• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This looks pretty neat!

I have two wired GC controllers and 5 wavebirds! I wonder if it'd be possible to connect a wavebird receiver to it and play using a wavebird...?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8bitdo is consistently the best 3rd party hardware manufacturer for Nintendo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
8BitDo confirmed to Ars that only one controller works with this adapter at a time. Meaning, you cannot connect both a classic GC controller and a Wii-connector controller and expect both to work on your Switch at the same time.

I was hoping that'd be a secret double-controller perk, but alas. Still a slick-looking and reasonably priced gizmo; what is lag like for other 8BitDo Switch adapters? I imagine that'd inform what to expect from this one.

Added to the OP.

Do you know what's the deal with the micro usb port? Because i don't think it has a battery inside (it has a slot for a standard AA battery), maybe it does work wired too.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This particular product isn't for me, but 8bitdo's industrial and graphic designers are absolutely fucking ace.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Holy shit. I still have a bunch of Gamecube controllers I wheel out for Smash Bros. This device is perfect for me.

EDIT: Oh it only has one port. Still cool but I guess I can't chuck out my current adpater just yet.

Kenagain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused about the 1 controller part, if I buy four of these can I use them all at once for smash? Or only one at a time?

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Pre ordered, but I want to see a review on the lag before this thing ships I hope. I wonder how bad it'll be with my wavebird

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine ordered, i already have the wired adapter, but this is neat. $20 is pretty cheap too.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Really cool. Too bad about the ZL/ZR buttons though. This would be great for the NSO NES games if it had that function.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Read this if you own the 8bitdo brick block adapter! (8bitdo makes no mention of this ever for some odd reason, and I found out by a review on Amazon when I bought it)

If you have the brick block 8bitdo adapter (the one that supports PS4 and others) you can connect a Wii Remote and plug your controllers (NES Classic, SNES Classic, Wii Pro controller etc) into it and it works perfectly. It doesn't have ZL/ZR, but neither does this. Don't try to plug a Nunchuck tho because it just spams random buttons for some reason.

Just saying this so you don't buy this just for an NES classic controller or something, and already have the old adapter and a Wii remote.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Pre ordered my copy.

But have a question regarding this working on the Switch. Can Nintendo block usage of this via future firmware updates?

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Pre ordered my copy.

But have a question regarding this working on the Switch. Can Nintendo block usage of this via future firmware updates?

All 3rd party accessories have this potential issue. I hear 8bitdo is good on releasing updates to keep up with Nintendo on their controllers though so I'm less worried personally.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
So theoretically I could plug my Wavebird dongle into this dongle and be fully wire free?

AnthPerri

Jan 11, 2018
They are really killing the design game lately. Lovely little throwback touches all over this thing.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
They show it being used with NSO NES games, but neither this adapter or the SNES and NES Classic controllers have ZL and ZR, and you can't use those buttons on controller 2 to access the settings either, so that's kind of false advertising. If your controller doesn't have ZL and ZR, you can't do everything you need to do in NSO NES.
Nothing stopping you using those pads as a 2nd player though surely?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
People need to start lining to AmazonSmile

Also, it's not up for preorder anymore

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know if you keep a real Switch controller linked as 2P and use the Z buttons to pull up the menus for the NSO games? Not ideal but at least workable.

Speaking of that - how will the upcoming new NES controllers from Nintendo themselves handle the menu issue?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wish someone would come up with an adapter so I could use my NES Classic Controller on my actual NES hardware.

Still might nab this to play the Switch Online NES games, assuming it works.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would there be too much lag if I use my USB controllers with a USB micro adapter?

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly not a fan of how the rest of 8bitdo's stuff works on Switch. Tried an NES30 and got a pretty significant amount of input lag, enough to where playing Sonic Mania wasn't fun at all.

Will probably just go with the official wired adapter for Cube controllers. I don't really need to use them when undocked anyway.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
They do? It sure doesn't look like it unless they are not labeling the buttons correctly: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/special-offers/

I'm sure they will work (they must, right?) but I'm not 100% certain how it will be done unless you have the official word.
oh I see, was thinking it was the needed buttons for the shortcut anyways, need to get home to see but should be able to do it with L+R as well, because that's the point of those 2 shoulder buttons on the NES controller for switch

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
In case anyone was wanting to order one of these and missed it. They are currently back in stock for preorder on amazon.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this seems legit. I'm curious how well it would work on Dolphin emulator..

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Already bought the 8bitdo USB Bluetooth Adapter so I could use my Wii Taiko Drums on the Switch, but the lack of button remapping kills that dream.

If this has button remapping I'll buy four :|

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love them to build a scruffy little dongle to attach with multiple adaptors on it, because my original pads are still going strong .

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Surely you still need the adapter?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd need the wavebird adapter.

That said, looking st the pics...I'm not sure the wavebird dongle would fit. The connector would obviously fit, but look at the way the plastic around it recedes in a chunk. Unsure if it'd work. Fingers crossed it does.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has gotten shipment confirmation from Amazon.

We're getting down to the wire here (no pun intended).

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Howdy, y'all. I'm going to include impressions of the 8Bitdo GBros. Adapter, which we just got in the office this evening, in Ars Technica's eventual coverage of Smash Ultimate. (No, I do not know when that will be.)

For those who've been following the adapter and are curious about its performance: I just played a bunch of NES games with a Wii Classic Controller connected wirelessly, and then the new R-Type Generations release with an old wired GameCube controller. Both held up to my input-lag scrutiny, possibly a hair faster than the Switch Pro Controller. The extra buttons on the top of the adapter double as "home" and "screenshot" buttons, which effectively makes this a superior Switch menu-navigation option than the USB-GC adapter (though, of course, you have the caveat of only one controller per adapter).

Random trivia: The adapter effectively tells the Switch that you're using a Pro Controller, whether you stick something into the Wii side or the GC side. If you plug controllers into both the Wii socket and the GC socket, the Wii socket takes priority. Also, its shape does *not* support the WaveBird adapter's GC plug. The adapter includes instructions for connecting to Windows machines via Bluetooth; I'll test that out later. (Gonna see how nicely it plays with my Android phone as a Bluetooth pad, as well.)

All in all, great first impression. Nice build quality, solid results. Do not take this as a review; I've only tested for roughly an hour of gaming. (The included micro-USB adapter is incredibly short, so I haven't bothered testing it with the Switch dock, if you're wondering.)

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy, y'all. I'm going to include impressions of the 8Bitdo GBros. Adapter, which we just got in the office this evening, in Ars Technica's eventual coverage of Smash Ultimate. (No, I do not know when that will be.)

For those who've been following the adapter and are curious about its performance: I just played a bunch of NES games with a Wii Classic Controller connected wirelessly, and then the new R-Type Generations release with an old wired GameCube controller. Both held up to my input-lag scrutiny, possibly a hair faster than the Switch Pro Controller. The extra buttons on the top of the adapter double as "home" and "screenshot" buttons, which effectively makes this a superior Switch menu-navigation option than the USB-GC adapter (though, of course, you have the caveat of only one controller per adapter).

Random trivia: The adapter effectively tells the Switch that you're using a Pro Controller, whether you stick something into the Wii side or the GC side. If you plug controllers into both the Wii socket and the GC socket, the Wii socket takes priority. Also, its shape does *not* support the WaveBird adapter's GC plug. The adapter includes instructions for connecting to Windows machines via Bluetooth; I'll test that out later. (Gonna see how nicely it plays with my Android phone as a Bluetooth pad, as well.)

All in all, great first impression. Nice build quality, solid results. Do not take this as a review; I've only tested for roughly an hour of gaming. (The included micro-USB adapter is incredibly short, so I haven't bothered testing it with the Switch dock, if you're wondering.)

You are a saint.

Thank you.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

Sounds awesome!
Thanks for the impressions!