• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
[rant alert]

I love SoaD, been listening to them since their debut.

Serj Tankian is an amazing vocalist, his range is nothing short of scary. He can go from singing to growling to this ear-piercing shriek at the drop of a hat.

I'm aware of his solo stuff, but I'm sticking to his group efforts here, which I think showcase his range a lot better.

On their first album it was primarily Serj doing the vocals, and the same on Toxicity, apart from maybe one or two tracks with their bassist (Daron Malakian) doing backup.

Then you have their stuff on Hypnotize/Mezmerize, half of which has him doing the lion's share of the singing.

And he's terrible at it.

Was there some behind the scene tug of war that lead to him getting more say in the songs? Is it part of why they broke up?

Who knows, but hopefully I'm not alone in feeling that way.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He does kind of sound like a moderately tone deaf goat at times.

... but it kinda works?

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I dont agree. Soldier Song was great with Malakian.

I didn't mind it, but I'd rather have just had Serj singing. I'll concede it's one of his least offensive attempts though. His voice in She's Like Heroin and Hollywood is like nails on a chalkboard, I can't bear listening to it.

I hear Serj in the background struggling to be heard over this clown, and it pains me.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah. Apparently him being a songwriting dictator is why they haven'r dropped a new song. Thing is in his lane Daron is solid, his new Scars on Record is good. But to leave such a talented singer like Serj as a #2 option, lol. its why the later records where he sung a large amount of the vocals are just good, but the Toxicity/Steal this Album sessions are GREAT

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I love Daron as the backup singer; I think he's fantastic as a backup. They work well together when Serj is the singer and he's the bassist, but I like him as a backup too.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Daron comes and goes. There are things I like his voice in but certainly it's a minority of songs. I wish he would stick to playing guitar and making weird noises and deep yelling rather than trying to sing lead.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I love Daron as the backup singer; I think he's fantastic as a backup. They work well together when Serj is the singer and he's the bassist, but I like him as a backup too.
That's all good and fine, I'm talking about songs where he steals the spotlight and just makes the song sound awful.

Yeah Daron comes and goes. There are things I like his voice in but certainly it's a minority of songs. I wish he would stick to playing guitar and making weird noises and deep yelling rather than trying to sing lead.

This too. He's a pretty intense screamer, like at the start of BYOB. God he can't sing, though.

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
Bassist?

But yeah, why you'd overlook someone of Serj's talent and have that voice as background only is baffling to me.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soldier Side is one of my favorite songs and his contribution to Hypnotize can't be overstated. They're both great and play off each other well. That's part of what made SOAD unique

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Soldier Side is one of my favorite songs and his contribution to Hypnotize can't be overstated. They're both great and play off each other well. That's part of what made SOAD unique
Have you heard their debut album? He doesn't sing at all on it, it's all Serj. Hypnotize is when he started getting involved, and by Mezmerize he's practically doing half the songs.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Mezmerize/Hypnotize >>>>> everything else SOAD.

Scars On Broadway > Any solo Serj albums (though I do like Elect the Dead).

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before that, their self-titled. And not really, it's one of the ones I cite above.

Click the link for Sugar, that's their first single. (The video won't play inline.)
I haven't listened to their stuff before Toxicity. I'm not a fan of Sugar. I find it kind of obnoxious to be honest. It's definitely not a song I would show people if I wanted them to appreciate Serj.

I really appreciate Lost in Hollywood because of Daron and Serj working together, in what I feel is harmonious beauty.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Mezmerize/Hypnotize >>>>> everything else SOAD.

Scars On Broadway > Any solo Serj albums (though I do like Elect the Dead).
I honestly haven't heard any of Daron's stuff, and I'm not a huge fan of Serj's solo work either(though I respect it), but putting the double album above their self-titled is madness to me. Their self-titled is a flawless album, every track is amazing.

I haven't listened to their stuff before Toxicity. I'm not a fan of Sugar. I find it kind of obnoxious to be honest. It's definitely not a song I would show people if I wanted them to appreciate Serj.

I really appreciate Lost in Hollywood because of Daron and Serj working together, in what I feel is harmonious beauty.

Fair enough, I do have an exhibit B though.

MUCH more melodic than Sugar, and it's my favorite song of theirs.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like Daron as a vocalist, surprisingly that was what he originally did before SOAD, while Serj was just keyboard.

However, he did become quite dominant with the later albums, which hinted at his increasing dominant role in the band in general (which probably led to the hiatus).

I ultimately still think their albums before the double were better. Steal This Album! is the very best of SOAD.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I like Daron as a vocalist, surprisingly that was what he originally did before SOAD, while Serj was just keyboard.

However, he did become quite dominant with the later albums, which hinted at his increasing dominant role in the band in general (which probably led to the hiatus).

I ultimately still think their albums before the double were better. Steal This Album! is the very best of SOAD.
It's probably my second favorite. it felt like a return to the self-titled era, and it has some great melodic tracks.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't heard any of Daron's stuff, and I'm not a huge fan of Serj's solo work either(though I respect it), but putting the double album above their self-titled is madness to me. Their self-titled is a flawless album, every track is amazing.

Fair enough, I do have an exhibit B though.

MUCH more melodic than Sugar, and it's my favorite song of theirs.

Spiders is a great song but I gotta go with Peephole as the best song off the self-titled. I like the weirdo circus vibe of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jekTxx76drA

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

I can't really get into self-titled; I've listened to Mezmerize/Hypnotize all the way through countless times. I don't hate Serj, I even went to see a solo show of his in London in 2012, but I dig Daron's zaniness. I haven't listened to the latest SOB album that much but the debut one was on repeat for me for years.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I go back and forth on which I prefer, but pre-Mesmerize and post-Mesmerize are 2 very different styles largely due to Daron. Depending on my mood, I like it more than the earlier albums.

I just wish they'd finally make some new ones already...I thought for sure with Trump getting elected, the one silver lining would be a new SOAD album.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about ruined, but songs where he's the lead are generally less fun to relisten to except old school hollywood

I go back and forth on which I prefer, but pre-Mesmerize and post-Mesmerize are 2 very different styles largely due to Daron. Depending on my mood, I like it more than the earlier albums.

I just wish they'd finally make some new ones already...I thought for sure with Trump getting elected, the one silver lining would be a new SOAD album.
You'd think Bush, Obama, and then Trump would have had System and Rage putting out new material, but here we are lesser for it

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

I follow Serj on FB, he's still very active politically, but I guess the System spark just isn't there anymore.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daron's increased use was one of the reasons the Mezmerize/Hypnotize project worked less. Don't get me wrong, both albums had excellent pieces on their own, but much of it felt like wacky for the sake of wacky, and there were a lot of B-sides passed off as album material (which makes sense, normally a band writes 20-30 songs and selects 10-15 for the album, here they selected 23). Daron's voice was never particularly good, but its limited and smart use gave the songs more variety and style. Once they started to have whole songs centered around him, it definitely fell apart. Lost In Hollywood is a good song despite Daron, for example, not because of him.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you for the most part but wouldnt say ruined. Now however the tables have turned and daron sounds much better than serj live (guitar playing has cleaned up a lot too). Serj clearly is done with music but darron has never been better.

I follow Serj on FB, he's still very active politically, but I guess the System spark just isn't there anymore.
Serj isnt happy that daron makes the majority of money off system so he isnt going to make a new one until that gets settled. However daron did write all the music for their albums so by and large he is the driving force behind the compositions even if serj's voice is what made them stand out

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I agree with you for the most part but wouldnt say ruined. Now however the tables have turned and daron sounds much better than serj live (guitar playing has cleaned up a lot too). Serj clearly is done with music but darron has never been better.

Serj isnt happy that daron makes the majority of money off system so he isnt going to make a new one until that gets settled. However daron did write all the music for their albums so by and large he is the driving force behind the compositions even if serj's voice is what made them stand out
The notion of someone like Serj being hung up on money more than the message isn't a pleasant thought, but rose-tinted glasses and all that, I guess.

I do agree that I never liked System live, they're all about the studio.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
He's fine, but there definitely was a jarring period where he transitioned from screams/grunts, to playfully whiny (I have no idea how to describe it), to a serious lead.

I think he worked out best when his high pitched voice was able to balance with Serj's lower, more powerful, range back then.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Now THIS is a position I can get behind

Daron's vocals AND his terrible lyrics are far surpassed by Serj's Stuff.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I kinda agree. Peak Daron was on Toxicity where he sang backing vocals and his voice added interest on certain songs where he was used as more of a 'special effect' for certain parts (i.e. the short acapella before the end of Deer Dance, the bridge of Needles etc). I do think he tried to take over from Serj too much later on and his voice isn't really good enough to carry a whole song like Serj.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of his tone in SOAD. It works sometimes, but mostly I don't like it.
...he's pretty good in Scars On Broadway though.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really agree. Self titled is probably my least favorite SOAD album. But I'm also weird and I think Steal This Album is the best SOAD album.

I liked Elect the Dead more then the first SOB album, but I haven't liked any of Serj's other stuff and I didn't bother to check out the new SOB thing

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
What?I like most of Mezmerize(got the album when it was released) and I really liked Lost in Hollywood.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Daron's voice & talent is obviously nowhere near Serj's, but their duets and harmonies work pretty well and many of my favorite SOAD songs have both of them singing.
His voice is nothing special at all but it just works in the context of SOAD perfectly well and I grew on it.

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I dig it, but it also helps that I listen to almost every SoaD song as if it were being sung sArCaStIcAlLy.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I kinda agree. Peak Daron was on Toxicity where he sang backing vocals and his voice added interest on certain songs where he was used as more of a 'special effect' for certain parts (i.e. the short acapella before the end of Deer Dance, the bridge of Needles etc). I do think he tried to take over from Serj too much later on and his voice isn't really good enough to carry a whole song like Serj.
This sums up my feelings. I didn't mind him on Toxicity at all, he works fine in small doses.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would agree to a certain extent, but Lost in Hollywood is fucking fantastic.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Serj Tankian is an amazing vocalist, his range is nothing short of scary

His voice can be annoying too though, there is something about it that you either love or hate.
I loved it at first but can't stand it anymore. lol

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Personally I always liked their first album the best and it doesn't have Daron on it at all but some of their later stuff with him is still really good. I think he works in smaller dosages the best, his part on "Hypnotize" for example. Lonely Day is dogshit though

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Personally I always liked their first album the best and it doesn't have Daron on it at all but some of their later stuff with him is still really good. I think he works in smaller dosages the best, his part on "Hypnotize" for example. Lonely Day is dogshit though

How can anyone listen this and say man this is "dogshit".
Ban this terrible user.