• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It is funny, but if you'd rather remain in blissful ignorance, don't click the spoiler:

Following an accident in which he managed to run himself over, Brian explained to the press that he had been starving so had binged on three cheese and tuna mayo baked potatoes. He went to his mate's house, but couldn't turn his Merc around in the cul-de-sac. At that point, he got a wave of post-binge nausea and opened the door to be sick but tragically instead of keeping his foot on the brake he pressed the accelerator and fell out of the car, running himself over in the process. He woke up weeks later in intensive care.

See above :-)
Ah it was the same story. Forgot about the potato part

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They've definitely shifted since then.

Whatever you think of it now, Cameron's Conservatives at the time was all about moving into the centre ground, adopting green, socially liberal policies. There's been a noticeable shift rightward.

The 2010 intake was pretty Thatcherite.
He was lucky to have the libdems to get his way really.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the dumb question, but this seems to keep growing and I don't know enough about British parliament. At what point is this new party a decent size?
It's already getting 10% in polling, which is more than lib dems and they have as many members as the lib dems.
I repeated your thousands dying bullshit right back at you.
You don't think people will actually be dying in a hard brexit? In either case, what you did was deflect from any criticism of Corbyn.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's already getting 10% in polling, which is more than lib dems and they have as many members as the lib dems.

You don't think people will actually be dying in a hard brexit? In either case, what you did was deflect from any criticism of Corbyn.
You don't know there is documented thousands dying right now? You are arguing in bad faith so I'm doing it right back at you so you see it's ludicrous.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Wollaston joined up in 2010,the Tories haven't changed that much.

They have changed a hell of a lot. Austerity aside, the Cameron-Clegg coalition was an active governement that was broadly socially liberal, broadly pro-EU. Now, it's a party that strips a British person of their citizenship, against their own policy on dealing with this exact situaiton, to appease the baying masses of the hard right whilst aimlessly circling the drain on Brexit.

It's the party if Ian Duncan Smith once more.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They have changed a hell of a lot. Austerity aside, the Cameron-Clegg coalition was an active governement that was broadly socially liberal, broadly pro-EU. Now, it's a party that strips a British person of their citizenship, against their own policy on dealing with this exact situaiton, to appease the baying masses of the hard right whilst aimlessly circling the drain on Brexit.

I mean, don't give the Tories credit for the libdem's.

Oct 26, 2017
They've definitely shifted since then.

Whatever you think of it now, Cameron's Conservatives at the time was all about moving into the centre ground, adopting green, socially liberal policies. There's been a noticeable shift rightward.

Eh I dunno. Just because they changed their logo to a green tree doesn't mean they were doing that. Fracking, austerity and cuts to services all started with Cameron.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know there is documented thousands dying right now? You are arguing in bad faith so I'm doing it right back at you so you see it's ludicrous.
I'm not endorsing thousands dying right now, I'm not endorsing the independant group, I'm criticising Corbyn's inept handling of his own party and his loyalists' absolute dismissal of the idea that he could possibly do anything wrong to have lead to this point. And I'm arguing that in the context of a very real possibility of a hard Brexit coming up.

What you are doing is side-stepping that argument with a what-aboutism.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

It's the party if Ian Duncan Smith once more.
The same IDS whose policies you voted in? Including making benefit sanctions harsher in exchange for the bag tax?

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Apparently 6 more Tory MPs are expected to leave the party in the coming days. I'm thinking Amber Rudd might be one of them based on this (plus she has little to lose at this point).

Either way, I think we're going to have a slow drip of defections over the next couple of weeks.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apparently 6 more Tory MPs are expected to leave the party in the coming days. I'm thinking Amber Rudd might be one of them based on this.

Either way, I think we're going to have a slow drip of defections over the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, an election is on the way unless the commons is going to make the government suffer until the very end.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You think, seems Amber Rudd took one for the team, and got rewarded with another job from May. Think there is some loyalty there.

I do think she does seem like the leader type though so could be the face of the new party.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Receipts
j2tlPgF_d.jpg

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what May is doing right now. promising things to people so they don't leave but her word is worthless.....

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
You think, seems Amber Rudd took one for the team, and got rewarded with another job from May. Think there is some loyalty there.

I do think she does seem like the leader type though so could be the face of the new party.
Good point. And she has still had May's ear, though (it increasingly seems) not for much longer. I can see her jumping ship once there is nothing more she can do there, but who knows?

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Apparently 6 more Tory MPs are expected to leave the party in the coming days. I'm thinking Amber Rudd might be one of them based on this (plus she has little to lose at this point).

I really fucking hate Amber Rudd for both rational and irrational reasons... But, she'd make me take the new party a bit more seriously as a threat if she joined, being a somewhat known name.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

grab the tinfoil hats everyone

"big enemies" out there making everyone tired so they say racist stuff on live TV.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
TIG policy positions coming together:

Pro Austerity.
Pro cuts.
Opposed to renationalisation.
Against taxing the rich.
Pro tuition fees.

So, y'know, basically Tories.

Apologies for the dumb question, but this seems to keep growing and I don't know enough about British parliament. At what point is this new party a decent size?

So, a few things:

1) It's not a new party. TIG has not formally registered as a political party and is currently run as a Private Company (which conveniently means they don't have to reveal their donors or finances)
2) 11 MPs makes them the equal-third largest group in Parliament, behind the SNP, ahead of the DUP, and tied with the Lib Dems. All other parties are still dwarfed by Labour and the Tories though. Every minor party combined adds up to 45 MPs, compared to Labour's 247.
3) If any of them ran for re-election in a by-election they would all get crushed. There are no particularly big names or personalities amongst them. If TIG still exists in any form by the time of the next election I would expect them to get 0 seats.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not down for a pro EU Tory party, and I imagine most tories like being anti EU.

It's not very enticing.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Uh, I know the story here is supposedly Labour bracing for more resignations, but is anybody else a bit concerned that defectors might be taking this kind of data with them?

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
3) If any of them ran for re-election in a by-election they would all get crushed. There are no particularly big names or personalities amongst them. If TIG still exists in any form by the time of the next election I would expect them to get 0 seats.
Do you live in any of their constituencies?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
she oversaw Windrush. Does that mean nothing?

What did she do again, lied about knowing something, blamed the civil service who leaked the letter that she did know?

I don't think she is completely responsible for the whole mess, those cogs were long turning before she tried to deflect the issue, see May and before.