• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think academy voters are so concerned with expressing this sentiment of whose turn it is to win or what they think will draw the biggest numbers (spoiler: nothing will) that they will always forget the best films.

The Florida Project, The Lighthouse, who does Willem Dafoe have to sleep with to get an Oscar?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Want to win / Gut-check think will win without any research or much thought

Best Picture - Parasite / 1917
Best Director - BONG! / Mendes
Best Actor - Driver / Phoenix
Best Actress - Ronan / Zellweger
Supporting Actor - Pesci / Pitt
Supporting Actress - Pugh or Dern / Dern
Animated - I have no opinion / I have no opinion
Cinematography - 1917 / 1917
Costume Design - Little Women / Little Women
Documentary - I have no opinion / I have no opinion
Editing - Parasite / The Irishman
Foreign Film - Parasite / Parasite
Makeup - I have no opinion / Bombshell? IDC
Score - Little Women / Joker
Song - I have no opinion / I have no opinion
Production Design - Parasite / Hollywood?
Sound Editing - Ford v Ferrari / 1917
Sound Mixing - Ford v Ferrari / Joker
VFX - 1917 / Avengers: Endgame
Adapted Screenplay - Little Women / The Irishman
Original Screenplay - KNIVES OUT!!!!!! / Hollywood ugh

Other categories don't exist

General thoughts:
Joker is fine, I didn't love it or hate it, it was fine, but in this context I have to say f*ck Joker :)
I hypothetically root for Jojo Rabbit, I support its existence, but it's mediocre in most aspects. Maybe all.
Would have wanted Knives Out for BP over most things
Really need Hollywood to not win much.
Wanted Awkwafina. Although in terms of diversity, if she was gonna get in, Erivo would be out. So.

Favorite nomination: Parasite for Production Design
2nd fave: Knives Out screenplay

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018
Never mind that, he was specifically dismissive of Joker (wouldn't even watch it) given it just apes his older films.
Scorsese had intimate knowledge of the film before it was even made.

"I know the film very well. I know Todd very well. My producer Emma Tillinger Koskoff produced it. I thought about it a lot over the last four years and decided I did not have the time for it. It was personal reasons why I didn't get involved. But I know the script very well. It has a real energy and Joaquin. You have remarkable work.

"For me, ultimately, I don't know if I make the next step into this character developing into a comic book character. You follow? He develops into an abstraction. It doesn't mean it's bad art, it's just not for me"

He's just not into comic book films.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Every film that became the no.1 box office of all time received numerous Oscar nominations and most of them include Best Picture.....until Endgame with its measly 1 nomination.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really wanted The Farewell to get a nom or two - one of my top films of the year, alongside Parasite and Knives Out.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
does any one have the percentages of academy voters? Didn't they recently add a ton more women and minorities.. yet this is the result again?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Here's another of the animated short nominees... Kitbull.

This is my fave over Hair Love and Sister.
I don't believe the other two (Dcera and Mémorable) are on YouTube yet although they do have sneak previews to provide an idea of what they have on offer.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
does any one have the percentages of academy voters? Didn't they recently add a ton more women and minorities.. yet this is the result again?

This is what I could find.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-academy-members-2019-revealed-full-list-1221972

"The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is keeping up its pledge to diversify its ranks, inviting 842 new members from 59 countries, 50 percent of whom are female and 29 percent are people of color, the organization said Monday. "

"It is unclear how many members the Academy has in total. If all of those invited last year accepted invitations, the organization would have 9,226 members, not including this year's class. As of 2019, the organization disclosed that 32 percent of its members were female (up from 25 percent in 2015) and 16 percent were people of color (up from 8 percent in 2015)."

They are definitely making an effort to diversify their membership. But it is still mostly white men and that will take some time to change.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling it, Parasite will sweep the Oscar in its category. Best film of 2019 and one of the best in the last decade. The best film of the decade is Memories of Murder which is directed by the same director as Parasite.

Sep 17, 2018
Climax, The Last Black Man in San Fransisco, Midsommar, The Farewell, The Lighthouse, Waves, In Fabric and Uncut Gems are all 1,000% more deserving of nominations than stuff like Joker in every category that it's nominated for and they got absolutely nothing.

As a filmmaker and screenwriter, my childhood dream was always writing and directing something and winning an Oscar. Nowadays, I know that The Academy's opinions are worthless and these awards have no connection to the value of the art that is or is not nominated. It's the hearts and minds of viewers that matter and a nominee list this terrible in every regard is proof that award shows aren't a barometer for quality or worth. Safe to say that I can take comfort in knowing that I will never win an Oscar and yet, I will always be one hell of an artist and so are all of the fantastic artists who were robbed here.
A24 sucks at campaigning.

Which one of these films was A24's main push?

In 2018 they screwed themselves by positioning the weakest film in their lineup (Mid90s) as their primary pony. They should've held First Reformed and Eighth Grade off until fall.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite getting a Best Picture nom is already a win in my books.

So happy for Bong Joon-Ho. He's one of my favorite filmmakers and I'm happy he's getting top recognition after making quality films for so long.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joker, a comic book movie, got 11, eleven count 'em on your fingers although you don't have enough, nominations.

Rest of Hollywood, are you even trying?

Auteur filmmaker Todd Phillips showing how you level up. Tarantino and Scorsese, taking notes.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Parasite getting a Best Picture nom is already a win in my books.

So happy for Bong Joon-Ho. He's one of my favorite filmmakers and I'm happy he's getting top recognition after making quality films for so long.
Not enough, it needs to win too. Starts the decade with a foreign film winning Best Picture for the first time.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Joker, a comic book movie, got 11, eleven count 'em on your fingers although you don't have enough, nominations.

Rest of Hollywood, are you even trying?

Auteur filmmaker Todd Phillips showing how you level up. Tarantino and Scorsese, taking notes.
giphy.gif

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I saw 1917 tonight, starts slow but gets really intense and the score is excellent. Very well done, mainly because of it being (seeming) almost all one shot. But I wouldn't put it above Irishman or OUATIH for Best Picture. The cinematography is very impressive technically since it's again all meant to appear as one take but just going by how it looks, it's no where near as visually impressive as Blade Runner 2049 or even Skyfall.

Personally I still would put Joker as deserving Best Cinematography. It's just striking.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
OUATIH will sweep and Parasite will lose everything except International Feature. One of them is about the voters in the academy and one of them is really about the voters in the academy.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are Korean movies always super serious/everyone looks depressed and everything is tinted green like The Matrix?

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone actually watch Bombshell
Just watched it last night. Margot Robbie is the best part of that movie. Would love to see her get the Supporting Actress win, really was the only part of that movie that was noteworthy. The rest is just kind of weak jabs at Fox News and Trump.

Her role should have been expanded. Think her story was the best and her exchange with Charlize is the only part of that movie that felt like it had heart.