• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get it, 8chan is the root of all evil. I never cared for it. But I can't help but think that to some extend this is scapegoating.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This.

Deplatforming isn't some kind of magic cure all that makes racists disappear, but it absolutely helps because it limits their outreach. Milo and Jones are proof of this, as their outreach absolutely declined once they got deplatformed.
Yep. People keep pushing the "they''ll just go somewhere else" point think it's clever but it really isn't. Yes. They will have to move somewhere else, which requires time, effort, resources, information exchange. Projects in progress and former avenues for easy sharing and production of rhetoric are reset to zero. Despite the internet being open there's a reason people don't just establish a YT alternative for everyone to migrate to: because it's not easy and not perfect and things are lost in the transition. Same goes for these places where the alt-right congregate. It takes effort to move even on the internet and stomping down one anthill is a blow to the community within.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shut down all the chans and every single other place that promotes shit like this. All of these people should be in jail just for even being on those sites spewing that trash.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I have no idea what any of this fucking nonsense means.

It's amazing because this is what some people thought Nazi Party rhetoric was pre-WW2. Just nonsense that belonged in the dark recesses of the ugly beer halls these weirdos met up in every week.

It wasn't until they gained power that it was too late

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, 8chan is the root of all evil. I never cared for it. But I can't help but think that to some extend this is scapegoating.

It's only scapegoating if people blame the entirety of its multiple inspired shootings on 8chan. It's just one piece of a large puzzle of heinous shit, and it's import to remove it, but it's not going to solve everything. Wiping its existence from the web will undoubtedly make the web a better place, though.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
their account only has 3k follows, so seeing their mentions blow made them jump quick
Twitter as a platform may be trash or whatever but it has its moments. Crazy that Voxility would have kept hosting them without knowing about their nature if @alexstamos didn't bring it up with them. It literally took them 30 minutes from Alex's tweet to get rid of 8chan for a second time today.

2ybSTOP.png

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Again your studies are about the effects of a popular individual/source of hate speech.

Not the movement itself or even considers the replacements.

Nobody gives a fuck about deplatforming Alex Jones when his replacements are even worse.
Who's Alex Jone's replacement? 🤔 Can you provide receipts that for example that the parents of the Sandy Hook victims have got it even worse now that some mystery man that apparently you're well aware about has replaced Alex Jone when it come to him and his followers harassing the parents by claiming that the shooting was a hoax? Provide actual receipts and stop fucking pearl clutching and essentially saying "DO NOTHING"

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People keep pushing the "they''ll just go somewhere else" point think it's clever but it really isn't. Yes. They will have to move somewhere else, which requires time, effort, resources, information exchange. Projects in progress and former avenues for easy sharing and production of rhetoric are reset to zero. Despite the internet being open there's a reason people don't just establish a YT alternative for everyone to migrate to: because it's not easy and not perfect and things are lost in the transition. Same goes for these places where the alt-right congregate. It takes effort to move even on the internet and stomping down one anthill is a blow to the community within.

In other words deplatforming works.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday all I had seen that 8chan was moving from Cloudflare to another service but recent developments are far more crippling, which is fantastic

Also good at Soph getting removed from youtube, she's a singularity of technology-fueled modern hatred.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'm well experienced with 4chan, having used it for most of my teenage years, up until when Moot sold the site off. There's a reason 8chan exists and its because 4chan doesn't allow their shit anymore.

8chan is the spawning point for so much of the insane political bullshit you get these days. QAnon is home there, outright fascist shit is home there. Its gone now. You really think 4chan's moderation and ownership want their site to go down the same hole if it begins hosting manifestoes for terrorists?
/pol/ had christchurch music video remixes and is mostly nazi memes. They didn't get rid of it, they concentrated it onto a handful of boards. 4chan lets far more people go 95% nazi.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again your studies are about the effects of a popular individual/source of hate speech.

Nobody gives a fuck about deplatforming Alex Jones when his replacements are even worse.
better re-elect Trump or somebody will replace him eh?

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's AWESOME. I remember when 8chan started up because people on 4chan were annoyed with moot's moderation, then it completely spiraled out of control to become that cesspool.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Who is replacing Alex Jones? Nobody I've seen, which is kinda the point is it not?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
No one beyond Trump and Fox News types are under any impression that the end of one website means the end of a problem. The fact that alt-right rhetoric isn't dead because 8chan is dead doesn't change the fact that it was a gathering place for the exact kind of violent bigots who encourage, praise and commit the type of biogted violence we've just dealt with in the US. In the journey to actually end this issue, places like 8chan need to be shut down. People that spread the kind of rhetoric that breeds bigots need to be forced to scramble and never have a chance to settle and build a comfortable platform for their purposes.

Oct 28, 2017
/pol/ had christchurch music video remixes and is mostly nazi memes. They didn't get rid of it, they concentrated it onto a handful of boards. 4chan lets far more people go 95% nazi.

Its not illegal to host that content, but at least 4chan (at the moment) isn't the source of manifestoes for school shootings. As soon as that happens, you'll see the moderation shit itself and remove it. Just like what happened with Gamergate getting the site threatened with legal action. The only reason 8chan was largely untouchable until the hosts took it down is because the owner is a fucking pig farmer in buttfuck nowhere.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Just one small example: If 8chan is unable to be restored in its current form, the Qanon movement's head is cut clear off. Q cannot make anymore drops because no one will know who is the real Q - and it's not like the real Q can prove it's actually them by making a specific prediction and coming true, because Q was a hoax all along. It's beautiful.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

So which is this "worse than Alex Jones" fellow.
Oh, and it must be one with the same kind of reach.

Quick Recap

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
I'm losing track of company names here.

A quick recap:
  • 8chan: a cesspool of neo-nazis, white supremacists, anti-semitism and pedophiles. Owned by Jim Watkins and administered by this guy.
  • NT Technologies: A company created by Jim Watkins to manage 8chan.
  • Cloudfare: a DDoS mitigation company. Some time ago dropped support for The Daily Stormer after a mass-shooting. The CEO said he would never do it again because "muh free speech". They dropped 8chan because they are going public in a couple of months and bad press is not good for an IPO.
  • Bitmitigate: another DDoS mitigation company, they are the replacement for Cloudfare. They are owned by Epik.
  • Epik: a service provider, owned by a known white-supremacist and anti-semitic PoS, Robert Monster. They started hosting 8chan. They don't own any meaningful infrastructure, relying on Voxility to offer their services. They also host Gab and The Daily Stormer. This fine people are the management team. I'm sure that the neo-nazis in Gab and The Daily Stormer would love to purge a couple of them.
  • Voxility: A not so big company offering cloud services. Panicked after the mentions on twitter started to blow-up. They didn't see to have a problem with offering their infrastructure to Gab and The Daily Stormer before. They stopped working with Epik after all the publicity.
Lets see where all those sites end now, there are a lot of PoS out there ready to host them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just one small example: If 8chan is unable to be restored in its current form, the Qanon movement's head is cut clear off. Q cannot make anymore drops because no one will know who is the real Q - and it's not like the real Q can prove it's actually them by making a specific prediction and coming true, because Q was a hoax all along. It's beautiful.
wasn't Q on 4chan?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can fucking bet Tyler Malka is paging people to let them come to Neogaf.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I doubt it will be shut down for long, don't we expect some other dipshit company to swoop in and offer the website protection?
That literally JUST happened 3 hours ago and the dipshit CDN that was going to host them (BitMitigate) got shut down taking down 8chan and a few other sites like The Daily Stormer after their host (Voxility) learned about their activities.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's not, it's an informed attempt to decrease the amount of future shootings. That's all we can realistically do, and what the vast majority of people ever ask for.

Other solutions will be required elsewhere, this is not an issue where one magic solution will fix everything.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hercules beat the hydra by cutting off heads until he could cut off the head that killed it, it's a weird analogy.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Like....who, exactly?

Who's Alex Jone's replacement? 🤔

So which is this "worse than Alex Jones" fellow.
Oh, and it must be one with the same kind of reach.

Isn't that kind of the point?

We don't even fucking know. The only thing we do know is that the alt right have been increasing and getting more violent. Whoever's spreading the message whether its one person or many is getting more effective and dangerous than Alex Jones will ever be.

Our crusade shouldn't be against Alex Jones whose nothing more than an opportunist taking advantage of hate. It should be the hate movement itself. Hurting Alex Jones doesn't mean a job well done.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I'm glad I have no idea what any of this fucking nonsense means.
For anyone curious:

A group of lunatics was convinced by this "Q" person (who claims to be a high-ranking government official) that the entirety of the Russia investigation is a cover for the real investigation into Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party for their involvement in a satanic child sex trafficking ring. Trump is in on it, of course, and any day now, Hillary and the rest will all be arrested. The whole movement got a boost in visibility when the Roseanne reboot happened because she's a believer.