• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see criticisms of Marriage Story on the basis of unexamined privilege. They call it out here and there (Alan Alda talking about the laws seeming unfair, but being there to protect single mothers without their advantages; the judge calling out their "means"). You can say it's not about money but the film intentionally drags the material concerns into it, with grant money and buying houses and residuals and all that.

It's emotionally resonant despite that, but it's definitely one of those pieces of media where it's like - these people are rich as fuck but that's the normal environment of the people making it, so it's not really addressed.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Greta was nominated for Adapted Screenplay, it's not like she isn't going to be there at the ceremony.
Right, I'm moreso using her as that poster named her specifically AND she really deserved a Best Director nom. I'm glad she's getting screenwriter, at least, just like I'm glad that at least Parasite is going to sweep.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My picks

Best Picture
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Director
Todd Phillips, Joker

Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Best Actress
Saoirse Ronan, Little Women

Best Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Supporting Actress
Florence Pugh, Little Women

Best Original Screenplay

Best Adapted Screenplay
Joker

Best Animated Feature
*I haven't seen any of these movies*

Best International Feature

Best Documentary Feature

Best Documentary Short Subject

Best Live Action Short Subject

Best Animated Short

Best Original Score
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best Original Song
I submit, Toss A Coin To Your Witcher

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Production Design

Best Cinematography

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Joker

Best Costume Design

Best Editing
The Irishman

Best Visual Effects

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Scarlett deserves best actress and best supporting actress. She just killed it last year. I have no idea how Zellweger became a front runner over her... though Glenn Close did lose last year.
Best actress? Sure, she was great in Marriage Story.

Best supporting actress? Nooooooooo. She was completely unremarkable in Jojo Rabbit, she gets outacted by an 11 and a 19-year old (a 19-year old who, by the way, totally deserved to be in that spot instead of ScarJo).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like The Lighthouse, but how on earth did it not get any acting noms?
Horror usually gets passed over by the Academy unfortunately. At least it got a cinematography nod though.

Willem gave the performance of his career in The Lighthouse, he really deserved a nomination.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
hope to see Klaus and Hair Love take home Best Animated Feature and Short Film respectively, they deserve all the success

of the Best Picture noms that I've seen, Parasite > Marriage Story > Joker > Hollywood and I'll check out the rest over the next few weeks

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I'm not talking about these people and their reaction to their snubs specifically, their art was fantastic and deserved recognition but they will, obviously, be fine. It's discouraging for creatives who aren't your Willem Dafoe or Greta Gerwig to see fantastic work get unrecognized. My point here is that creatives should be able to look at these nominations and still feel proud of their accomplishments with their art, much in the same way that I'm sure Greta and Willem are despite them not getting recognition here.

I think you are misinterpreting my point here. The TL;DR version is that if a Greta Gerwig doesn't get nominated, it's clear that these awards aren't really encompassing the majority of the great creatives that released work this past year (there can only be a limited number of nominees, after all) but her work is still worthy and deserving of endless praise and recognition and hopefully artists like me that see themselves more in artists like Greta Gerwig than Todd Phillips don't get discouraged and see these awards as the only avenue for validation or recognition.

I'm not lacking "self awareness", you just didn't pull the right intent out of my posts which, of course, happens all the time on forums. No big deal but I've communicated my point and that's really all I have to say about it.
Well thank you for taking the time to expand your point.
For my part I am encouraged that there are so many great film makers at work at the moment.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah, I've seen all the best picture nominees.

My top 5 are:

One Upon a Time in Hollywood
Parasite
Jojo Rabbit
Little Women
The Irishman

The only films that really shouldn't win are 1917 and Joker. Both are good to great, not exceptional like the others.

Ford v Ferrari was really good, and Marriage Story was powerful all around, but I still strongly favor the movies I listed. Especially the top 3.

I mean Brad Pitt was alright in "Hollywood" ... but best supporting actor for that performance? Really?
Absolutely deserved. I've seen the movie 5+ times. It's not an alright performance, it's a great one.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The real snub here is Best Original Song not going to Parasite.

JESSICA, ONLY CHILD 😩👊🏻, ILLINOIS, CHICAGO 😝✋🏻

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
oh god it's going to 1917 isn't it.
I've talked myself into this outcome now. Seems like the most likely scenario barring a mammoth Parasite push from the guilds that we're not seeing yet.
I'll seriously entertain it if Parasite wins Best Ensemble from SAG this Sunday.

A win for Boon Jong-ho over Mendes from the directors' guild a week later couldn't hurt, either.
Especially with historic precedence indicating that 1917 and Parasite need a Director win to contend for Best Picture with no acting noms to their name.

The DGAs been aligned with the Academy since Affleck was snubbed for a Best Director nomination for Argo. There's reason to presume that streak will be extended to 7 years given that the only variance between the DGAs and Academy this year are Waititi (DGAs) / Phillips (Oscars) who are widely believed to be non-factors in those categories.

Prior to the Argo snub, the last time the DGAs and Academy fell out of lock-step for the eventual Best Director winner was in 2002 where the DGAs went to Rob Marshall for Chicago while the Best Director Oscar went to Roman Polanski for The Pianist.

If neither land the DGA and it goes to Tarantino, I'm going to probably hop back aboard the OUaTiH train despite the absence of an Editing nom.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, I've seen all the best picture nominees.

My top 5 are:

One Upon a Time in Hollywood
Parasite
Jojo Rabbit
Little Women
The Irishman

The only films that really shouldn't win are 1917 and Joker. Both are good to great, not exceptional like the others.

Ford v Ferrari was really good, but I still strongly favor the movies I listed. Especially the top 3.

Absolutely deserved. I've seen the movie 5+ times. It's not an alright performance, it's a great one.

I mean how does DiCaprio then not even get a nom, he was far better than Pitt in that movie IMO.

EDIT: Yeah I see they actually did nominate DiCaprio. Why though is his performance not getting any buzz?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I mean how does DiCaprio then not even get a nom, he was far better than Pitt in that movie IMO.
He's nominated for Best Actor, I think. I only read the OP once.

EDIT: Yeah I see they actually did nominate DiCaprio. Why though is his performance not getting any buzz?
No idea. He did some of his very best work in ...Hollywood.

Maybe people figure that now he's got his Oscar for the grueling experience of The Revenant, they can go back to ignoring him. Personally, I'm far less impressed by suffering-as-acting compared to the convincing character work and comic intelligence that DiCaprio brought to the role of Rick Dalton.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best actress? Sure, she was great in Marriage Story.

Best supporting actress? Nooooooooo. She was completely unremarkable in Jojo Rabbit, she gets outacted by an 11 and a 19-year old (a 19-year old who, by the way, totally deserved to be in that spot instead of ScarJo).

Yea I was pretty surprised by the supporting nod. She was fine in it, but nothing special.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it were up to me I would have given The Lighthouse three nominees.

Actor
Production Design
Cinematography

Maybe film editing too.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Yea I was pretty surprised by the supporting nod. She was fine in it, but nothing special.
She was absolutely special in that movie and the fact that it was such a different role than Marriage Story really showcased her diverse talent as an actor.

Honestly, as much as I love the awards season and the Oscars especially, it is really tiring to see people try to take down amazing movies and performances. Every single nomination on this list deserves to be there and yes it is unfortunate that there are many people who are not getting recognized for their amazing work but that is going to happen every year no matter what. There is just too many amazing actors and filmmakers out there to nominate all of them every year.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Academy has to know the optics of Greta Gerwig shut out of the best directing category is a terrible, terrible look.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen 2 got shut out of Best Animated Feature

xE5uWgW.gif

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My initial pleasure that Joker got a Best Picture nod and Endgame didn't was quickly outweighed by the fact that Joker got a best picture nomination.

It's a good enough movie but so badly bungles its ending and potential message that I can't believe there aren't 10 films even if I haven't seen them all yet.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Upon initial viewing I was kind of okay with these nominations. But now that I've been thinking about it, there's so much that's not here. These noms aren't as whack as last year by a long shot, but still disappointing. Safe academy choices.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
So my favourite film of 2019 Peanut Butter Falcon by these lists was a fever dream? Or did it come out in 2018?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I can't believe Frozen II didn't get a nomination other than for original song. The nomination committee's children/grandchildren must not have talked about it enough.
Lol. There's no way the $1.4 billion movie didn't have their kids talking more than "Missing Link" or "I Lost My Body". Technically, the new Lion King is the highest grossing animated film of all time and it also didn't get nominated.

It was a very good year for animation, actually, and I think Disney themselves did the push for Toy Story 4 as their winner given that the critical reception of Frozen 2 was just more muted (even if general audiences loved it). I was kind of hoping "Abominable" would get in there, but I'm happy to see "Klaus" get some recognition.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Won't be watching this year. Fuck snubbing Dafoe for The Lighthouse. I had a feeling they would snub him but wanted to be wrong so bad. No one in the Supporting Actor category even comes close to being on Dafoes level in that role. Fucking shame

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im surprised by how much the award season loves Joker, like it's not that great, just interesting to have a comic book mixed with taxi driver instead of RDJ making quips at a CGI grape fruit.