• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen half of the best picture nominees so far, but The Irishman is definitely the worst one for me.

My take is Parasite > Once Upon a Time > Joker > The Irishman.
Have to agree, it's generic mob movie with horrible de aging. Like I have seen this same movie with same tropes a million times.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of 1917...lol

Parasite > Little Women > Marriage Story > Once Upon A Time in Hollywood > the Irishman

*big gap*

1917 = Ford v Ferrari

*sizable gap*
Joker

Jojo Rabbit

there's five great movies, two who gives a shit dad movies, and two absolutely awful films. So of course none of the five good ones are gonna win lmao

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
My best picture running is 1917 > Parasite > The Irishman

If any of the others win, I'll be pretty surprised. These three are a clear cut above the rest.

Saw 1917 today, very impressive. Probably the best war movie I've seen in a long time. Way better than Dunkirk and Private Ryan.

Completely agree. I'm not normally a fan of war movies, but 1917 just blew me away.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
There was a time not so long ago when Marriage Story and The Irishman looked set to sweep the competition, but now Marriage Story's hopes are pretty much just riding on Supporting Actress and The Irishman is eh...there I guess.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time not so long ago when Marriage Story and The Irishman looked set to sweep the competition, but now Marriage Story's hopes are pretty much just riding on Supporting Actress and The Irishman is eh...there I guess.

The Irishman will sadly be the big loser. 10 nominations, might even not win a single award

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
My best picture running is 1917 > Parasite > The Irishman

If any of the others win, I'll be pretty surprised. These three are a clear cut above the rest.

Completely agree. I'm not normally a fan of war movies, but 1917 just blew me away.

My current order is

1. Little Women
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  3. Parasite
  4. Marriage Story
  5. The Irishman
  6. The Joker
  7. Jojo Rabbit
  8. Ford v. Ferarri
1917 is the only best picture movie I have yet to see.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we really claim there is a real bias, when you have two popes claim 2 acting nods, Netflix leads the oscars with total nominations. So what is this bias?
I just dont think they can ever win Best Picture. Next season, they have a David Fincher movie about the making of Citizen Kane and old Hollywood. If *that* can't win BP, its a wrap. You don't get more Oscar baity than that.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just dont think they can ever win Best Picture. Next season, they have a David Fincher movie about the making of Citizen Kane and old Hollywood. If *that* can't win BP, its a wrap. You don't get more Oscar baity than that.

But it's not like it's the HFPA, if they have enough support from the different guilds, they can win it. These guild awards are key, but if Marty can win DGA or Irishmen win SAG, that might show enough broad support. The fact that it's got so many nominations shows broad support

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
"The only way to prove there isn't a bias against Netflix is for them to win best picture" is a ridiculously high standard. One picture a year wins that award. The fact that they have so many nominations is more than enough to show that they are taken seriously at the Oscars.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Saw parasite again and picked-up on a lot that I missed when first watching. It damn well better win best picture

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite > Marriage Story > Little Women > The Irishman > Ford v Ferrari

Yet to see Pain and Glory.

As a huge fan of everything QT has made, I think OUATIH is incredibly overrated.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Marriage Story is my movie of the year for sure right now. Haven't seen parasite and lady on fire though.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite is the only film of the decade worthy flick in the category. Marriage Story and Irishman are great flicks and I'd be okay with either. Anything else ranges from good to why.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen half of the best picture nominees so far, but The Irishman is definitely the worst one for me.

My take is Parasite > Once Upon a Time > Joker > The Irishman.
I like Joker a lot but that's certainly a take, when it owes so much to Scorsese especially Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, and The Irishman is like a full course meal and the perfect capstone to his gangster movies with Oscar worthy performances from three leading actors. It's the movie of the decade for me.

I love Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but there's just not enough substance to it for me to rank it above Irishman, and I'd even give the best supporting actor to Al Pacino even though Brad Pitt was also brilliant and extremely cool.

For me of the nominees I've seen it's Irishman > Hollywood > Marriage Story > 1917 > Joker. I'd be fine with any of those top three winning. Hoping to see Parasite next. It's an extremely strong year overall, with other good movies like Two Popes, The Report, Neighborhood, Dolemite, and Ad Astra.

And I'd give Best Actress to Scarlett Jo.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
My current order is

1. Little Women
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  3. Parasite
  4. Marriage Story
  5. The Irishman
  6. The Joker
  7. Jojo Rabbit
  8. Ford v. Ferarri
1917 is the only best picture movie I have yet to see.
1917 is top 4 material for me among that list (I'd probably have it at the bottom of that though: Little Women, Marriage Story, Parasite, 1917). Pretty good year considering even among the Oscar's tradition of having tame Best Picture nominees, nearly half the list is great enough (and another near half of the list [Irishman, Jojo, Ford, OUAT] are good enough) any of those could win and deserve it

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main issue against the Irish man is the deaging is subjective. It took me ages to get used to young Deniro moving around like pudgy 70s Deniro. I know some people didn't mind it, espcially critics but the effects were divisive.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main issue against the Irish man is the deaging is subjective. It took me ages to get used to young Deniro moving around like pudgy 70s Deniro. I know some people didn't mind it, espcially critics but the effects were divisive.
He definitely didn't look like he was in his 30s, and it's a little distracting that he didn't actually look like young De Niro.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For now:
Joker > Parasite > OUATIH > Pain and Glory > The Lighthouse > Marriage Story.

Yet to see:
The Irishman, 1917(without expectation as usually I don't care about war movies), Little Women.

Not interested:
Ford Vs Ferrari
Jojo Rabbit

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I like Joker a lot but that's certainly a take, when it owes so much to Scorsese especially Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, and The Irishman is like a full course meal and the perfect capstone to his gangster movies with Oscar worthy performances from three leading actors. It's the movie of the decade for me.

I love Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but there's just not enough substance to it for me to rank it above Irishman, and I'd even give the best supporting actor to Al Pacino even though Brad Pitt was also brilliant and extremely cool.

For me of the nominees I've seen it's Irishman > Hollywood > Marriage Story > 1917 > Joker. I'd be fine with any of those top three winning. Hoping to see Parasite next. It's an extremely strong year overall, with other good movies like Two Popes, The Report, Neighborhood, Dolemite, and Ad Astra.

And I'd give Best Actress to Scarlett Jo.
Honestly, I didn't really like Joker at all, so my preference for it over The Irishman is fairly slight. I really enjoyed Once Upon a Time, but I do agree it is flawed. I just found it so much more engaging with my taste versus Irishman.

Interesting hearing your perspective though!

I really want to see 1917 and The Report.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parasite > Jojo Rabbit > Marriage Story > Little Women >> The rest

1917 is impressive, but it reads like a boomer's videogame cutscene :v Dunno.
So I totally expect it to win. Or something just OK to another boomer choice, like Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood or Ford Vs Ferrari.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Seen all the BP nominees now, my ranking:

1. Little Women
2. Parasite
3. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. 1917
7. Joker
8. Ford v Ferrari
9. Jojo Rabbit

Top three are 9 or 10s out of 10 for me, Marriage Story is a solid 8, OUATIH a 7, 1917 somewhere between a 6 and a 7, and the rest around a 5. Pretty decent lineup in the grander scheme of things, a majority of pretty strong movies including a few of the absolute best of the year, and no absolute stinkers on the level of a Bohemian Rhaposdy or Darkest Hour or Hacksaw Ridge or whatever.

Pretty sure 1917's winning, especially after the PGAs.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been having a fun time today trying to put together a list I could call my official top 50 favorite movies. Always wanted to make one but the trouble was always figuring out the details. What really makes the 28th best movie better than the 29th? So I came up with an idea to get around it. It's basically mini-categories in the top 50, and what's been great about it is that I've come up with 50 movies (well, still a few more to decide) that I'm really happy with as a whole.

Unrelated to this thread, sorry. Although Parasite is on the list!

Edit: Link!

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
movie was awesome from a pure directing standpoint though. joker would also deserve something for the soundtrack. the best actor nom is a no brainer. it wouldn't deserve a best script nomination though.
Agreed, direction was a huge factor in Joker's success. Todd Philipps deserved his nomination.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I could see that. I will note that it is something they took into consideration while filming. If they failed at it in your eyes I understand but there is an interview on Netflix about the making of the movie and it is definitely something they kept in mind while shooting. Personally I did not notice but it would not surprise me if I went back and paid more attention to it that they slipped up at times.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The de-ageing doesn't totally succeed at making the actors look as young as they should but it's still extremely impressive in that it all looks mostly believable and blends in perfectly.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
1917 is top 4 material for me among that list (I'd probably have it at the bottom of that though: Little Women, Marriage Story, Parasite, 1917). Pretty good year considering even among the Oscar's tradition of having tame Best Picture nominees, nearly half the list is great enough (and another near half of the list [Irishman, Jojo, Ford, OUAT] are good enough) any of those could win and deserve it

I think I would be a little surprised/upset if Joker, Jojo Rabbit, or Ford v. Ferrari won best picture (and I also think there is zero chance of that happening) but literally any of my top 5 I would be ok with.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I could see that. I will note that it is something they took into consideration while filming. If they failed at it in your eyes I understand but there is an interview on Netflix about the making of the movie and it is definitely something they kept in mind while shooting. Personally I did not notice but it would not surprise me if I went back and paid more attention to it that they slipped up at times.
Pay attention to the grocery store scene whenever you rewatch it, it looks really silly because DeNiro definitely moves around like an old guy. It didn't take me out of it & I still loved the movie but yeah, there are a couple moments that aren't perfect.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't ruin the film for me, I though it was terrific but from my experience, you either thinks it's impressive or "ughh, that's not young De Niro" and for some voters I can see that overshadowing the film's story.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It didn't ruin the film for me, I though it was terrific but from my experience, you either thinks it's impressive or "ughh, that's not young De Niro" and for some voters I can see that overshadowing the film's story.
It is my choice for the Visual Effects Oscar. Definitely more than Avengers (which I love) and Star Wars (which is awful but visually pretty impressive)

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... the Mrs. Maisel cast is right.... Fleabag was the pick there.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That standing ovation for Parasite gives me so much false hope :(

OMFG LMAO. Brad Pitt's speech. I hate the movie but damn.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix won the best actor SAG award.

This pretty much guarantees the Oscar for him.