• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Howdy, y'all. I'm going to include impressions of the 8Bitdo GBros. Adapter, which we just got in the office this evening, in Ars Technica's eventual coverage of Smash Ultimate. (No, I do not know when that will be.)

For those who've been following the adapter and are curious about its performance: I just played a bunch of NES games with a Wii Classic Controller connected wirelessly, and then the new R-Type Generations release with an old wired GameCube controller. Both held up to my input-lag scrutiny, possibly a hair faster than the Switch Pro Controller. The extra buttons on the top of the adapter double as "home" and "screenshot" buttons, which effectively makes this a superior Switch menu-navigation option than the USB-GC adapter (though, of course, you have the caveat of only one controller per adapter).

Random trivia: The adapter effectively tells the Switch that you're using a Pro Controller, whether you stick something into the Wii side or the GC side. If you plug controllers into both the Wii socket and the GC socket, the Wii socket takes priority. Also, its shape does *not* support the WaveBird adapter's GC plug. The adapter includes instructions for connecting to Windows machines via Bluetooth; I'll test that out later. (Gonna see how nicely it plays with my Android phone as a Bluetooth pad, as well.)

All in all, great first impression. Nice build quality, solid results. Do not take this as a review; I've only tested for roughly an hour of gaming. (The included micro-USB adapter is incredibly short, so I haven't bothered testing it with the Switch dock, if you're wondering.)
Thanks for the impressions. I didn't think that the wavebird adapter would fit givennthe images :(

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see that it seems to be a good product. Not surprising though, 8Bitdo usually deliver.

Looking forward to mine showing up alongside Smash, I'm so glad I can continue using my Classic controller for that game.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Howdy, y'all. I'm going to include impressions of the 8Bitdo GBros. Adapter, which we just got in the office this evening, in Ars Technica's eventual coverage of Smash Ultimate. (No, I do not know when that will be.)

For those who've been following the adapter and are curious about its performance: I just played a bunch of NES games with a Wii Classic Controller connected wirelessly, and then the new R-Type Generations release with an old wired GameCube controller. Both held up to my input-lag scrutiny, possibly a hair faster than the Switch Pro Controller. The extra buttons on the top of the adapter double as "home" and "screenshot" buttons, which effectively makes this a superior Switch menu-navigation option than the USB-GC adapter (though, of course, you have the caveat of only one controller per adapter).

Random trivia: The adapter effectively tells the Switch that you're using a Pro Controller, whether you stick something into the Wii side or the GC side. If you plug controllers into both the Wii socket and the GC socket, the Wii socket takes priority. Also, its shape does *not* support the WaveBird adapter's GC plug. The adapter includes instructions for connecting to Windows machines via Bluetooth; I'll test that out later. (Gonna see how nicely it plays with my Android phone as a Bluetooth pad, as well.)

All in all, great first impression. Nice build quality, solid results. Do not take this as a review; I've only tested for roughly an hour of gaming. (The included micro-USB adapter is incredibly short, so I haven't bothered testing it with the Switch dock, if you're wondering.)

Thanks, look forward to the review. Does wired gamecube controller support rumble feedback?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This is interesting. Being able to play 2d with SNES Classic controller dpad would be cool. And $20 isn't a bad price. Shame about no ZL/ZR mapping though... presents an issue for NSO.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think i'll get this instead of the gamecube adapter, it'll take less space and compatible with PC and maybe even future nintendo consoles.
This is interesting. Being able to play 2d with SNES Classic controller dpad would be cool. And $20 isn't a bad price. Shame about no ZL/ZR mapping though... presents an issue for NSO.

There must be some solution that Nintendo is working on since the Nintendo Online NES controllers don't have ZL/ZR either, and if no solution at least it won't be worse than the "official" controller.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Minus the wavebird thing this is shaping up to be fantastic. Thanks for the impressions.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017

This confirms it. Thank you for your impressions. Pre-Order placed.

Oct 25, 2017
This is not at all supposed to be viewed as annoying samred/Ars for something, but if the eventual impressions threads do come those of us interested in the adapter could be the ones to offer up clear and accurate examples.

For example, I routinely find existing 8bitdo SNES pads constantly miss corners in PacMan CE2, that would be my first acid test when I get my hands on this.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So my one of these just showed up, been playing a bit of Smash with a Wii Classic Controller and so far am really impressed. Everything maps fine (although an option to swap ZR/ZL and R/L would be nice) and there's no noticeable increase in lag over the other wireless controllers. Connecting it was super fast too, just pressed a button and the Switch instantly found it, it was a lot faster than what I've experienced with 8bitdo's other controllers on Switch.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Mine arrived in the post from Amazon yesterday.

Were there ever GC controller extension cords? I wonder if it'd be possible to use an extension cord and then hook up the Wavebird receiver to it...?

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017
So my one of these just showed up, been playing a bit of Smash with a Wii Classic Controller and so far am really impressed. Everything maps fine (although an option to swap ZR/ZL and R/L would be nice) and there's no noticeable increase in lag over the other wireless controllers. Connecting it was super fast too, just pressed a button and the Switch instantly found it, it was a lot faster than what I've experienced with 8bitdo's other controllers on Switch.

Actually, it's not documented on the little crappy instruction sheet that came with it that made me worry I had just bought a counterfeit, but the documentation online on their support page informs us that you *can* swap the zl/zr and l/r button functions! you hold l+r+a+b+start, and by hold it actually just means press all simultaneously, and you'll see the LED on the adapter briefly change to either green or red. Green is GCN configuration, red is pro controller.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
That's awesome. Too bad I already ordered and received my GameCube adapter so me and my kid can play Smash with the best controller.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
FWIW, I'm returning the one I received yesterday and going with the Mayflasg magic-ns. No matter what I tried, the Wii U pro controller wouldn't work, no solid blue light on the adapter. Was debating going with the mayflash anyway for the usb port and optional wired connectivity even though I won't use the wired option.

Drain You

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'll get this as all I want it to use my gamecube controllers in tabletop mode. I also may have missed an alternative in this thread. Gonna read the whole thread now though, but that does look sleek.

Edit:didnt even realize this was an old thread -__-

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, it's not documented on the little crappy instruction sheet that came with it that made me worry I had just bought a counterfeit, but the documentation online on their support page informs us that you *can* swap the zl/zr and l/r button functions! you hold l+r+a+b+start, and by hold it actually just means press all simultaneously, and you'll see the LED on the adapter briefly change to either green or red. Green is GCN configuration, red is pro controller.

This is awesome, thank you. I didn't realise this was a thing. I'm glad someone reads the manual (so that I don't have to 😉)

Good chance this would work with the Hori Battle Pad for Wii U?
It works, I've tried it out with mine!
I've had a weird issue with the right stick drifting but that might be the pad itself, I've not actually tried it on a Wii U for months.

I'll get this as all I want it to use my gamecube controllers in tabletop mode. I also may have missed an alternative in this thread. Gonna read the whole thread now though, but that does look sleek.

Edit:didnt even realize this was an old thread -__-
Don't worry, you didn't bump it, I did when it came out! Didn't really seem new-thread worthy to post impressions so I think this is the defacto GBros. thread for now.