• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 6 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes, 19 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

92nd Oscar Nominees

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, ok.

Haven’t seen Parasite yet (might see it tonight) but I have difficulty believing the ensemble tops DiCaprio, Pitt, Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, and more.
Setting aside the fact that I don’t find any of the performances in Once Upon Etcetera to be very good so the point is moot, I wouldn’t entirely disagree about the idea that the cast of Parasite is not the main attraction.

But clearly SAG Cast is treated as BP adjacent so the win is correct :)

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
That’s where I’m at, but Parasite winning SAG and remaining in the conversation so late in the game is beyond anything one could have expected
Hollywood lost Ace Eddie, PGA and now SAG, it won't win DGA (that will be Parasite or 1917), and it's not eligible for WGA (which Parasite might also win). This means Hollywood will likely not have a single major guild win, thus it won't have enough strength for best picture.
Barring some sort of miracle Oscar screenplay win for Hollywood (which gives Hollywood a path to win but still doesn't resolve the zero major guild win issue), best picture is 1917 vs Parasite

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood lost Ace Eddie, PGA and now SAG, it won't win DGA (that will be Parasite or 1917), and it's not eligible for WGA (which Parasite might also win). This means Hollywood will likely not have a single major guild win, thus it won't have enough strength for best picture.
Barring some sort of miracle Oscar screenplay win for Hollywood (which gives Hollywood a path to win but still doesn't resolve the zero major guild win issue), best picture is 1917 vs Parasite
I agree with most of this, except I think OScreenplay for Once Upon Etcetera is more likely than not, although it's the worst of the nominees, of course.

ViewtifulJC

Oct 25, 2017

the talent jumped out!

also yeah, Hollywood is DOA. Losing PGA and SAG back to back was big bad. 1917 is winning BAFTA and DGA, Parasite winning WGA(hollywood wasn't eligible but still). Its got Brad, production design and possibly O. Screenplay, and honestly I wouldn't be shocked at this point if Bong got that. There's clearly passion for that movie.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

the talent jumped out!

also yeah, Hollywood is DOA. Losing PGA and SAG back to back was big bad. 1917 is winning BAFTA and DGA, Parasite winning WGA(hollywood wasn't eligible but still). Its got Brad, production design and possibly O. Screenplay, and honestly I wouldn't be shocked at this point if Bong got that. There's clearly passion for that movie.
Talent won tonight

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Film buffs, what's the predictive value for SAG --> Oscars?
Depends on the year, but keep in mind that SAG, by virtue of representing the Actors Guild, is the largest guild in Hollywood. Actors make up a plurality of Oscar voters.

Sometimes the academy screws up and gives the right movie the award.

*cough*Moonlight*cough*
Hell, the 2010s had a better track record than most decades given we saw 12 Years A Slave, Spotlight, Moonlight, and The Shape of Water all win. That's a damned good lineup, and I'd throw my hat in the ring for Birdman, but I know that's a contentious choice.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

the talent jumped out!

You have to remember everyone fucking loves Bong. So he has a shot at screenplay and director

ViewtifulJC

Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember everyone fucking loves Bong. So he has a shot at screenplay and director
Screenplay can absolutely happen. In fact, at this point I'm gonna go ahead and predict it. Hollywood is DOA outside Supporting Actor and maybe Production design.

Director is trickier with such a "I AM DIRECTING" showcase that is 1917 which is no doubt gonna win at the DGA/BAFTA on top of its PGA wins.

Agar25

Apr 12, 2018
If there’s ever a year for a Foreign language film to win it’s this year. Honestly academy would be smart to make that unforgettable history instead of awarding another movie people will forget about in time, plus Parasite actually deserves it