• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, ok.

Haven't seen Parasite yet (might see it tonight) but I have difficulty believing the ensemble tops DiCaprio, Pitt, Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, and more.

Setting aside the fact that I don't find any of the performances in Once Upon Etcetera to be very good so the point is moot, I wouldn't entirely disagree about the idea that the cast of Parasite is not the main attraction.

But clearly SAG Cast is treated as BP adjacent so the win is correct :)

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
That's where I'm at, but Parasite winning SAG and remaining in the conversation so late in the game is beyond anything one could have expected
Hollywood lost Ace Eddie, PGA and now SAG, it won't win DGA (that will be Parasite or 1917), and it's not eligible for WGA (which Parasite might also win). This means Hollywood will likely not have a single major guild win, thus it won't have enough strength for best picture.
Barring some sort of miracle Oscar screenplay win for Hollywood (which gives Hollywood a path to win but still doesn't resolve the zero major guild win issue), best picture is 1917 vs Parasite

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood lost Ace Eddie, PGA and now SAG, it won't win DGA (that will be Parasite or 1917), and it's not eligible for WGA (which Parasite might also win). This means Hollywood will likely not have a single major guild win, thus it won't have enough strength for best picture.
Barring some sort of miracle Oscar screenplay win for Hollywood (which gives Hollywood a path to win but still doesn't resolve the zero major guild win issue), best picture is 1917 vs Parasite

I agree with most of this, except I think OScreenplay for Once Upon Etcetera is more likely than not, although it's the worst of the nominees, of course.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kangho-song-park-sodam-bong-joonho-lee-jung-eun-lee-sun-gyun-and-choi-picture-id1200634937

the talent jumped out!

also yeah, Hollywood is DOA. Losing PGA and SAG back to back was big bad. 1917 is winning BAFTA and DGA, Parasite winning WGA(hollywood wasn't eligible but still). Its got Brad, production design and possibly O. Screenplay, and honestly I wouldn't be shocked at this point if Bong got that. There's clearly passion for that movie.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
kangho-song-park-sodam-bong-joonho-lee-jung-eun-lee-sun-gyun-and-choi-picture-id1200634937

the talent jumped out!

also yeah, Hollywood is DOA. Losing PGA and SAG back to back was big bad. 1917 is winning BAFTA and DGA, Parasite winning WGA(hollywood wasn't eligible but still). Its got Brad, production design and possibly O. Screenplay, and honestly I wouldn't be shocked at this point if Bong got that. There's clearly passion for that movie.
Talent won tonight

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Film buffs, what's the predictive value for SAG --> Oscars?

Depends on the year, but keep in mind that SAG, by virtue of representing the Actors Guild, is the largest guild in Hollywood. Actors make up a plurality of Oscar voters.

Sometimes the academy screws up and gives the right movie the award.

*cough*Moonlight*cough*

Hell, the 2010s had a better track record than most decades given we saw 12 Years A Slave, Spotlight, Moonlight, and The Shape of Water all win. That's a damned good lineup, and I'd throw my hat in the ring for Birdman, but I know that's a contentious choice.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

the talent jumped out!

You have to remember everyone fucking loves Bong. So he has a shot at screenplay and director

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite is by far the best movie of the oscar noms so far. Glad its raking up the awards.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember everyone fucking loves Bong. So he has a shot at screenplay and director
Screenplay can absolutely happen. In fact, at this point I'm gonna go ahead and predict it. Hollywood is DOA outside Supporting Actor and maybe Production design.

Director is trickier with such a "I AM DIRECTING" showcase that is 1917 which is no doubt gonna win at the DGA/BAFTA on top of its PGA wins.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The random scenario I can see is
Pic - 1917
Direc - Bong
Screen - QT

I think he's more likely to win director than screenplay. This is based on nothing, by the way. DGA will help.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
If there's ever a year for a Foreign language film to win it's this year. Honestly academy would be smart to make that unforgettable history instead of awarding another movie people will forget about in time, plus Parasite actually deserves it

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
We'll have a race on our hands if Parasite nabs DGA next weekend.
As promising as the Eddie and SAG wins have been, DGA has always been the most important plum in Parasite's bid for the Best Picture prize.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I guess that makes sense, it's just weird how late 1917 came and started completely dominating the field. It was always a probable strong contender but due to shorter oscar season it feels abrupt just how quickly other major contenders died

There's no way 1917 is winning BP without Director.

Eh, out of 7 last years only two pics won both director and BP. Neither of two major contenders have any major acting noms. It's a weird year. Recently Director started being treated sort of like a consolation prize for foreign directors, so this could still possibly happen. Only one British and one American director won this decade, 1917 winning BP and Bong winning director wouldn't be anything out of ordinary

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Parasite, really excellent movie with great cinematography although without spoiling anything I'm not sure I liked the second half as much as the first. I'd rank it fourth for the year behind Irishman, Hollywood, and Marriage Story, and ahead of 1917. Still have to see JoJo, Little Women, and Ford.

Truly the best year for movies of the decade.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018
Eh, out of 7 last years only two pics won both director and BP. Neither of two major contenders have any major acting noms. It's a weird year. Recently Director started being treated sort of like a consolation prize for foreign directors, so this could still possibly happen. Only one British and one American director won this decade, 1917 winning BP and Bong winning director wouldn't be anything out of ordinary
Acting and screenplay/editing were the strongest aspects of those films, tho.
1917's lack of acting and editing noms means it needs to win at least one major prize, and it's not going to be best screenplay.

But yeah, this year is indeed weird. Either we get the first BP winner with no acting or editing since 1932 or we get the first foreign language film ever. :O

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Acting and screenplay/editing were the strongest aspects of those films, tho.
1917's lack of acting and editing noms means it needs to win at least one major prize, and it's not going to be best screenplay.

But yeah, this year is indeed weird. Either we get the first BP winner with no acting or editing since 1932 or we get the first foreign language film ever. :O
The editing slight seems like a technicality. Pretty much any editing award that 1917 has been up for where it wasn't ruled out before noms because of their silly "single take doesn't count as actual editing" bias, it's won. So I don't put much stock in that omission. Especially when it's an omission that most people expected from the Academy because of the Birdman precedent.

Thus far 1917 has checked off all of the obligatory "no acting nom" precursor boxes. It'll only flub that if it misses Best Director. Winning Best Picture without acting noms, an editing nom, a Best Screenplay Oscar or a Best Director Oscar? Now that would be something out of the norm.

My own final personal rankings (and scores out of 10) for all nine Best Picture nominees now that I've cleared through the field...

1) Marriage Story - 9.5
2) Parasite - 9
3) Little Women - 8.5
4) The Irishman - 8
5) 1917 - 7.5
6) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 7
7) Ford v Ferrari - 6.5
8) Jojo Rabbit - 6.5
9) Joker - 5.5

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
I remember last year when Glenn Close swept the precursors but ended up losing the Oscar. That could possibly happen to someone this year.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
People are putting too much value on the SAG ensemble award.

Of the last 10 winners, only four have went on to win the best picture Oscar. Neither The Shape of Water or Green Book was even nominated.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is it with this Judy nothing-movie winning best actress all over the damn place.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are putting too much value on the SAG ensemble award.

Of the last 10 winners, only four have went on to win the best picture Oscar. Neither The Shape of Water or Green Book was even nominated.

Speculating why it might be different this year, Parasite has no acting nominations but the fact that it won their equivalent of BP shows that actors like the movie enough to vote for it. Can foresee it getting a lot of first through like third place votes, which might be enough.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Speculating why it might be different this year, Parasite has no acting nominations but the fact that it won their equivalent of BP shows that actors like the movie enough to vote for it. Can foresee it getting a lot of first through like third place votes, which might be enough.
Last year Black Panther also had zero acting nominations and won the PGA ensemble.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SAG is still important since it shows a wide spread support from the biggest voting bloc of the Academy. SAG choices tend to be kinda "basic", so the fact that a foreign language movie was able to break through that consensus is strong.

1917 is still the frontrunner but don't count parasite out until the best picture envelope is open

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing as when Julianne Moore won for a movie nobody saw. It's such a weird situation like people just accept it's that person'a turn.

Still Alice made $44 million, which isn't huge but certainly isn't "movie nobody saw" territory, not that that ought to matter anyway. It wasn't even the lowest gross among that year's Actress nominees and was just under Wild.

And by all accounts, Moore's performance was damned good, especially if you look at that year's nominees, which were a fairly uneventful group.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Same thing as when Julianne Moore won for a movie nobody saw. It's such a weird situation like people just accept it's that person'a turn.
It's not really the same. That was Julianne Moore's first Oscar and she was widely considered to be due. Zellweger already has an Oscar from Cold Mountain (pretty terrible performance BTW).

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't get it either. The female lead category is unfortunately quite weak this year but still I would definitely rather give it to Johansson or Ronan. Then again the academy didn't give Close (who was definitely due) an Oscar for a similarly mediocre and underseen film so maybe there is still hope.