• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NeoGAF, The Bore, Voat, and Kiwifarms are the big four websites that stalk, doxx, and harass ERA members off-site. There's also a Twitter account called Mombot that's popular with the alt-right and frequently stirs up harassment brigades against ERA members.

We're apparently not supposed to talk about these things on ERA because it promotes "cross-site drama" but I think it's kind of important for ERA members to be aware that there are websites out there actively attempting to doxx and stalk you (especially vulnerable female, PoC, and LGBT members) and that this is not "drama" but hey, what do I know.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NeoGAF, The Bore, Voat, and Kiwifarms are the big four websites that stalk, doxx, and harass ERA members off-site. There's also a Twitter account called Mombot that's popular with the alt-right and frequently stirs up harassment brigades against ERA members.

We're apparently not supposed to talk about these things on ERA because it promotes "cross-site drama" but I think it's kind of important for ERA members to be aware that there are websites out there actively attempting to doxx and stalk you (especially vulnerable female, PoC, and LGBT members) and that this is not "drama" but hey, what do I know.

I believe mombot was suspended

Discussion guidelines

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Now that members are aware of these sites, let's get back on topic and not pay attention to what other sites think of us.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Not surprising, but the thing with that is they always could have been on the "dark web" or whatever. Most people aren't going to go to that length to post there, and the ones who would prob have done so no matter what. If I remember right, Tor is notoriously unsafe so it's their own necks on the line.
8ch was already on Tor, pretty much since it's inception. All they've done now is increased the infrastructure do better deal with the new increased Tor traffic due to it being the only way to access it. But it's an awful way to access it. It's slow, you can't post images, you can't track comments by user (if the board as it enabled) and as of now you can't access the mod panel. Also as Jim said, 8ch used get around 1million users a month, if they're only on Tor then they'll be lucky to be in the thousands. They're defo going to try and get it back up for real. They're not dedicated enthusiasts that simply want a little corner of the web to discuss whatever niche topic they're into, they actually want to run a fairly high trafficked site.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame, my username is literally too "generic" to actually come up with anything specific on Google (and yet so surprisingly uncommon that I can register with this username on a lot of places, even popular ones, without much issue). Oh well, I don't post enough to get any kind of notoriety on places like that.

Despite my misgivings about companies with such massive amounts of potential influence over the net having so much power to shut down sites for any arbitrary reason, I can't deny that seeing this go down is cathartic as fuck and the evidence that deplatforming works is undeniable.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When you check to see if anyone makes lists of your posts and realize no you aren't popular enough.

giphy.gif
This was me. I figured at least my anti-gamer gate state on the Escapist and the KickVic stuff here would be enough.

Ah well.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was me. I figured at least my anti-gamer gate state on the Escapist and the KickVic stuff here would be enough.

Ah well.
Don't worry, I'm already making a website dedicated to you as we speak.

I'm gonna talk so much shit about you too. Drag your ass through the dirt. Whatever it takes, I'm here for you friend.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): ignoring the modpost, history of similar behavior
Official Staff Communication
Now that members are aware of these sites, let's get back on topic and not pay attention to what other sites think of us.
I honestly understand why you lot don't won't us to talk about it. But i just want to reply to these two posts.

I've gone *checks notes* more than a month without being banned. LOL. And i don't want to be put on the naughty step.
There are two ways you can interpret this:

1. Why are these people willfully debasing themselves, putting a shmuck like me on some weird pedestal of hatred. It's so sad. I pity them.

2. I am a glorious social justice warrior and bigots everywhere recoil at the sight of my fiery posts. Their hatred is proof I'm on the right track.

Why did you pick #1 when you could have picked #2?
See, that's why you're the Spider-Pig. 😄
Think of it like when you play an FPS, and you do so well the other person either rage quits or sends you hate mail out of jealousy. That's how you should interpret it, turn a negative into a positive, glass half full and all that.
LOL. No no i get that (even though i don't feel i ever posted anything worth being put on the damn VIP list on the bot) But it makes you very paranoid.
There have been fun topics in here that i wanted to post in. But then i remember i have to be careful about what i post, in case it can be used as a breadcrumb to doxx me. So i don't.

Not only in fun threads. Just in general on here, i've made a post, but just before i hit post reply, i delete it as i realised it could fuck me.

Tired of always looking over my shoulder. Ya know.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So in the pantheon of irredeemable internet villainy, where does kiwifarms rate? And does it have any possibility of being likewise shut down?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So i google kiwifarms... I suspected these types of sites existed but i didn't think they would be so out in the open like this. google shouldn't allow me to find them this easily.
i regret googling it.
I'm glad i never knew 8chan existed.
I wish these people would man up. At the very least each country should be policing these types of sites where such agressive comments are normalized.

I hope companies grow a backbone and close these types of sites.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If I remember, it was a site dedicated Chris-chan (Christian Weston Chandler Wiki Forums -> CWCWiki Forums -> Kiwifarms) which in practice was a forum for harassing him for laughs, then turned into a general harassment site from there.

Yup, they now follow most known "lolcows" like DSP and WingsofRedemption. Just general harassment and doxing of others they don't like.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I hope 8chan forever follows cloudflare, and really any company that takes their money.

I hope the ipo completely busts and they get fucked for it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are obsessed with ResetEra, jesus.

Same shit happened with the previous site. The run off goes somewhere and instead of just taking the hit on the chin and moving on, they stew over it. Sad back when people did it to NG, sad when they do it to this place. It's funny and sad how upset people get when they're banned from a forum, especially one you can still read when not logged in.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'm not very familiar with TOR but I was always under the impression that it was hard for your everyday Joe Schmo to use. Would 8chan going TOR-only make a big difference, or would most of the people who were regulars already know how to access it?

I honestly understand why you lot don't won't us to talk about it. But i just want to reply to these two posts.

I've gone *checks notes* more than a month without being banned. LOL. And i don't want to be put on the naughty step.

LOL. No no i get that (even though i don't feel i ever posted anything worth being put on the damn VIP list on the bot) But it makes you very paranoid.
There have been fun topics in here that i wanted to post in. But then i remember i have to be careful about what i post, in case it can be used as a breadcrumb to doxx me. So i don't.

Not only in fun threads. Just in general on here, i've made a post, but just before i hit post reply, i delete it as i realised it could fuck me.

Wow good thing this poster was banned for two entire weeks, I feel much safer knowing that a fiend like him isn't free to *checks notes* ignore a notice to stay on topic like the others on this page.

I'm not very familiar with TOR but I was always under the impression that it was hard for your everyday Joe Schmo to use. Would 8chan going TOR-only make a big difference, or would most of the people who were regulars already know how to access it?

Wow good thing this poster was banned for two entire weeks, I feel much safer knowing that a fiend like him isn't free to *checks notes* ignore a notice to stay on topic like the others on this page.
TOR is at the threshold of just being obscure enough that vast majority of internet users wouldn't bother. Being forced to go on the dark web or federated net would aboslutely have a significant effect on the spreading of their messages.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Modwhining, Thread Derailment; History of Similar Behavior

2 week ban for this..?

giphy.gif

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
we demand you fly from your country as a non citizen to have a nice chat with our boys in Congress in front of some TV cameras. You in?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean they blatantly admitted to disregarding the mod post in their post.
I don't see why that requires two weeks (the length) off for replying to people about having been doxed as a result of being a part of this site and being fed up about that, honestly. If people on Resetera are being targeted and doxed and feel uncomfortable about that fact I don't think shutting down all discussion and banning those people is a particularly positive move.

It's not like it's particularly off topic either. The mentality and methods exhibited by places like KF are very much stepping stones toward the extremes we see taken by incels and alt-right loners in real life. Most might be teens just getting their laughs but the doxing and bridging of trolling online to harassment in person is a red flag and just hand-waiving and banning victims of it seems poor.

Last edited:

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

What is this? How is this off topic?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Don't worry, I'm already making a website dedicated to you as we speak.

I'm gonna talk so much shit about you too. Drag your ass through the dirt. Whatever it takes, I'm here for you friend.

*sniff* SW shucks. I appreciate it. It's been a long time since someone dragged my name through the mud.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems that replying to people who quoted you nets you approximately twice the ban that deflecting criticism of 8chan with a history as sketch as this nets you. Since, y'know, I'll feel very safe around these parts when that guy gets the express pass back.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted on Twitter about shutting down the Amazon book store that funnels money to 8chan and I got responses from a Qanon follower, an anti-vaxxer, and a gun nut. Beautiful. Botometer claims they are not bots. Two of them responded with claims of censorship, while the other liked my tweet for some reason lol

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I posted on Twitter about shutting down the Amazon book store that funnels money to 8chan and I got responses from a Qanon follower, an anti-vaxxer, and a gun nut. Beautiful. Botometer claims they are not bots.

I have a family member that is way into Q and they are angry about 8chan. The also believe in chem trails.

I listen to a YouTube stream they frequent and it is every internet conspiracy rolled into one, and they are all real and they are the "woke" people.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a family member that is way into Q and they are angry about 8chan. The also believe in chem trails.

I listen to a YouTube stream they frequent and it is every internet conspiracy rolled into one, and they are all real and they are the "woke" people.
The anti-vaxxer posted that they were "Vaccine informed! " in their profile. I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but 20 tweets later and I started to see them retweeting and responding to bullshit anti-vax articles.