• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hrs10

Jan 17, 2018
Portugal
what was up with that "ghetto" comment during the monster hunter discussion? That was so off-putting. That and J.J.'s "black friend" joke puts a damper on this whole thing for me

Please don't start with the sjw talk.

Nowadays everybody just gets offended for everything. It's just anoying.

This thread (and the world for that matter) does not need this.

Just stop.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

This thread (and the world for that matter) does not need more of this.

Just stop.

Ehhhhhh

Just to explain my joke, I was equating all the ways John tries to pretend hide his extreme Pro-Nintendo/Anti-Sega stance with white people who think having one black friend means they can't be racist (John once said he had some rare item and that meant he couldn't be a sega hater).

I thought about not using that bit it as it is a bit insensitive, it trivializes racism which I am definitely not about, but I figured it's a roast, so things are gonna get a little edgy. If it offended someone, I totally apologize.

Hrs10

Jan 17, 2018
Portugal
You misunderstood me.

I though the joke was perfectly fine and I got it.

I was just saying to the user paulmyers to not start a sjw argument. That's what's annoying, not what you said.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
You misunderstood me.

I was just saying to the user paulmyers to not start a sjw argument. That's what's annoying.
Yeah, I mean if it made him uncomfortable, that's a totally valid opinion to have.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This was quite the nice episode - keep the MH talk going lol.
Interested to see them sharing their DLC roadmap and update plans soon.

This thread (and the world for that matter) does not need this.

Just stop.
I dont think your response is really helping, this was quite the harmless post....even if you dont agree with it(i dont, quite the reach tbh), why would you get annoyed by listener sharing his thoughts ?

Ehhhhhh

Just to explain my joke, I was equating all the ways John tries to pretend hide his extreme Pro-Nintendo/Anti-Sega stance with white people who think having one black friend means they can't be racist (John once said he had some rare item and that meant he couldn't be a sega hater).

I thought about not using that bit it as it is a bit insensitive, it trivializes racism which I am definitely not about, but I figured it's a roast, so things are gonna get a little edgy. If it offended someone, I totally apologize.

...this is helping though.

Edit:
You misunderstood me.

I was just saying to the user paulmyers to not start a sjw argument. That's what's annoying, not what you said.
This isnt about you. Yes you and 99,9% of the listeners got it and didnt were offended.
That doesnt mean you have to bring up SJW accusations for everyone that feels some type of way. Always better to speak up when or why something might bother one, so the person can respond or clarify things.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Is 8-4 doing the Switch port of Undertale? I assumed so after PS4/Vita but couldn't find anything in the western press about it?

Hrs10

Jan 17, 2018
Portugal
User Warned: Derailing + Non-ironic use of the pejorative "SJW"
Yeah, I mean if it made him uncomfortable, that's a totally valid opinion to have.

Oh. Then I was the one to misunderstand. hehe

Keep up the good work. thumbs up

This was quite the nice episode - keep the MH talk going lol.
Interested to see them sharing their DLC roadmap and update plans soon.

I dont think your response is really helping, this was quite the harmless post....even if you dont agree with it(i dont, quite the reach tbh), why would you get annoyed by listener sharing his thoughts ?

...this is helping though.

Edit:

This isnt about you. Yes you and 99,9% of the listeners got it and didnt were offended.
That doesnt mean you have to bring up SJW accusations for everyone that feels some type of way. Always better to speak up when or why something might bother one, so the person can respond or clarify things.

I wasn't calling him a sjw and wasn't annoyed by him. (also didn't mean to offend anyone)

But just saw the sjw argument coming a mile away.

It was more like venting some steam regarding this whole sjw society we live in.

Nevermind. Carry on, nothing to see here.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I would like it if someone presses John johannes on why they decided early to add "hub" world areas. The mansion was the best part of the first and it was heavily restricted, directed, and linear. I don't think you should take the reception of that level and then come up with the third chapter or whatever where you're doing stealth kills in alleyways.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why whoever it is likes Jhen Moran so much, it's basically the equivalent of a QTE mini game compared to the normal monster hunter combat. Totally agree about that big puffer fish thing though.

I thought 8-4 did the translation for MHW but I guess not since they were hating on the names. Perhaps they can do the next one and retcon them. Bagelzeus!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Is 8-4 doing the Switch port of Undertale? I assumed so after PS4/Vita but couldn't find anything in the western press about it?

Well, that was confusing.

I was about to say "yes, 8-4 appears on the Direct trailer, I remember seeing it", but then I looked and it doesn't:

xODQ28n.png

...but then I thought some more and decided to check the EU Direct, the one I actually watched live. And on *that*, it's there:
kARkJaZ.png

...so I guess there's some odd nuance here? The EU one also has a hashtag, a copyright for Toby Fox and a Switch logo that the US one doesn't.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what? What are they doing for it? Are they translating their japanese version back into english?

paulmyers

Dec 2, 2017
... If it offended someone, I totally apologize.

Thank you for commenting! To be honest, I didn't really get the joke so it came off weird to me. I have been a listener since the podcast began, so I wasn't about to stop listening over something so small. I have always enjoyed the voice you bring to the podcast and you'll be missed ;(

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Graeme has grown on me. I'm finding myself agreeing with him more and more.

Edit: nm, he told Mark to skip Overwatch news. I miss you Sarah.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm like a month late on this but "Devil Went Down to Georgia" is really only universally known to a few pretty specific demographics. Like, either old American southerners or white people in their 30s/40s who watched a lot of MTV in the 90s (thanks to Primus). As a fiddler myself (yes, that's right, I do everything), I wouldn't expect a violin player to automatically know Devil Went Down to Georgia, just as I wouldn't expect a cello player to know Green Day's "Time of Your Life". Just sayin.

Anyway, I have a listener question: Where do we submit the listener questions?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like a month late on this but "Devil Went Down to Georgia" is really only universally known to a few pretty specific demographics. Like, either old American southerners or white people in their 30s/40s who watched a lot of MTV in the 90s (thanks to Primus). As a fiddler myself (yes, that's right, I do everything), I wouldn't expect a violin player to automatically know Devil Went Down to Georgia, just as I wouldn't expect a cello player to know Green Day's "Time of Your Life". Just sayin.

Anyway, I have a listener question: Where do we submit the listener questions?

Their Twitter: @84play

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode. Haven't listened to the end yet (I listened to the direct bit first, went back, and so it somehow got skipped).

It's amazing how I can now enjoy the Monster Hunter bits with still now having any desire to play the series.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Alert an 8-4-bombcast is up at giant bomb dot com

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
8-4 Play 03/23/2018: NOT FEATURING DRAKE

BpYz1z7.png

Time – Topic Discussed:

10:15 – Valkyria Chronicles 4
17:00 – Tetris the Grand Master
23:37 – Granblue Fantasy Anniversary Event
28:00 – Magic the Gathering Arena
34:08 – Read Only Memories
37:24 – Monster Hunter World
54:40 – Bloodborne
58:02 – News: Lots of Sonic news, even MORE impending Switch ports, and the latest from the fast-paced world of battle royale PC games.
1:17:49 – Closing comments

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Roy managed to get 5 minutes of GBF onto the podcast. Everyone needs to go on vacation more!

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brehs I need help, which episode was it with the guy who bought and sold exclusive Disney stuff from Disneyland Tokyo?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would be so interested in a gacha tetris game, imagine how cool the flashy sfx would be for when you get a T-spin with a lv. 40 +10 5 star T block

OP
OP
Planet_JASE

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
8-4 Play 03/23/2018: NOT FEATURING DRAKE

BpYz1z7.png

In a very special, doing-our-best episode, the remaining 8-4 crew talk Valkyria Chronicles, Tetris, Granblue Fantasy, and of course: more Monster Hunter World.

Running Time: 1:23:43

Direct Download (48 MB)
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
10:15 – Valkyria Chronicles 4
17:00 – Tetris the Grand Master
23:37 – Granblue Fantasy Anniversary Event
28:00 – Magic the Gathering Arena
34:08 – Read Only Memories
37:24 – Monster Hunter World
54:40 – Bloodborne
58:02 – News: Lots of Sonic news, even MORE impending Switch ports, and the latest from the fast-paced world of battle royale PC games.
1:17:49 – Closing comments​

And now…a list of music used in our previous episode!

8-4 Play 3/09/2018: SLIGHTLY LESS MONSTER HUNTER TALK…?
Intro: Shogo Sakai – Main Menu (Part Time UFO)
Break: Tsukasa Saitoh – Cleric Beast (Bloodborne)
Ending: Toru Minegishi – Octo Expansion Theme (Splatoon 2)

gillty

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver - Kansai
I miss JJ, but the offcast crew on yesterday's episode was super enjoyable as always. As someone who has lived in Japan and somewhat transient I always have enjoyed these episodes. Nice to have Masa back, enjoy the relaxed nature as opposed to the more rigid episodes hosted by gaming jesus.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Roy did a great job. Though I'm constantly confused as to who does what at 8-4. Maybe a segment of 'whatcha working on' would be cool. I didn't know Masa still worked there. He should have a segment every episode. Something like "what it's like to actually be Japanese this week." Also it was mentioned that Mark always chooses the same nickname for himself, but nobody mentioned that he does this to avoid being called "Gaming's Dennis Miller" which would surely stick forever.

Mark and John on the Bombcast is always the best. Gerstmann and MacDonald are natural entertainers, and it's just fun to listen to those guys talk games. In a perfect world there would be a Jeff Gerstmann/Mark MacDonald/John Davison/Shawn Elliott podcast on the monthly.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone was great this week! I was wondering how Roy would handle hosting but it was very solid. Graeme is a really great second/backing host, especially to move things along during news. I missed Masa more than I thought I did too. Missed opportunity to not do a McDonald's deep dive this episode though!

Also when they get back to questions, I'm interested who the native Japanese speakers in 8-4 Towers think speaks the most fluently in Japanese.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick search for the Tetris game, is it Xbox 360 only? I love Tetris, especially painfully hard Tetris, and would love to give it a try.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I did a quick search for the Tetris game, is it Xbox 360 only? I love Tetris, especially painfully hard Tetris, and would love to give it a try.

Tetris The Grand Master ACE for X360 is the only console version, yeah, but it's region-locked and only works on JP X360 consoles.

All the other Tetris TGM games are arcade-only and due to The Tetris Company's weird nitpicky licensing stipulations, the series may never return.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
I forgot about this, is it all the same people still from about 4 years ago? Wish Mark McDonald would do a podcast without the other guys. Can't remember who, but one of them was insufferable and ruined the whole podcast.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris The Grand Master ACE for X360 is the only console version, yeah, but it's region-locked and only works on JP X360 consoles.

All the other Tetris TGM games are arcade-only and due to The Tetris Company's weird nitpicky licensing stipulations, the series may never return.

Thanks. Checked メルカリ and the game is cheap, but buying a 360 just to give it a try is a bit much. I checked to see if it was on the Japan backwards compatibility list for Xbox One (which I also don't have), and it's not (or I didn't see it). Ah well!

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot about this, is it all the same people still from about 4 years ago? Wish Mark McDonald would do a podcast without the other guys. Can't remember who, but one of them was insufferable and ruined the whole podcast.

Very different. You still have Mark and John, but JJ recently moved on and they've been the "big three" of the show forever. 4 years back you may be talking about Brendan? Who works for Sony now and left the show a long time ago. I'm trying to think of interns that far back too but can't recall names.
(There actually are some episodes that are Mark + other non-regulars, others that are no Mark...I like them all??)