• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
They have changed a hell of a lot. Austerity aside, the Cameron-Clegg coalition was an active governement that was broadly socially liberal, broadly pro-EU. Now, it's a party that strips a British person of their citizenship, against their own policy on dealing with this exact situaiton, to appease the baying masses of the hard right whilst aimlessly circling the drain on Brexit.

It's the party if Ian Duncan Smith once more.

The coalition enacted austerity and have killed upward of 120,000 people as a direct result.

They were, and are, garbage.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You don't buy the idea that the Tories had a momentary lapse of nastiness, and a few years later suddenly turned insane for no reason out of nowhere?

For a brief moment, with the LDs help, they managed to hide it better than they have in decades, while enacting some of the most grotesque policies in decades.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They basically Torie light and seem fine with one of their members calling poc a funny tinge.
Yeah the more we hear about them this seems less like a centrist party and more just another right wing one.

If so, they splitting the vote might end up being far worse for the Tories than Labour next election (being incredibly generous and assuming they survive that long) despite Labour losing more MPs just now.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The Independent Business Group will ultimately be fucked under our FPTP system when the next election comes around. At least it'll be entertaining to see them trying their best to hide their "I've made a huge mistake" faces. In the meantime, I wish them luck in trying to tempt May into a People's Vote, but I'm not expecting her to budge.

Oct 25, 2017
they will all agree on standing for absolutely nothing
Calling them the Neoliberal Democrats is GOLD.

That is absolutely perfect, based on the current outlook at least

If so, they splitting the vote might end up being far worse for the Tories than Labour next election (being incredibly generous and assuming they survive that long) despite Labour losing more MPs just now.

That's what I'd hope but I reckon they'd draw rather equally. Still to early to call really. For now I'm just hoping they manage to muffle the voices of the ERG types, put pressure on a softer brexit/another vote and make the 'right' politics in this country a bit more palatable.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm just enjoying Huw's bout of Stockholm syndrome, I remember the libdem's used to tell us how terrible it would be if they didn't go into coalition with them.
Orange bookers destroyed the lib dems. Poor Charlie Kennedy.

They were positioned to the left of labour through the entirety of new labour then boom we love Tories now.

Oct 31, 2017
Ain't even lite, it's just minus brexit. Kinda funny chuka and co have given credence to the criticism about their leanings.

It's not even that minus Brexit! They have a vague commitment to a vote. If they were outright saying they would cancel the thing I could imagine them garnering some support. As it is, they are neither fish, flesh nor fowl.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
how many more tory Mp's would they need to trigger a GE, is it 7?

Rudd defecting would be massive. I can't see it though

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Lots of mockery but I'd rather see some MPs try and do something than nothing, even if it costs them their seat at some point.

Or you know, just let May and Corbyn keep doing what they're doing, it's going great.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Lots of mockery but I'd rather see some MPs try and do something than nothing, even if it costs them their seat at some point.

Or you know, just let May and Corbyn keep doing what they're doing, it's going great.

What exactly are they trying to do, that couldn't have tried to be done while they were Labour / Tory MP's?

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Corbyn can just do no wrong with some people huh? Not even saying that the IG are good people or justified, but even Labour's deputy leader understands why they left. Country literally on the brink of a hard brexit that could kill millions and you don't think he could have done anything to keep his party together? Is shifting leftward important enough to put lives at stake? Is shifting "leftward" even possible if you alienate everyone else? Do you really believe that these 8 labour MPs are the only labour MPs with that have a beef with the current direction of that party? If they were, they wouldn't have bothered defecting, they're the tip of the iceberg.

Not that I'm giving May a pass by any means, she's shittier for sure. But damn if some people aren't willing to give Corbyn a pass for literally anything.
I'm not giving Corbyn a pass, it's just that really this time is just about wankers being salty blairites that have lost support from the voters and therefore defected into a Tory Lite party

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

I thought you were questioning people on their constituencies, or did someone actually responding in the positive to your question deflate the point you were about to make?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is this doesn't do anything. Just in the conference earlier today with the 3 tory quitters they said it themselves that their voting pattern won't change. If anything this just creates more distractions so nothing is actually solved, lol.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I remember in the run up to the leadership election in 2015 leslie was shadow chancellor under harman, as soon as Corbyn won he resigned straight away.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is more insane

Random Independent group supporter telling me what Angela Smith said was her mimicking racists and not being racist.

Or Leslie saying they are out to get us?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Don't forget this shite when they were in the drivers seat

https://i./i/pix/2015/03/29/17/271B963200000578-0-image-a-82_1427644959007.jpg

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Because they never get called up on any of their own centrist shite, they've been able to maintain the image of being more left wing than they actually are.