• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 5, 2018
So, when the game first came out, I wasn't interested in playing, I'm not a massive fan of souls games in terms of playing them, I've seen most of the endings and big bosses by now, though a lot of the journey there was likely edited out.

Around a month after release I picked up the game, I started with a character that had 0 equipment and managed to get as far as past godwick before stopping. I hadn't realised an arm injury I acquired was as bad as it was around the time I started, which made long play time (something I find soul games require for progression) result in days where I was in too much pain to pick up a controller.

As a result, I stopped around 10-11 months ago, and while I'm not the games biggest fan I'm at an impasse.

I've been considering if I want to either pick it back up or start another character, in large part because I fancy playing an rpg and making a specific character. The other option is Skyrim, where I can make a little mod project to most likely accomplish my goal.

On the one hand, I've definitely overplayed skyrim over the years, it would be a fair statement to say I've in some way or another put 1000 hours into the game, though I haven't played since it's last big update, and I do love the game.

On the other theres Elden ring, I have some enjoyment with the game, and can have some of the best rpg experiences with it, but my arm injury still isn't fully healed, and I believe it might relapse even now if embark on that journey.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
the skyrim anniversary edition content is really really good, there's a lot of hours there and some great quest lines. it's well worth playing again for that. especially if you're feeling like a comfy game

elden ring is great too but given your situation maybe skyrim would be a nice comfy game with all the anniversary content you haven't experienced yet

if you want 100% blind, then don't watch, but it's actually just an overview telling you what's there, doesn't really spoil the content of quests much

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQjFqkeOTQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dy1luAwX6Q

non video links:

You get all the content here ^

these some of the questlines (seriously great)

Last edited:

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
... everything seems to point at you wanting (and only being able) to play Skyrim, OP. So play Skyrim. I really don't see the conundrum here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, I've definitely overplayed skyrim over the years, it would be a fair statement to say I've in some way or another put 1000 hours into the game, though I haven't played since it's last big update, and I do love the game.
If you're looking to freshen up Skyrim outside of just the new updates, some of the newer combat overhaul mods on PC are insane and make the gameplay almost a souls-like experience so you pretty much can get the best of both worlds. Makes it feel almost like a totally new experience.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to play Skyrim yet again. I played a bit of pc, xbox 360, switch and xbox series x. But not the newest edition.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Get your fill of Elder Scrolls and then wait for the Elden Ring DLC to get it all done in one go.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
Well ideally I'd have a new rpg to play since while I do enjoy Skyrim, it's a bit too familiar.

I don't get it, OP. It seems ER is not for you. You dropped it about 9 months ago and you're now debating whether to play that or replay a game you've already apparently spent 1000 hours with. And, on top of that, it seems you have an injury that would make ER a potential health risk (I assume because of the way it controls?).

It seems the decision is pretty clear-cut: you are looking for an excuse to have to play ER when you actually don't want to. Just play Skyrim if that's what you really want. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
the skyrim anniversary edition content is really really good, there's a lot of hours there and some great quest lines. it's well worth playing again for that. especially if you're feeling like a comfy game

elden ring is great too but given your situation maybe skyrim would be a nice comfy game with all the anniversary content you haven't experienced yet

if you want 100% blind, then don't watch, but it's actually just an overview telling you what's there, doesn't really spoil the content of quests much

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQjFqkeOTQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dy1luAwX6Q

non video links:

You get all the content here ^

these some of the questlines (seriously great)

I have Skyrim on Switch (on a cart) and I think the anniversary is an upgrade I can download? Do you recommend it? Love Skyrim but I've just about cleared all the dungeons now.

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
I don't get it, OP. It seems ER is not for you. You dropped it about 9 months ago and you're now debating whether to play that or replay a game you've already apparently spent 1000 hours with. And, on top of that, it seems you have an injury that would make ER a potential health risk (I assume because of the way it controls?).

It seems the decision is pretty clear-cut: you are looking for an excuse to have to play ER when you actually don't want to. Just play Skyrim if that's what you really want. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
There is a part of Elden ring I enjoy though, i adore rpgs and there's no denying Elden ring has more fresh experiences than Skyrim, not everything can measure up to one of your favourites after all. It's largely the fact that that playing in the way that was natural to me triggered my injury.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring is an amazing game. Skyrim is more of a sim to fuck around in that is decent with mods but is pretty terrible vanilla.

edit: The latter is definitely less intensive with an injury

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
Elden Ring is an amazing game. Skyrim is more of a sim to fuck around in that is decent with mods but is pretty terrible vanilla.

edit: The latter is definitely less intensive with an injury
Yeah for sure, if I had more self control I doubt it would be as big of an issue, but no one likes leaving the game on a boss your stuck on.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I have Skyrim on Switch (on a cart) and I think the anniversary is an upgrade I can download? Do you recommend it? Love Skyrim but I've just about cleared all the dungeons now.
From a content point of view the anniversary edition adds a lot of content like more dungeons and locations, items from armour sets to backpacks etc, quests and questlines, also new homes (some of the best homes in the game IMO) and also features like fishing and camping and so on and it's high quality. but i don't know if it plays well on the switch itself but from a pure content pov I definitely recommend it

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Any advice/suggestions appreciated.
Are you interested in turn based RPGs? If so, there are many good options there that probably wouldn't be too intensive for your arm while giving you a lot of content to enjoy.

I've been beating the Octopath 2 drum for a while now, but if that style interests you then definitely check it out because it's excellent. If you can do anime-like aesthetics there are many other options like Persona or Trails.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only spent brief moments with Skyrim. 70+ hours into Elden Ring and I'm not sure if I like it (I loved Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne).

also "godwick" LOL

tldr go play Skyrim, maybe I should do that too

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
Are you interested in turn based RPGs? If so, there are many good options there that probably wouldn't be too intensive for your arm while giving you a lot of content to enjoy.

I've been beating the Octopath 2 drum for a while now, but if that style interests you then definitely check it out because it's excellent. If you can do anime-like aesthetics there are many other options like Persona or Trails.

Persona is a strange one, I put 300 hours into p5 on to saves, got to the last dungeon and stopped, never finished either save despite loving the game, then put a good 80+ into royal and never ended up finishing it. I've realised it's hard for me to commit to a game like that and expect to beat it. In truth though I prefer the life sim aspects to the rpg ones in those games.

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020
I had the same on my Deck. I ended up with Divinity OS 2...

I have played Skyrim to death, and I can't do the combat anymore, I wanted a deep RPG where I can role-play and Elden Ring seems more like a pure action game from what I have seen.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Persona is a strange one, I put 300 hours into p5 on to saves, got to the last dungeon and stopped, never finished either save despite loving the game, then put a good 80+ into royal and never ended up finishing it. I've realised it's hard for me to commit to a game like that and expect to beat it. In truth though I prefer the life sim aspects to the rpg ones in those games.
I see. I think a lot of people come to Persona for life sim aspect, so that's not strange really. I'd say watch a trailer or two from Octopath 2 or better yet play the free demo and see if that's more your style. It's a very well made RPG if you are okay with its visual style.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Is combat important to the experience? Then play Elden Ring

Is full-on immersion important to the experience? Then play Skyrim

They both offer different, amazing experiences.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
If your injury is preventing you from playing elden ring, just play skyrim.

Both are really good games, and even a decade plus from Skyrim's release, there really isn't much like it.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
You're not a huge fan of Elden Ring and you have an injury that makes it difficult to play the game but you're still not sure what to play?

My dude.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Protip: don't pick up the dragon stone to give to that Whiterun wizard and unleash dragons in the world, Skyrim is even more laid back and peaceful. I also don''t like unleashing Oblvion gates.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Actual pro tip: Play either one, but watch youtube videos regarding the other one, preferrably lore, *things you didn'T know* or blind lets play.

Then, once the "man I wanna play this now" phase kicks in, just do it the other way around.

(It's games, my dude, not work. Don't grind yourself into something you don't really wanna play at the moment)

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an April Fool's joke? Why are you asking people if you should play Skyrim when you've got more knowledge and experience with the game than almost every single person here? Nobody here knows as well as you about your injury, so if you're saying you think playing Elden Ring could make it worse, who are we to tell you otherwise?

I don't get what advice we could bring to the situation.

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
Is this an April Fool's joke? Why are you asking people if you should play Skyrim when you've got more knowledge and experience with the game than almost every single person here? Nobody here knows as well as you about your injury, so if you're saying you think playing Elden Ring could make it worse, who are we to tell you otherwise?

I don't get what advice we could bring to the situation.
No April fools here, I just like to get other perspectives is all. Also likely because I'm on the fence with more Skyrim.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
No April fools here, I just like to get other perspectives is all. Also likely because I'm on the fence with more Skyrim.
Normally in these "should I play this or that" threads the OP is unfamiliar with both of them and says something like "I like [genre] but don't like [mechanic]... is [mechanic] a huge part of the game or can I reasonably avoid it?" Often they're trying to decide which to spend their limited cash on as well. This sounds like you've already ruled out one game by way of physically harming yourself, and are asking if you should play the other game that you have more experience with than anyone on the forum potentially. I think Skyrim is poop and Elden Ring is great, but there's no other perspective I can add here. If someone told me they were deciding between jogging and tennis, but can't play tennis because of a shoulder injury, and liked jogging more anyway, even if I think jogging sucks I'm not going to tell them to play tennis.

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
Normally in these "should I play this or that" threads the OP is unfamiliar with both of them and says something like "I like [genre] but don't like [mechanic]... is [mechanic] a huge part of the game or can I reasonably avoid it?" Often they're trying to decide which to spend their limited cash on as well. This sounds like you've already ruled out one game by way of physically harming yourself, and are asking if you should play the other game that you have more experience with than anyone on the forum potentially. I think Skyrim is poop and Elden Ring is great, but there's no other perspective I can add here. If someone told me they were deciding between jogging and tennis, but can't play tennis because of a shoulder injury, and liked jogging more anyway, even if I think jogging sucks I'm not going to tell them to play tennis.
I can play Elden ring I just probably wouldn't get the most out of it, I was wondering if there's a way to play it that could be manageable I suppose.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
How is this a question?

Take care of your body. Let your arm heal.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I can play Elden ring I just probably wouldn't get the most out of it, I was wondering if there's a way to play it that could be manageable I suppose.
There's no way I'd know how you can play Elden Ring in the manageable way you play Skyrim. Is the issue to do with the frequency of action gameplay, the ability to pause anytime, controller remapping, the use of the Xbox Accessibility Controller? Was the Skyrim mod you mentioned you would make some kind of accessibility mod?

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
There's no way I'd know how you can play Elden Ring in the manageable way you play Skyrim. Is the issue to do with the frequency of action gameplay, the ability to pause anytime, controller remapping, the use of the Xbox Accessibility Controller? Was the Skyrim mod you mentioned you would make some kind of accessibility mod?
It's basically a case of repetitive strain, I can play for an hour etc just fine, but I found myself playing a warrior like build and that led to many deaths and reattempts. So I was wondering if there's any character builds that are a little more autopilot and easier to control.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Use cheat engine or something to break elden ring. Make it a more appropriate game to play with your injury. Have the experience in a context that works for you.

Oct 27, 2017
Your health comes first if you want to maximize your gaming enjoyment. Elden ring is a bit hard on my hands as well since it's often so tense. Have you tried a controller with back buttons to minimize your hand movement?

Elden recently clicked for me after a long time trying to get into it. Now that I know more about the game and have more concrete goals, I can play shorter sessions and still get meaningful progress. Maybe set a small goal like gaining a level or beating one boss before taking a break. I too love Skyrim but it's fun to explore a new world.