• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
First time I've watched almost all of the BP nominees before they were announced. Only didn't see two of them.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the academy's voters seem to have forgotten all the other movies that came out before October

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
These two are a bit strange:

Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks for best supporting actor? I've seen Once Upon... and Pitt is just as much the main character as Di Caprio. I haven't seen Neighborhood but how is Hanks not the main character in a movie about Mister Rogers where he plays Mister Rogers?

What's next, Harrison Ford gets a supporting actor nomination for Indiana Jones?

Watch the movie?

It's essentially Tom Junod (a journalist) learning to cope with his sadness with the help of Fred Rogers after working with him to write a piece for Esquire.

EDIT: Explained much better in other posts.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the academy's voters seem to have forgotten all the other movies that came out before October
I mean, Joker has the most noms. But generally this is how it goes. The movies that get the biggest awards push from studios all get released in the fall.

The film industry has a pretty specific pattern in what kind of films get released when.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About Joker, working with Joaquin is probably difficult but very interesting at the same time. Nice video.

I remember one interview where Todd said that, in the Joker and Murray scene, the cut they chose wasn't the one they considered the best but the one that fits the character better.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saw 1917 today, very impressive. Probably the best war movie I've seen in a long time. Way better than Dunkirk and Private Ryan.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I need to see 1917 but so far I enjoyed every best picture nominee and def think they deserve a nomination

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man I hope Parasite can bag some of those besides just the international one. Would send a nice message to the industry too.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Man I hope Parasite can bag some of those besides just the international one. Would send a nice message to the industry too.
Original Screenplay and Director are its best bets... although it likely needs the DGA win next week to get Director. And yeah, I think there's a healthy active interest from people out there to give it an above-the-line prize of some significance beyond the International Film prize it already has on lock.

Can you really call Parasite one of the most impactful and beloved foreign films of all-time if it simply gets the expected token foreign film prize and nothing else? That would put it on equal footing as The Great Beauties of the world.

That's not a ringing endorsement. It has to get more or it's effectively getting a snub from the Academy.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Part of that is studios are "trained" to believe if you want any serious Oscars consideration, you need to release your film in the 4th quarter. There are plenty of films that get released and then forgotten by this time of year.

And then you have films like Grand Budapest Hotel, which released in March and ten months later had six nominations. I think Gladiator and Silence of the Lambs were released in the first half of their respective years as well.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's amazing how weak 2018 was for Oscar type movies compared to this year
Three of my top 10 movies in 2018 were docs. That's how bad that year was for your typical narrative-driven film.

More insight into how the release of films positioned for rewards has changed over the decades and how Joker's 11 nominations don't necessarily portend to success on Oscar Day nor merit a backlash.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The guild prizes are starting to get doled out and will prompt talk and reassessment of the Oscar race over the next two weeks.

Things kicked off in historic fashion with the Eddie Awards last night courtesy of the American Cinema Editors as Parasite became the first foreign film ever recognized for editing by the editors branch ahead of their homegrown peers. Yang Jin-mo beat out fellow Oscar nominees that worked on Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman and Joker.

Jojo Rabbit also won for editing last night in its own separate category for comedies; it didn't beat out anyone nominated for an Academy award but it did beat out the already snubbed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood so that's still a positive sign for Jojo.

The Eddies have telegraphed the eventual winner of the Best Film Editing prize at the Oscars 22 out of the past 29 years.

The all-important PGAs (and their preferential ballot Best Picture winner) will be awarded tonight.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guild prizes are starting to get doled out and will prompt talk and reassessment of the Oscar race over the next two weeks.

Things kicked off in historic fashion with the Eddie Awards last night courtesy of the American Cinema Editors as Parasite became the first foreign film ever recognized for editing by the editors branch ahead of their homegrown peers. Yang Jin-mo beat out fellow Oscar nominees that worked on Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman and Joker.

Jojo Rabbit also won for editing last night in its own separate category for comedies; it didn't beat out anyone nominated for an Academy award but it did beat out the already snubbed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood so that's still a positive sign for Jojo.

The Eddies have telegraphed the eventual winner of the Best Film Editing prize at the Oscars 22 out of the past 29 years.

The all-important PGAs (and their preferential ballot Best Picture winner) will be awarded tonight.

Thanks for the summary and stats!

I assume PGA is not streamed, is that right? I see streams for the red carpet only.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The Producers Guild of America has recognized 1917 (aka "that Oscar bait film") as their Best Picture of the Year. They have pegged the eventual Best Picture winner via the same preferential ballot as the Oscars 8 out of 10 times since the field was expanded a decade ago. They're one of the most consistently reliable precursors out there of late.

So long as Sam Mendes follows suit with winning the DGA prize for Best Director next Sunday, I would consider 1917 to be your de facto front-runner.

Tomorrow night will see the sound editing branch award their Golden Reel Awards in addition to the Screen Actors Guild recognizing the same 4 individual acting honours as everyone else (aka Phoenix, Zellweger, Pitt and Dern) in addition to announcing their choice for Best Performance by an Ensemble in a Motion Picture. Recent winners of the Best Ensemble award include Black Panther, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and Hidden Figures. Hardly a reliable Oscar night precursor.

That said, if they deviate from the expected individual acting honours, we may finally have something worth talking about on the acting front.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm gonna be pretty underwhelmed if the academy sees a year as interesting as 2019 was for film and they give best picture to fucking 1917

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
1917 looking to be the one to beat on Oscar night. Sam Mendes will have directed 2 Best Picture winners if to comes to fruition. Greats like Spielberg, Scorsese, Scott, Cameron all have directed only one BP winner. Kinda crazy.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the BP race is effectively over, unless the actors' branch sway things in favour of OUaTiH. Trust the academy (and the Producers Guild) to pick the most uninteresting films.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Yeah the BP race is effectively over, unless the actors' branch sway things in favour of OUaTiH. Trust the academy (and the Producers Guild) to pick the most uninteresting films.
I won't even put much stock in a SAG win for OUaTiH tomorrow night given their recent track record and the fact that 1917 isn't in the running there.
1917 needs to get shut out at both DGA and BAFTA for this to be any sort of race... and even then I'm not sure I'll be changing out my Best Picture pick.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I won't even put much stock in a SAG win for OUaTiH tomorrow night given their recent track record and the fact that 1917 isn't in the running there.
1917 needs to get shut out at both DGA and BAFTA for this to be any sort of race... and even then I'm not sure I'll be changing out my Best Picture pick.
Yeah I didn't mean the SAG but come Oscar night, as 1917 doesn't have any acting nominations. This is the first PGA winner since Slumdog I think which doesn't have any Oscar acting nominations.

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't really been following anything. Was wild to see Antonio Banderas who hasn't really been in a lot of big things lately, nominated for best actor. I always thought he was underrated. I remember him being great in Automata

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
In what world is 1917 a bland film. Lol. I normally don't like Oscar bait films but even my roommate who doesn't have the best taste in movies and tv (she fell asleep while watching Avengers Endgame and loved Game of Thrones season 8) told me that she didn't even realize the movie was two hours long. She was fully engrossed with 1917 the whole time.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I used to date someone who is a voting member of the academy. These people normally do not have time. Our process of watching the nominees during awards seasons were him putting the dvd on, opening a bottle of wine and him proceeding to fall asleep 30 minutes in. This is especially true for movies that didn't interest him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I used to date someone who is a voting member of the academy. These people normally do not have time. Our process of watching the nominees during awards seasons were him putting the dvd on, opening a bottle of wine and him proceeding to fall asleep 30 minutes in. This is especially true for movies that didn't interest him.
Yep. A lot of voters don't really see the movies until the end of year screener blitz, tend to not watch them all, tend to not give a shit about many of them in the first place, and also tend to just vote for their friends.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts on 1917? My thoughts on 1917 are that it is very good but when it means beating Parasite in any category it is not very good.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sitting in the theater about to watch 1917 so I'll have my own opinion about it soon. That said, with GG, PGA, BAFTA, DGA, ASC, it's gonna be hard to bet against 1917 for Best Picture/Best Director.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A lot of voters don't really see the movies until the end of year screener blitz, tend to not watch them all, tend to not give a shit about many of them in the first place, and also tend to just vote for their friends.
Yeah. This explains a lot of the politics involved in all of this. It's also why you hear the studios' marketing efforts to win the awards. You also see many 'for your consideration' billboards here all over LA targeted at these award giving body members.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This seems like another point in 1917's column. Especially with the protracted awards season this year.
It's the ideal film for Academy viewers with little to no attention spans.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is its top threat for the Best Picture prize and that film is pretty much just 2 hours of build to set up its final act.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
So who do y'all think will take the SAG ensemble tonight? I want Parasite but my money is still on Hollywood.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I think Randy Newman should win another Oscar for Marriage Story.

I still need to see some of the other films. Right now, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is my favorite film of the year. Irishman is a close second.

I think Joe Pesci should win the Best Supporting Actor award for The Irishman.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
On another note, I feel like Diego Maradona and They Shall Not Grow Old were excellent documentaries unrecognized for some reason.

I haven't seen any of the documentaries in the category yet.