• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
1. Parasite
2. The Shape of Water
3. Argo
4. Moonlight
5. Birdman
6.12 Years A Slave
7. Spotlight
8. Kings Speech
9.The Artist
10. Green Book (haven't seen)

pretty weak decade of winners. Yea these movies are all well made of course, but they have very little rewatchability.
My top 5 above are the only ones I'll ever watch again.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Moonlight
3. The Shape of Water
4. Spotlight
5. 12 Years a Slave
6. Birdman
7. The Artist
8. The King's Speech
9. Argo
10. Green Book

It has been a pretty good decade for Best Picture winners, with the top five being great. There were better winners most years but most of the choices weren't too bad. Green Book is pretty easily the worst one here, I wish Roma would have won instead. Argo has a lot of fans but it is just meh to me. I don't hate it or anything though and it is enjoyable.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that Mendes would have won for Best Director, because he won Best Director for the DGA (there was a pattern if a director won that award, they're locked in to win the Director Oscar).

Happy Bong won.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Moonlight
3. The Shape of Water
4. Spotlight
5. 12 Years a Slave
6. Birdman
7. The Artist
8. The King's Speech
9. Argo
10. Green Book

It has been a pretty good decade for Best Picture winners, with the top five being great. There were better winners most years but most of the choices weren't too bad. Green Book is pretty easily the worst one here, I wish Roma would have won instead. Argo has a lot of fans but it is just meh to me. I don't hate it or anything though and it is enjoyable.

I liked Argo and it blows me away it won Best Picture that year. That's insane.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'd add The Report too, really great movie with Adam Driver excellent there too.
I liked The Report but certainly don't think it excelled in anything and can't see where it would be nominated. Uncut Gems and The Farewell being totally absent are more absurd snubs imo

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot The shape of water was a thing. I hate that movie with passion and I adore Del Toro.

Parasite was great, but it clearly won because the competition wasn't big. Very glad for the team anyway.

Uncut gems was amazing and it sucks it didn't get even a nomination btw. If there was another movie this year that kept me in constant tension apart from Parasite it was UG.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Me @ Parasite and Bong
f7f12614c684caa15ce19c28c10cc767984c78ce.gifv

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Klaus got robbed.

I really enjoyed Toy Story 4, but it's obvious the Academy really don't care about animation.

I'm glad Deakins and Parasite won though.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
In today's "Fucking white people" episode, I just saw the "Castilian" and "Spanish" thing. Gotta love Americans trying so hard to be "sensitive" and failing so hard at basic fact-checking.
(Hint: Castilian is a word only used in Spain in official settings and/or when explicitly contextualizing with the existence of other Spanish languages like Basque, Catalan or Galician, in every other situation everyone uses "Spanish")

But hey, now I can add another language to my CV!

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Overall, quite a boring ceremony. No big surprises except for maybe Parasite winning director and best picture. Even though many of the award choices were terrible last year (Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody winning anything), the ceremony itself was more entertaining.

Parasite winning stuff was great but the speeches were kinda crippled by the use of interpreter. How do you direct several films in English but not learn the language enough to give a short award acceptance speech? Phoenix gave like the only really memorable speech. I still have no idea what Zellweger was going on about.

I liked the performances of the nominated songs (though it was a very weak year for the category) but they should have cut all the other musical performances. I love Janelle Monae but that opening was quite weak and kept oddly highlighting films that were barely nominated for anything. The weird rap recap of the show was just bad and unnecessary. Eminem was good but just super random and unnecessary.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my favorite movie of this year or Korean movie but Parasite deserves to win all it can.
I can't say the same for Toy Story 4, sequel number 4 winning a movie award it's a little absurd. Maybe if it would haven't won before or it was a bad year for animated movies, but with Klaus or I Lost my Body in the category, it could be something different.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I'm just as shocked as many other people today. I remember myself weeks ago, making these conjectures about how Parasite could win big, which one between Directing and Film could go its way, bla bla, bla bla... But I never imagined in a million years that the Academy (this Academy) would reward what's pretty much unarguably the best film of the year in both categories. Truly an amazing couple of choices, another step in the right direction for inclusivity and films with a relevant message, no matter where they come from or in which language they've been written. After the PGAs and BAFTAs, it was hard to believe in some other film but 1917 winning. Yet there was a remote chance, considering that Best Film here is chosen by the whole body of members, and that's exactly what happened.

No disrepect to Sam Mendes' film, which it has its own share of virtues, I was petrified with the amount of accolades it was collecting in the last few weeks; to me it's a bland war-based attraction in the footsteps of the works by directors like Cuarón or Iñárritu, taking it as far as the mimicking of Lubezki's camera language by the also legendary Roger Deakins, whose triumph tonight is more than justified, if anything, by all those times he never got it. I thought it unbelievable to see this film towering the rest, after the many war films that didn't make it in the last 30 years; almost as difficult to justify as a second Oscar for Directing to Mendes, when sitting not far from him there's a man named Martin Scorsese who's living history of this medium (1 of 9 nominations in the category after tonight) or directors like Joon-Ho who had all the traction to win, except in the (prejudiced) American industry.

I think It's quite apparent that, as a regular moviegoer, I couldn't be happier with all this situation. ;)

PS: Aside of these two big "surprises", the only puzzling moment in what was a predictable night has to be in the Animated Film category: ignored in the ANNIEs, defeated again in the BAFTAs, yet once again Toy Story and Disney took the statuette home. It could happen, and therefore, it did.

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Little Women is one of the best, smartest adapted screenplays I've had the pleasure of seeing performed

The screenplay of JoJo Rabbit is the film's weakest element

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It's not my favorite movie of this year or Korean movie but Parasite deserves to win all it can.
I can't say the same for Toy Story 4, sequel number 4 winning a movie award it's a little absurd. Maybe if it would haven't won before or it was a bad year for animated movies, but with Klaus or I Lost my Body in the category, it could be something different.
PS: Aside of these two big "surprises", the only puzzling moment in what was a predictable night has to be in the Animated Film category: ignored in the ANNIEs, defeated again in the BAFTAs, yet once again Toy Story and Disney took the statuette home. It could happened, and therefore, it did.
I think the take-home message from Toy Story 4 win is that there is still a certain segment in the Academy that will not vote for a Netflix film.

In general, Netflix did really badly considering the amount of nominations it had: 24 nominations for 8 different films and only 2 wins (supporting actress & documentary feature).

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Would've loved to see Joker win Cinematography, but 1917 is a great choice too. Quite happy with most of the winners this year tbh.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is the Joker the only character to receive two acting Oscars with completely different actors and portrayals?

EDIT: I guess there's Vito Corleone if you count that as a different portrayal despite being in the same continuity.

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I think the take-home message from Toy Story 4 win is that there is still a certain segment in the Academy that will not vote for a Netflix film.

In general, Netflix did really badly considering the amount of nominations it had: 24 nominations for 8 different films and only 2 wins (supporting actress & documentary feature).
It was in my mind, yeah. The thing is they did better in terms of awards last year with Roma (though we could say not winning the Film award was in direct negation of Netflix). So it's hard to set a pattern, if there's a format or company thing still going on, or it was simply that these nominated movies didn't have much of a chance, to begin with. It was expected for The Irishman and Marriage Story to do pretty bad tonight, so that was a lot of nominations discarded from the start.

I'll have to see the studio numbers later, I think others like Sony Pictures had it similar: won at least three, but Hollywood and Little Women had 16 nominations or so; aside of Parasite, no film had a good percentage of winning: Joker is... 2 of 11? 1917 is 3 of 10. It was very spread out tonight.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hot take time.

I didnt think Laura Dern was anything special in Marriage Story :(

She wasn't and I love Laura Dern. Additionally, she was on screen for like 10 minutes?

Really glad Parasite won, even though it was only my 4th favorite one out of the bunch. That says a lot about how great this year was though!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Managed to catch up on the ceremony, was actually quite enjoyable (I even laughed at James Corden taking the piss out of himself and I despise that man).

Edit: I did not see that Eminem performance, I take back everything I said.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
She wasn't and I love Laura Dern. Additionally, she was on screen for like 10 minutes?

this was the second thing I was gonna say, she's barely in the movie. It's weird, and I actually really liked it and thought Adam Driver was amazing in it (ScarJo also), like I dont mind Joaquin winning for Joker, but I wouldnt mind Driver winning either.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
hot take time.

I didnt think Laura Dern was anything special in Marriage Story :(
That's a warmish take at best. Both Dern's and Pitt's Oscars were at least partly lifetime achievement awards. They also both had several good performances this year which also often helps (Ad Astra & OUATIH for Pitt, Marriage Story & Little Women for Dern).

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Would've loved to see Joker win Cinematography, but 1917 is a great choice too. Quite happy with most of the winners this year tbh.
Lighthouse for me, although actually Willem Dafoe should've been nominated for best supporting actor - and won. Can't complain about Deakins scoring another Oscar though, dude has an amazing eye. Was so happy to see him win with Bladerunner 2049.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Well, I'm just as shocked as many other people today. I remember myself weeks ago, making these conjectures about how Parasite could win big, which one between Directing and Film could go its way, bla bla, bla bla... But I never imagined in a million years that the Academy (this Academy) would reward what's pretty much unarguably the best film of the year in both categories. Truly an amazing couple of choices, another step in the right direction for inclusivity and films with a relevant message, no matter where they come from or in which language they've been written. After the PGAs and BAFTAs, it was hard to believe in some other film but 1917 winning. Yet there was a remote chance, considering that Best Film here is chosen by the whole body of members, and that's exactly what happened.

No disrepect to Sam Mendes' film, which it has more its share of virtues, I was petrified with the amount of accolades it was collecting in the last few weeks; to me it's a bland war-based attraction in the footsteps of the works by directors like Cuarón or Iñárritu, taking it as far as the mimicking of Lubezki's camera language by the also legendary Roger Deakins, whose triumph tonight is more than justified, if anything, by all those times he never got it. I thought it unbelievable to see this film towering the rest, after the many war films that didn't make it in the last 30 years; almost as difficult to justify as a second Oscar for Directing to Mendes, when sitting not far from him there's a man named Martin Scorsese who's living history of this medium (1 of 9 nominations in the category after tonight) or directors like Joon-Ho who had all the traction to win, except in the (prejudiced) American industry.

I think It's quite apparent that, as a regular moviegoer, I couldn't be happier with all this situation. ;)

PS: Aside of these two big "surprises", the only puzzling moment in what was a predictable night has to be in the Animated Film category: ignored in the ANNIEs, defeated again in the BAFTAs, yet once again Toy Story and Disney took the statuette home. It could happened, and therefore, it did.

Completely agree on 1917, was starting to getting shilled hard on here by some, for whatever reason ... * hi people who don't like subtitles ;) *

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Nice to see Phoenix get the Best Actor award, deserved. This review has aged like milk, Joker really deserved more critical recognition.

In Joker — playing in competition here at the Venice Film Festival — Phoenix is acting so hard you can feel the desperation throbbing in his veins. He leaves you wanting to start him a GoFundMe, so he won't have to pour so much sweat into his job again. But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn't completely his fault. (He has often been, and generally remains, a superb actor. Just not here.)

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will signal a change and more foreign films will get a chance at winning best picture?

... nah they'll probably think you had yours, now back to us.

Oct 29, 2017
With this second Deakins win also being a VFX win for their film, and the VFXs win of First Man last year, I think the pattern I'm sensing with VFX wins from now on is that if the votes continue to be split among GCI heavy hitters with comparable level technology, then the one that comes on top is going to be a film that just looks great because of cinematography, even if the effects are more invisible.

Though it was already common in the last decade for VFX and cinematography to come in pairs, the best fully digital characters have not had the best of records against films with better photography.

Last edited:

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
This should be known, Parasite was not only the longshot, it was the most unlikely winner.
I feel like that's a bit dramatic.

Parasite had the buzz and momentum. Which historically is a thing when it comes to Academy voting. Also, the Academy voter demographic is drastically different than it was say ten years ago.

If anything, films like Little Women, Ford vs Ferrari and Marriage Story were huge long shots. The type of films, the Academy acknowledges, but never give Best Picture too, unless it's a weak year.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So how solid is the movie Renee Zelwegger won her Best Actress for? I'd not even heard of it before now

Her speech taught me some people don't understand or care to appreciate the leap you make when you win a supporting vs. lead Oscar . Some very childish, petty people in here, you pretty much have to be to want to police the way someone reacts to such a momentous life event. Like, change the channel if it's that's hard to sit through folks.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Couldn't watch all of it yesterday was too tired

really happy for Joquain Phoenix and Joker! Well deserved.
Would also have liked BP but I am also happy korean cinema getting the international recognition it deserves. Also loved seeing Kang-ho Song! One of my all time fav.

Oct 28, 2017
Her speech taught me some people don't understand or care to appreciate the leap you make when you win a supporting vs. lead Oscar . Some very childish, petty people in here, you pretty much have to be to want to police the way someone reacts to such a momentous life event. Like, change the channel if it's that's hard to sit through folks.

I just looked at the results, didn't wach the show.

You see the movie?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see Phoenix get the Best Actor award, deserved. This review has aged like milk, Joker really deserved more critical recognition.

In Joker — playing in competition here at the Venice Film Festival — Phoenix is acting so hard you can feel the desperation throbbing in his veins. He leaves you wanting to start him a GoFundMe, so he won't have to pour so much sweat into his job again. But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn't completely his fault. (He has often been, and generally remains, a superb actor. Just not here.)

I see what you did there with the milk reference.

But yeah lmao, I remember this review. Some people really wanted this movie to fail, but thankfully the Academy has good taste :)

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They really should have a real animation industry jury in the best animated movie (and short).
Only time they have got it right even when the typical odds were not in their favour for not being a pixar movie was spiderverse.
Remember when the lego movie was not even nominated?
Remember when happy feet won because the academy knew cars was not respected by the majority of the audience but they still failed to give it to the better smaller movies that year?
Remember when Brave won a year when the same company had a better movie with Ralph?
Rememver every time the smaller foreign movies get snubbed because not a lot of people have watch them?
And yes, Pixar most of the time deserves wins, but not every fucking time except when they release fucking Cars.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
With the award season mostly passed I am here hopefully thinking that the talk about "blockbuster killed movie industry" will die down. 2019 is a great year for moviegoers

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Sigh, I give up on the animated "I dunno, just pick the Pixar one." movie award. :| The only category I'd consider myself actually worthy of an opinion. Toy Story 4? Really? Klaus was sooo much better.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sigh, I give up on the animated "I dunno, just pick the Pixar one." movie award. :| The only category I'd consider myself actually worthy of an opinion. Toy Story 4? Really? Klaus was sooo much better.
Pretty much.

I enjoyed Toy Story 4 but it didn't deserve the win in my eyes.

The Academy really don't give a shit about animation.