• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be more of a twitter thing that some bozo was trying out here.

Anyway...

Regarding Parasite-- one thing I love about the movie is that I liked it pretty well when I watched it but it's gotten better and better as I have thought about it. The only other movie that really improved on reflection for me was The Irishman.

I'm very happy Parasite won.

All the more reason not to incite that nonsense here.

Nov 13, 2017
Parasite winning stuff was great but the speeches were kinda crippled by the use of interpreter. How do you direct several films in English but not learn the language enough to give a short award acceptance speech? Phoenix gave like the only really memorable speech. I still have no idea what Zellweger was going on about.

If anyone needs a tangible example of the bigoted dog whistling that happens on this forum, here ya go.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Random question, I never watched a movie in IMAX-Dolby format (?), I am thinking about giving it a try this week. I want to watch Birds of Prey, should I? This is not about the movie itself, but about it being IMAX, if it will be a good choice for me to notice the difference from a normal screening.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Parasite yet, but I'm super glad it won. My Oscar ballot was super cynical and expecting either the war movie or the Hollywood movie to win like they usually do so seeing something so out of the Academy's arrogant-ass comfort zone taking BP is great. Congrats to Parasite and the cast and crew.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the show last night. It walked the line of self-satirized chaos really well.

Janelle Monae performance referencing a bunch of films that didn't get nominated to start off the show.

Chris Rock and Steve Martin shitting all over the nominations and lack of diversity.

Eminem showing up 17 years late to the Oscars.

Random guy who didn't even tell us his name coming up with an impromptu rap summarizing the ceremony thus far.

Taika with that natural comedic timing.

Joaquin declaring war on milk.

Zellweger's 5 min gratitude rant.

Bong just wanted to GTFO off the stage and get drunk with Scorsese.

GF and I were cracking up throughout the show.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome that Parasite won - it was my favorite movie of the year. Really not a lot of complaints with the winners here (for once). Only thing that really jumps out at me is I would probably have given the best lead awards to the stars of Marriage Story. Adam Driver's performance was more impressive than Phoenix's, but I will say I haven't seen Judy so that take is a bit less informed.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Oscars contractually obligated to fill out 3 hours of airtime? Because there was a ton of padding they could have easily cut from the show: long sizzle reels before acting, doc, and international categories; people introducing other people; song nominee performances; that one guy recapping the whole show; also Emimen for some reason? And then they inevitably start rushing through the final categories because they're going over on time. Like, what? There's a ton of shit they could've dropped to cut a whole hour off the show.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Just finished Judy. I can see why Zellweger won. She elevates the movie, is sympathetic, heartfelt and the musical parts are great - but there was not as much of that in it as I was expecting and the drama parts was kind of soap opera - ish. Kind of surprised the girl who played young Judy didn't get a supporting nod - she was wonderful.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What should they have called it to distinguish it from the Latin American Spanish version?
but it was contextualizing with the existence of other Spanish languages (Latin American Spanish — what is known as Spanish here)
There shouldn't be a distinction because it's the same language. It's every bit as stupid as if someone made a distinction between "English" and "American".

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
My folks are mad that Parasite won and not Once Upon, not because Parasite isn't worthy though. They have this nostalgic connection to the timeline and events of that movie that make it way more enjoyable to their generation I think.

I liked Parasite, but I also haven't seen half the movies nominated.

Jan 10, 2018
I haven't seen Parasite yet, but I'm super glad it won. My Oscar ballot was super cynical and expecting either the war movie or the Hollywood movie to win like they usually do so seeing something so out of the Academy's arrogant-ass comfort zone taking BP is great. Congrats to Parasite and the cast and crew.

Parasite had bigger buzz than Spiderverse thanks to the filmcrew, which is like the one way to beat guaranteed winners.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't the Oscars upload awards speeches? Forget that people outside of the us can't really watch it but please what kind of dumb shit is this.
They do, their youtube has basically all the Oscar ceremonies speech by speech going back decades (given it's really hard to find older Oscar broadcasts it's a good archive). But it's not uploaded immediately, the 2020 ceremony might be a little while if it isn't up already.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I really enjoyed the show last night. It walked the line of self-satirized chaos really well.

Janelle Monae performance referencing a bunch of films that didn't get nominated to start off the show.

Chris Rock and Steve Martin shitting all over the nominations and lack of diversity.

Eminem showing up 17 years late to the Oscars.

Random guy who didn't even tell us his name coming up with an impromptu rap summarizing the ceremony thus far.

Taika with that natural comedic timing.

Joaquin declaring war on milk.

Zellweger's 5 min gratitude rant.

Bong just wanted to GTFO off the stage and get drunk with Scorsese.

GF and I were cracking up throughout the show.

Basically how I felt. I haven't seen Parasite so I can't comment but love that a foreign film won. Happy for that whole team and will definitely check it out this weekend.

But man reading this thread. A bunch of jaded joykills who enjoy nothing. Show was fine. Some ppl were funny. Some weren't. Oscars always have performances. Was pleasantly surprised to see the surprise Em performance. Of course the crown full of old white ppl in tuxedos is going to look and react weird to a rap performance though you did see the younger ppl reciting the lyrics along. Ppl just have a raging hate boner for everything.

Also don't get how ppl determine who actually deserved it or if the academy got it right. It's subjective. This isn't hard math that they got the right answer to.

Long show but it was fun to watch. If it isn't why do you even watch? It's pretty much the same every year.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What?

This was one of the strongest years in film in a while.Liked half if not most of the other nominees would have won in other years. Parasite's success shows just how great it truly is

This. Heck I don't think I would've nominated any of last year's field for Best Picture this year. 2019 was a great year for film.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
There shouldn't be a distinction because it's the same language. It's every bit as stupid as if someone made a distinction between "English" and "American".
They're localizations, not literal translations. There can be slight differences in the texts and accents, and each local industry has their own voice talents to promote. There are also two versions of Mandarin (Chinese and Taiwanese) and Portuguese (European and Brazilian), and they all have different titles of the songs. There were also French and French Canadian versions of the movie, though the song is the same for both.

And it looks like there literally is a Catalan version of the song. Gisela recorded both "Un lloc secret" (Catalan) and "Mucho más allá" (European Spanish).

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny that Joaquin has had to give so many speeches this awards season that he's pretty much run through just about every cause he cares about, now including cow's milk.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
0k5zg1dwp3g41.jpg

I had no idea Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara was a thing. Maybe the cutest couple of all time.

*edit to add, they are indeed eating vegan burgers

*edit 2, source: @GregWilliamsPhotography

Last edited:

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movies almost never have separate English and American English dubs, so there isn't really much of a need for a distinction. Movies and even video games frequently do have separate Spanish and Latin American dubs. It'd be weird to have the actresses from both dubs up there and have them both just be labeled as Spanish even though yes it's obviously the same language. Usually, I see it labeled as Spanish and Latin American Spanish though, so that part was different.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

English (US) vs English (UK) is a common distinction

8pzmBhu.png

It isn't relevant here though, because unlike LATAM spanish there is not a separate english dub for Frozen 2. This isn't something that was done for the Oscars -- the entire movie is available in Latin Spanish and Castilian Spanish with entirely different casts. Also French Canadian and French or Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. You should probably let the studio know they wasted their time

The combined song isn't an Oscars thing either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgPmy8RnlCA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still absolutely baffled by Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse getting snubbed entirely.

Parasite, Phoenix, Dern and JoJo absolutely deserves what they got though.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And controversial stuff like Waves, which had reasons to disappear into the ether.. but like Green book didn't so

I liked Waves, although the pacing seemed off. I don't know. It felt like the last 20 minutes or so had that fade away that made you think it was over.

I really like the subject though. Some more tweaking would have made it a much better film.