• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I liked Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, but I didn't like nowhere near how much I liked Pacino and Joe Pesci in the Irishman. I'm am surprised he has won awards for it. If I had to bet I would say Pesci takes it tonight.
Yeah I'm one of the few people who liked Pacino over Pesci in that movie too.

The award dinner scenes are too good.

Or the scenes with Tony Pro lol

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
If you want Joker to win just because you like Joker that's cool but the people who take this angle are always so weird to me, I don't get it at all.
i did like the joker, but i enjoy the tears more

plus its the fucking oscars, whoever wins this year gets to sit alongside with green book as best picture, hooray?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Brad Pitt playing Cliff Booth is one of those roles where, if Brad Pitt died tomorrow, that's the kind of character I'd like to think everyone would remember. So it's an easy fit to give him his first (likely only ever) Oscar for it, since he's not exactly an awards-caliber actor every time he steps in front of a camera.

Personally though, I would have nominated his turn in Jesse James.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I skip last years Oscars because I felt it was an awful year for Films (didn't like hardly anything that was nominated For 2018 compared to 2017).

this year, I'll watch it since I like a lot of the films this year. Tho seeing how it's kinda hard to watch the Oscars I might not be able too

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I look at the supporting actor nominations and still can't help but feel pissed off for Willem Dafoe. A goddamn disgrace he didn't get a nom for The Lighthouse. By far the best performance I saw in 2019 from any actor.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people online will stop dunking on Skyfall considering 1917 shows even more so that Mendes is a really good film maker.

I look at the supporting actor nominations and still can't help but feel pissed off for Willem Dafoe. A goddamn disgrace he didn't get a nom for The Lighthouse. By far the best performance I saw in 2019 from any actor.
I've seen Lighthouse and all the other movies and I honestly I understand him not getting in with Pesci, Pacino, Pitt, Hopkins, and Hanks. An incredibly stacked category. The only one I'd consider replacing for Willem Dafoe would be Anthony Hopkins.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm still annoyed by that snub. Love Tom Hanks but I would've bumped him off for Dafoe for sure.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I wonder if people online will stop dunking on Skyfall considering 1917 shows even more so that Mendes is a really good film maker.

I've seen Lighthouse and all the other movies and I honestly I understand him not getting in with Pesci, Pacino, Pitt, Hopkins, and Hanks. An incredibly stacked category. The only one I'd consider replacing for Willem Dafoe would be Anthony Hopkins.

The only one I havent seen is It's a Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood, so I can't really say if Hanks deserves the nom but imo Pesci and Hopkins didn't really do anything that made their performances seem award worthy. I'm not saying that they were bad or anything, but just way to subtle for my liking. I'm pulling for Pitt to win tho. Loved his performance

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Marriage Story. Yeah, I'm hoping it wins Best Picture, but really, I can't get too mad about any of the noms winning (haven't seen 1917, Little Women and Jojo Rabbit though).

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

DaFoe's performance deserved to be nominated. I'd actually say he would have been my winner above all of those other mentioned performances (not to say they are bad, but I think DaFoe is just amazing in that role)

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joker was the best imo but I also would be really happy if Parasite wins BP. 1917 would be a disappointment and probably that will be the outcome.

Also want Joaquin for best actor but Bandera's is the only second choice I accept.

Oct 25, 2017
México
1917 is going to win Best Cinematography, right?

I mean, you can think whatever you want about the film, but there is no denying that the film is an audiovisual orgasm.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Klaus should win best animated movie. But sadly is not gonna win. Probably Toy Story 4, even if it shouldnt.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen Parasite yet, but my personal favorite on the best picture list is Jojo Rabbit. It won't win though. Phoenix deserves an Oscar, but I have a feeling Adam Driver is going to get it.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Marriage Story. Yeah, I'm hoping it wins Best Picture, but really, I can't get too mad about any of the noms winning (haven't seen 1917, Little Women and Jojo Rabbit though).

Best Pic, really? I just watched it last night, and while the performances were phenomenal, I though the story was pretty weak.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Best Pic, really? I just watched it last night, and while the performances were phenomenal, I though the story was pretty weak.
I wasn't in it for the story. I was in it to go through the experience of a divorce and go through the emotions of these two people, and it did what it set out to do really well. It was also touching and hit at times. I thought it was beautiful.

They could have just nominated Portrait of a Lady on Fire or The Lighthouse and I would have given them my votes. But as I said, The Irishman or OUATIH taking it would be fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if the joker or parasite win a bunch of stuff it's probably one of the few years i'm aligned with the oscars. rooting for any.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Joker doesn't win BP. I found the movie to be just an incredibly ugly yawn that was just a redundant King of Comedy, and the fact that WB and some critics are trying to pivot the movie as an empathetic look at people who struggle with mental illness is revolting. The movie itself glorifies a murderer and scumbag, who at the end of the film, ultimately learns nothing about his behavior and is celebrated for it.

It's an incredibly ugly movie about inept, frustrated white male rage, but given that the Oscars prefers films that are popular and that celebrates the tastes of it largely white and conservative voting board, it seems like a shoe-in to win.

I still hope Parasite can swoop in for the last win, but I won't bet on it. It's not a "regular movie" as someone on the voting board said.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good VPN extension for Firefox that would let me watch the show on ABC?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about Joker and while I don't personally think it's great, (I thinks is decent to good). I feel the 2 Oscars it's favorite to win are worthy winners

Best Original score and
Best Actor for Joaquin Phoenix

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is Marriage Story worth seeing?

Also, hope old Johnny Williams wins, but I doubt it since TRoS shares no other non-technical noms.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Is Marriage Story worth seeing?

Also, hope old Johnny Williams wins, but I doubt it since TRoS shares no other non-technical noms.

It's worth seeing for the acting performances. But I found it incredibly miserable to sit through watching 2 people's relationship fall apart for over 2 hours & spend 90% of the movie bickering & fighting with each other.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm one of the few people who liked Pacino over Pesci in that movie too.

The award dinner scenes are too good.

Or the scenes with Tony Pro lol

Same here. Pacino was vintage Pacino in that film. I wanted to go sign up for a union after watching his performance as Jimmy Hoffa

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
If Joker wins will it incite violence? Don't really care about the Oscars or any awards but pulling for Joker and Phillips. The movie was getting torn up before it was even out. When nothing happened besides it being a monumental success everyone just vanished.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Implying that Jojo Rabbit is some sort of Wes Anderson rip-off is just ridiculous.

Jojo is a rare movie from the perspective of a genuine child. His logic was childish and we generally only saw the world from his limited perspective. Wes Anderson movies always have children talking/acting like adults. Wes' children characters are usually a bit more one dimensional too, and this is coming from a big Wes fan.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
After a garbage year in 2018 it's a strong field this year, plenty of worthy candidates.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Locked in. They're not great. And are biased for Parasite.

Best Picture - Parasite
Best Director - Sam Mendes
Best Actor - Phoenix
Best Actress - Zellweger
Supporting Actor - Pitt
Supporting Actress - Dern
Adapted Screenplay - Jojo Rabbit
Original Screenplay - Parasite
Animated - Klaus
Cinematography - 1917
Costume Design - Jojo Rabbit
Documentary - American Factory
Editing - Parasite
Foreign Film - Parasite
Makeup - Bombshell
Score - Joker
Song - Rocketman
Production Design - Parasite
Sound Editing - 1917
Sound Mixing - 1917
Visual Effects - 1917
Animated Short - Hair Love
Documentary Short - Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone
Live Action Short - The Neighbors' Window

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Good field this year. The only thing I'm really on the look-out for is to see if Joker wins best picture. That would be an extremely interesting selection in a year with films like 1917 and Parasite.

That being said, I won't be watching. Might track the results here on Era, though.