• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations to everyone involved. I'm so glad fighting games are selling so well.

Credited to Warrior of light*

Last edited:

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
So that was 3 million sales before June this year, would be interesting to see what that figure is at now, there was a lot of hype around season 2 with the additions of Lei and Anna. Great result anyway, hope they increase the budget for Tekken 8.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Tekken 7 actually outsold Street Fighter V?

Damn, who would have guessed?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear. I guess it outsold SFV then as well.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good shit Namco, well deserved success.

Hopefully SC6 sells as well, or at least 2 million copies since it seems to have a smaller budget than T7.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy about Tekken's success. One of my favorite franchises since childhood.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Does anyone have any sort of ranking for the current gen of fighters?

Tekken 7 - 3 Million
Dragon Ball Fighterz - 2.5 Million
SFV - 2.1 Million
MVC:I - 1 Million

Only ones I could pull up easily

Congrats to Tekken though. Glad to see it doing well.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
So Tekken 7 actually outsold Street Fighter V?

Damn, who would have guessed?
... This have been the case since the start of the Tekken series mid 90s! Even with SF series return to the front with SFIV, Tekken 6 sold better despite not being on PC. SF only really sells more when you start grouping multiple SF releases to compare with a single Tekken game.

SF is only more popular in the competitive scene and in pop culture due to SF2.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Does anyone have any sort of ranking for the current gen of fighters?

Tekken 7 - 3 Million
Dragon Ball Fighterz - 2.5 Million
SFV - 2.1 Million
MVC:I - 1 Million

Only ones I could pull up easily

Congrats to Tekken though. Glad to see it doing well.

MK X is above 5 million iirc, last update was in 2015. Injustice 2 was the highest grossing title in Q2 2017.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Is that a lot ?

Irc most people here say Arms was a failure, and that sold 2M in about the same timespan as a Platform exclusive on a system with a still pretty small installbase.

Even more than Smash ?

That's a lot for fighting games, the biggest seller nowadays are Netherealms titles and Smash ofc.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a lot ?

Irc most people here say Arms was a failure, and that sold 2M in about the same timespan as a Platform exclusive on a system with a still pretty small installbase.

Even more than Smash ?
It's a little different for a launch window game imo but I think arms underperforming was more due to the....... legs

Oct 29, 2017
Is that a lot ?

Even more than Smash ?

Smash is around 40 million, so yeah.

The individual Smash games sell more on average than Tekken, but there aren't nearly as many. Smash Ultimate will likely put the series in the lead, though.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
without proper 1X support, I have no interest in getting Tekken 7. Will probably have to wait for Tekken 8 no doubt.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
That's a lot for fighting games, the biggest seller nowadays are Netherealms titles and Smash ofc.

What are Netherrealms games ?

It's a little different for a launch window game imo but I think arms underperforming was more due to the....... legs

Would a launchwindo game really outweigh an installbase that is a whole order of magnitude bigger ?

And irc the legs were pretty ok, somewhere around 300k per quarter since the launch one.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Is that a lot ?

Even more than Smash ?
people would expect more from a nintendo title because they're much more main stream, so you'd expect the game to appeal to more people, and also the marketing push nintendo gave it was much larger than any of these other fighting games. games like tekken are really hardcore, it sadly means that the audience is pretty niche so sales for these types of games are expected to be much lower.