• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
I've been pretty happy with 8bitdo controllers over the years. But i received my SN30 pro today and I'm really not a fan of the dpad. It's giving me more accidental up and down inputs (when tapping left and right) than even my pro controller. Never noticed this with previous 8bitdo entries. :/

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Well, got my sf30 pro. For the record, I never owned the previous sf30/sn30 (or even remember how an actual snes controller feels) so I have no point of reference...

See that's a huge issue. For those of us who still regularly use the SNES controller, would need someone who uses one to see how well the sn/sf30pro's dpad holds up.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I think like with the Switch Pro Controller I'll want to wait and see here how things shake out and if the design is refined subtly later as the case seemed to be with the XB2 controller (at the least it gave me no serious issues, worst is how it FEELS like it may press diagonally when I didn't want to but it doesn't actually register that way, which is something I had with the prior Wii Pro Controllers.)

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else tested the sn30 pro on the input tester? I was quite disappointed that mine seemed to perform even worse than the pro. Wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same.

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
I know it's not really the right thread for it but I'm having trouble connecting my SFC30 to the Retro Receiver plugged in to the SNES Classic Mini.
The receiver has been updated to v1.08 and the SFC30 to v4.01
What I'm doing is plugging in the RR and pressing the little red button and then holding the start button on the SFC30 until it flashes blue.
It then just keeps flashing and never turns solid blue.
What am I doing wrong?

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone else tested the sn30 pro on the input tester? I was quite disappointed that mine seemed to perform even worse than the pro. Wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same.

I have the SFC Pro not sure if there is a difference between the 2. I have upgraded to the latest firmware where the rumble issues have been resolved. And the controller has been working great for me. No input lag, and no in precise button pressed. I played a fair bit of King of Fighters 98 to test the D Pad on a fighter. Then I also played a bit of Sonic Mania. Finally I played some Mario Kart using the analogs too.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
I have the SFC Pro not sure if there is a difference between the 2. I have upgraded to the latest firmware where the rumble issues have been resolved. And the controller has been working great for me. No input lag, and no in precise button pressed. I played a fair bit of King of Fighters 98 to test the D Pad on a fighter. Then I also played a bit of Sonic Mania. Finally I played some Mario Kart using the analogs too.

Can you try it out on the input tester (in the settings) and rapidly tap left/right and see if you get unwanted up and downs? I had a bunch.

Oct 30, 2017
Can you try it out on the input tester (in the settings) and rapidly tap left/right and see if you get unwanted up and downs? I had a bunch.

I'll do it tommorow as I don't have access to my Switch right now. Even if it fails the test I don't think I would be fussed but I'll still give it a shit for curiosity. But in terms of real world performance and actually playing games with it, it worked fine for me.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Messed around with it more, had a ton of unwanted presses playing PPT. I'm done. I've initiated an amazon return on this thing.

I love 8bitdo and will monitor to see if these are improved. But this controller is a mega disappointment. And at a not cheap $50, it's getting returned.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Anyone having any issues with charging the controller? I can't seem to get a status on the battery life, have been using it the past 3 days and the console still shows full battery, when I plug in the charger the lights flash and then go solid but it never leaves a solid state, the website says the light will turn off when it's charged but this isn't happening, when I unplug the control I have to hold L+R+Start and then after a few seconds the light turns off.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having any issues with charging the controller? I can't seem to get a status on the battery life, have been using it the past 3 days and the console still shows full battery, when I plug in the charger the lights flash and then go solid but it never leaves a solid state, the website says the light will turn off when it's charged but this isn't happening, when I unplug the control I have to hold L+R+Start and then after a few seconds the light turns off.
I'm having a similar issue. Looks like 8bitdo rushed these firmwares out to fix the vibration on the controller.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
So switched USB cables and used the one that came with the pro controller, guess what the firmware update worked, thanks guys for the tips

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Messed around with it more, had a ton of unwanted presses playing PPT. I'm done. I've initiated an amazon return on this thing.

I love 8bitdo and will monitor to see if these are improved. But this controller is a mega disappointment. And at a not cheap $50, it's getting returned.

This was my fear with a new 8bitdo product. I have the N30 Pro and it does the same thing with incorrect inputs. I haven't tried it with the Switch but certain games on the PC can be frustrating because of this.

Nov 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to pick one of these up, maybe not the SNES design but one of the others made by the same company.

I have the splatoon 2 pro controller and I love it, but I have experienced the pad issue (registers wrong inputs) while playing zelda, am I was worried that when more retro games hit the eshop I'll have trouble with platformers and other games that benefit using the dpad.

I've been playing Rayman recently and I've been using the dpad and honestly didn't have the problem at all. I would love to keep playing all my games with the pro controller, but these controllers look so awesome I'll no doubt pick one up.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Dammit I Can't use my sfc30 pro with a retro receiver to use it with my snes mini.
Both are at the latest firmware but when i try it on the snes nothing happens

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to pick one of these up, maybe not the SNES design but one of the others made by the same company.

I have the splatoon 2 pro controller and I love it, but I have experienced the pad issue (registers wrong inputs) while playing zelda, am I was worried that when more retro games hit the eshop I'll have trouble with platformers and other games that benefit using the dpad.

I've been playing Rayman recently and I've been using the dpad and honestly didn't have the problem at all. I would love to keep playing all my games with the pro controller, but these controllers look so awesome I'll no doubt pick one up.

NES30 Pro has a good D-Pad and it's the perfect travel controller. I find it good for fighting games.

The SNES30 is the choice retro pad, the controller is a perfect recreation of the original.

Nov 8, 2017
My SF30 Pro has arrived and after updating to the latest firmware, the rumble seems "fine" on the Switch but is still quite loud on PC when I was playing RE4 with it.

The real killer though is that the up-right diagonal seems to be fucked. The other 3 diagonals I can hit reliably, but up and right seems to be extremely intermittent. Is anybody else experiencing similar issues, with any of the diagonals on the d-pad? I wouldn't notice if I was playing something like Shovel Knight, but I was doing The Mummy Demastered and 8 way aiming is very common and important for left-to-right scrolling when you need to get off precision shots.

tsumineko

Oct 28, 2017
I got my SN30 Pro yesterday, played some emulator games on my MacBook, some Switch games (Zelda, Sonic Mania) and it's really great. My favourite controller, but with some analogue sticks tacked on. Super happy!

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
My SF30 Pro has arrived and after updating to the latest firmware, the rumble seems "fine" on the Switch but is still quite loud on PC when I was playing RE4 with it.

The real killer though is that the up-right diagonal seems to be fucked. The other 3 diagonals I can hit reliably, but up and right seems to be extremely intermittent. Is anybody else experiencing similar issues, with any of the diagonals on the d-pad? I wouldn't notice if I was playing something like Shovel Knight, but I was doing The Mummy Demastered and 8 way aiming is very common and important for left-to-right scrolling when you need to get off precision shots.

I'm having some issues with my up-right diagnol as well. Playing a few fighting games I found myself jumping straight up when I wanted to jump forward. A little disappointing because otherwise I love the controller.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for the impressions, I owned the previous one and had the same issues, sad to hear it's not fixed. You saved me a purchase though so thank you.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love mine. Flawless extra controller for Switch. Has all inputs, gyro feels the same, charges with USB-C so you don't need new cables. Even has the little light to show you which controller position it's in.

Great pad, and a legitimate Pro controller replacement if you like the feel of a SNES controller.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
When I first got mine it had issues with powering off if it failed to sync before the power buttons were released - sometimes. It was a really weird bug and I was going to return it, but the latest firmware update resolved all of those issues.

The D-pad is great for 2D platformers and stuff. The diagonals are really easy to hit (which is a good thing for platformers), and I haven't personally had issues with misfired inputs. It may well be different for puzzle games, but for everything I've been using it for it's excellent, and much better than playing with the Joycons (I don't have a pro-controller).

The analogs are also comfortable, and it's really nice for Zelda and Mario. I would never want to play a shooter on it, as the lack of "handles" makes holding it with thumbs on both analogs and fingers on triggers feel a bit awkward to my hands, but that's fine because I prefer detached Joycons to anything else when playing Splatoon 2. If I were going to play a shooter with no gyro aiming support, I would probably have to get a pro controller.

The only complaint I have is the rumble. It's not HD, but that's not the problem. The problem is that it seems to be unable to interpret the HD rumble cues with any degree of granularity whatsoever. Any rumble pulse which should be a momentary blip makes it buzz for about half a second. This is usually fine, but some developers have gone pretty wild with HD rumble, and so the thing is just constantly buzzing and throbbing in your hands. For example, in Wonder Boy, moving the cursor in the menus caused it to buzz for half a second for each "tick." In Steamworld Dig 2 every time you hit something with your pickaxe it buzzes for a second.

One final note is that it seems that using it in tandem with other controllers causes the 8bitdo controller to suffer from noticeable input lag. This means that every time you connect it, you'll want to make sure it's the only controller turned on. It will not work as a second controller for same-console multiplayer; it's basically only good for single-player (or online multiplayer), so if you're wanting another controller to play couch multiplayer, give this a hard pass.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I've been really enjoying this controller. Looks and feels amazing, the analog sticks are miles better than the Joy Con sticks, and the dpad is great. Long-term comfort remains an unknown for me, and I really dislike that I can't turn the Switch on with it, but overall it's wonderful, and I don't regret getting this over the official Pro Controller.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there anywhere I can buy one of the old style SFC30 controllers bundled with a retro receiver? I can only seem to find the retro receivers for way too high of a price, and I want the controllers to look as close to the original SFC controllers as possible, like the older SFC30 model. Hate the look of the new ones.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

NES30 Pro has a good D-Pad and it's the perfect travel controller. I find it good for fighting games.

The SNES30 is the choice retro pad, the controller is a perfect recreation of the original.

Hear the 2 totally opposite viewpoints? The problem with the 8bitdo products.

My NES30 (received with my Analogue NT) was great...except the dpad...which was just kinda ok. I'm really surprised 8bitdo didn't do a better job with the dpad this time, there were tons of people pointing out the issues with the earlier dpad design on their forums.

I ended up with a pair of retroUSB wireless NES controllers instead. A bit too clicky on the dpad for me but at least it functions correctly.

Some folks that don't notice the finicky diagonals love the 8bitdo, but I found the flaky diagonals not acceptable at all for anything that uses a lot of diagonals (Contra, for example, or anything with diagonal movement).

Was really hoping they redesigned the dpad for the SN/SF30. Sounds like no.

Nov 27, 2017
So I got the sf30 SNES Edit Pro (pal colours) and here's what I think.

Decent enough, all inputs work for me. Motion controls work great and it's surprisingly comfortable.

The a and b buttons are a bit loud and clicky, but they respond fine. The analog sticks are good but nothing on the pro controller or say a dual shock 4. D pad seems fine to me.

The rumble is very noisey, I'm seeing posts above indicating a firmware update that fixes this? Will check it out as honestly I have to turn vibration off as it's was too much.

Overall I'm happy with it. I bought it for my switch and to use as extra controller for my pc for two player games and I'm not disappointed. If you're expecting Nintendo pro controller like quality it's not quite there, but it's a super cute and totally playable controller than works well on both switch and pc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Some folks that don't notice the finicky diagonals love the 8bitdo, but I found the flaky diagonals not acceptable at all for anything that uses a lot of diagonals (Contra, for example, or anything with diagonal movement).

I think the only complaints are people registering accidental diagonals when alternating from left to right, not diagonals being difficult to hit.

I've been playing through Shovel Knight with it, and have never once had a time where I wanted to do a shovel pogo while moving (diagonal down) or a propeller blade while jumping (diagonal up+Y) and had it not succeed. This is, admittedly, the only game that I've played on it which is reliant on diagonals, but as I said I haven't had it fail once (or trigger accidentally, either).

I've also done the "wiggle test" (holding down a cardinal direction and gently wiggling the controller without shifting the press to the diagonal) and on my pad got no unintentional misfires as a result. D-Pad seems absolutely great to me so far.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hear the 2 totally opposite viewpoints? The problem with the 8bitdo products.

My NES30 (received with my Analogue NT) was great...except the dpad...which was just kinda ok. I'm really surprised 8bitdo didn't do a better job with the dpad this time, there were tons of people pointing out the issues with the earlier dpad design on their forums.

I ended up with a pair of retroUSB wireless NES controllers instead. A bit too clicky on the dpad for me but at least it functions correctly.

There needs to be a clear dileanation between the various controllers and d-pads.

The SNES30 d-pad is probably a little different from the SNES30 Pro. The NES30 is even more drastically disimilar to the NES30 Pro, it's a totally different controller from top to bottom.

The NES30 Pro has a d-pad I prefer over the SNES30, but they are pretty different. Those are the only 2 pads I have so I can't compare to the others.

I do have a real SNES controller and I feel like the SNES30 is the closest clone I've ever used, it feels pretty legit. I also have a real NES controller and the d-pad feels very stiff to me.

I can tell you that both d-pads are better than most these days and it's certainly far better than using the JoyCon directional buttons. Those are beyond awful to use. I've seen dramatic improvements in my play when using the 8bitdo pads vs the JoyCons in games like Shovel Knight and Strikers 1945. The JoyCons aren't even viable for King of Fighters.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I think the only complaints are people registering accidental diagonals when alternating from left to right, not diagonals being difficult to hit.

I've been playing through Shovel Knight with it, and have never once had a time where I wanted to do a shovel pogo while moving (diagonal down) or a propeller blade while jumping (diagonal up+Y) and had it not succeed. This is, admittedly, the only game that I've played on it which is reliant on diagonals, but as I said I haven't had it fail once (or trigger accidentally, either).

I've also done the "wiggle test" (holding down a cardinal direction and gently wiggling the controller without shifting the press to the diagonal) and on my pad got no unintentional misfires as a result. D-Pad seems absolutely great to me so far.

No, the problem with the 8bitdos are that you end up with a lot of accidental diagonal pushes which makes controlling something like Contra very hard. For example going from -> to down-forward is hard to hit reliably. You get a lot of forward and down and it flickering between them and down-forward. Accidental diagonals are very bad for something like Contra. I suck at Contra enough to start, don't need any help ;) Also tricky for something like jumping and sliding under bricks in SMB3.

At least for their earlier controllers, that is. There's an electrical tape mod that is supposed to help but I'm not sure I want to spend $40-$50 only to have to tear it apart and mod it.

That said I had a couple of them Hori Fighting Commander controllers for the SNES classic briefly, that had the opposite problem. Diagonals were VERY hard to hit requiring a lot of force, making it hard to even walk in a circle in, say, Secret of Mana reliably.

There needs to be a clear dileanation between the various controllers and d-pads.

The SNES30 d-pad is probably a little different from the SNES30 Pro. The NES30 is even more drastically disimilar to the NES30 Pro, it's a totally different controller from top to bottom.

The NES30 Pro has a d-pad I prefer over the SNES30, but they are pretty different. Those are the only 2 pads I have so I can't compare to the others.

I do have a real SNES controller and I feel like the SNES30 is the closest clone I've ever used, it feels pretty legit. I also have a real NES controller and the d-pad feels very stiff to me.

I can tell you that both d-pads are better than most these days and it's certainly far better than using the JoyCon directional buttons. Those are beyond awful to use. I've seen dramatic improvements in my play when using the 8bitdo pads vs the JoyCons in games like Shovel Knight and Strikers 1945. The JoyCons aren't even viable for King of Fighters.

Not disagreeing that it might be better than the Joycons, those little buttons are awful vs a dpad. I'm talking either for emulation or for my incoming Super NT. So compared to a real SNES controller.

Last edited:

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Oh, please if you can post here if they delivered it.
So it took quite some time, but the package finally arrived on friday.
img_20180108_160738_hhkpru.jpg

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Yeah, it feels pretty good so far, plus the smartphone clip works like a charm(Xiaomi Mi Max 2).

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
From what I'm seeing there may actually be a second model of the SN30/SF30s and/or their Retro Receiver on the way soon.

71l9l3RLaNL._AC_.jpg

Looking at the 8bitdo site, it says on there about the Retro Receiver that...
8bitdo said:
Not compatible with SN30/SF30 2.4G controllers.

However, if you look on Analogue's site, although you can buy SN30/SF30s for the Super Nt, they're listed as bluetooth whereas the originals use are listed as using 2.4G wireless rather than bluetooth and if you try pre-ordering them it takes you through to Amazon which lists them with a release date of February 1st 2018 and that they use bluetooth which suggests that they're different to the ones that people already own.

I don't really see this happening but I suppose it is possible that they are already bluetooth compatible but it's not being activated until February 1st but that doesn't really make a lot of sense. So, for people like me who already own a SN30/SF30 and were hoping to use it on the Analogue Super Nt when it's delivered, we're probably out of luck and unless we have the current retro receiver and a bluetooth compatible controller or an original SNES compatible controller, we're not going to have a controller compatible with the Analogue Super Nt.

I just thought it was worth mentioning for people who have one on the way.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for my order of two SF30 Pro and a phone attachment thingy.
I will use them with my future emulation PC (with launchbox), with the Switch I'm getting very soon, and will also try one on my phone with emulators because why not.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I bought one of these a few days ago and adore it. I wanna get the retro receivers for NES and SNES.

Nov 27, 2017
So I've had mine a couple of weeks now and my overall impressions are still good. When I first got it the rumble was way too strong and noisy, but the firmware update has brought it down to the pro controller levels. Only gripe is you can't wake the console from sleep mode, at least I haven't been able to.

I'm using it as a second pro controller for the switch which works great, the gyro is fine as well as all the buttons. I use it on pc games when my DS4 controller is charging or I'm playing 2 player games with my son. It works no problems, can't really complain.

The best thing about it, other than how it functions really well..is that is a SNES controller. It looks so freaking cool. Playing the Witcher 3 or fallout 4 with this thing is so surreal it brings a smile to my face each time. Though I admit I use the ds4 more often.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got mine, and... I think I love it. The d-pad diagonals don't seem to have any issues when I tested them in The Mummy Remastered, and the overall feel is sublime while still feeling very much like a SNES controller. It basically makes my old SN30 (which I got on a sale) and the SF30 redundant, and usable for basically any modern game on a PC or Switch.

I'll probably still use my Switch Pro for Switch gaming since it has HD rumble and the d-pad on it is perfectly fine as well, but aside from games that need analog triggers (and I have a Steam Controller for that), I can't wait to start messing around in games like Dead Cells with this thing.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone still having trouble pairing with the retro receiver? It does work but there is a knack to it...

Oct 28, 2017
So question about using this controller as x-input.

Is there anyway to reverse the buttons so that the actual a button is used as a in x-input games? I know on the mayflash Wii u adaptors, you could change it, I was just hoping you could do the same with this controller.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So question about using this controller as x-input.

Is there anyway to reverse the buttons so that the actual a button is used as a in x-input games? I know on the mayflash Wii u adaptors, you could change it, I was just hoping you could do the same with this controller.
The firmware includes software for customizing universal button assignments, but there's also using Steam's input configuration system, which lets you reconfigure x-input control schemes for individual games.