• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that "Respect Every Animal" song was amazing!
What was this week's outro song? The one before the cow/pig one.
A lot of the music this episode was great. They really need to start listing it with this week's episode, instead of the next one. It's really silly the way they do that.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Psssst, there's another episode up. I'm working an overnight shift parking llistelis fuck sorry my phone sucks. Listening now. I thought they were bullying me again but I guess it was something about an armadillo .I kept picturing armoured armadillo from Megaman X because That game had the best bosses of all time. Chill Penguin, I mean come on. That was peak video game.

I'm so tired I can barely remember anything about this episode and to be honest I stopped at the Capcom part. IceIfick fuck. Sorry. IveI I've been working for line two days straight ~3 hrs sleep at this point. But the typos are pure broken phone. I think they talked about sleep at some point. Get more sleep, everyone. This is coming from someone currently working in a sleep lab staring at brainwaves of people sleeping while sleep deprived. They probably do this to people in Guantanamo.

Dark Souls Remastered reminded me how original Firelink Shrine is one of the most iconic areas in video game history. Also the Taurus Demon jumping on the bridge, oh to relive that moment for the first time. Also when he jumps up to the tower where we all tried to cheese him. Design mastery. Dark Souls should have gotten a Pulitzer or whatever elecrelectfuck electronic equivalent.

Can anybody tell me why my autocomplete suggests actual English words and yet when I click on them they paste gubbeegib? Gibberish. Fucking hell that wasn't even on purpose. Need a new phone. What's the best phone to get? I'm a destitute postdoc with small pockets literally and figuratively.

Great episode! I think? The show misses JJ if for nothing else than to be the Shane to Mark's Luke. But keep 'em coming for those of us working the graveyard shift. Even if nobody bothered to mention the

NEW EPISODE:

8-4 PLAY 6/1/2018: CONFIDENTIAL INFORMANTS

y03bHgH.png

E3 is coming fast and so are the game announcements! We cover all the latest Pokémon news, catch up on what we've been playing, and introduce an exciting new podcast from Capcom!

Running Time: 2:35:22

Time – Topic Discussed:

8:37 – Dark Souls Remastered
19:25 – Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
27:22 – Fallout
35:25 – PixelJunk Monsters 2
44:00 – Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers
49:55 – Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
55:21 – Subsurface Circular
1:00:30 – Capcom podcast announcement
1:57:03 – News: Pokémon, Pokémon, Sonic, Pokémon, Yakuza, Killer7
2:24:17 – Closing comments

And now…a list of music used in our previous episode!

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Psssst, there's another episode up. I'm working an overnight shift parking llistelis fuck sorry my phone sucks. Listening now. I thought they were bullying me again but I guess it was something about an armadillo .I kept picturing armoured armadillo from Megaman X because That game had the best bosses of all time. Chill Penguin, I mean come on. That was peak video game.

I'm so tired I can barely remember anything about this episode and to be honest I stopped at the Capcom part. IceIfick fuck. Sorry. IveI I've been working for line two days straight ~3 hrs sleep at this point. But the typos are pure broken phone. I think they talked about sleep at some point. Get more sleep, everyone. This is coming from someone currently working in a sleep lab staring at brainwaves of people sleeping while sleep deprived. They probably do this to people in Guantanamo.

Dark Souls Remastered reminded me how original Firelink Shrine is one of the most iconic areas in video game history. Also the Taurus Demon jumping on the bridge, oh to relive that moment for the first time. Also when he jumps up to the tower where we all tried to cheese him. Design mastery. Dark Souls should have gotten a Pulitzer or whatever elecrelectfuck electronic equivalent.

Can anybody tell me why my autocomplete suggests actual English words and yet when I click on them they paste gubbeegib? Gibberish. Fucking hell that wasn't even on purpose. Need a new phone. What's the best phone to get? I'm a destitute postdoc with small pockets literally and figuratively.

Great episode! I think? The show misses JJ if for nothing else than to be the Shane to Mark's Luke. But keep 'em coming for those of us working the graveyard shift. Even if nobody bothered to mention the

NEW EPISODE:

y03bHgH.png

E3 is coming fast and so are the game announcements! We cover all the latest Pokémon news, catch up on what we've been playing, and introduce an exciting new podcast from Capcom!

Running Time: 2:35:22

Time – Topic Discussed:

8:37 – Dark Souls Remastered
19:25 – Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
27:22 – Fallout
35:25 – PixelJunk Monsters 2
44:00 – Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers
49:55 – Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
55:21 – Subsurface Circular
1:00:30 – Capcom podcast announcement
1:57:03 – News: Pokémon, Pokémon, Sonic, Pokémon, Yakuza, Killer7
2:24:17 – Closing comments

The autocomplete thing is weird, it only happens on resetera on Chrome mobile for me. As far as I know there's no way to fix it yet

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the talk about RE7 (parts of it were quite funny), even though I still haven't got around to playing it yet...

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else notice the weird cut at 51:40 in the latest episode? Dermot was pissed off about some SMTIV: Apocalypse character. I bought SMTIV: Apocalypse a few weeks ago (still haven't started playing it) and I was really interested in his thoughts...do I just have a corrupt file?

Dermolo

Feb 9, 2018
Did anyone else notice the weird cut at 51:40 in the latest episode? Dermot was pissed off about some SMTIV: Apocalypse character. I bought SMTIV: Apocalypse a few weeks ago (still haven't started playing it) and I was really interested in his thoughts...do I just have a corrupt file?

Nope, I heard it on mine too. Maybe they cut it because it's a spoiler?

Huh, that's strange. Something must've gotten borked during the publishing process. Sorry about that!

For those interested, here's what I had to say about SMTIV: Apocalypse, plus a little extra:
I like the game. It's more SMTIV, which I loved, but my problem with Apocalypse is it's tonally inconsistent. Asahi, the girl I mentioned on the show, takes the early events of the story really hard, but is somehow completely fine moments later. That transition felt jarringly unnatural, and made me put the game down for about four months. But like I said, I do like it, so I came back to it, after I'd decided she had mourned long enough in my headcanon. I put in about five more hours, which were much better, and then the story became even more dire and Asahi blew it off again in her bubbly way and I put it down again. I'm all for moments of levity *occasionally*, but so far Asahi has been nothing but unbridled ludonarrative dissonance. Which is rough, because I actually think a lot of the writing is really good, and aesthetically it's awesome. But it seems the original devs weren't quite able to commit to the grim tone Apocalypse aspires to evoke--Asahi is only the most egregious example--which is especially odd/frustrating considering the first game did it so well. I'll keep playing, but if she keeps that nonsense up I'm not sure I'll finish it.
As peeps pointed out on the podcast though, it's possible that Asahi is actually just mentally shattered after what happened and putting on a brave face. I like that angle, and I hope that's the case, but if it is that character development has been far from tactful.

TL;DR: I like SMTIV:A but it keeps pushing me away with clumsy narrative execution.

And again, sorry for the weird cut! I'll make sure this week's show leaves the station with all the carriages attached.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
mark throwing shade at my fav armidillo dillon :'(

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
And we're gonna be getting E3 Hype Train and the first episode of Capcom Confidential back to back, followed by E3 itself! I have stuff I need to get done this weekend... D:

caphisuada

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris Effect hypeeee. Great reveal and a really well done trailer.

Hope to hear more soon on the podcast.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Are you guys able to include the show notes / time stamps directly on the rss feed? (ie you can see in your podcast app)

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
RE2 being another first person VR game would start a riot amongst the fans. 7 was a cool experiment, but RE is a third person series.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Before anyone gets too excited, "Sun Jenoue" (Jun Senoue) isn't the Jet Set Radio composer, he's the lead composer from the Dreamcast era of Sonic games and many other Sonic games besides.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
You lazy assholes.

8 June 2018
8-4 PLAY 6/8/2018: CHUGGING ALONG
by 8-4

ALL ABOOOOOARD! Join us as we run through the games we know we'll see at E3, the ones we hope we do, and even the ones we hope we don't. C'MON 'N RIDE THE #E3HYPETRAIN!

xC4Bfpc.jpg

Running Time: 1:44:53

Time – Topic Discussed:

18:53 – Nintendo
45:12 – Sony
1:05:32 – Microsoft
1:15:24 – Switch Leaks
1:16:49 – Rounding up all the rest
1:22:69 – Lengthy Musings on What is Anti-Calculus Toothpaste Exactly
1:24:31 – Tetris Effect
1:30:15 – Pokémon Gold/Silver Spaceworld ROM
1:32:40 – Closing Comments

Intro: Michiru Yamane – Stage 8 (Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon)
Break 1: Jukio "Kuabee" Kallio – Stage Hard (PixelJunk Monsters 2)
Break 2: Shusaku Uchiyama – Main Theme (Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City)
Ending: Train sounds

I haven't listened yet. I'm going to bed.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017

Time – Topic Discussed:

17:00 – Octopath Traveller
22:28 – Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion
28:59 – Arcade Archives Donkey Kong and Sky Skipper
33:42 – Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
38:46 – Microsoft E3 review
45:58 – Devil May Cry V
55:06 – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
57:18 – Bethesda E3 review
1:05:13 – CyberPunk 2077
1:29:49 – Sony E3 review
1:40:17 – News roundup: Soul Calibur VI, Kingdom Hearts III, Cuphead, Spider-Man
1:49:45 – The Last of Us Part II
1:58:31 – Closing Comments

8-4 Play 6/8/2018: CHUGGING ALONG
Intro: Quad City DJ's -C'mon 'N Ride It
Break 1: Jukio "Kuabee" Kallio – Stage Hard (PixelJunk Monsters 2)
Ending: Sister Rosetta Tharpe – This Train

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, time flies. New episode already. Listening now.

Right off the bat, 2 things:

- Holy shit, John's pain sounds excruciating. Hope he feels better, and hopefully he doesn't have to go through that ever again. I recently made a conscious decision to stop using drinking as my default social activity, and I can attest that, while life is certainly no longer worth living, I do feel much healthier in the body and mind. Ginger beers / Ginger ales aren't so bad once you get used to ordering them as your go-to. Your liver & wallet will love you for it.

- Can't stop laughing at Mark's genuine bemusement during:
"Oh, you're the best man? Are you giving a speech? Can you give us a little... does he listen to this podcast?"
"Yeah."
"He does!!?!"

Ahahaha. I have the same reaction when people tell me they've read my research pubs.

Last edited:

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
first non-world cup podcast i'm listening to in a while not gonna lie

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
"Where was the excitement for smash"

Everywhere? It was one of the most tweeted about games of the show, and generated a shit load of buzz. Sometimes the people on this podcast seem horribly out of touch to the people listening.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I know its his schtick, but Mark talking over everyone else was extra grating this episode. Take a valium, dude.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
Great episode. My fav part was the call out about them sounding like old men when talking about Splatoon 2, because I was thinking the same thing.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i legit don't get them on their splat 2 non-getting-ness

it's so fresh

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Hype Train Appreciation

I wanted to state that the hype train (shoutout to the Quad City) DJs was one of the funniest things to listen to over the past few casts. I just introduced the podcast to my brother, and I specifically highlighted the hype train music as a positive. I was pleased to receive multiple "E3 hype traaaaaain" texts over the course of the week.

That is all.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hype is always more powerful than reality but it disappates faster

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I think the claims about the upcoming Pokemon Switch game not having mass-market appeal were way more out-of-touch than the Splatoon stuff.

DJmizuhara

Nov 20, 2017
Nagoya, Japan
I know exactly what you John went through as I went through a similar process of exacting my kidney stones. The hospital in Japan I went to didn't give me the option of sound option to break the stones. Instead they extracted my kidneys through my penis, in a procedure called Cystoscopy Male via Penis Surgery. That was PAINFUL! They numbed my body from the waist down using a massive needle into my spine, that wasn't fun and the feeling of the instrument being inserted into my penis and into my bladder is something I'd like to delete from my memory.

Cystoscopy Male via Penis Surgery

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
honestly i just got past the splatoon 2 section and despite mark's professed distant respect, constantly breaking into half-remembered squid gibberish felt more on the mean side of things than the hilarious

MrPablington

Oct 27, 2017
8-4 saying ghost of Tsushima doesn't look impressive, trees have infinite leaves and it will be bad without playing it... they might have jumped the shark.

Respect to Mark trying to bring back the conversation back to common sense.