• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
0k5zg1dwp3g41.jpg

I had no idea Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara was a thing. Maybe the cutest couple of all time.

They're adorable <3

Anyelocp

Mar 28, 2019
The point was that Roma, A Fantastic Woman, The Salesman, Son of Saul, Ida, The Great Beauty, Amour, A Separation, Pan's Labyrinth, Talk to Her, La Vie En Rose, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...etc are also not in English but their Oscar speeches were.

Jesus. People need to open their mind, english is not the only lenguage, the world is bigger than that. Jesus..

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still absolutely baffled by Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse getting snubbed entirely.

Parasite, Phoenix, Dern and JoJo absolutely deserves what they got though.

I totally understand why Lighthouse would get ignored, just way too arthouse for Oscars, but Uncut Gems not getting any noms did shock/sadden me.

My top three last year were easily Lighthouse, Uncut Gems and Parasite, not in any order.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
In general I'm just kinda not too big on awards for playing a real person from history, it feels weird. Scarlett deserved it for her bodacious performance in Marriage Story, probably Driver too. That thing was carried entirely by the power of the acting and it was tremendous.

BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN JUDY

like probably most people

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
In general I'm just kinda not too big on awards for playing a real person from history, it feels weird. Scarlett deserved it for her bodacious performance in Marriage Story, probably Driver too. That thing was carried entirely by the power of the acting and it was tremendous.

BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN JUDY

like probably most people
I'm very bored of the "play a caricature of a famous person, usually in heavy makeup" role winning Oscars, especially when they tend to come in boilerplate biopics.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Tobias had a great piece arguing Scarlett Johansson's case for best actress. He does a great job detailing her career to this point and the importance of the role within the movie.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...e-in-marriage-story?__twitter_impression=true
I'm reminded of Sean Penn winning (another) Oscar for a standard biopic film over Mickey Rourke's role in The Wrestler, not only a fantastic performance but one laced with subtext from his own career and life, and in a better film to boot. That one was bullshit.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of Sean Penn winning (another) Oscar for a standard biopic film over Mickey Rourke's role in The Wrestler, not only a fantastic performance but one laced with subtext from his own career and life, and in a better film to boot. That one was bullshit.
Oh goddamn I forgot about that. I remember being really upset then.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
This was probably one of the more stronger years for best picture. I saw all the nominated films and would have been happy with any of them winning.

And yeah some great films didn't make the cut. But unless you get a campaign off the ground it won't happen.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh goddamn I forgot about that. I remember being really upset then.
Tell me about it, it's been over a decade since then and I still vividly remember The Wrestler and its key scenes (including the Springsteen song over the credits), but not a single frame of Penn's film comes to mind.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Scott Tobias had a great piece arguing Scarlett Johansson's case for best actress. He does a great job detailing her career to this point and the importance of the role within the movie.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...e-in-marriage-story?__twitter_impression=true
Scarlett says a lot of really stupid shit lately but she has worked very hard throughout her career (basically since she was a teenager) and been snubbed a ton of times for some great performances. Overnight, she basically went from someone that was consistently slept on by AMPAS to being a two-time nominee. She did a phenomenal job in Marriage Story and I would have loved to have seen her win with it.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I haven't seen Judy but I definitely think Scarlett deserved to win.

"Judy" is not very good (not bad neither, but it could be much better) but Renée's performance is fantastic in the film. You can tell she put her whole soul into it . I'm a fan of Scarlett, and even a bigger fan of Saoirse, but I can't deny that Renée's Oscar was fully deserved.

Tell me about it, it's been over a decade since then and I still vividly remember The Wrestler and its key scenes (including the Springsteen song over the credits), but not a single frame of Penn's film comes to mind.

It's the opposite for me, I remember almost nothing from The Wrestler, and liked Milk better. Sean Penn gave a beautiful perfomance, and that's why he won. It could have been Rourke also, but I wouldn't say he was robbed.

I'm also normally bored by this biopic performances, especially those that rely too heavily in make up and "looking like X ", and I agree they are over represented in the Awards. But also a lot of the works from the actors are frequently very good, and they actually build a character of their own as they would do with an original character, so there is no need to disregard them.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit sad The Two Popes didn't win anything. It's one of the best written movies I've seen, and Jonathan Pryce was fantastic.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
0k5zg1dwp3g41.jpg

I had no idea Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara was a thing. Maybe the cutest couple of all time.

I just have to comment on this because he's eating a Monty's Good Burger which is a vegan place that I'm lucky enough to have nearby. Very expensive, but they're easily one of my favorite burgers out there right now, meatless or otherwise. Cool picture!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I am late, but I'm very pleased with Parasite getting Best Picture!

I'll admit, I had no faith it would because...Academy Awards. But it did the improbable! Wooo!

P.S. Park So Dam became my new obsession after the film.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit sad The Two Popes didn't win anything. It's one of the best written movies I've seen, and Jonathan Pryce was fantastic.
Two Popes was good. I was hoping for Anthony Hopkins as Best Supporting Actor, I thought his performance was better than Pitt's.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How much of Two Popes is whitewashing the catholic church? I'm gonna watch it eventually but I've been hesitant because of that.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
How much of Two Popes is whitewashing the catholic church? I'm gonna watch it eventually but I've been hesitant because of that.
Not at all I think. Although if anything it might wrongly attribute some faults to Benedict XVI that were actually John Paul II's.

The cover up of a certain pedophile priest

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I remember people on twitter being really salty about Phoenix (for whatever reason), and denouncing him for eating a burger. I wonder how would they feel if they know this
The dude's been an outspoken vegan his entire life, why would they think that would change now lol

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

I watched it with my Catholic mother, and I have to admit I was a bit scared going in. I figured it would either be staunchly religious, or anti-religious. Yet, it managed to ride both lines absolutely perfectly. It's my top film of 2019.

The seamless conversation and humour should be an example to any writer in the industry.