• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
e9dobSH.png

This is a mafia game based inspired by the video game 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

When the game officially begins you will be randomly assigned a number between 1 and 9.

You are all just normal people in this game, there are no power roles. Two amongst you however are Mafia and must be defeated if you are to win the Nonary Game.

The game will be have a maximum of 9 phases. Each phase will last 24 Hours.

Players
1. [m] saenima - GMT
2. [m] FluxWaveZ- EST
3. [f] empressdonna - GMT
4. [m] Natiko - EST
5. [f] Apollo - EST
6. [m] Verelios - EST
7. [m] BronsonLee - EST
8. [m] Zippedpinhead - CDT
9. [m] Kopite - GMT+8

Sample Role PMs

Town

You have been selected to play the Nonary Game. You are aligned with Town.

Win Condition: Defeat both mafia before time runs out

Mafia

You are one of the masterminds behind the Nonary Game. You are Mafia.

Your partner and private chat can be found here (Outer Thread Link).

Win Condition: You win when the number of mafia players is equal to Town or if a mafia player is in the game when time runs out

You will have 9 phases to achieve your goal. There are 3 types of phase.

The Selection Phase

In the first phase I will show you numbered doors. You will self select into groups of 3-5 people and enter the doors. The digital root of the group must match the number of the door.

A digital root is the summation of digits until it results in a single digit number. E.g. The group of numbers 4, 5, 6 sum to 15. Then summing those digits 1 + 5 = 6. This is the digital root of the group

The Exclusion Phase

In the second phase you will enter the doors and decide who in your group is mafia. Once inside the door only people in the group will have access to the thread. You will vote to exclude one member of your group.

You may vote as usual. No One is an option, a tie will result in No One being Excluded.

The Elimination Phase

In the third phase Town will sleep and Mafia will choose a player to eliminate from the game.

If no name is submitted a random town aligned player will be eliminated.
---

The phases will then repeat.

If 5 or fewer players remain in the game the Selection Phase will be skipped and not count towards your 9 phases.

Town must find both mafia to win.

If 9 phases pass with a Mafia member remaining in the game or the number of Mafia equals the number of Town the game will end in a Mafia victory.

Mentorship program
For new and returning players who would like some assistance, we offer a mentorship program where a volunteer veteran player can assist you. If you are interested in having a Mentor for this game, please contact your Gamerunner. For more info, please check the main MafiERA OT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
What Is Mafia?
Mafia, also known as Werewolf, is a famous social deduction game that puts two teams against each other: Town and Mafia. Mafia players know who everyone in their team is, while Town players only know their own alignment. Cut into two 'Phases', Day and Night, the game entails Town trying to eliminate the Mafia via discussion and voting while the Mafia are trying to not get caught in order to match or outnumber the Town in order to win.

Interested in joining or learning more? Check out our MafiERA OT!

Fundamentals:
1. All site-wide rules apply here.
2. Unless explicitly told otherwise, players may not discuss this game outside of this thread.
3. Unless explicitly told otherwise, players may not directly quote or post screenshots of any PMs, posts, conversations, or any other type of document that was not made in this thread.
4. Players are allowed to lie, within reason, about any game-related material such as the content of a role PM.
5. Please respect all of your fellow players. We ask that you respect a player's personal pronouns and be aware of accessibility when using non-default text formatting. Please do not refer to, or discuss, player activity outside of this thread, for the sake of the game's integrity.
6. Mafia can be an intense and stressful game at times with situations becoming heated. Despite this, being overly hostile towards your fellow players is not allowed. If a player is caught name calling, using slurs, and/or other aggressive behaviors determined by the gamerunner they will be warned. If these behaviors continue despite the warning that player will be modkilled. No exceptions.

Activity:
7. Players are required to post a minimum of 10 posts per day phase. Failure to adhere to this will first result in a warning. On the second offense that player will be removed from the game.
8. If a player posts fewer than 5 posts in a day phase without alerting the gamerunner to their absence, they will be removed from the game without a warning.
9. If you are unable to continue playing for whatever reason, please contact your gamerunner.
10. If a replacement is added to the game, they may request the current/upcoming night phase to be extended up-to 48 hours to allow time to catch up.

Voting and Lynching:
11. In order to vote for another player to be lynched, you must present it on its own line and in the following format with no spaces: [ HIGHLIGHT ]VOTE: playername[ /HIGHLIGHT ]. Misspelt votes are only accepted within reason. Any other format will not be accepted.
12. To remove a vote from a player, you may simply vote for another player, or you may present it on its own line and in the following format with no spaces: [ HIGHLIGHT ]UNVOTE[ /HIGHLIGHT ].
13. Players may vote for a "No Lynch" to end the day phase without a lynch. This is done by using the formatting above and typing: [ HIGHLIGHT ]VOTE: No Lynch[ /HIGHLIGHT ].
14. When a player has received a strict majority of available votes (>50%), the day phase ends with the lynch of that player. Once a day phase has ended any in-game discussion stops and votes cast after that will not be counted.

Death and the Spectator Thread:
15. Once you are dead, you may no longer discuss the game in any manner with any of the remaining players.
16. Once dead, players may have a choice between the spectator thread and the replacement list. PM your gamerunner for more information.

Other
17. Outside of explicit allowances the use of the highlight tag is strictly for gamerunners. Do not use it.
18. Do not edit your posts or hide content in the formatting. Repeat offenders will be removed from the game.
19. If a player is banned or they are replaced due to inactivity they will have the lowest possible priority when signing up for a spot in their next game.
20. Gamerunners reserve the right to add, remove, or modify existing any rules at any point, and enforcement may be applied retrospectively. However, all players will be informed of changes beforehand.

Game Summary
OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Kopite and Verelios - town have been End Gamed

Natiko and BronsonLee - mafia WIN

!player_list
[m] BronsonLee - EST
[m] saenima - GMT
[m] Kopite - GMT+8
[m] FluxWaveZ - EST
[f] empressdonna - GMT
[m] Zippedpinhead - CDT
[f] Apollo - EST
[m] Verelios - EST
[m] Natiko - EST
!player_list

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got a question regarding the Lynch Phase. "Only people in the group will have access to the thread." Does that mean there's only one door that a single group will enter in, or are there several doors and different groups per door?

OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Got a question regarding the Lynch Phase. "Only people in the group will have access to the thread." Does that mean there's only one door that a single group will enter in, or are there several doors and different groups per door?

In practice it means you will separate into 2 groups and there will be a lynch in each group.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This. And will we ever return to a room? If so, will the previous conversation be visible?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In practice it means you will separate into 2 groups and there will be a lynch in each group.
Okay, so just to be clear, let's say there are 2 groups created during the Selection Phase. Does that mean the next phase will be something like, Lynch Phase #1 where only group 1 can talk in this thread, and then the next one will be Lynch Phase #2 where only group 2 can talk in this thread. And then it'll circle back around to the Selection Phase where everyone can talk to each other again?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so just to be clear, let's say there are 2 groups created during the Selection Phase. Does that mean the next phase will be something like, Lynch Phase #1 where only group 1 can talk in this thread, and then the next one will be Lynch Phase #2 where only group 2 can talk in this thread. And then it'll circle back around to the Selection Phase where everyone can talk to each other again?

I'd imagine they're concurrent.

OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

Once the game is split into Rooms, the game will move to the Room threads on Outer Mafia.

Both threads will run concurrently and both groups will vote on who is to be killed in their own thread. All deaths will be announced in this thread.

OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Good news. I have got a response from everyone so the game will be starting tonight on time.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
yesss I can't wait
FYI for those playing though, I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out today so I will be pretty much out of it for the initial go runs I think

OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
With referene to other discussions in the community about the term lynching I am going to try and do without it for this game.

The lynching phase has been renamed the Exclusion phase, and the killing phase has been renamed the Elimination Phase.

Two hours until the game begins.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I understand with "lynching," but is "killing" also potentially problematic?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With referene to other discussions in the community about the term lynching I am going to try and do without it for this game.

The lynching phase has been renamed the Exclusion phase, and the killing phase has been renamed the Elimination Phase.

I'm all for it. I have no problem with anyone who keeps using it but i've been making an effort to avoid the word. This will make my job easier :)

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

Makes sense, good change.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017

Got it o7

Phase 1 Begins
OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
OjHOcJv.png

Apollo awoke in the what seemed to be a ship's cabin. Disorientated all she could do is try to think how she got here. The last thing she remembered was a figure in a gas mask and struggling to stay awake.

Jumping down from the bed there was a door. It seemed like she was trapped, this cabin was a cell. A bracelet was attached to her wrist but it appeared to be broken. She tried the door out of hope more than anything.

To her surprise it opened. She stepped out into a corridor and heard voices upstairs.

ySHsQgi.png
NkpQXJF.png

The people were all familiar.

It was empressdonna, BronsonLee, Zippedpinhead and Kopite. Looking the other way she saw Natiko, FluxWavez and saenima.

In front of them were two doors numbered with blood.

E7YJaks.png

Suddenly a voice came over a loud speaker.

5K2coYP.png

"Welcome to the nonary game!

The purpose of the game is simple.

Defeat the Mafia to leave this ship alive.

You will have 9 phases to complete this task.

On this ship you will find a handful of doors emblazoned with numbers. We will call them the Numbered Doors.

The doors in front of you are a pair of the same.

The key to opening these numbered doors are the bracelts you possess. Should you total the number on your bracelets and find that the Digital Root of that number is equal to the number of that door, the door will open.

Only those who have opened a door may pass through.

There are, however, limits. Only 3-5 people can pass through one numbered door. This is called the Selection Phase.

Those who enter the door will decide if one of them should be left behind. This is called the Exclusion phase

In the third phase the Mafia may remove someone from the game. This is the Elimination Phase."

When the message finished Apollo noticed her bracelet had lit up showing a number 5.

mig131u.png

All the others checked their bracelets.

fS9TXsk.png

I'm number 6 shouted Verelios.

I see that the numbers of the doors in front of us are 4 and 5. I have written down all the combinations that will allow us to pass through.

It should be easy for us to choose if we just follow this guide and vote for how we want to split up.

sTBvltq.png

1hiRDY1.png

My bracelet is a 9, exclaimed kopite. So if we choose options M through T I can decide to go through either door! My number doesn't change the Digital Root.

To choose what the groups should be for the Exclusion Phase use the Command [ highlight ] Move: [ /highlight] followed by the letter.

You can find the current voting tally here

The Selection Phase Ends in
6zuqt4uhl0

Day 1 begins

SEEK A WAY OUT!

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, good job on all that ace math for us Vere lol

Just going to start out and suggest we should pick one of the combinations that forces Kopite to pick a group to go with. It's a small point all told, but it gives us one additional data point to look back on in the future.

OP
OP
Faddy

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Flavourless version.

Vote for which combination of players you want to enter each door.

Use the Command [ highlight ] Move: [ /highlight] followed by the letter.

Majority will end the phase.

There is no UnMove command so if you want to remove your vote use the Command [ highlight ] Move: none [ /highlight]

sTBvltq.png

If a combination M through T is chosen kopite will pick which room to enter after the phase ends.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I think I got it all down. Only 2 doors for the first Selection Phase. Sure.
Just going to start out and suggest we should pick one of the combinations that forces Kopite to pick a group to go with. It's a small point all told, but it gives us one additional data point to look back on in the future.
For the moment, this seems like a good idea. 8 possible permutations in that range is still plenty.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Faddy Can you confirm that once we go in these doors we just play normal ass mafia? (e.g. no modifiers, etc.)

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I think I got it all down. Only 2 doors for the first Selection Phase. Sure.

For the moment, this seems like a good idea. 8 possible permutations in that range is still plenty.
Glancing through those 8 I also believe it would not prevent any one pairing so while it lowers the overall combinations I think it still leaves us with good ground to work with. Would definitely be interested to hear what Kopite thinks about selecting his own room.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, good job on all that ace math for us Vere lol

I agree with this.

So what are you guys looking for in regards to room assignments?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this.

Generally speaking probably a decent balance between the two groups as far as the type of players in them. I don't know that I would want all of the loud voices in one room or conversely all the quieter folks in the other. Since we're going to have to rely on the impressions people bring back from those doors having a good mix to make sure no one door is deathly quiet will probably be best. That being said, if I come out of D1 scumreading one particular person more than anyone else I'll probably push to be in a room with them.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, no idea. It's gonna be a room of 4 and a room of 5. What it comes down to are the compositions, and I don't know those I'd want to see together at the moment.

I think the 4 deemed the scummiest at the end of this phase should perhaps be in a room together. It'd also prevent dissimulation within a larger group.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Generally speaking probably a decent balance between the two groups as far as the type of players in them. I don't know that I would want all of the loud voices in one room or conversely all the quieter folks in the other. Since we're going to have to rely on the impressions people bring back from those doors having a good mix to make sure no one door is deathly quiet will probably be best. That being said, if I come out of D1 scumreading one particular person more than anyone else I'll probably push to be in a room with them.
True, true, that's a good analysis. It's hard because I'm not seeing anyone on the roster that regularly coasts, so I might just base it off of their activity today, which, extenuating circumstances, yeah, but seems like the best plan for now.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, which group wants to be the lucky group to lynch me?

I think any group will have some degree of talking and not talking, maybe if there is a quieter one they won't get shouted down by the 60+ posters

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Right now, no idea. It's gonna be a room of 4 and a room of 5. What it comes down to are the compositions, and I don't know those I'd want to see together at the moment.

I think the 4 deemed the scummiest at the end of this phase should perhaps be in a room together. It'd also prevent dissimulation within a larger group.
Good point, but how are you going to evaluate and group the 4 scummiest people? One is possible, two is probably okay, but there would have to be an almost unanimous agreement for 4 that doesn't seem likely when we're 9 people.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
True, true, that's a good analysis. It's hard because I'm not seeing anyone on the roster that regularly coasts, so I might just base it off of their activity today, which, extenuating circumstances, yeah, but seems like the best plan for now.

Me! Me! I'm always blamed as a coaster...

Or was it scum mafia player who busses teammates I can't remember