• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite was great, but it clearly won because the competition wasn't big. Very glad for the team anyway.
What?

This was one of the strongest years in film in a while.Liked half if not most of the other nominees would have won in other years. Parasite's success shows just how great it truly is

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What?

This was one of the strongest years in film in a while.Liked half if not most of the other nominees would have won in other years. Parasite's success shows just how great it truly is

Frankly I ain't gonna bother with anyone that's implying or explicitly saying that Parasite is overrated lol

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Parasite winning stuff was great but the speeches were kinda crippled by the use of interpreter. How do you direct several films in English but not learn the language enough to give a short award acceptance speech?

Do you not realize the importance of being the first non-english movie to win the oscar and the remarkable achievement in being the first person from your country to win such a prestigious award, and being able to speak in your language at one of the biggest stages in the world for millions of people worldwide? Even if he talked a perfect english, it's understandable that he would prefer to speak in his language.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
i missed Phoenix's speech last night and just watched it. That was something else.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I still haven't been able to watch Parasite. It just opened last thrusday. Will check it out in a few weeks (I hope it's still screening)

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Do you not realize the importance of being the first non-english movie to win the oscar and the remarkable achievement in being the first person from your country to win such a prestigious award, and being able to speak in your language at one of the biggest stages in the world for millions of people worldwide? Even if he talked a perfect english, it's understandable that he would prefer to speak in his language.
I don't think it was about national pride or anything like that rather than just him not speaking English very well. I haven't seen a single interview or awards speech with him without an interpreter. I was just wondering how does it work making a film without understanding the actors or the dialogue being spoken. He must have the whole script in both English and Korean. I guess that's why both his English-language films have a native speaker as a co-writer.

I just found the use of an interpreter weird because I can't remember anyone else ever using one at the Oscars. All the recent foreign-language film winners did their speeches in English. Hildur Guðnadóttir (first Icelandic winner ever) also did her speech in English last night.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was about national pride or anything like that rather than just him not speaking English very well. I haven't seen a single interview or awards speech with him without an interpreter. I was just wondering how does it work making a film without understanding the actors or the dialogue being spoken. He must have the whole script in both English and Korean. I guess that's why both his English-language films have a native speaker as a co-writer.

I just found the use of an interpreter weird because I can't remember anyone else ever using one at the Oscars. All the recent foreign-language film winners did their speeches in English. Hildur Guðnadóttir (first Icelandic winner ever) also did her speech in English last night.

Do you think Parasite is an English speaking movie?

He's a South Korean director his movie dialog is in Korean the actors are Korean they speak Korean. This is the first time a South Korean

movie has one best International Picture let alone best picture.

Edit: I'm dumb and forgot about Okja and Snowpiecer

Last edited:

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Sigh, I give up on the animated "I dunno, just pick the Pixar one." movie award. :| The only category I'd consider myself actually worthy of an opinion. Toy Story 4? Really? Klaus was sooo much better.

Klaus was great. So were How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Missing Link and Toy Story 4. Haven't watched I Lost My Body yet. But it was a great year for animated movies and any one of them could have won.

Toy Story 4 is brilliantly animated but not just that, it brought certain cinematography techniques normally used in film to animation for the first time (see: https://nofilmschool.com/toy-story-4-pixar-cinematography) and thus moved the field forward. In this light I see it as similar to Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, which also brought "new" to the field of animation. That the movie managed to have a good story that changed the life of a main character in ways the previous movies did not, when the series seemed wrapped up neatly after 3, helped.

In a *very* tough field, I wouldn't have begrudged any of them winning (aside from I Lost My Body but only because I haven't seen it), and I'm absolutely fine with TS4 getting the win.

Edit: Be sure to watch the video at the link above. It explains exactly what was so brilliant about the how Toy Story 4 was "filmed".

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't really have a horse in this race. But at least I'm glad 1917 didn't win Best Picture as that would've been such a boring choice even though that film was amazing.

I just wanted to add my +1 to the Uncut Gem being snubbed of a nomination conversation after seeing it yesterday. Great film, and great acting!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man.

Yeah, it wasn't the bottom of the barrel choice. It's still a foreign film. They rarely see any love outside of the designated categories.

Two months ago I would've agreed, but leading up to it I really felt it was 1917 or Parasite. I wasn't shocked either way.

Im more shocked that Uncut Gems didn't get any noms.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
In today's "Fucking white people" episode, I just saw the "Castilian" and "Spanish" thing. Gotta love Americans trying so hard to be "sensitive" and failing so hard at basic fact-checking.
(Hint: Castilian is a word only used in Spain in official settings and/or when explicitly contextualizing with the existence of other Spanish languages like Basque, Catalan or Galician, in every other situation everyone uses "Spanish")

But hey, now I can add another language to my CV!

What should they have called it to distinguish it from the Latin American Spanish version?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Klaus was great. So were How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Missing Link and Toy Story 4. Haven't watched I Lost My Body yet. But it was a great year for animated movies and any one of them could have won.

Toy Story 4 is brilliantly animated but not just that, it brought certain cinematography techniques normally used in film to animation for the first time (see: https://nofilmschool.com/toy-story-4-pixar-cinematography) and thus moved the field forward. In this light I see it as similar to Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, which also brought "new" to the field of animation. That the movie managed to have a good story that changed the life of a main character in ways the previous movies did not, when the series seemed wrapped up neatly after 3, helped.

In a *very* tough field, I wouldn't have begrudged any of them winning (aside from I Lost My Body but only because I haven't seen it), and I'm absolutely fine with TS4 getting the win.
From a technical standpoint I am more impressed by the movie magic of Laika's unbelievable stop motion craft that always leaves my jaw hanging. Or the incredible shading/lighting techniques used in Klaus, not a single hand-drawn animated movie looks like that. When I watched Klaus and Missing Link I often thought to myself...how. This isn't a question I ever ask myself with CGI animated movies.

To be honest, I didn't really love any of these nominees, but I would've preferred to have rewarded Laika or SPA over the umpteenth Disney flick.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In today's "Fucking white people" episode, I just saw the "Castilian" and "Spanish" thing. Gotta love Americans trying so hard to be "sensitive" and failing so hard at basic fact-checking.
(Hint: Castilian is a word only used in Spain in official settings and/or when explicitly contextualizing with the existence of other Spanish languages like Basque, Catalan or Galician, in every other situation everyone uses "Spanish")

but it was contextualizing with the existence of other Spanish languages (Latin American Spanish — what is known as Spanish here)

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
User Banned (1 Month) : Xenophobic trolling across multiple posts
Do you think Parasite is an English speaking movie?

He's a South Korean director his movie dialog is in Korean the actors are Korean they speak Korean. This is the first time a South Korean movie has one best International Picture let alone best picture.
The point was that Roma, A Fantastic Woman, The Salesman, Son of Saul, Ida, The Great Beauty, Amour, A Separation, Pan's Labyrinth, Talk to Her, La Vie En Rose, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...etc are also not in English but their Oscar speeches were.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
From a technical standpoint I am more impressed by the movie magic of Laika's unbelievable stop motion craft that always leaves my jaw hanging. Or the incredible shading/lighting techniques used in Klaus, not a single hand-drawn animated movie looks like that. When I watched Klaus and Missing Link I often thought to myself...how. This isn't a question I ever ask myself with CGI animated movies.

To be honest, I didn't really love any of these nominees, but I would've preferred to have rewarded Laika or SPA over the umpteenth Disney flick.

Did you watch the video at the link? Here's the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZ2OY5-TeM

Calling TS4 "the umpteenth Disney flick" is a bit dismissive. It was no rushed out cash grab.

I loved Klaus too, and am a huge fan of Laika (although I thought Kubo was better than Missing Link and think it should have won in 2017) and would have liked to see it win, but Toy Story 4 is special too. Just in a different way.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

also who cares

Oct 25, 2017
[
The point was that Roma, A Fantastic Woman, The Salesman, Son of Saul, Ida, The Great Beauty, Amour, A Separation, Pan's Labyrinth, Talk to Her, La Vie En Rose, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...etc are also not in English but their Oscar speeches were.

So? It's an awards speech

The post I replied to was wondering how he could direct without understanding the actors or dialog

He doesn't need to speak English because he doesn't make English speaking movies.

hmwithuva

Jan 5, 2020

yeah, whatever
as much as you would like to think that the English language is the most important language in the world sometimes it just isn't.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the video at the link? Here's the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZ2OY5-TeM

Calling TS4 "the umpteenth Disney flick" is a bit dismissive. It was no rushed out cash grab.

I loved Klaus too, and am a huge fan of Laika (although I thought Kubo was better than Missing Link and think it should have won in 2017) and would have liked to see it win, but Toy Story 4 is special too. Just in a different way.
Agreed. TS4 cinematography was very good.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen it. Their recreation of camera/lens techniques and trickery is neat but doesn't really blow my mind. And yes, when Toy Story FOUR wins the THIRTEENTH Disney Oscar for an animated movie, I'm gonna call it the umpteenth Disney flick to win the veritable yearly Disney award.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Really awesome, thanks for posting.

Sep 17, 2018
6fea_academy-worldmap-smsll.jpg

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017

Look up why Ichiro uses an interpreter in interviews and press conferences despite knowing English. I figure it's the same kind of deal.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

I think even Spanish shows like Elite get dubbed in "Spanish" in LATAM. It's weird man.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Dude who gives a fuck? He could have given his speech in sign language and it wouldn't have made any difference. Why are you so hung up on such an arbitrary factor?

Oh you're banned...

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that the Oscars missed a few people during their in memorial segment, and I don't understand why.

Sid Haig, Larry Cohen, John Carl Buechler, Billy Drago, and Luke Perry.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017

This quote is from a recent NYT opinion piece on the subject of diversity:

Hollywood's westerns popularized and cemented the image of the North American cowboy as white, and only white, through the likes of John Ford and John Wayne. Yet, as Leah Williams noted in The Atlantic, the earliest ranch owners and ranch hands were Spanish and Native American.

How can anybody denounce racism, lack of representation or, in general, the race issue in the industry, and at the same time be part of the problem with tone-deaf, unsensitive remarks such as this? I believe that many people still have a long way to go until becoming the advocates of equality that they see themselves for.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that the Oscars missed a few people during their in memorial segment, and I don't understand why.

Sid Haig, Larry Cohen, John Carl Buechler, Billy Drago, and Luke Perry.

I believe it is only members of the academy

e: apparently that isn't the case but they exclude people known more for TV? and other "political" considerations

www.nytimes.com

Even for the Dead, There’s a Race to Make the A-List at Oscars (Published 2013)

A spot on the yearly scroll of recently deceased movie luminaries has become one of the most hotly contested honors of the Oscar show.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, I would say that Parasite, 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight are the top tier Oscar winners of that decade.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Why doesn't the Oscars upload awards speeches? Forget that people outside of the us can't really watch it but please what kind of dumb shit is this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Is it really so mind boggling to consider that maybe he understands English just fine but is more comfortable speaking in Korean?

Yeah this was a great moment, on top of Bong winning the director's award which was the most surprising upset I'd seen in years.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

The big news story is not that Parasite won BP, it's Bong used a translator! Only ERA.

Seems to be more of a twitter thing that some bozo was trying out here.

Anyway...

Regarding Parasite-- one thing I love about the movie is that I liked it pretty well when I watched it but it's gotten better and better as I have thought about it. The only other movie that really improved on reflection for me was The Irishman.

I'm very happy Parasite won.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
As for Toy Story 4, it's not a bad movie by any means. Hell, it's even a great film, but it's arguably the weakest film on the list. Even How to Train Your Dragon 3 treated its characters better considering what they did to Buzz Lightyear. That that doesn't even mention the second LEGO Movie snub. People point out there's still a bit of a Disney/Pixar bias when it comes to animated features. It's not Brave levels of bad, but it's still glaring especially when the Oscar's got it mostly right this year outside the snubs. Missing Link and Klaus were better, and I bet I Lost My Body probably was too.