• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Scorsese applauding Bong Joon-Ho when he won best director.
F16MdDB.gif

When Bong-Joon Ho quotes Scorsese. I cried.
4lTTAEl.gif

This was so awesome. And Marty responded so well.

Ya gotta figure that of the nominees, Parasite would be the one that Scorsese would have a ton of respect for.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The Irishman could have won a bunch of Oscars (it's a great movie!) but it's no crime that it didn't win any because there were actually other great movies that were nominated this year along with the usual Oscar blandness
Yup. This was a really strong year. Marriage story was the best to me, but I'm not upset because it was such a stacked year.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Deakins went from the guy with a ton of nominations but no wins to a 2 time winner in 3 years! Happy for him.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So far of the winners, I've seen and enjoyed Parasite, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Rocketman, Joker, Ford vs Ferrari and Tuesday I was already going to see 1917. Also, I wouldn't have thought Parasite would have won quite as many awards as it walked away with, but I can't say it wasn't deserving.

Yup. This was a really strong year. Marriage story was the best to me, but I'm not upset because it was such a stacked year.

Had that on my Netflix list for about a week now. Maybe I should finally watch it.

Deakins went from the guy with a ton of nominations but no wins to a 2 time winner in 3 years! Happy for him.

Didn't really know him by name, so I looked up his work. Holy crap he's made many films look great.
edit: It appears that he is also considered the best, or at least among the very best contemporary cinematographers too.

Last edited:

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite was really good, I'm really happy it won Best Picture. The only other movie I saw from him was Snowpiercer, which I actually did not like that much.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't Pesci show? He really was the best part of The Irishman, but I wasn't a big fan of 'Scorsese Mob Drama IV" either.
He's old and wasn't going to win any of them. He was retired since 2000, only occasionally doing little things if he wanted to, this was his first major role in twenty years, he's living his private life now.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I want to petty quote certain people that kept telling me that Parasite wouldn't win

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
So glad Parasite got script and all the others, Deakins got his and Phoenix lead male, good picks in my book

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Wow really amazed that the parasite won. I have to see it now.

Also, the amount of ----- that the director will be getting back in South Korea....

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I still can't wipe the disbelief off my face. I didn't dream that Parasite would win BP (although I was hoping very much that it does). Groundbreaking win and hopefully this sets up more non-English films for nominations in the near future.

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's a little overrated as the best movie of the year.

IMHO, if the Academy nominated more competitive movies or if there were more competitive movies to choose from, for Best Picture, I'm sure Parasite wouldn't have won.

In other words, I think this year was a pretty weak year in terms of the movies that were nominated for BP, hence paving the way for a movie, like Parasite, to win the coveted award...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
IMHO, if the Academy nominated more competitive movies or if there were more competitive movies to choose from, for Best Picture, I'm sure Parasite wouldn't have won.

In other words, I think this year was a pretty weak year in terms of the movies that were nominated for BP, hence paving the way for a movie, like Parasite, to win the coveted award...
I can't say I agree with that, I've seen 8/9 of the nominees and other movies like Lighthouse and Uncut Gems and although they were really good I gotta say I think the nominations were the right choices. Knives Out deserved a nomination I think though.

Nov 5, 2017
I can't say I agree with that, I've seen 8/9 of the nominees and other movies like Lighthouse and Uncut Gems and although they were really good I gotta say I think the nominations were the right choices. Knives Out deserved a nomination I think though.

I think if it came down to choosing between Knives Out, 1917, and Parasite, I think Knives Out would've won...

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only person that was impressed by Pryce's rendition of Pope Francis? I'd have him over Joaquin, whose performance I really did like.
And I'd also have both Pesci and Pacino over Brad, whom I did like as well.
Other than that, it's cool that Parasite won the night. Now I just remembered that Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book won all the awards last year over Roma.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I think the acting montages were my favorite part of the night, and I missed Henry Hobson's fantastic title cards.

6cbce223917905.54eb49b02a184.jpg

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Parasite actually won best picture? I'm actually surprised.

Well done, Academy. For once, you chose correctly.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I'd rank the past decade's Oscar winners as follows:

1. Moonlight
2. The Shape of Water (With 2017 probably being my favorite year in film)
3. Roma (Just let me have this. Otherwise Green Book would be 10)

4. Parasite
5. Birdman

6.12 Years A Slave

7. Spotlight
8. The Artist

9. Argo
10. The King's Speech

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

1. Moonlight

4. Parasite
5. Birdman

6.12 Years A Slave

7. Spotlight
8. The Artist

9. Argo
10. The King's Speech

it's Parasite>>Moonlight>>Spotlight>>>>who gives a shit about the rest

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

1. Moonlight

4. Parasite
5. Birdman

6.12 Years A Slave

7. Spotlight
8. The Artist

9. Argo
10. The King's Speech

For me -

1. Parasite
2. Moonlight
3. The Shape of Water (may as well be tied with Moonlight, though)
4. Spotlight
5. Birdman
6. 12 Years a Slave
7. Argo
8. The Artist
9. The King's Speech
10. Green Book

Also, fun fact, 7 of the decade's 10 director Oscars went to foreign-born directors - Ang Lee, Alfonso Cuarron (2), Alejandro Inarritu (2), Guillermo del Toro, and now Bong.