• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
OP: I expect games on PS5 and Xbox Scarlett (not cross-gen PS4/PS5 games or cross-gen Xbox One/Scarlett games, built from the ground up for the new base console specs (it can be on PC as well) games that release in 2022+ had better look at least this good as far as in-game gameplay graphics, level of detail (polygons), lighting, animation, effects, post-processing, physics,etc.

DEEP DOWN from 2013/2014.

youtu.be

Deep Down Announcement Trailer

A fiery battle erupts in the depths of a dungeon. Watch it right here.Subscribe to IGN's channel for reviews, news, and all things gaming:http://www.youtube....

If the first generation of built-for PS5/Scarlett games start coming out in Late 2022+ don't have gameplay graphics and physics as advanced as Deep Down, I will be deeply disappointed.

No excuse, from a technical perspective, right guys?

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
20140220-dragonball-392ab91c1.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Compare DMC 5 on ps4 with DMC 4 special edition on pc. Compare red dead to gta 5.

There are 11 years between DMC4 and DMC 5, of course the latter looks better.
Your claim was hyperbolic, there's a difference between saying that 2019 games will pare in comparison with 2029 games and saying that they will also pale in comparison with 2021 games, because we all know, we ain't getting the DMC 4 - DMC 5 jump in 2021, with 2019 titles.

2022 will be the year for the true "NEXT-GEN" when everyone is jumping on the new consoles, 2020-2021 will obviously have a ton of cross-platform multiplats like in every generation transition.

Jan 21, 2019
There are 11 years between DMC4 and DMC 5, of course the latter looks better.
Your claim was hyperbolic, there's a difference between saying that 2019 games will pare in comparison with 2029 games and saying that they will also pale in comparison with 2021 games, because we all know, we ain't getting the DMC 4 - DMC 5 jump in 2021, with 2019 titles.

2022 will be the year for the true "NEXT-GEN" when everyone is jumping on the new consoles, 2020-2021 will obviously have a ton of cross-platform multiplats like in every generation transition.

Fair enough. But to me Next gen is the entirety of next gen. So saying Next gen will just be PC ultra is wrong two. Because PC ultra in 2012 is non indicative of current gen. But I agree, I expect the full transition and the wow moments to be reserved for 2022+ (Although I am still vowed by current gen games).

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
So, will the leap from current gen to next gen be bigger than the previous leap aka PS3/360 era to PS4/Xbox 1 era

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This is awesome.

So, will the leap from current gen to next gen be bigger than the previous leap aka PS3/360 era to PS4/Xbox 1 era

It won't. That was quite a sizeable jump and the average target resolution went from 720p->1080p while this time it's more like 3-4x jump, depending whether they'll be hitting native or reconstruction. Plus, we most likely will get around the same GPU boost.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I think Project Awakening is a great and realistic example of what RPGs developed with capable engines specifically for next gen systems can look like, anyone disagree?

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
This is awesome.

It won't. That was quite a sizeable jump and the average target resolution went from 720p->1080p while this time it's more like 3-4x jump, depending whether they'll be hitting native or reconstruction. Plus, we most likely will get around the same GPU boost.
It really wasn't, aside from RAM and GPU. Next-gen will have large improvements to everything.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It really wasn't, aside from RAM and GPU. Next-gen will have large improvements to everything.

Aside from the GPU? You know that's the key thing, right? And those GPUs had to bridge 2x resolution increase. Now, it's going to be like 3-4x and the jump will probably be even less. In addition, we're looking at 16GB of RAM, 2x as much, while next gen was 16x.

And even though Jag tends to be trashed all the time, it was around 3x as powerful as Xenon in X360. Ryzen in the most likely configuration will be... 4x to 5x as powerful as Jag in PS4/Xbone.

So, which jump was(will) be greater?

Oct 29, 2017
Ppl seem to think no way about 60 FPS standard and I kind of agree . In the sense that every game won't have 60 FPS option . I think majority of games will have a FPS mode with dynamic res

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Next gen will really only be marked by the proliferation of Unreal Engine 4 games, especially in Japan. Widespread adoption of UE4 will only give us more and more games 2 chew on

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
I think Project Awakening is a great and realistic example of what RPGs developed with capable engines specifically for next gen systems can look like, anyone disagree?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the current-gen consoles, except if you want in true-4K. On the graphical side we're already almost at the maximum possible on the human level. It would require too much work/people/money to try to do something significantly better that what we have now (in realtime) and also trying to prevent the uncanny valley effect.

I don't except much on the technical graphical side of the videogames for the nextgame, "just" more complex, richer, better simulated worlds (and i say "just" but it's already a massive work to produce). And i think this is something which can be more valuable to the games than just more being closer to reality on the graphical pov.

Ask yourself this question: do you want a game more like the tech demo such as the Samaritan or the newer from Unreal/Unity, or do you want more games thaught like Beyond Good & Evil 2, Star Citizen (or a deeper version of No Man's Sky) which try to create a vast universe, with planets which can have each their own style, with their won flora, with NPC behaving in a interesting way and each one with their own set of rules and where they can remember and react based on your previous actions?

Personaly i'm much more interested with the second one.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm gonna take a stab at it. If the best case scenario of next gen consoles is reaching 12 TFLOPs GPU (2x as much as xbone x)...

It takes 5.2-6 TFLOPs for xbone games to be native 4k from 1080p. Devs will then have 6GLOPs extra in their disposal for fidelity. I'd say we're looking at games with 5x more fidelity and at 4k than xbone games at 1080p 60fps. This doesn't count the next gen chips being much more efficient per flop than the 2012 chips that housed this gen. Could be 40-50%. So maybe the best case scenario is 7.5x.. and if it's mixed precision mode compatible, could be up to 10x.

Who knows. We'll likely get some form of ray tracing and there will be games that push 60fps framerate or fidelity more than meeting the 4k resolution.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
And from glancing over some of these next gen threads here on Era, I know I'm not only speaking for myself here. A lot of gamers here aren't blessed with the technical knowledge and have no clue what any of those confusing spec numbers actually mean.

So. Break it down for me (feel free to use dragonball terminology, I've watched the entire series so ill understand any metaphor šŸ˜‰)

How much of an improvement can we expect? Compared to PS3 -> PS4? PS2 -> PS3?

Too much text, not enough tech demos/ target renders/ "you can expect games to look something like this" in any of those Next Gen threads. lol.

Post some bullshots we can expect to be reality.
The jaguar cores this gen were failed mobile chips that were never good enough to actually work in mobile devices. They were technically 4cores but each core had certain parts duplicated so in some workloads they could function as two cores so they got away with being called 8 core.

Zen2 is a new microarchitecture that is one of the two current top of the line. It will have 8 fully complete cores that will be able to act as 16 logical cores (though the latter 8 "cores" will only perform at about 30% of the normal cores.

If Zen 2 is Perfect Cell, Jaguar was that farmer Raditz killed.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
??????????????????

Open world games more so than anything have benefitted from the technology that was allowed this gen. Devs legit made country sized open world games instead of more linear claustrophobic games. When I think claustrophobic I think games like the Order. Which is an outlier this gen.
True but next gen will mean even bigger, more intricate worlds than what we see now.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

This is UE 4 and they are ex DICE developer preparing a next generation game

I remember asking them the specs of the rig that was being used to render this (given none of them feature Ray tracing). Unfortunately, I never got a reply. Given it is running at 30fps, and the fact that things like Dynamic resolution and HW supporting VRS will most likely become mainstream solution to deliver consistent performance, I do not see those as being unrealistic targets.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And from glancing over some of these next gen threads here on Era, I know I'm not only speaking for myself here. A lot of gamers here aren't blessed with the technical knowledge and have no clue what any of those confusing spec numbers actually mean.

So. Break it down for me (feel free to use dragonball terminology, I've watched the entire series so ill understand any metaphor šŸ˜‰)

How much of an improvement can we expect? Compared to PS3 -> PS4? PS2 -> PS3?

Too much text, not enough tech demos/ target renders/ "you can expect games to look something like this" in any of those Next Gen threads. lol.

Post some bullshots we can expect to be reality.

CPU -

Much better physics systems for objects / destruction. Many more NPC's in cities etc without the Assassin's Creed Unity pop in šŸ˜

Many more games offering at least the option of 60fps modes.

GPU -

The usual generational leap in terms of character models, lighting, flashy effects. Many More games running at native 4k.

SSD -

Better streaming of large Worlds with much less noticeable "pop in" of higher quality assets as you get closer to them.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
people say a lot of things.

Looks great, but ultimately not much better than something like God of War.

I am expecting better.

Dudes the the demo on PS4 is already rated and it will be coming soon any day.

On topic the Chaos Engine is already available in UE4 and this should be by default possible to include in any next-gen UE4 game thanks to the CPUs:

And again this Unity demo is the closest idea of how graphics will look, at least if any AAA studio uses the new Unity:

First Party games will look better than this in the following years.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
CPU -

Much better physics systems for objects / destruction. Many more NPC's in cities etc without the Assassin's Creed Unity pop in šŸ˜

Many more games offering at least the option of 60fps modes.

GPU -

The usual generational leap in terms of character models, lighting, flashy effects. Many More games running at native 4k.

SSD -

Better streaming of large Worlds with much less noticeable "pop in" of higher quality assets as you get closer to them.

Nice.

I wonder what might be possible as far console hardware in 2028 that retails at $599.

assuming 9th gen goes on for a full 8 years without 10th gen successors.

So 10th gen consoles PS6 and XboxBeyond launch in late 2028 for $599.

What can we expect?

Multiple Chiplets fabbed in 3nm EUV,
use Gate-All-Around/Nanowire transistors

Zen 5
RDNA 4.0 successor GPU 50-60 TFlops.
64GB GDDR7 or HBM4
2TB/sec memory bandwidth

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Graphics means nothing to me, art style/direction is everything when it comes to visual presentation
All those power better create some great systems/mechanics that was not feasible with the slower Jaguar cores

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think FFXV and FFVIIRemake do a good job of showing what might be coming. Those two games look amazing IMO. Especially VIIR.

Imagine this but with a big world and towns. Look at the facial hair and the expressions on their faces. If games are just 1440p-2160p, but do these visuals for faces and particle effects and a big world and exploration and story. Idk what more I could ever ask for game wise for JRPGs or RPGs.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Games are going to look incredible, biggest upgrade will be the lighting. Dedicated ray tracing hardware alone is going to make last-gen games look extremely last-gen very quickly.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If ps4 can pull something like last of us 2

It really makes me wonder how next Gen can beat that

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
GPU is only one part of a machine when it comes to visuals as well just so you know....

the SSD, CPU upgrade GPU upgrade, RAM upgrade and bandwidth upgrades all work in concert with each other.

Its also important to recognize that the same tricks used for the iterative consoles will be used for next gen to eke out more advanced games, and that includes various framerates as well

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice.

I wonder what might be possible as far console hardware in 2028 that retails at $599.

assuming 9th gen goes on for a full 8 years without 10th gen successors.

So 10th gen consoles PS6 and XboxBeyond launch in late 2028 for $599.

What can we expect?

Multiple Chiplets fabbed in 3nm EUV,
use Gate-All-Around/Nanowire transistors

Zen 5
RDNA 4.0 successor GPU 50-60 TFlops.
64GB GDDR7 or HBM4
2TB/sec memory bandwidth

Don't wish your life away šŸ˜