just being curmudgeonly about the fact that I can't just recharge the controller by plugging it in to the console. And play while it's charging. There's an additional step that doesn't allow overlap.

We'll see how the rechargeable Microsoft battery works...

HOWEVER: From what y'all are saying, the glowy Xbox button I have must be faulty. It does not reliably sense input, hence me having to do the awkward "medium press" that I described in the OP. Therefore, I am rightfully a bit minorly inconvenienced.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Immediately after that I'm met with the realization: Oh... AA Batteries. Not rechargeable? I figured Microsoft, once the vanguard of tech, would surely have adopted wireless charging, or at least some kind of long-lasting rechargeable battery. Now, I know there are proponents of this approach, and yes I do have a ton of rechargeable AAs to power this thing, but it's much more of a hassle to go to the charger, swap out the old ones, yadda yadda than to just plug it in when the battery is low.
lol

You battery folks will never cease to amaze me. How switching out batteries when you have tons of rechargeable ones is harder than playing with a wire connected is beyond me.

Feb 25, 2022
Second best d-pad of all-time after the Saturn JP pad. (Some people are bothered by the clicky noise the d-pad makes but it hasn't bothered me whatsoever. I have music/sound from the game playing loud enough to drown that out. Though I could see how it'd bother you if you have a spouse or family members nearby and are trying to not disturb them past their bedtime and it's too clicky/loud for you to do so. In terms of feel it is aces.)

But yeah just get rechargeable AA batteries with a wall charger. I have a Panasonic charger with eneloop pros. I find that much easier to deal with than having to constantly plug a controller in to recharge it when its non-user-accessible internal battery dies.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'll never understand how people can prefer batteries over rechargeable controllers. Even if the battery is not replaceable.

I just got a Series S and the first thing I realized was that I'd be spending another $15 to get rechargeable batteries. Which... fine, problem solved I guess. But replacing the batteries every couple of days is far more of a hassle than just making sure my controller is plugged in when I'm done playing. And there's always the possibility that you forget to put them on the charger or you lose the batteries altogether.

Yeah, not being able to replace the batteries in the DS4 could potentially suck if the battery ever died... that has never happened to me though. Sure, the charge may not hold as well after years of use... but after years of use I can safely say that my PS4 controllers still last plenty of time for a lengthy gaming session and I can always plug it in while I'm playing to let it charge without interruption.

The Series controller feels good. The bumpers are a million times better than the launch Xbox One bumpers. The d-pad is also a lot better than I remember it being on the earlier Xbox controllers but it is still a far cry from the PlayStation d-pads. Much improved for menu navigation and one off prompts but still not up to snuff for fighters and side-scrollers. I also prefer the shorter travel time of the face buttons on PlayStation controllers and not having the option for gyro really sucks. But it's fine, like you said. The form factor is definitely nice.

Can't speak to the quality yet. That is one area where the DS4 was absolutely pitiful. My Series S controller came with a pretty loose left analog stick right out of the box so that's not a great sign. I guess we'll see.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
lol

You battery folks will never cease to amaze me. How switching out batteries when you have tons of rechargeable ones is harder than playing with a wire connected is beyond me.
Would you rather: Recharge your controller by plugging it in to the console, and be able to continue playing?
OR
Stop playing all together, remove batteries and either A: throw them away and get some new ones and replace them into the controller or B: remove rechargeable batteries, replace them in the charging station, replace them into the controller in order to continue playing or C: be left with no new batteries, no charged batteries, and the only option is to play wired or not at all until you get or charge new batteries?

I'd rather be able to keep playing while plugged into the console while the battery recharges.

It'd be better if the controllers came with these, but
https://a.co/d/76YAL4O official Xbox rechargeable batteries have been out for a while.
Ya I just bought one, thanks

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Agreed about the xbox button. I hate how it's recessed. 360 controller nailed that.

I prefer rechargeable AA's that last for days over having to plug in my controller after 5 hours.

There should have been a warning that your batteries are getting low. Assuming you're playing on Xbox (PC doesn't really have any warning unfortunately). At the very least you should have noticed that rumble had turned off.

There are quite a few 8 bit do controllers that do work on Xbox. The ones that are meant for Xbox, not Switch.

One thing you'll notice soon - The face buttons on the controller aren't 100% reliable. Particularly the A and Y buttons for me. If you don't push down hard enough, or come down at a non-perfect angle, the input might be missed. The long button holds in RE2 remake are a good way to test it.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather: Recharge your controller by plugging it in to the console, and be able to continue playing?
OR
Stop playing all together, remove batteries and either A: throw them away and get some new ones and replace them into the controller or B: remove rechargeable batteries, replace them in the charging station, replace them into the controller in order to continue playing or C: be left with no new batteries, no charged batteries, and the only option is to play wired or not at all until you get or charge new batteries?
Homie, this all takes what, 10 seconds of actual human time? You're playing a video game, the boss will still be there when unpausing.

The time it takes you to pause the game and plug a wire in is likely the same time it would take to swap in two fresh batteries. Put the dead ones to recharge when you're done playing, or since you have a lot of them, charge them in bulk when you get a few dead ones to take up all slots on the charging dock.

Ezpz, now matter how many words you use to make swapping batteries seem complicated or time wasting in the heat of video games.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
OP... you can literally buy rechargable batteries and just hot swap them which takes a couple seconds. Look at PS5 controller if you want a prime example why Xbox controllers are better in that regard.

Ok well you all raise some good points. I guess I'm just being curmudgeonly about the fact that I can't just recharge the controller by plugging it in to the console. And play while it's charging. There's an additional step that doesn't allow overlap.

We'll see how the rechargeable Microsoft battery works...

HOWEVER: From what y'all are saying, the glowy Xbox button I have must be faulty. It does not reliably sense input, hence me having to do the awkward "medium press" that I described in the OP. Therefore, I am rightfully a bit minorly inconvenienced.

You can play while it's charging if you use a play and charge kit or have the Xbox Elite controller.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Homie, this all takes what, 10 seconds of actual human time? You're playing a video game, the boss will still be there when unpausing.

The time it takes you to pause the game and plug a wire in is likely the same time it would take to swap in two fresh batteries. Put the dead ones to recharge when you're done playing, or since you have a lot of them, charge them in bulk when you get a few dead ones to take up all slots on the charging dock.

Ezpz, now matter how many words you use to make swapping batteries seem complicated or time wasting in the heat of video games.
I know, I am complaining about incredibly first world problems, but I'm approaching this from a usability and user experience point of view. Like, whats easier, having a rechargeable controller? Or having rechargeable batteries that you need to manage yourself, completely separate from your controller? The answer is obvious. It's the path of least resistance.

edit:
OP... you can literally buy rechargable batteries and just hot swap them which takes a couple seconds. Look at PS5 controller if you want a prime example why Xbox controllers are better in that regard.

You can play while it's charging if you use a play and charge kit or have the Xbox Elite controller.
And this just kind of proves my point: You can make it as easy as Nintendo and Sony if you buy an additional accessory. Which I did earlier in this thread.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I hate how many times this comes up about AA batteries, to the point it's actually annoying because it has to be said over and over that AA battery approach is better than a built in time bomb. I still to this day don't understand how rechargable batteries is this unknown phenomenon that people don't know they exist am I missing something or do they not exist in some countries? Play and charge kits are all over the market if one must have a more easier way to change batteries than using enloops.

I know, I am complaining about incredibly first world problems, but I'm approaching this from a usability and user experience point of view. Like, whats easier, having a rechargeable controller? Or having rechargeable batteries that you need to manage yourself, completely separate from your controller? The answer is obvious. It's the path of least resistance.

A play and charge kit does this exact same thing without the negative of having it built in and can't be replaced easily.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Not even close. Why are you adding pausing the game to the time it takes when that's happening with batteries as well, lol. You might not even have to pause the game at all if your cable is close or long enough. You all must have some lengthy nails to help you out with those batteries because those things can be a pain in the ass to swap sometimes. Not to mention getting that cover off the back of the controller. These are precious seconds of your lives that need not be wasted!

100%.

I hate how many times this comes up about AA batteries, to the point it's actually annoying because it has to be said over and over that AA battery approach is better than a built in time bomb. I still to this day don't understand how rechargable batteries is this unknown phenomenon that people don't know they exist am I missing something or do they not exist in some countries? Play and charge kits are all over the market if one must have a more easier way to change batteries than using enloops.
Been using the DS3, DS4, Switch Pro Controller, etc. for... almost two decades now? Never had a battery die on me.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

You have to recharge PS controllers every 5 minutes. You have to recharge xbawks controllers every year. So that's the tradeoff.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
My only complaint is how loud the buttons and d-pad sound when pressing them.

Other than that it's fine imo

They are louder but also much more responsive than the ps5 buttons/dpad which feel like mush in comparison. I'm sure a thin silicon dampener could achieve silence. Maybe in the next iteration.

I mean, maybe I'm just stuck in the mindset of convenience that my controller is just one rechargeable unit; are 2 AA Eneloops really more efficient than the batteries present in DS4 and Switch Pros?

They last 3x longer than the ps4/ps5 controller and take seconds to swap. And you'll never have to worry about battery degradation since they are easily replaceable.

OR

I'd rather be able to keep playing while plugged into the console while the battery recharges.

The time it takes to plug in a cord you could have swapped the batteries and remained wireless. Your argument is ridiculous.

Agreed about the xbox button. I hate how it's recessed. 360 controller nailed that.
One thing you'll notice soon, and don't let people gaslight you into thinking it's not a thing. The face buttons on the controller aren't 100% reliable. Particularly the A and Y buttons for me. If you don't push down hard enough, or come down at a non-perfect angle, the input might be missed. The long button holds in RE2 remake are a good way to test it.

The Xbox button should be flush with the controller until pressed.

For the buttons try wrapping your lips around the buttons and blowing hard into the controller. Do this 3-4 times and check and see if solved. The Xbox one dpad had similar issues, it's from carbon dust on the contacts. Not sure if it will help with buttons but worth a try.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Been using the DS3, DS4, Switch Pro Controller, etc. for... almost two decades now? Never had a battery die on me.

That's not how batteries work, they don't have unlimited lifespans and also they degrade over time to the point you need to keep them plugged in almost all the time or charge them way more often. Battiers are a consumable item and I highly doubt any of those controllers last remotely the same as brand new unless you used them once a month.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. It's not so much the removable batteries aspect though, it's the fact they give you some weak ass Duracell AAs (probably $$$ related) to start with. Because of that I had to drop $25 on the Play & Charge kit which has been solid but should've came with the controller default given how much it costs for how basic the functionality is.

One thing you'll notice soon - The face buttons on the controller aren't 100% reliable. Particularly the A and Y buttons for me. If you don't push down hard enough, or come down at a non-perfect angle, the input might be missed. The long button holds in RE2 remake are a good way to test it.
I'm gonna go broken record status as I've mentioned this many times before when it's brought up but yeah this is just a simple design flaw with the controller that hasn't been fixed for 2 generations now. It's pain in Rocket League.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

edit:

And this just kind of proves my point: You can make it as easy as Nintendo and Sony if you buy an additional accessory. Which I did earlier in this thread.

There's legitimately little resistance to changing your battery.

I think choice is easier though. I can get a rechargeable, eneloops, just plain ol aa or play wired.

Or deal with a controller that doesn't last as long new and will only get worse the more i play it. With my choices being buy a new controller/wired if anything happens to the battery.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The AA vs. rechargeable thing will never end, lol. I'd rather be able to use the same pair of eneloops for years and go multiple sessions without caring instead of basically being tethered to the console at all times. Your setup will impact that a lot, but I basically always keep the dualsense plugged in at this point, and I can do the same if I feel like it with the series controller, but I'd rather have the option.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The time it takes to plug in a cord you could have swapped the batteries and remained wireless. Your argument is ridiculous.
It's not even about that. It's about having to manage an entirely separate resource (batteries) when I could have just plugged my controller in to charge it (Sony, Nintendo) before I started playing to ensure it's charged. I've bought the rechargeable xbox battery so this will no longer be an issue soon, hopefully, but my point still stands.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
OR

Ya I just bought one, thanks
D: when the batteries die I swap them out with the fresh pair that's sitting right next to me. I have four pairs of batteries for my controller so I only recharge when at least two pairs are dead and that's like, once every couple of weeks? And I never have to tether myself with a wire.

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
I love the usage of AA because in 20 years, it will still work. The wonky controller limits are off though. 8bitdo does have a wired Xbox pad, but it's needlessly difficult to get wireless third party controllers to work

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
That's not how batteries work, they don't have unlimited lifespans and also they degrade over time to the point you need to keep them plugged in almost or charge them way more often. Battiers are a consumable item and I highly doubt any of those controllers last remotely the same as brand new unless you used them once a month.
I guess I'm just okay with my controllers lasting 5+ years if it means I don't have to keep replacing the batteries every couple of days. You act like they only last a year or something. I've had controllers last the entire lifecycle of their respective console and I play games far more than the average person.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They are louder but also much more responsive than the ps5 buttons/dpad which feel like mush in comparison. I'm sure a thin silicon dampener could achieve silence. Maybe in the next iteration.

They last 3x longer than the ps4/ps5 controller and take seconds to swap. And you'll never have to worry about battery degradation since they are easily replaceable.

The Xbox button should be flush with the controller until pressed.

For the buttons try wrapping your lips around the buttons and blowing hard into the controller. Do this 3-4 times and check and see if solved. The Xbox one dpad had similar issues, it's from carbon dust on the contacts. Not sure if it will help with buttons but worth a try.

I've had brand new in box controllers have the same issue. It's not an issue that the 360 controllers had. Same with the DS controllers.

It's my only major complaint with the controller.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you OP. It's not so much the removable batteries aspect though, it's the fact they give you some weak ass Duracell AAs (probably $$$ related) to start with. Because of that I had to drop $25 on the Play & Charge kit which has been solid but should've came with the controller default given how much it costs for how basic the functionality is.

I'm gonna go broken record status as I've mentioned this many times before when it's brought up but yeah this is just a simple design flaw with the controller that hasn't been fixed for 2 generations now. It's pain in Rocket League.
Yeah, the batteries that came with the controller barely lasted a day for me.

Definitely notice this on the A button as well. Which is why I said that I prefer the shorter travel time on the PlayStation controllers. I figured that might be causing the issue.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
It's pretty lame compared to the DualSense. I think i prefer my XB1 controller. Series controller is still ok just disappointing.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The path of least resistance to me is not having a wire clutter my surroundings. It's subjective. I'd rather just lean over to my desk, pick up 2 fresh batteries, move on with my fine self.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I guess I'm just okay with my controllers lasting 5+ years if it means I don't have to keep replacing the batteries every couple of days. You act like they only last a year or something. I've had controllers last the entire lifecycle of their respective console and I play games far more than the average person.

Replace the batteries every couple of days? let me introduce you to these amazing things called enloops. You will be reaching for that cable way more often than changing the batteries, thats for sure.

Your choice is a controller that lasts 5+ years with worse and worse battery life as time goes on which means you need to reach for that cable more and more, then eventually you would have it plugged in more than not

or

Have a controller that lasts 5+ years with battery life that is the same as day 1 and can last a week at a time on a single charge.

I know which one I'll pick :)

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is dismissive as hell but it's 2023, just convert over to rechargeable AAs. History has shown that integrated, proprietary batteries in anything that isn't waterproof/glued was a mistake.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the batteries that came with the controller barely lasted a day for me.

Definitely notice this on the A button as well. Which is why I said that I prefer the shorter travel time on the PlayStation controllers. I figured that might be causing the issue.
The issue primarily stems from the buttons have enough wiggle room to be pressed in at an angle, not fully coming into contact with the contact pad. Because of that it's easy to get it pressed in such an awkward way that you end up with either a missed input or double input.

Due to the Series controller being an evolution of the Xbox One controller where this flaw was introduced, it carried over and persists even in the Elite controllers that still use the Xbox One controller base. It'll need a redesign to get fixed which probably won't happen till next gen as a potential Elite 3 controller will likely use the Series controller base as an upgrade.