• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
The "Trending" tab (not the "For You" tab!) on Twitter has 84 GB as the #1 trending topic because that is the size of the Modern Warfare 2019 update on Xbox One.

It's "only" 32 GB on PS4 and 45 GB on PC, but people just seem so frustrated with Infinity Ward's massive file sizes. Wonder how CoD 2020 will go in file and update size after all this criticism.

Update:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least the game itself will only be 4gb bigger once it's updated. Tiny silver lining.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I haven't bothered touching Warzone, the updates for CoD games are ridiculous and way too frequent.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
It's rich they announce they are working on making patches smaller on the same day they apply another car sized update. Now my car has 8 doors and two sunroofs, great. Love this game, hate this shitty Frankenstein stuff.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the time it will take for the "copying" process on PS4.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
This is one of my biggest concerns about next gen, I'm already buying games and not being able to play them on the same day due to download sizes, even if I buy physically.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
If they weren't waiving data cap limits right now I would just uninstall the game.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
32.375 GB for PS4. I played a bit of PSO2 and longed for the days of Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast because it's just not clicking with me. I want to find another Private Blue Burst server now :(

Jul 26, 2018
It's insane how much this is torturing consoles. Glad i've upgraded to PC honestly. I would never install such a large game on my consoles.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but at some point this is going to make people choose what games they buy. Having this eat up space is just annoying.

Oct 28, 2017
There's something about COD updates on Xbox. They always download at a fucking snail's pace compared to anything else. And then when it finally reaches 100% it has to stay there for over half an hour before properly installing.

This may be them moment I just say "fuck it" and delete the bollocking thing.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but at some point this is going to make people choose what games they buy. Having this eat up space is just annoying.
That's the not most annoying part to me. The game is not getting much bigger, it's just replacing files now. What is annoying is the size of the patches. 84GB! it's straight up incompetence from them.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on PC and I've had to resort to getting updates from a friend physically. At this point, maybe I should close the door and say goodbye to battle royale games in 2020. They've effectively locked out a good chunk of players who don't have the bandwidth to support such stupid decision making.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have to give warnings to my Warzone friends in the middle of the week, because if they are unaware of a big patch when the weekend comes, there will be no playing.

Fucking hell.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
84GB is about the size of Final Fantasy VII R. Like...the whole game.

What the fuck is Infinity Ward doing that they have patches this massive? Is the game just spaghetti code and uncompressed assets all the way down?

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
They need to get this shit under control. It's a good time to have on your console at all times for a quick game but not when it takes up so much space.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck is Infinity Ward doing that they have patches this massive? Is the game just spaghetti code and uncompressed assets all the way down?

Well according to Activision (per the tweet a few posts above) it's not supposed to be that big.

But also this patch contains a bunch of compressed stuff to replace stuff in there already. Hence why despite the patch being big (32 gb - 40gb seems to be actual size going by PS4/PC) the game will only actually get 4gb bigger, cause there's only 4gb of actual new stuff.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF... I unistalled the game at about 105GB.. becoming way too much to justify.... this.. batshit insane size.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up uninstalling the game for this very damn reason. Huge updates + big af install size.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Siege, which is a GAAS title with 5 years of support is still less than 85 GB at least on PC for example; the fact that Activision wants you to download COD MW MP and SP even if you only want Warzone it's pretty dumb.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The games total size is 187gb???? Shit in 5 years cods are gonna be 500gb big, might even break the TB.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
This is why I'm not excited about the next generation. All this bloat for what, textures and sfx with increasingly granular fidelity?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Platform holders should get some rules in place for next gen regarding patch sizes.
Hopefully they won't. Last gen Xbox 360 had a patching limitation that caused games like Silent Hill Remastered Collection not to have patches (PS3 version did). Switch also has a limitation for patches and sometimes it's a nightmare to squeeze anything into that. NBA Playgrounds devs said that it's way too small.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
COD: Modern Warfare Super Size Deluxe with fries. The game battles with it's expanding waistline, it defines the very world we live in!