• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
When police in northern India went to court to lodge a charge sheet on Monday, they were confronted by dozens of lawyers determined to keep them out.

The lawyers were Hindus. The charges, which police managed to lodge only after calling backup, implicated eight men in the rape and murder of a Muslim child.

The killing of eight year-old Asifa Bano, details of which were released on Wednesday, and ongoing efforts by Hindu groups to disrupt the police investigation have sickened many Indians and deepened concerns about a growing sense of impunity among religious nationalists.Asifa, a member of a nomadic Muslim tribe, was grazing horses on 10 January in Kathua, a district of Jammu and Kashmir state, when a farmhand lured her away. She was confined in a small Hindu temple, drugged, raped for five days by a group of men and killed with a rock.

Police allege the crime was intricately planned by Sanji Ram, the temple custodian, who they say agreed to pay local officers 500,000 rupees (£5,400) to create false evidence that would lead investigators away from him and his men.

Ram had been a staunch opponent of the settlement of the Muslim tribe, known as the Bakarwals, in the area, and saw Bano as a soft target in a plot to frighten the group into leaving, police said.

The arrest of Ram, his men and several police officers quickly took on religious overtones in Jammu where, as in other parts of India, rightwing Hindu groups have become increasingly active.

In February, state ministers and senior officials from the ruling Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) helped to form a protest group that marched through Kathua waving Indian flags and demanding the release of one of the accused officers.

They argue that because some of the investigating officers in the case are Muslim, they cannot be trusted to be impartial. They called for the case to be transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation, an agency overseen by the national government.

Criminal cases have been registered against more than 40 lawyers for trying to prevent the police from filing the charges on Monday. The district bar association released a statement in support of the protests, saying the government had failed in "understanding the sentiments of the people".

In December, a Rajasthan man ranted about Hindu nationalist causes as he filmed himself killing a Muslim migrant labourer using a pickaxe. Last month a Hindu religious procession in Jodhpur city included a float that appeared to honour the killer.

Ranjana Kumari, an activist and the director of the Centre for Social Research, said the silence about Asifa's murder from national political leaders was horrendous. "It is for political advantage with an election year in 2019," she said. "It really is the lowest thing."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/12/killing-of-muslim-girl-india-hindu-religious-tensions

Disgusting that these people so comfortable protesting the arrest of a child rapist. Nationalism really knows no depths.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Extremly messed up.I hope they get long sentences.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What is wrong with people, seriously? Who would go through with such a thing or even willingly be complicit in it? All the people who did this were once children. What went wrong?

Also, protesting the arrest of an alleged child rapist, wow. Total moral inversion. We're in the upside-down, everyone.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What a world we live in. I believe in Karma, be it in this life time or another, they will pay for what they did. These things have a way of coming back. Preferably swiftly and painfully for such an atrocity.

Savages.

Oct 27, 2017
It will never fail to amaze and disgust me at how unbelievably fucking wicked people can be to each other.

This is absolutely abhorrent on multiple levels.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean to ruin anyone's day, but this is a huge problem in India. Nationalism mixed with religion is causing major problems in the country and with nationalism spreading worldwide, stories like this one help to remind us why we need to fight against any attempts to make such movements mainstream in out countries.

Saddening, there is a big campaign going in india justice for this girl. Hope things change

Yup, people are protesting against what happened and it's starting to gain traction across the entire country.

The body of Asifa Bano, who belonged to a Muslim nomadic tribe, was found in a forest on 17 January near Kathua city of Indian-administered Kashmir.

The story made headlines this week when Hindu right-wing groups protested over the arrest of eight Hindu men.

The case has become a religious flashpoint in an already polarised Indian region.

Anger not only over the grisly murder but also the support for the accused quickly gathered momentum on Twitter with the hashtags #Kathua and #justiceforAsifa trending since Thursday.

Rahul Gandhi, the chief of the main opposition Congress party, led a candlelight march in Delhi on Thursday night.

More protests have been planned to bring attention to brutal crimes against women in India.
The chief of Delhi Commission for Women, Swati Maliwal, has said she will be starting an indefinite fast from Friday to demand better security for women and children in the country.

Several other activists and women have also planned protests in Delhi and other parts of the country over the weekend.

Some people have also used the hashtag #Unnao to highlight another rape case in which a lawmaker is accused of raping a 16-year-old in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

Kuldeep Singh Sengar, 50, from the ruling BJP allegedly raped the girl last year in Unnao district. But her case was registered only after she tried to kill herself last week in front of the chief minister's home.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-43749235

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How bad is India actually? Seems that these kinds of news are all we get, but how much blowback and activism is there against this kind of shit?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Jesus christ.

I was not ready for that read.

How people can publicly demonstrate against the investigation is fucking reprehensible.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
How bad is India actually? Seems that these kinds of news are all we get, but how much blowback and activism is there against this kind of shit?

Rape is still a huge issue across the entire country, not sure how much progress has really been made. Some stories blow up, promises are made that things will change and then...nothing.

For what it's worth, in the day to day, a friend of my wife is out there teaching in a Montessori school and she had to stop using public transport because of how much she was being groped, the final straw was when someone tried to stick his hand down her bottoms. She now has a driver that the school hired take to her and from work, in her free time she either stays indoors and only goes out when accompanied by group that includes a few men she can trust.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking assholes. Rape and murder isn't enough, but a gang rape and murder on an 8 year old girl?

Fucking ruined my day.
I didn't mean to ruin anyone's day, but this is a huge problem in India. Nationalism mixed with religion is causing major problems in the country and with nationalism spreading worldwide, stories like this one help to remind us why we need to fight against any attempts to make such movements mainstream in out countries.

Yup, people are protesting against what happened and it's starting to gain traction across the entire country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-43749235
Don't worry about it. Although it did ruin my morning, it is still good to hear about such news even if it is so disgusting.

Last edited:

less

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ.

I was not ready for that read.

How people can publicly demonstrate against the investigation is fucking reprehensible.

People can do all sorts of fucked up things for hate. And these crazies hate Muslims. Muslim girl gets raped and killed? She got exactly what she deserves in the minds of these people. Heck, some probably son't Even see rape and murder as a big deal in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean how the fuck do you think to yourself "I want to scare these people into leaving so I'm going to kidnap, rape and kill one of their kids".

Then how do you as a lawyer or police office actually contribute to the protection of people who kidnapped raped and murdered an 8 year old?

How do you fucking do that? How do you justify any of that to yourself?

Man I really hope some actual justice comes out of this because it's wrong on so many levels. Also India has been struggling with rape for a long time now and women & children deserve to be protected from that.

Last edited:

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Religion and nationalism are dangerous things, because taken to a certain level, it takes away all semblance of personal responsibility. "It's okay to rape, because my god approves it", or "It's okay to attack 'the other', because it's for the benefit of 'my people'".

I have such a huge issue with how the west seems to glorify and mystify India. I have a friend who lived there for a while, who says it's the best country in the world, while he has no fucking idea about how it's like for women to live there.

Then you have the yoga/spirituality nuts who just see India through this rose tinted lens of being mystical, spiritual and peaceful.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how the fuck do you think to yourself "I want to scare these people into leaving so I'm going to kidnap, rape and kill one of their kids".

Then how do you as a lawyer or police office actually contribute to the protection of people who kidnapped raped and murdered an 8 year old?

How do you fucking do that? How do you justify any of that to yourself?

Man I really hope some actual justice comes out of this because it's wrong on so many levels. Also India has been struggling with rape for a long time now and women & children deserve to be protected from that.

They don't see Muslims as people.

Don't forget that India's nationalism comes from the top down, their current PM ran on a platform of nationalism and it emboldened people like the animals in this story. The reason why they want the national government to investigate is because they believe the national government will be on their side.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand why or who brought religion into this. India has a problem protecting women, been known for a while. It is sad to see nothing has changed after the Delhi bus incident.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Fuck, fuck, fuck. Fuck right off. Holy shit I shouldn't be on Off Topic this early in the morning but damn. Hope these people get what they deserve and more. Pure evil.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The amount of these types of stories coming out of India seems to be increasing recently, I remember another one a few months back with a little girl of 12 months being raped and dying of her injuries, that one wasn't religiously motivated though.

Absolutely sickening but I cant see how the Indian government can improve the situation quickly as the sheer size of the population and poverty in many regions would make it almost impossible. International shaming might make the government try to do more but I doubt these people give a damn about what other countries think.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of these types of stories coming out of India seems to be increasing recently, I remember another one a few months back with a little girl of 12 months being raped and dying of her injuries, that one wasn't religiously motivated though.

Absolutely sickening but I cant see how the Indian government can improve the situation quickly as the sheer size of the population and poverty in many regions would make it almost impossible. International shaming might make the government try to do more but I doubt these people give a damn about what other countries think.
Local shaming seems to work best (and it seems to have gotten the current PM of India to finally make a strong statement).

It's true that this sort of problem won't be solved overnight. But strong action and messaging by the Indian leadership would greatly help.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's a shame an utter fucking shame. The sad truth is that while much of India (younger generations) are moving away from religiousness there are myriad pockets of rural India that are rife with old, bigoted archaic religious customs. Jammu and Kashmir has been a hotbed of religious animosity (between Hindus and Muslims) since the '70s and this latest disgusting resistance against justice being served is another in a long line of heinous acts that has plagued the area.

IMHO those eight men should be behind bars forever if not executed for the repeated rape and murder of child.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This was the worst thing I've read in a while. She was 8. She was innocent. Fuck these pieces of shit. Fuck this warring against other religions

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part isn't the rape, it's the fact lawyers and policemen tried to protect them. Like Wtf how can you be ok with protecting people raping and killing an innocent child?!

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
What a great way to start the day. :(

According to the Humans Right Watch, about 600 minors get raped every single day (7200 per year, from a 2012 census): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_India

This is just minors.

Using a small sample survey, Human Rights Watch projects more than 7,200 minors – 1.6 in 100,000 minors – are raped each year in India. Among these, victims who do report the assaults are alleged to suffer mistreatment and humiliation from the police.[25] Minor girls are trafficked into prostitution in India, thus rape of minors conflates into a lifetime of suffering.[26] Of the countries studied by Maplecroft on sex trafficking and crime against minors, India was ranked 7th worst.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_India

This is just what they projected. Who knows how many more happen, unreported and unnoticed. And this is just India. It will blow your mind once you add up other countries. And then imagine with their unreported cases.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This was the worst thing I've read in a while. She was 8. She was innocent. Fuck these pieces of shit. Fuck this warring against other religions
For some monsters, abusing and destroying that innocence is they only way they can feel fulfilled. They are pathetic broken people that need to inflict horror upon the most vulnerable for no reason other than it makes them feel powerful and not like the cowardly maggots they are.
Religions like Catholicism, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Christianity are already inching closer and closer to just this display of brutality and have long crossed the line in regards to sexual abuse of minors as we've seen with Catholic priests, Youth pastors, and just this year with religion allowing monsters like Roy Moore a pass for the sake of a win for their side. Suppress, ignore or excuse any thing that puts a blight on the supposed religious values these people claim to follow. Keep up that and stories like this will balloon in the US as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.