• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
ssy8L4I.png

Welcome, listeners of the 8-4 Play Podcast, to the ResetEra 8-4 Play Official Thread.

This will serve as the home for the podcast where the staff of video game localizers - and now video game publishers - 8-4, Ltd sit down and talk about the latest in Games, Japan and Japanese Games from their palatial offices in beautiful downtown Tokyo. Hosted by Mark "Gaming Jesus" MacDonald, John "Acquirer" Ricciardi, Hiroko "Silence is Golden" Minamoto and JJ "SPLAHtoon" Epperson, and their cast of overworked interns, they spin podcast gold from their unique, insider perspective of the Japanese Game Industry.

Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
Listen to 8-4 Play via Spotify
Follow 8-4 on Facebook
Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter
Follow Mark Macdonald on Twitter
Follow John Ricciardi on Twitter
Follow Hiroko Minamoto on Twitter
Follow Justin Epperson on Twitter
Follow Sarah on Twitter
Follow Roy on Twitter
Follow Graeme on Twitter

Notable Episode: [Work in progress]
8-4 Play 9/23/2010: ASCENSION OF THE POKETRON
It's a guestacular second episode of 8-4 Play as two of the industry's finest - former EGM/1UP scribe Shane Bettenhausen (now of Ignition Entertainment) and Kojima Productions alum Ryan Payton (now of Microsoft's 343 Industries) join us to give their thoughts on this year's Tokyo Game Show, the state of the Japanese game industry, Dante's new hair, and a whole lot more.
8-4 Play 10/28/2010: SUPER GAME MASTERS
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the NES, 8-4 invites retro gaming legend Kevin "tsr" Gifford, founder of tsr's NES archive and keeper of the world's largest collection of obscure game knowledge, to take us back (back... back...) to the 80s to talk about the birth of the era's most popular 8-Bit system. But before that, listen to round-ups of the recent Level-5 and Grasshopper events in Japan, thoughts on Costume Quest, Vanquish, Limbo, La Mulana, and Game Dev Story, and the sad tale of Mr. Gifford's epic attempt to clear the Tower of Druaga on a single coin...

8-4 Play 4/22/2011: PROJECT CAFÉ OLÉ
What's this? An episode of 8-4 Play where the crew actually talks about what they do all day: game translatin'? Believe it, spoony bard! Localization legend Richard Honeywood, he of such Square Enix favorites as Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Dragon Quest VIII, joins us to talk shop, 64DD development, and being best buds (well, buds) with Nintendo prez Satoru Iwata. And speaking of Nintendo -- did someone say Project Cafe? Tune in for idle speculation on the big N's rumored Wii successor system, along with thoughts on Capcom's Captivate games, Sonic Generations, and plenty more.

8-4 Play 6/3/2011: E3 COMETH
E3 is almost here! Join us for one last round of rumor-mongering and baseless speculation on what'll go down at next week's big event. Former 8-4 intern and Resident Evil superfan Alex "cvxfreak" Aniel joins us to talk about Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Kojima Productions' pre-E3 announcements, the merits (or lack thereof?) of calling your handheld "Vita," and our very own E3 predictions.

8-4 Play 8/26/2011: MAY CONTAIN SCENES OF EXPLICIT VIOLENCE AND GORE
You could just listen to the 8-4 crew talk 3DS rumors, PS3 and Vita announcements, MHP3rdHD, DOTA2 and Street Fighter IV as eSports, games that will hit and miss the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, and the Valve / EA / Activision shit-talkin' express and then just call it a day. Perfectly acceptable. But if you want the real, secret, best ending to the podcast, bust out some healing herb and stick around as Resident-Evil-superfan Alex "cvxfreak" Aniel joins us in the second half for part 1 of our long-awaited, quote-laden celebration of the seminal survival horror franchise's 15th anniversary.

8-4 Play 9/16/2011: TOKYO GAME SHOW 2011
Shane Bettenhausen! Ryan Payton! Billy Berghammer! We've got special guests up the wazoo here at 8-4 Towers to celebrate 8-4 Play's first anniversary (yay!) and to help us break down the 2011 Tokyo Game Show. Tune in for hands- (and/or eyes-) on impressions of all the big games, including the PlayStation Vita launch lineup, Binary Domain, Phantasy Star Online 2, Anarchy Reigns, Soul Calibur 5, the 3DS "Frankenstick" right stick add-on, and more. And when you're done, be sure to head over to Shacknews.com to pick up the second half of our big discussion with Garnett Lee on this week's Weekend Confirmed.

8-4 Play 8/24/2012: BICKO-BACKO
Join the 8-4 gang and special guest Kevin "Big John Studd" Gifford as they talk about Sony's Gamescom showing (Tearway, Cross Buy, Rain, Puppeteer, and...what was the name of that horror game?), Nintendo Power's shuttering, Dragon Quest X and Nayuta No Kiseki playing, flea-marketing, Neo Geo X Gold buying (or not), imitating classic video game sounds, and dying alone.

8-4 Play 9/7/2012: PLAY IT LOUD!
Part one of our long-awaited Super Nintendo 21st (and change) Super-anniversary retro-sode is here, and you don't even need your Mom to drive you to the mall to get it! But before that, thoughts on the latest Nintendo Direct, Monster Hunter 4, rumored Wii U pricing, Lightning Returns: FF13, Super Hexagon, Steam Greenlight, Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight and (wait for it)...more!

8-4 Play 9/14/2012: PLAY U NEXT WILL HOW?
To be honest, none of us remember recording this episode -- after the deluge of Nintendo's Wii U announcements (prices! Dates! 2 SKUs! Monster Hunter Ultimate! Toki Tori 2! ...wait, I mean Bayonetta 2!), we woke up the next day, and it was just THERE. We took it as a sign to add on part two of our Super Nintendo 21st (more or less) Super-anniversary retro-sode, focusing on the system's epic game library (OCD bonus: in chronological order!).

8-4 Play 12/28/2012: BOX OF CHOCOLATES
No news, a few game impressions (Soul Sacrifice demo among them), and no GOTY BS – mostly just one, long, leisurely, holiday trip through the history of video games – PC and console, Japanese and American -- as we talk through the career of uber-programmer Gregg Tavares, a man who has worked at just about everywhere (Sony, Sega, Microprose, Virgin Interactive, Cinemaware, Naughty Dog, etc.) and on every system (Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, PC, 3DO, M2, Arcade, PSX, PS2, PSP, etc.) at one point or another, and has the stories to prove it. Happy holidays!

8-4 Play 6/21/2013: E3 2013: THERE AND BACK AGAIN
(Almost) Live from Seattle! 17-Bit's Jake Kazdal, Camouflaj's Ryan Payton, and ex-Game Informer / Nintendo World Report founder Billy Berghammer join us (well, some of us) for a first-hand recounting of the highs and lows and highs again of this year's rollercoaster E3 game expo.

8-4 Play 3/7/2014: CEASELESS DISCHARGE
Dark Souls. That's it. 150 minutes of talk about Dark Souls. No other games. No news. Just Dark Souls. Can you survive and make it to the end? In content AND format, truly the Dark Souls of podcasts. ...Dark Souls.

8-4 Play 6/13/2014: E3 2014 SUPERCAST
John Davison, Garnett Lee, and Mike McWhertor -- plus a surprise blast of bonus guests! -- join Mark and John from LA to talk anything and everything E3, including Smash Bros, Destiny, Zelda, Bloodborne, Splatoon, and plenty more!

Latest Episode:
8-4 Play 11/17/2017: STRANGER DANGER
IcVpeuE.png

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, City Shrouded in Shadow, Assassin's Creed Origins, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Stranger Things 2, Danganronpa V3, Game Awards nominees, Chip Tanaka, and more!

Running Time: 1:41:14

Direct Download (58 MB)
Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
18:06 – Xenoblade Chronicles 2
29:14 – City Shrouded in Shadow
37:18 – Dark Souls 3 / Bloodborne
46:07 – Assassin's Creed Origins
55:16 – Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
58: 30 – Stranger Things 2 (Spoiler cast)
1:14:40 – News: Mario Movie, Game Awards, Fire Emblem Heroes update, Fighting EX Layer
1:31:07 – Chip Tanaka debut album
1:33:30 – Closing Comments​

And now…a list of music used in our previous episode!

8-4 Play 11/3/2017: WHO'S THAT MARIO
Intro: Naoto Kubo – Fossil Falls (Super Mario Odyssey)
Ending: Kazumi Totaka – OK Motors (Animal Crossing Pocket Camp)

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I can play Destiny 2 on PC I sorta wish they would talk about it more.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Just posting to say that I've been listening to 8-4 play since the beginning and it has consistently been top tier podcasting.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Veeerrrry interested to hear the upcoming 8-4 now that the other place is effectively done for.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if ERA will be a full feature topic or just a news talking point with Mario and Sony news being huge in the last two weeks.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking for a new podcast to listen to and someone mentioned 8-4 in another thread. Listened to the most recent episode (The Farmer Within) and really enjoyed it, especially since I've been playing lots of Stardew Valley. Definitely subscribing and I'm looking forward their reaction to Super Mario Odyssey.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Are we getting an episode on Friday? I forget if we got one last week. Excited to hear everyone talk about Odyssey.

OP
OP
Planet_JASE

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
It should be this week. The last episode was the 20th of October so this should be new episode week!

(unless I missed a mention of a changed scheduled during the Farmer Within)

OP
OP
Planet_JASE

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
8-4 Play 11/3/2017: WHO'S THAT MARIO
E3sqYgn.png

Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, Nintendo financial reports, Paris Games Week, and more!

Running Time: 1:37:46

Direct Download (56 MB)
Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
17:00 – Mario Odyssey
46:12 – Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
58:07 – Fire Emblem Warriors
1:03:31 – Nintendo Investor Report
1:15:20 – Paris Games Week
1:32:45 – Closing Comments​

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it up, can't download it off podcast programs?

Ah well direct download works

Think the RSS feeds are being slow to update today. It's messed up my usual schedule of Edge & Christian, then 8-4 Play then Beastcast on the 8-4 weeks as Beastcast has already filtered through.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the thread! <3

Re: NeoGAF, we kinda just ran out of time, we weren't intentionally avoiding it or anything. JJ and I were mods there literally from day 1 (I think he was user #6 and I was #14), and also on regular GAF before that; obviously seeing it burn down was tough to watch, but the beautiful thing about it (as Resetera has shown) is that it was always about the community first. Which is why it felt so natural and easy to move over here.

Both of us helped out with giving the crew here advice in setting up Resetera too. I'm super happy to see it thriving, and glad to see we have a home here for the podcast as well!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get that. It's weird how smooth this transition has been and now it kind of feels like these forums have been here wayyyy longer than they actually have. I dont even click now when a podcast that's not every week doesn't go into a full discussion about the old place.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
So happy to have you guys on here. Love every episode, and wish it was weekly.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Oh missed this thread will add some of the images I gotten from the video on them in 2015 though they're imgur links so will wait upload and wait for it to be fixed here.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic, nice to see 8-4 get it's own spot here. I haven't had the downtime to listen to today's pod yet but looking forward to it :D

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I was already wondering why there wasn't a thread for the new episode. It's a great idea to create an OT for the podcast, but I feel like hiding it in hangouts from day 1 makes it almost invisible. I probably wouldn't have found it if I didn't stumble upon it accidentally. Since all of the previous episodes had separate threads on the gaming side it would have been nice if this thread could have started in gaming and then transitioned over to hangouts over time.

Anyway, great episode. While I share the enthusiasm for Odyssey, I do feel like they've kinda thrown the Galaxy games under the bus, though. Those games were bursting with creativity and their design wasn't any worse than Odyssey's. I probably would go as far as saying that Galaxy 2 is still the best Mario to date, actually.

Also, the Koopalings suck and have been way overused in recent years. I hope we don't see them again in a long, long time. :p

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
pEg3AYv.jpg

nh9DMVz.png
XXYkv6c.png

2eGE7wx.png
pQX07hG.png

iIvuFaA.png

Ripped from:
Made the JJ one lol, should edit Mark's to 8-4 play host =P Feel free to use for op, Planet_JASE

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread and was wondering why it was so dead...oops! Don't know why this didn't show up in search.