• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
81AIg%2BsEajL._AC_SL500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1KP9GT/?tag=era0f0-20
Don't want it until they make a banana yellow version.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
So these are larger than a standard snes controller right? Does anyone have a comparison pic between this and the non pro version of sn30 or sf30?

I put it back to back with the base SN30 and it's the same overall footprint. Thickness varies a bit at points due to triggers and analogs, obviously, but outside of those slight bulges it's the same.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I asked about this too. Still no impressions from those who already have it?
I havent had an issue with either controller, what specifically have you seen/had issues with?

The new one runs great with my eu snes classic, I had to update both the controller and my wireless adapter. The new one is slightly thicker at the bottom where the thumbsticks are versus a real snes controller, but i dont notice it unless im feeling for the bumps

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man that's small... :-(

So these are larger than a standard snes controller right? Does anyone have a comparison pic between this and the non pro version of sn30 or sf30?
The controller is more or less identical in size to the original snes controllers. The difference is the area the D-pad and face buttons are centered on is shifted up slightly to accommodate the analog sticks. But their size/shape/spacing is the same.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
I've had great experiences with my prior 8bitdo controllers. No reason to think there's gonna be any latency/lag problems with these. Sometimes i feel like people are placebo effect convincing themselves there's lag when there isn't just because they expect it.

Oct 25, 2017
I can happily report now that Firmware v1.20 has put the vibration within the realm of normal vibration noise instead of the previously intolerable dot matrix printer. It's still a little on the loud side compared to what you get on another controller, but at least it's within what I would consider normal. This firmware update is a must.

Nov 8, 2017
I can happily report now that Firmware v1.20 has put the vibration within the realm of normal vibration noise instead of the previously intolerable dot matrix printer. It's still a little on the loud side compared to what you get on another controller, but at least it's within what I would consider normal. This firmware update is a must.

Can you confirm that it still can't wake up the switch remotely? It's going to really kill my enthusiasm if I have to wake up my Switch with a physical press every time I use it docked :/

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Spending more time with it playing SNES, N64, GBA and PSX games. This is my go to emulation controller

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I havent had an issue with either controller, what specifically have you seen/had issues with?

The new one runs great with my eu snes classic, I had to update both the controller and my wireless adapter. The new one is slightly thicker at the bottom where the thumbsticks are versus a real snes controller, but i dont notice it unless im feeling for the bumps
I just heard that previous controllers suffered from a dpad with bad/sensitive diagonals. Kind of like that problem with the Switch Pro controllers.

That's great to hear though. Ordered the sf30 pro just now on Amazon, looking forward to using this with my Shield Portable.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If you only want it for Switch you are gonna have to deal with some tiny latency because of bluetooth. on PC you can do wired. Personally i had no issues with latency on Switch with my nes30pro. Take that how you will.

I had planned to use it for Switch, Super NT, SNES, PC etc.
I might give it a shot anyways as I know someone who wants one as well (sell it if I hate it).

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I've had great experiences with my prior 8bitdo controllers. No reason to think there's gonna be any latency/lag problems with these. Sometimes i feel like people are placebo effect convincing themselves there's lag when there isn't just because they expect it.

There was definitely lag with the earlier firmware on the SF/SN30 controllers. This was addressed with firmware updates. But this was not definitely placebo. You may have received a controller that already had the newer firmware on it, or are not as sensitive to input lag. But regardless, this was not a made up thing by users.

spydersvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
So does this new models dpad give bad button presses like the Switch Pro Controller does?

I have the SF30 Pro and I can confirm it's very responsive. I'm on the newest firmware and was able to complete Blaster Master Zero, Wonderboy and the Dragon's Curse, Gunvolt Burst, and plenty of accuracy in Ultra Street Fighter II. My SFC30 Pro has shipped and should arrive today, but I played it at E3 and found the d-pad consistent, if not better, than the SF30 Pro. Solid buttons, solid d-pad, no lag, very happy. Also these are $20-$30 cheaper than a Nintendo pro controller.

Nov 8, 2017
I plan on getting one of these soon. Besides updating the firmware is there anything in particular I should be aware of configuring?

Deleted member 3769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the SF30 Pro and I can confirm it's very responsive. I'm on the newest firmware and was able to complete Blaster Master Zero, Wonderboy and the Dragon's Curse, Gunvolt Burst, and plenty of accuracy in Ultra Street Fighter II. My SFC30 Pro has shipped and should arrive today, but I played it at E3 and found the d-pad consistent, if not better, than the SF30 Pro. Solid buttons, solid d-pad, no lag, very happy. Also these are $20-$30 cheaper than a Nintendo pro controller.

SFP30 PRO is not the same as SF30PRO?

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on getting one of these soon. Besides updating the firmware is there anything in particular I should be aware of configuring?
I had a pretty big issue when I upgraded the firmware on the 1.10 firmware before 1.2 came out. When I first upgraded my firmware on my windows 10 pc everything went fine. Then I saw update 1.20 out so I downloaded it. Then I put the controller in update mode and hooked it up to my pc, when I went to load in the firmware I accidentally chose version 1.10 that was already on my controller and I disconnected it to try and put it into update mode again but the controller was non responsive. I kept holding the power button down and plugged it into my pc but windows kept reporting that the controller was malfunctioning. I had to run some errands and I came back about 2 hours later to fix this thing and I was able to get it back Into update mode which took about 10 attempts of holding down the L+R+Start and the orange light finally went on. When I upgraded it to 1.20 it said the previous version of the controller was 0123456789. I guess trying to flash the firmware with the current firmware might corrupt the firmware.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Or just literally walk up to the system and tap the power button...?
Is it possible to keep the Joy Con or Pro Controller nearby, hold Home on that, then turn on and connect the SF30 Pro then? It's a little obnoxious but it lets you avoid walking over.

And since it wasn't answered earlier: how do the shoulder buttons compare to the shoulder buttons on the Joy Cons when used as a complete game pad?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If it can't be synced like a regular Pro controller and essentially replace it, it really does lose a lot of the appeal.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody tried this with Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Seems like the only buttons that work on that game are the Screenshot button and Home button.

EDIT: Nvm, only seems to happen while the switch is in portable mode WITH the joycons attached. If you remove the joycons or dock it then the SN30 works as expected.

Last edited:

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody tried this with Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Seems like the only buttons that work on that game are the Screenshot button and Home button.

EDIT: Nvm, only seems to happen while the switch is in portable mode WITH the joycons attached. If you remove the joycons or dock it then the SN30 works as expected.
This is a problem with the official Pro Controller too. A bit exasperating!

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this today in the mail. Decided to try this out on Zelda. Played a motion control shrine puzzle, and noticed the motion control wasn't working on the SF30 Pro. Anybody else notice this? I'll try again in the morning.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Amazon delivered my SF30 controller today, can't wait to give it a go. Have done the firmware upgrade so it's ready to go.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Do these new models mean that D-Pads are fixed on the old models?
Well, got my sf30 pro. For the record, I never owned the previous sf30/sn30 (or even remember how an actual snes controller feels) so I have no point of reference, but I do know how bad dpad diagonals are with my Shield Portable. This one isn't as bad as my Shield Portable, but I can still make it misfire diagonals after applying a bit of pressure up or down when pressing left/right. Can't tell at the moment if it's bad enough to cause issues with games that rely on the dpad though, need to test it out more.

The controller feels good to use, but usage of extra buttons and functionality (analog sticks, shoulder buttons) can feel a bit cramped. I tried playing Destiny 2 with it on my PC and it started to feel uncomfortable to use only after a few minutes.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you're talking about. Sonic Mania has the same problem. The Switch prioritizes the docked Joy-Cons and they're always "Player 1" ... Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will keep the the Pro Controller connected but all of the inputs are ignored except for the screenshot and home menu buttons.

Some games like Kamiko and Shantae will just bring up the system level controller assignment prompt. Some games work seamlessly. Heck, Fire Emblem Warriors will ignore the Joy-Cons and only take inputs from the Pro Controller if the game's booted up with that controller. It really is YMMV. It doesn't sound like Nintendo required this in QA.

Yea. Kind of a pain. I just make sure to always adjust order before playing.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I can't update the firmware, follow the instructions etc but when I plug in the joypad via USB the USB update box is greyed out, pc seems to recognise the controller though, any ideas ??