• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Can the buttons be swapped out to be like the more colorful Super Famicon? I thought that I read that it is an easy job, but I can't find it anywhere.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Can the buttons be swapped out to be like the more colorful Super Famicon? I thought that I read that it is an easy job, but I can't find it anywhere.
People have said that you can earlier yeah.
the buttons are identical to the oem SNES controller, so you can buy any replacement button you'll find on eBay etc. you can also buy a defect SNES controller and take the D-Pad and buttons out (I did that with my SN30 Pro).
I've replaced mine, but with the old black SN30's buttons because I wanted black concave X and Y buttons. I never got around to trying it with an actual Super NES/Famicom buttons.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
People have said that you can earlier yeah.

I've replaced mine, but with the old black SN30's buttons because I wanted black concave X and Y buttons. I never got around to trying it with an actual Super NES/Famicom buttons.

How did you open the thing? I only found the two Torx screws in the bottoms of the handles.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
How did you open the thing? I only found the two Torx screws in the bottoms of the handles.
Oh geez. It's been a while, but I see two screws below the sticker in the battery compartment near the top.

Also, I remembered the "flaps" on the triggers just pull right off. I think you'll need to do that too.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
My 360 PC controller is dying again, thanks to the sticks not staying centered any more. It's a bit early to test the SN30 for longevity but other than that how does it compare to the classic 360 pad in terms of feel? Worth switching for?

Saybrook

May 1, 2019
Cleveland OH
First post! Not sure where to post this but for those interested in connecting their 8Bitdo controllers in iOS 13, check this link:

"The long story short is that you have to pair it through Accessibility -> Switch Control -> Switches -> Bluetooth Devices while in Mac (start + A) mode on your controller."

I tried this with my SF30 Pro and it works! I am at the latest firmware level for that controller (v1.32).

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
The best unwritten feature is that each mode can hold a separate bluetooth address! XBOX mode is paired to my PC, Switch mode is paired with my Switch, DInput mode is paired with my phone and macOS mode is paired with my Macbook.
I didn't know that. I'll have to test it out. I'm guessing that if you just press Start it will default to whatever you use it on last?

Saybrook

May 1, 2019
Cleveland OH
I didn't know that. I'll have to test it out. I'm guessing that if you just press Start it will default to whatever you use it on last?
Hmm. I am not certain. I use my SF30 Pro with my Switch and PC (and now iOS!). There is a guide on the back of the controller for which face button to hold in conjunction with the Start button. I hold the combo whenever I start it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
More bluetooth devices need to do this.

Yeah seriously, I would be hard pressed to think of a reason why most devices are still limited to one pairing. It's a bit annoying that whenever I bring my PS4 controllers to friends each weekend we have to pair them and then I have to pair them again when I'm back home. I get that they likely don't want one controller to turn on multiple consoles but they could avoid this by letting you register a home console which will be the only console you can turn on with the controller.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
"The long story short is that you have to pair it through Accessibility -> Switch Control -> Switches -> Bluetooth Devices while in Mac (start + A) mode on your controller."

I tried this with my SF30 Pro and it works! I am at the latest firmware level for that controller (v1.32).

Huh. Weird roundabout solution, but good to hear it mostly works! Lack of MFi support is the sole reason for not grabbing more 8bitdo controllers. Really dig the design of some of them!

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Report back if it works for you! :)
I just tested it.
Both the Switch and my PC were turned on. SN30 Pro+ was last used with the PC.
Pressed Start, it connected to the PC.
Turned it off.
Pressed Y+Start, it connected to the Switch.
Turned it off.
Pressed Start, it connected to the Switch.
Turned it off.
Pressed X+Start, it connected to the PC.
Turned it off.

This is pretty awesome.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I just ordered one of these yesterday to use with my PC+Switch and was hoping it would easily pair between the two. I see you all are discussing that already. Glad it does.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I just tested it.
Both the Switch and my PC were turned on. SN30 Pro+ was last used with the PC.
Turned it off.
Pressed Y+Start, it connected to the Switch.
Turned it off.
Pressed Start, it connected to the Switch.
Turned it off.
Pressed X+Start, it connected to the PC.
Turned it off.

This is pretty awesome.

Nice that it works!

Lol, I just ordered one of these yesterday to use with my PC+Switch and was hoping it would easily pair between the two. I see you all are discussing that already. Glad it does.

Honestly 8bitdo should shout this feature from the rooftops! I'm sure you'll be happy with the controller :D

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Modded my 2 SN30 Pro+ with oem dpad a and buttons. Looks a bit off with the black case but feels better. The ball under the dpad is still smaller. The oem dpad rolls more because of the wider cone. It's not much but noticeable:

MeRQeil.jpg

4zky49n.jpg

Perhaps I change the buttons back, the black ones look better, but the originals are less clicks.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Modded my 2 SN30 Pro+ with oem dpad a and buttons. Looks a bit off with the black case but feels better. The ball under the dpad is still smaller. The oem dpad rolls more because of the wider cone. It's not much but noticeable:
Perhaps I change the buttons back, the black ones look better, but the originals are less clicks.
Interesting. I took mine apart just to look at them. I swapped my buttons out with the buttons from the all-blacked older SN30 so I could have them still look the same color, but while having concave X and Y buttons. I'm not sure I want to switch the dpad though. I like it enough as it is, and I don't like the way it looks with the grey dpad and everything else black.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I like it enough as it is, and I don't like the way it looks with the grey dpad and everything else black.

I don't like the look, but the feel. The original dpad from 8BitDo is also slightly higher so the OEMis a bit loose, not optimal.

The pad isn't too distracting, but the colored buttons are ^^

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, glad I learned about it. :) I just got my controller and set it up on my PC, Switch, and phone without any issues. Switching between them is a breeze. Controller itself feels great too!

Now you're living the controller dream, enjoy! :D I know it won't happen but I wish Microsoft and Sony would atleast consider multi-paring with their new controllers.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I also love switching between Switch, Super Nt and my PC, I'd love to have the controller to wake up the Switch, only thing missing.

I swapped my buttons out with the buttons from the all-blacked older SN30 so I could have them still look the same color, but while having concave X and Y buttons. I'm not sure I want to switch the dpad though. I like it enough as it is, and I don't like the way it looks with the grey dpad and everything else black.

I changed the dpad and buttons back. It worked on the SN30 Pro like a charm (with the OEM parts as replacement) but on the Pro+ the dpad sits too low (the ball of the dpad is slightly broader but narrower) and the buttons loose some of their responsiveness. I think it's due to changes with the conductive rubber pads. I thought about exchanging them with an OEM replacement but in the end I think you're right. The pads feel good enough and all black looks definately better than having the colored buttons.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Just got mine tonight and I think it's a great little controller. Solid dpad - by far the best of the options I have available for use with my Switch. Support for PC and iOS makes it very versatile as well. I'm going on a trip soon and I'll be bringing it along. It's neat and convenient to have one controller that can be used to play Celeste on Switch and Sayonara Wild Hearts on iOS.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
How is this thing with Tetris 99? I need a controller with a good dpad because the Pro Controller is trash and I want to play more Tetris while docked.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine tonight and I think it's a great little controller. Solid dpad - by far the best of the options I have available for use with my Switch. Support for PC and iOS makes it very versatile as well. I'm going on a trip soon and I'll be bringing it along. It's neat and convenient to have one controller that can be used to play Celeste on Switch and Sayonara Wild Hearts on iOS.

They added iOS support for this??

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so I can use my regular SN30Pro controller with my iPad as well?
Yeah. There's a post in this thread a bit up the page with the instructions. It's not quite straightforward (it has to be added as an accessibility switch) but it works.

Honestly I question the need of using the accessibility menu because on my iPad 2018 atleast doing it as instructed just brought up the normal Bluetooth menu as a sub-menu and my SF30Pro was always shown as "Wireless Controller" and never as "Dualshock" like in the instructions video. I think what's actually happening is that iOS has a hard time finding the controller during the sync stage and when the video was made the user just had a coincidence happen that it showed up right when they tried the accessibility search. But either way I might also be wrong and you might have to do it, bottom line is, once you get it paired yeah it works :)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if the regular Switch Pro Controller can also be added in the same manner as well (as an Accessibility Switch).

How is this thing with Tetris 99? I need a controller with a good dpad because the Pro Controller is trash and I want to play more Tetris while docked.
I bought the controller solely for Tetris 99 after becoming incredibly frustrated with Nintendo's Pro controller.

I can confirm the D-pad is the real deal and can handle all of the rigors without any issue. Very happy with the product.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the controller solely for Tetris 99 after becoming incredibly frustrated with Nintendo's Pro controller.

I can confirm the D-pad is the real deal and can handle all of the rigors without any issue. Very happy with the product.
Thanks. I've been scouring through reviews trying to figure it out lol.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
If you don't want to get this through Amazon, Best Buy is selling it (directly and through Google Shopping with a 20% discount).

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

MeRQeil.jpg

4zky49n.jpg

I'm thinking about replacing mine too, do you think the buttons from the snes classic version of the controller would work?

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm thinking about replacing mine too, do you think the buttons from the snes classic version of the controller would work?

The SNES classic controllers are different to the oem controllers and thus the 8BitDo's.

That's said, the SN30 Pro+ is also slightly different to the regular SN30 Pro, so I swapped it back.

The SN30 Pro works perfectly with the oem buttons once I also replaced the silicon and did the scotch tape mod. That's my favorite dpad followed closely by the Pro+.

I prefer both 8BitDos compared to the Switch SNES Controller, which don't have a home button and are useless in Tetris 99(you can't change the target) or Links Awakening (again the analog sticks are missing).

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The SNES classic controllers are different to the oem controllers and thus the 8BitDo's.

That's said, the SN30 Pro+ is also slightly different to the regular SN30 Pro, so I swapped it back.

The SN30 Pro works perfectly with the oem buttons once I also replaced the silicon and did the scotch tape mod. That's my favorite dpad followed closely by the Pro+.

I prefer both 8BitDos compared to the Switch SNES Controller, which don't have a home button and are useless in Tetris 99(you can't change the target) or Links Awakening (again the analog sticks are missing).
Thanks! Then I'm going to buy another oem snes controller to swap the buttons from (just have one here with me currently).

I really like the the colored buttons from the super famicom/eu snes controller, I think they would look great on the pro+.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then also take the rubber membrane from the oem ones (needs some trimming) to make it fit perfectly.
Nice to know that it is possible to do the swap with not to much work needed, I was a bit disappointed that 8bitdo didn't (I guess couldn't?) release a version with the color buttons like the original sn30 pro.
Here's my controller with the Super Famicom buttons from an old OEM controller.

L7p-EZ3o-d.jpg
Damn that looks so freaking good!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So I mainly play handheld and occasionally tabletop mode. Unfortunately my joy cons drift, I managed to reduce it by 90% thanks to wd40 contact cleaner. However, I'm currently looking for a pro controller and the Switch's pro controller is way too expensive especially with issues it has such as the D-pad and even drifts.

So I saw this controller and I got some questions if you guys don't mind answering:

1) Is the controller decent for smash? I mainly play handheld and managed to get into elite smash but I fancy playing with a bigger controller these days.

2) Is there some sort of attachment accessory to put the tablet above the controller?

3) What's your review on the controller?

4) Finally, I live in the UK, which is the best place/cheapest to buy from?

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So I saw this controller and I got some questions if you guys don't mind answering:

1) Is the controller decent for smash? I mainly play handheld and managed to get into elite smash but I fancy playing with a bigger controller these days.

2) Is there some sort of attachment accessory to put the tablet above the controller?

3) What's your review on the controller?

4) Finally, I live in the UK, which is the best place/cheapest to buy from?

1) I dont play smash that often

2) Yes, there's a "smartphone" clamp which attached to the SN30 Pro+. It's long enough to hold the Switch. There are also adapters 3dprinted for an even more convenient positioning.

3) It's the perfect controller for playing dpad centered games and it has an home button! 8bitdo frequently updates their controllers so any issue that might be identified will be fixed. For 3D games I still prefer the pro controller, your opinion might differ especially when you're used to a PS4 controller.

4) I bought it from Aliexpress including the smartphone clamp and a case for 40€ including shipping.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, works great even though I still think original Joy-con directional buttons are the king for Tetris. But the Pro+ is damn good too.

Been using one of these since launch. I sold my Nintendo Pro shortly thereafter. There's just no point when this exists.