• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hanson-the-90s-368095_300_280.jpg

(Zac, Isaac and Taylor Hanson)

When I say "comeback", I mean in the mainstream. Hanson has been around and consistently made music for their devoted fans for the past 25 years.

In the latest season of "The Masked Singer" the contestants, "The Russian Dolls" are easily identified as Hanson to their long time fans.

Now, a year ago at this time I would have recommended Hanson to anyone. I thought they were an underrated band. Talented guys who were stuck being remembered as a one hit wonder for their tune, "Mmm Bop". Despite me hating that song at the time, my sister was a huge fan and kept up with them over the years. Eventually, being around her exposed me to enough of their music to realize they had real talent.

On top of that they seemed to be nice guys too. They seemed to treat their fans well. Donated to charities and everything. They are from Tulsa, Oklahoma and if you really dug into their personal life (which they mostly kept private) you could tell they come from a deeply religious background but it never really manifested in a problematic way.

Heck, even a wholesome guy like Weird Al was chummy with them. He directed and cameoed in this music video that's a tribute to the Ray Charles music store scene from the classic film, "Blues Brothers".

All those good times and years of good will changed in May last year around the time of the murder of George Floyd. The whole saga is chronicled in a linear timeline here, in this helpful post from the Reddit group "Post Hanson" which is a collection of former fans who feel betrayed by a band they had been following for most of their lives.

THE LEADUP: MAY 25 - JUNE 5
May 25-27:
George Floyd, a Black man, is murdered by a white police officer. For a few days, HANSON posts normal content on social media and receive ordinary fan comments.

May 28: Protests against police brutality are happening across America. HANSON shares a post about the rocket launch. The post receives many comments from fans pointing out that as a band who has constantly cited Black artists as influences, it is concerning that they choose to post about the rocket but have been silent about the black lives matter movement. Black and POC fans in particular begin expressing hurt and frustration. Many of these comments are still available on the Instagram post.

May 31: After a few more days of silence, HANSON posts announcing a livestream with an organization that provides mental health services to musicians. Many more comments come in pointing out that while it's great they are supporting mental health, why are they still silent on Black lives matter?

At this point, a divide is forming in the fan community between those calling the band in, and those claiming the band is being 'attacked.' For what it's worth, almost all the comments and almost none were attacks: they were pleas for the guys to do the right thing. That evening, TAYLOR posts about George Floyd on his personal Instagram.

June 2: Blackout Tuesday happens. The main Hanson account remains silent. TAYLOR shares a black square on his Instagram, receiving mostly supportive comments but a few people asking him to do more, like at least say the words "Black lives matter."

June 3: ISAAC posts on Instagram stating 'Racism is Wrong!' This is met with mixed reactions from fans. Some felt that while the topics were important and the acknowledgment was appreciated, it was not enough, especially for BIPOC fans point-blank asking them to proudly state Black Lives Matter.

June 4: ZAC posts about recording an HTP podcast but still does not address BLM. ZAC replied to a few comments; most notably, a 'statement' about why he hasn't said Black lives matter. He also replied directly to a Black fan. Things got hectic and he deleted all comments. These screenshots are widely available but we will be adding them soon.

This was when things began to escalate: the main Hanson account was still silent, refusing to say black lives matter, and now we had Zac silencing black fans by deleting all comments on his post. The latest post on the Hanson page was still the one about the livestream, and it continued to receive comments from both supportive and frustrated fans. Fans began fighting with each other in the comments, and at least one black fan outright said she felt gaslit by the white fans.

June 5(?):
Earlier in the day, the main band account shares a video advertising BTTI. Another round of hurt, angry comments rolls in while the post is still up, including feedback from BIPOC fans, and it is deleted within a couple of hours.

ZAC makes an Instagram post available here addressing some issues around the controversy.

Later, the main band account finally makes a post 'directly' addressing the criticism and comments are still enabled. This is met with another mixed response from fans. Many felt it was already too little too late. There has still been no apology to Black fans, no acknowledgment of the influence Black artists have had on their music, and no willingness from the band to even do the bare minimum of actually saying black lives matter. The fandom continues to implode in comment sections.

That evening around midnight, TAYLOR posts on his personal IG saying 'Love Casts Out Fear'.

Many fans feel he is having the best response out of the three, but a lot of commenters encourage him to highlight black artists or show what actions he has been taking to support black lives.

PINTERESTGATE/HANSONGATE* BEGINS
[SUP]*the word "Pinterestgate was kicking around before the post was made, then at the time it was posted it has already been titled Hansongate because although Zac is[/SUP] [SUP]by far[/SUP] [SUP]the instigator here, all three have a responsibility in this.[/SUP]

June 6: Zac's social media accounts including a YouTube channel, a Pinterest board, a Twitter account, a Facebook account, a website, and a private Instagram all named "ITIAirsoft" or sometimes "Commanding Officer" begin circulating among fans. Rumors are that someone close to Zac is the one who leaked it.

It's clear that the original purpose of these accounts was to manage the Airsoft team of the same name that Zac assembled; however, as the team apparently seemed to get less active (last posts were ca 2015) Zac instead used the Pinterest account specifically to build his meme and propaganda collection. Screenshots show some memes depicting US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, commonly known as AOC which suggests that this account was still recently active (she was elected 2018).

The Pinterest board has been particularly damaging as it was full of rightwing propaganda. Including but not limited to racism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, and islamophobia. Worse still, several of the Pins included commentary from Zac (user "ITIAirsoft/Commanding Officer") that reaffirm his stance on the media he shared. One of the worst things was a pin supporting George Zimmerman, the man who murdered Trayvon Martin, a black teenager. At this time it was only rumored that the account belonged to Zac, but there was enough evidence that many fans believed it was his.

This was the day r/posthanson subreddit was created.

June 7: Boycotting. Fans begin to gather at this subreddit and many take action. Requesting membership renewals, donating to BLM adjacent charities in the band's name, selling their merch, canceling orders, etc. We're all at different levels here, some have denounced Hanson entirely, others are still waiting to see what happens. The main sentiment on this subreddit is heartbreak, disappointment, betrayal. This is NOT a group of fans out to celebrate Hanson's demise, but people who are genuinely saddened at their behavior.

JUNE 8:
On the afternoon of June 8, the Hanson Instagram posted a single image, with comments turned off, affirming Black lives matter: "We believe any form of racism is an injustice, and injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. There is no question we believe that black lives matter."

While there was a moment of joy and relief from the fans, many of us following the Hansongate story were also suspicious and did not feel it was enough. They receive many critical responses on Twitter but a lot of supportive responses on FB. At this point, much of the fanbase doesn't even know about Zac's Pinterest.

Within 2 hours, Zac confirmed on Instagram via comments from a post on May 26 that he was ITIAirsoft and defended everything he posted that was questioned.

His wife, KATE, then released a statement on Instagram.

June 9: Kate disabled comments on her post. Screenshots circulate that ZAC is corresponding with fans via PM on hnet and expresses sadness about the situation but does not indicate he feels any remorse towards others; only himself. SCREENSHOTS 1 & 2

June 10: Business seems to have resumed as normal at 3CG; a newsletter was dispatched in the evening celebrating the 10-year anniversary of Shout it Out with no acknowledgment of the current situation. By now, many Facebook fan groups have closed membership or archived temporarily.

On the evening of June 10, Lisa Niemann, wife of known Hanson associate Trevor, released a statement on facebook.

Unconfirmed reports of fans being blocked from the Twitter and Instagram accounts of ZAC, KATE, and the band have begun circulating and at least one instance of a fan having their Hnet account deleted without warning.

June 11: r/posthanson posts an open letter requesting an apology/acknowledgement from the band.

So far, hnet CBIB and HTP remains up to date but there is no official word from the band.

JUNE 12 - 14: still no word from the band; all social media remains silent; more discussion continues amongst fans on all sides of the issue.

June 15: HBBC (Beer company) updates twitter with a photo that appears to be taken and posted by Taylor. CBIBs continue to be posted - fans have started to notice that all recent CBIBs are from the same day and that Zac is clearly absent from them.

June 16 - 18: very few posts aside from some activity on from the beer company.

Juneteenth (June 19): All 3 make individual posts.

June 20-21: Zac continues blocking fans that bring up Pinterestgate in any way, or even express anything less than positive without any response. On June 21, someone asks him why he is blocking people, and his response (and remaining fallout) is best viewed here.

POSTGATE - PRESENT
By and large, the summer remained fairly uneventful. ITZ has mostly laid low.

July 18: A drafted but unpublished blog entry written by ZAC is found on Hnet. It's unclear how users found it but it was never officially posted as a blog entry or event on the website and was a draft. It was originally dated for June 26. Once it is discovered, it's promptly removed. Click here to read the discussion. The STICKIED comment on that post contains the screenshot.

While there is some measure of accountability taken in its text, ZAC still centers the conversation around himself. In the end, the post was never officially released, was exclusive to fanclub members, and has also been removed so it is considered a nonstarter.

July 22: TAYLOR hosts a panel for the MusiCares foundation. Some users tuned in to watch the stream and provided commentary on TAYLOR'S interaction with the panelists as race, white supremacy, and police brutality were discussed. Reactions were mixed but overall less-than-impressed. Click here to read the discussion.

CCC: September 1 - 8 ITZ announces a residency for fall and winter at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa and sell tickets for in-person events in addition to livestream tickets. This is viewed as highly irresponsible and selfish, which is discussed at more length at the following posts.

November 1: ISAAC posts the following on his Instagram stories:

"At some point very soon Christians and Church's [sic] (and for that matter anyone of any faith) is going to have to decide, is [sic] your faith is more important than your fear. We are quickly approaching Christmas and it too will be canceled (by our governments), just like Easter was and Thanksgiving is being suggested to be. I for one will not comply. I fear God more that [sic] I fear death and far more than I fear my government!!!"
Screenshot and discussion hereBecause fans can't publicly comment on Instagram stories, they take to his most recent post about a Theodore Roosevelt book to publicly share their disappointment.

November 2: ISAAC shares another Instagram story attempting to clarify the first one, stating among other things "as this pandemic persists, what is your line with COVID/Lockdowns?". Screenshot and discussion here.

Later this day, Radio.com announces an upcoming interview with the band, asking fans to submit their questions. Many fans responded by submitting questions about Isaac's views on COVID, as well as questions about the band's actions in relation to BLM. Comments on this post (Instagram).

November 4: Queerty picks up the Isaac story. Discussion and article link here. The story is also eventually picked up by MSN, Perez Hilton, and the Mirror.

November 5:
ISAAC is a no-show at the Radio.com interview. Nothing about Isaac's stories or views was asked during the interview, however, at least one somewhat critical fan question was answered, in relation to the 'hold on to the ones who really care' line from Mmmbop:

"Speaking hypothetically, would the guys consider that person to be one who loves you unconditionally, or one who challenges you to be a better person?
While Taylor feels those two people, hopefully, can be one and the same, as for Zac, he always felt that line represented the "people that you have identified in your life that care for you," he says. "It's about you searching your own thoughts and saying, 'who are the people who are really taking care of me, who are really giving into my life, and I need to do that back to them."
Discussion here.

November 6: ISAAC turns off and hides all Instagram comments, then deletes and reposts the Roosevelt book post, also with comments disabled.

November 5-7: Cain's in-person and livestream events continue as the pandemic continues.

An E! Online article covers the release of Perennial and skims over mentioning the in-person aspect of the shows. The band makes no mention of Isaac's recent controversy, nor of the contentious US election ongoing at the time.

HANSONGATE MEDIA EXPOSURE
November 10: VICE breaks an investigative story about Hansongate including interviews from the r/posthanson moderators and Black fans. The article includes the following statements from the band, which have been panned by fans as weak:

BAND

In an emailed statement to VICE, the band wrote, "We are so grateful to our incredible and diverse community of fans for their continued support and powerful connection with our music. We are proud to have people of so many different backgrounds as a part of the community who consider themselves Hanson fans."
ZAC

In an emailed statement to VICE, Zac wrote, "The leaked Pinterest page provided a distorted view of the issues surrounding race and social justice, which do not reflect my personal beliefs. I apologize for the hurt my actions caused."
ISAAC

"What I shared was driven by an emotional reaction to a recent personal experience," Isaac wrote in an emailed statement to VICE. "I'm sorry for the pain and worry that my posts caused. I don't believe there is a group conspiring against Christmas, only that I hope value is placed on both practices of safety and of faith."
Since its publication, the story has been picked up by NME, Vulture, Stereogum, InsideHook, Pedestiran.TV, and PinkNews. Some are deliberately spun incorrectly by stating it's about politics, and others have the right idea but are abridged or inaccurate. Other stories and reactions have been discussed at the podcast Who? Weekly November 23, 2020 episode and The Phase.

November 20: Taylor posts a solo performance of the Tinted Windows song "Take Me Back" to his IGTV. It's officially a tribute to the late Adam Schlesinger, but the discussion around it left some fans wondering if it did not have an incidental double-meaning.

TAYLOR BREAKS SILENCE
December 6:
During Hanson.net Nightcap following the final Cain's performance, TAYLOR mentioned the Hansongate controversy by name but said nothing about it one way or another. Response from fans is mixed: some are relieved it has finally been officially acknowledged and others feel it is mere lipservice.

December 17: In tandem with the birth announcement of daughter Maybellene Alma Joy, TAYLOR posts another solo performance to Instagram; this time, for a new song "Sound like Joy." He uses the platform to raise awareness and call to support the restoration of the Vernon AME Church in Tulsa, "the only standing structure from the Historic Black Wall Street and the only edifice that remains from the worst race massacre in American history." This is overall viewed as a positive of the Black-affirming action fans have asked to see.

December 30: TAYLOR officially breaks his silence and makes a longer statement about Hansongate in an interview with Lyndsey Parker on SiriusXM VolumeWest. He talks about how he understands why their inaction was perceived as "less compassionate," and explains more from their position but carefully avoids discussing ZAC and ISAAC's actions which results in many parts of the conversation that fans need to hear being excluded. Discussion and transcript are found here.

Well, there's the basics of the story. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. But in a few weeks when Hanson is lauded on the Masked Singer stage I hope you give pause before you go out and buy any albums.

I find this whole thing really sad. Half of the fan base is like my sister, devoted to them for decades, getting many tattoos, travelling internationally for concerts and making many friends in their small but close knit community. Now all of those good times are tainted and friend has turned against friend all because the brothers are shit heads.

TL;DR - Hanson is on the masked singer (yet to be revealed). This past year a secret pinterest board of one of the members (Zac) was leaked, filled with vile memes denigrating basically anyone who isn't a cis-gendered, straight, white male. His brothers/bandmates really dragged their feet in outright condemning him and the band as a whole is trying to push it all under the rug. On top of that, they seem to be Covid deniers.

--------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Adding content from a post on the second page by Hero_of_the_Day that has examples of the types of memes Zac Hanson enjoys.

Last edited:

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
This is devastating. Both because of spoilers and secondly because I am still a fan of Hanson.

Into the trash bin.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Since 2016 I've just defaulted to assuming every (famous) person is problematic.

Mods please add LTTP to the thread title.

Also, Hanson fucking sucks. I like most, if not all, modern pop music but that shit is the definition of whack.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also, Hanson fucking sucks. I like most, if not all, modern pop music but that shit is the definition of whack.

I really liked their modern stuff. They've admitted to having huge influences from the black rock and blues scenes.

It makes their racists meme Pinterest board even more unfortunate because you wouldn't have guessed they felt that way.

I'm assuming they got caught up in the "us vs them/own the libs" conservative politics of today.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This story completely flew under my radar. I wasn't a big fan, but I was kinda happy this band cultivated this small but passionate fandom.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This story completely flew under my radar. I wasn't a big fan, but I was kinda happy this band cultivated this small but passionate fandom.

I thought about making a topic about "Hanson Gate" last year but decided that it wouldn't matter to enough people.

But they are about to be thrust into the public eye again in front of millions of viewers on this the show so I figured I should arm people with this info.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to have some of that documentation hosted on a site other than Instagram as it can't be seen unless you have an account.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. It's hard to tell. There's room for two people in the larger Russian Doll isn't there?

But yeah, dropping Zac would be the smart thing to do at this point.

Watching the video again I definitely hear Taylor and Isasc. Maybe Zac will appear during the next performance. I hope not.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time that there's been more than one person as a contestant?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Your post is more than anyone has written about Hanson in the last decade. I hadn't thought of them in years.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Damn, the refusal to say "black lives matter" and the war amongst fans is exactly what happened with Adam Young (Owl City) this past summer. None of the other stuff happened, of course, but the refusal to say BLM is insanely familiar. I still can't bring myself to listen to his music like I used to despite it being the thing that literally saved my life.

Oddly enough...

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Is unconfirmed speculation spoilers now? I thought the whole point of the Mask Singer was to guess who was under the mask? It's not like OP is reporting leaks or anything lol.
Yes, the whole point is to guess. When mega fans break down every clue and say "yep this is who they are" it takes the fun out of it for my wife and I who enjoy
trying to guess on our own or with our neighbors.

The show has actually commented on the fact that the "celebrities" are too easy to guess, and that's why they get less performances per season now.

I mean I'm not gonna sit here and think about this more than this post but it's kinda sucky.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes, the whole point is to guess. When mega fans break down every clue and say "yep this is who they are" it takes the fun out of it for my wife and I who enjoy
trying to guess on our own or with our neighbors.

The show has actually commented on the fact that the "celebrities" are too easy to guess, and that's why they get less performances per season now.

I mean I'm not gonna sit here and think about this more than this post but it's kinda sucky.

Like I said before, I almost posted this when it happened last year but figured no one would care. If they are indeed on this hugely popular TV show, people are definitely going to be paying attention to them soon.

If it is them, I wanted this information out there. Specifically before all the praise they will likely get drowns it out. Everyone should know what kind of people they are.