• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1otAXv2rk&t=537s
With Xbox, I've heard from a very prominent company and one not so prominent that Xbox's performance in Europe is flatlining. You can follow our monthly coverage in the games market and you can see Xbox's sales are falling and it's fell all throughout last year and it's falling even harder this year.

The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

And with Xbox putting some of the games on PS5, I understand the majority of them will be coming across at some point, assuming, you know, it progresses as Xbox believes it probably will. I think Xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer. And that was the thing that came out of GDC for me, because I always just thought, I've always been of the belief that it is the Game Pass delivery system, it's got a good UI, it's got a good controller, if you like Xbox games it's probably the best way to play them, etc. I thought it would be fine but then I didn't really factor in that some developers and publishers might just go, yeah I don't, you know, is there any point? And that is when you can lose it.

I was watching Michael Pachter's podcast and he was talking about how it's all about GamePass for Xbox, yet I've actually been hearing that Microsoft's been putting less focus on GamePass.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
Yeah I mean honestly.. software sales are dire from what we know (annual/weekly reports) and data that isn't public. And that's without going into the hardware itself.

Edit: Btw OP in the same talk he mentions devs aren't too keen on the PS5 Pro which I think warrants being in the OP also.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
With xbox porting their own first party titles to PS5, some of this isn't surprising...but still somehow shocking.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
" The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

Excuse me? Like...damn.

SilentEagle

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Less Game Pass focus means they are on the right track. Selling games for 70$ if you can sell millions is better than day 1 on subscription services.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
With some third party games, I can see how it could become a situation where it's either get a Game Pass deal or it's not worth it.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
i 100% believe all the talk about the europe performance. it's atrocious. i don't believe the talk (or at least not when it's vague like that) about putting less focus on Game Pass since we have been on the best stretch it's ever been.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I remember the doom-and-gloom for PlayStation fans when the AKB acquisition was announced.

Crazy how quickly the mood can change in a couple months of hard data.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
But according to some "experts" releasing some games planned for PS5 only will increase sales massively lmao

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Outlook for the brand isnt bright at all, specially with pubs saying their market is PS5/PC
Yeah, honestly that's the major issue - publishers themselves questioning the worth of even making a port for the system.

Doesn't really matter what we as consumers feel or don't feel in regards to MS's path, if the folks actually making the games, the heart of a console in essence, start doubting you ( as in a platform, in this case) then you're kinda fucked if you don't course correct.

Schmitz

Jan 3, 2023
If I was running the number for publishers I think it would be hard to consider porting a game to xbox unless I had a gamepass deal in place. If they aren't focusing as much on gamepass then might as well discontinue the brand and just work it all under Activision.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced about the Series X + S sales being mediocre in Europe. I only need to see the abundance of hotukdeals posts on discounted and/or refurbed Series X's being on sale over the past 5-6 months to get an idea of how much MS need to shift.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
They were always going to stop burning money on GP, I don't know why anyone assumed otherwise.

Less Game Pass focus means they are on the right track. Selling games for 70$ if you can sell millions is better than day 1 on subscription services.
GP was genuinely good for consumers which automatically implies it was harming someone's bottom line. I don't know why so many here and in gaming media pretended otherwise lol..

" The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

Excuse me? Like...damn.
This is WB, right?

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
I feel like GamePass did more harm than good.

At a glance it sounds like a good deal, but in actuality I like having a wide digital library I can return to in years time, and third parties on Gamepass come and go every month.

The moment you get people used to the service and start making the offer even slightly less appealing (less games, too many delistings, higher cost), is when it will start falling apart. And I don't think they can ever go back to how audiences perceived their platform pre-Gamepass.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020

Excuse me? Like...damn.
It's going to be very funny if this turns out to be WB with Suicide Squad.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
would be sad if gamepass went away as it has saved me quite a bit of money. But if its more profitable for them to concentrate on other avenues (especially since they are the biggest publisher now); then they have to do what they have to do.

At the end of the day, its a business.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But according to some "experts" releasing some games planned for PS5 only will increase sales massively lmao
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, honestly that's the major issue - publishers themselves questioning the worth of even making a port for the system.

Doesn't really matter what we as consumers feel or don't feel in regards to MS's path, if the folks actually making the games, the heart of a console in essence, start doubting you ( as in a platform, in this case) then you're kinda fucked if you don't course correct.
Yeah, us talking and debating about it is one thing, but this? This is....something.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
After the recent news and how Xbox handled it, I immediately stopped investing any dime in the console brand to be honest. I genuinely feel it will not stick around for that long (as in beyond the next gen). I will use gamepass and maaaybe some DLC here and there, but that is the extent of it. There is always risk in buying digital, but if the writing on the wall is getting clearer and the company has no clear vision in adjusting trajectory, I am not taking further risks.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

Hmmm, not really.

Let's say you're selling 10 millions units of one AAA games at 70$, you're getting a one shot 700 millions $, maybe per year, that's great, but, with Game Pass, let's take 25 millions subscribers every month at 12$ (to get a middle ground), you're getting 300 millions every months.

If you do the math (or if I didn't make a mistake here haha), you would need at least 5 titles selling 10 millions units per year at 70$ to reach the same profit. I'm not sure it's easier and better business to be honest.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I really wonder why AA/minor publishers bother with Xbox ports nowadays without a GamePass deal.

The majority of Xbox consumers just do not buy those.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
We're already began seeing indie devs saying it's not worth supporting Xbox without a GamePass deal, so it really doesn't surprise me that this has began including some major developers too.

The pivot to releasing first-party games on PS5 just continues to make more sense with news like this, especially if you have a third-party publisher saying the market is only PC/PS5.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hmmm, not really.

Let's say you're selling 10 millions units of one AAA games at 70$, you're getting a one shot 700 millions $, maybe per year, that's great, but, with Game Pass, let's take 25 millions subscribers every month at 12$ (to get a middle ground), you're getting 300 millions every months.

If you do the math (or if I didn't make a mistake here haha), you would need at least 5 titles selling 10 millions units per year at 70$ to reach the same profit. I'm not sure it's easier and better business to be honest.
But they are also paying a LOT of money to put games day 1 there, and in the case of first party the whole development cost while people still pay the same subscription

May 25, 2019
London
After the recent news and how Xbox handled it, I immediately stopped investing any dime in the console brand to be honest. I genuinely feel it will not stick around for that long (as in beyond the next gen). I will use gamepass and maaaybe some DLC here and there, but that is the extent of it. There is always risk in buying digital, but if the writing on the wall is getting clearer and the company has no clear vision in adjusting trajectory, I am not taking further risks.

This was me but last winter. I pivoted away because while I was a big proponent of the idea of Game Pass, you can only tell people to wait for so long. XBox has been telling people to wait for games for almost the entire lifecycle of the Switch. Started buying more games on PS5 and been having a fine time.