• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the Oscar Shorts last night, I have now seen every nominated film. First time ever. Every year I come up one or two films short.

Looking forward to tomorrow night

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
For the first year, maybe ever I have seen almost all the films nominated for picture and the other categories.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to watch all films in all categories for the first time too, but yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to repeat this next year. It was an interesting experience, but while I watched some great stuff (I'm way too invested in feature documentary after seeing For Sama) watching Maleficent 2 for Best Makeup was a tad too much (even if it deserves to be nominated in this particular category)

Are people out there trying to sleuth out who these secret voters are?
The one voting for their friends shouldn't be too hard.

I saw some people theorizing this one might be Edgar Wright since it's very thoughtful and timeline aligns as the voter tries to explain his thoughts on every single film and he omits Corpus Christi, which Edgar Wright watched the day after the article was released. But who knows.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
Watched Little Women this morning and now have seen all 9 Best Picture nominees. My rankings;

1) Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
2) Parasite
3) The Irishman
4) 1917
5) Jojo Rabbit
6) Marriage Story
7) Little Women
8) Joker
9) Ford vs Ferrari

This was such a great year for film that I would go as far as to say that my Top 4 would all be worthy of the big prize in many other years. Once Upon had the biggest impact on me. That ending has haunted me (in a good way) for many weeks now since seeing that film

It was the front runner up until the guild awards when it became a 1917 vs Parasite battle. I think Parasite has edged ahead and will win it tomorrow

Oh yeah, I guess it's tiering time for the BP nominees:

The Legit Great Tier:
-Parasite
-The Irishman
-Little Women
-Marriage Story

The Almost Great but Still Really, Really, Really Good Tier:
-Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Not Sure What This is Doing Here, but Hey, it's a Lot of Fun Tier:
-Ford v Ferrari

Fine Enough, I Guess Tier:
-Joker

Mistakes Were Made Tier:
-Jojo Rabbit

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see Irishman, Jojo and Ford vs Ferrari. From those I saw 1917 is definitely my least favorite now. And I can't believe Irishman is worse because I consider all Scorsese movies I saw better than it. It's still a good movie but probably the only one I will feel disappointed if wins the BP category.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My ranking of the Best Picture nominees:

Great Tier:
-Joker
-Parasite

Very Good Tier:
-Little Women
-Marriage Story

Good Tier:
-Jojo Rabbit
-Ford v Ferrari
-The Irishman

Not a bad film among them. Unlike a lot of other years. No films that I actively disliked.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Uncut Gems, what a load of bullshit that got no noms. Not just Best Actor, either.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for the Oscars but I haven't seen Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit, Little Women or 1917. I could probably get around two of them tomorrow if I feel like it.

I'm also thinking of watching the event in a 1000-audience theater for the first time.

Of the BP noms I've seen:
1. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
2. The Irishman
3. Parasite
4. Joker
5. Ford v Ferrari

I think I've come to like OUATIH less with time but I've only seen it that once when it premiered. And I didn't like the third act of Parasite which soured me on it. Liked the whole trip and loved the third act of The Irishman. Joker I've seen three times and I really like it. Ford v Ferrari felt great, had great acting and I loved those racing sequences.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Any of those is a fine choice. If you want to see what is widely considered the best acting performance of the last decade (at least in the anglosphere), watch Manchester by the Sea. If Beale Street could talk is fantastic and BlackKKlansman is just a hoot all around. Those three would be my top picks but again, you can't go wrong with these choices.
Manchester By the Sea
12 Years A Slave
Beale Street
The Revenant
Blackkklansman
Star is Born

In that order. All, except star is born are really worth watching
Thanks for the recommendations!

For the first year, maybe ever I have seen almost all the films nominated for picture and the other categories.
Same here.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Legit Great Tier:
-Parasite
-The Irishman
-Little Women
-Marriage Story

-Ford v Ferrari

-Joker

Mistakes Were Made Tier:
-Jojo Rabbit
Largely in agreement although honestly I'd move joker down a tier and maybe swap Irishman and Hollywood

this is the first time in ages there's five great choices for best picture and they could potentially pick none of them lol

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Knives Out for the first time since TIFF, amazingly well done movie. It deserves the Oscar for screenplay, and a best picture nomination. It's the only movie not nominated I'd say that of. I haven't seen JoJo yet but I can't believe that's better.

The Irishman
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Marriage Story
Little Women
Parasite
Knives Out
Ford v Ferrari
Joker
Avengers: Endgame
The Two Popes
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
The Report
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems
Ad Astra
Dolemite Is My Name

A long list and even the last ones ranked there are really good. All of those are worth watching. What an insane year for film.

Last edited:

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
My tier List of the BP nominations:

MUST WATCH AT ALL COSTS:
-Parasite
-The Irishman
-Marriage Story

GREAT MOVIES:
-Little Women

DECENT:
-Joker
-Jojo Rabbit
-Ford v Ferrari

WHERE THE F*** ARE THEY? (aka. Snubs)
-Uncut Gems
-Knives Out
-Rocketman

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing:
- Parasite
- Little Women
- Joker

Good:
- Ford v Ferrari
- Jojo Rabbit

Fine:
- Marriage Story
- The Irishman

Hated:
- Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Knives Out deserved a BP nomination.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Amazing:
Parasite
The Irishman

Great:
Ford v Ferrari
JoJo Rabbit
Joker

Good:

I still need to watch Marriage Story and Little Women

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Amazing:
- Parasite
- Little Women
- Marriage Story
- The Irishman
- Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Good:
None

Fine:
- Ford v Ferrari
- Jojo Rabbit
- Joker

Hated:
None

Knives Out deserved a BP nomination.

Jul 4, 2019
Outstanding:
Parasite

Fantastic:
Marriage Story
Little Women

Great:
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
The Irishman

Good:
Jojo Rabbit
Ford V Ferrari

Meh:
Joker

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Is there still an online balloting/predictions contest online? Not seeing it in a quick google search, just EW suggesting you print-out (Eww) and make your Oscar picks.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019

The Legit Great Tier:
-Parasite
-The Irishman
-Little Women
-Marriage Story

-Ford v Ferrari

-Joker

Mistakes Were Made Tier:
-Jojo Rabbit
I agree with this almost completely. Only change I would make is move Jojo up one tier. Overall, it's a very strong batch of nominees especially compared to last year.

F v F is the only one of the nominees that I would say is unworthy of the nomination. I don't love Joker, 1917 or Jojo but I can totally understand why someone would. F v F is just kinda mediocre and I have a hard time believing many people would actually consider it the very best film of 2019.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just watched Uncut Gems, what a load of bullshit that got no noms. Not just Best Actor, either.
This year A24 had Uncut Gems, The Lighthouse, The Farewell, Midsommar (high highs and low lows but Pugh deserved a lead nom), Climax, The Souvenir (not a fan at all but a critical darling) and The Last Black Man in San Francisco (only thought this was decent outside of the score and visuals) and more and not a single one of them got any Oscar recognition 😬

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full endorsement:
Parasite
Little Women

I enjoyed:
Ford v. Ferrari
Marriage Story

Good but I hate the genre:
The Irishman

Nope:
Once Upon a Time Etc.
Joker
Jojo Rabbit

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to see Little Women and Ford vs Ferrari for the best picture category.

It's really hard for me to choose which I think is most deserving since they're all so different.

I loved: Joker, 1917, Once upon a time..., and Parasite.

My gut says Parasite won't win but it wouldn't be a shock to me if it did.

I enjoyed but didn't love Jojo and Marriage Story. Marriage story felt a lot like a good Woody Allen movie to me.

I liked aspects of the Irishman but I don't think it's one of my favourite Scorsese movies.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Masterpiece:
Parasite
Irishman

Great:
Marriage Story
OUATIH

Good:
Joker
JoJo

Shouldn't have been nominated:
Ford vs Ferrari

Snubs:
Uncut Gems
Knives Out

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't able to get to Ford v Ferrari in time, but I'd otherwise rank the BP nominees as:

Parasite (imo the best of the bunch, Hollywood is just my personal fave)
Marriage Story
The Irishman
Little Women
Joker
Jojo Rabbit

I liked them all though, and unless FvF turns out to be this choice not one that strikes me as egregiously out of place here.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Only movies I didn't really enjoy a ton were Once Upon a Time and Joker. Joker is a good movie, just not for me. I don't really understand the love for Once Upon a Time. I actually thought it was pretty awful, and I love Tarantino movies. The Irishman was very good but probably never watching it again.

Hoping Parasite gets it!

Amazing:
1. Parasite

Great:
2. Marriage Story
3. Jojo Rabbit
4. Ford v Ferrari
5. Little Women

Good:
6. 1917
7. The Irishman

Eh/Fine:
8. Joker

Hated it:
9. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Only movies I didn't really enjoy a ton were Once Upon a Time and Joker. Joker is a good movie, just not for me. I don't really understand the love for Once Upon a Time. I actually thought it was pretty awful, and I love Tarantino movies. The Irishman was very good but probably never watching it again.

Hoping Parasite gets it!

I hated OUATIH too. Waste of valuable time lol

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Masterpiece:
Parasite
Marriage Story

Damn Great:
Jojo Rabbit

Good but also decently flawed in one way or another:
Joker
Ford vs. Ferrari

Okay, very well made but also kinda boring:
The Irishman
Little Women

Actually did not like at all:

Only notable snubbed movie for me is Hustlers but I get why I didn't get nominations. I'd put it in masterpiece tier as well though.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Tried to WATch Hollywood Once Upon a Time... man, I slept just when Brad Pitt arrives at a ranch.

What a terrible movie. Worst film by Quentin. I'm completely disappointed. Parasite and JoJo Rabbit spit on all that bullshit of Hollywood. I hate that every year I have to swallow a movie saying how great LA and Hollywood are. Really really sad about it.

I was defending this movie and cheering for Quentin. I love him, but this movie could be so much better if it was about Leo story about leaving LA and trying to get a life in Europe. Leo and Brad are the only good thing about the movie.

Margot Robbie barely speaks. I hope Parasite or Jojo get the prizes. 1917 is a good movie, but it gets boring as soon as he crosses the bridge of the abandoned city.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My BP rankings:

Masterpiece:
Parasite

Excellent
The Irishman
Marriage Story

Pretty damn good

Mediocre

Bad